Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

German Leopard 2s vs Soviet-made T-62s and T-72s

not fair sutton foster GIF by YoungerTV

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ShadowyCavernousBufflehead-mobile.mp4

I recall an anecdote from GW1 where we found that an Abrams sabot round could take out two Iraqi shitbox tanks with one shot.

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Can anyone explain why Russia wants this so bad? Human waves to clear a small salient? 

I keep seeing stuff that it’ll cut some kind of lines of communication between two Ukrainian-controlled areas, and that it’ll help the Russians control the Donbas or whatever, but I look at a map, and I’m just not seeing it, because the Russians would then be sticking out with Ukrainian forces on multiple sides of them, and the Ukrainians would still be able to supply their forces, etc.  

Plus, Russians in Bakhmut would just get hammered by artillery and HIMARS and….?

And I saw one analyst say it’d be a huge win that Putin could play up back home, and yet I’m thinking it’s thousands of dead Russians for a town that most Russians would not have heard of,

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I keep seeing stuff that it’ll cut some kind of lines of communication between two Ukrainian-controlled areas, and that it’ll help the Russians control the Donbas or whatever, but I look at a map, and I’m just not seeing it, because the Russians would then be sticking out with Ukrainian forces on multiple sides of them, and the Ukrainians would still be able to supply their forces, etc.  

Plus, Russians in Bakhmut would just get hammered by artillery and HIMARS and….?

And I saw one analyst say it’d be a huge win that Putin could play up back home, and yet I’m thinking it’s thousands of dead Russians for a town that most Russians would not have heard of,

Just spitballing but maybe it is part of the Dnieper-Donets Basin - I'm not an O&G guy but the reserves are 11.5 billion barrels of oil equivalents. However, Ukrainian geologists suggest that recoverable reserves actually may be larger. 

14 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Just spitballing but maybe it is part of the Dnieper-Donets Basin - I'm not an O&G guy but the reserves are 11.5 billion barrels of oil equivalents. However, Ukrainian geologists suggest that recoverable reserves actually may be larger. 

Could be, but if they are burning through 50-70 dead Russians a day, that seems unsustainable, not to mention that’s another 100+ a day being wounded.  They will pay for that elsewhere.

I wonder if this is one of the areas where they have Chechens or Wagner shooting any Russians that retreat.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That is what I see. UA just pull back, let them in, will be their frontline forces, and cut them off. Defend your flanks and hammer them. 

17 hours ago, TexasEd said:

There is a good point here.  We’ve talked about Russia winning when they had the support of England or the US in the past, but when was the last time Russia won a war they started?  

Napoleon - They were invaded

WW I - Got into the war because Serbia was one of it’s biggest allies and was supported by England & France

WWII - Invaded by Hitler who was their ally at the time and bailed out by the US

In each of those cases Russia ended up with more territory than they started with but they were invaded first.

In each case they could use the existential threat to unite the country but now they are trying to make up “Nazi” threats and it is not motivating the troops.  

As best we can tell their main motivations are washing machines, iPhones, toilets and getting out of prison.

I don’t think the results of WW1 were as favorable to Russia as you think….

Russia did not win this war at all. They lost. Hard.

Hell, their whole government system of the czar completely collapsed b/c of it.

The Bolsheviks then signed a treaty with the central powers that led to the abdication of lands: Ukraine, Poland, Georgia, the Baltic states, more stuff in the Caucuses and Finland. This was something like 1/3 of their population and like 1 million sq miles of territory according to the inter webs.

Less land, less population due to war and territory loss, government collapse, and a completely new form of government that then led to millions more deaths due to purges and famine.

That’s a L if I ever saw one.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Could be, but if they are burning through 50-70 dead Russians a day, that seems unsustainable, not to mention that’s another 100+ a day being wounded.  They will pay for that elsewhere.

I wonder if this is one of the areas where they have Chechens or Wagner shooting any Russians that retreat.

WSJ had an article about that. 

BAKHMUT, Ukraine—Oleksander Matviyenko, a junior officer in the Ukrainian army here on one of the most hotly contested front lines of the war, fights off Russian attacks with other defenders nearly every day. But they keep on coming.

“We shoot at them, they send more. It doesn’t end,” said Lt. Matviyenko, 26, a yellow-and-blue Ukrainian flag patched onto his olive-green uniform. “There’s so many of them.”

The battle for Bakhmut has become a bloodbath for both sides as Russia steps up its attempts to take what used to be a quaint, tree-lined city. Ukrainian defense officials said Moscow is losing around 50 soldiers a day to maintain a slow, bruising advance to reach the city’s easternmost gates.

If the Russians break through to take control of Bakhmut, it would open a path to the political and economic centers of Slovyansk and Kramatorsk in the Ukrainian-held portions of the Donbas area, once one of the country’s main industrial regions. Moscow tried to seize the area in a pincer movement in the early days of the war and into the summer. After a lightning offensive, Ukraine regained much of the lost ground. Now, as Russia slowly burns through its artillery stockpiles, defense analysts said, its troops are advancing once again but on tank and foot. This time it is so President Vladimir Putin can tout a rare victory to the Russian people after a succession of withdrawals, most recently in Kherson, giving it outsize importance to the Kremlin, analysts said.

“The costs associated with six months of brutal, grinding, and attrition-based combat around Bakhmut far outweigh any operational advantage that the Russians can obtain from taking Bakhmut,” wrote the Institute for the Study of War, a U.S. defense think tank based in Washington, D.C.

Serhiy Cherevaty, spokesman for the Ukrainian military’s Eastern Group of Forces, said 50-70 Russians were dying a day in the battle.

The fighting has ripped through neighborhoods, reducing outdoor cafes to scrap metal. Trenches slick with mud to the city’s east have invited comparison to the bloodiest fighting of World War I.

In a central residential neighborhood, where mortar shells have chewed through roofs and walls of modest houses, Lt. Matviyenko’s team runs a drone reconnaissance flight. From his hand-held screen relaying images back to nearby artillery units in real-time, Ukrainian soldier Vyktor Yakubovsky spots a new tank position less than 2 miles away to the south and another one farther to the east. Within seconds, Ukrainian artillery booms in the distance.

Russian guns return fire into the city center, which has already been largely destroyed by months of shelling.

“There’s always more of them and they keep pushing harder and harder,” Pvt. Yakubovsky said, standing in the courtyard of an abandoned house, now a temporary position for Ukraine’s drone intelligence unit, Ochi, or Eyes.

Bakhmut was heavily fortified early on in the conflict, making Russia’s task of taking it harder than elsewhere in Donbas.

“Even if the city falls, Ukrainians will pull back to the next line of defense, forcing Russia to fight for another kilometer of land,” said Konrad Muzyka, president of defense-focused Rochan Consulting, based in Poland. 

A Russian prisoner of war who was captured at Bakhmut said his troops would go out daily on missions to try to draw Ukrainian fire, but they weren’t properly covered by their own forces.
He was shot in fighting and taken prisoner on the battlefield. “I only fought for two weeks until I fell,” he said.

The Russian Defense Ministry didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Casualties are high on the Ukrainian side as well.

The city’s only military hospital, where injured soldiers are stabilized before being sent for treatment in the nearby city of Druzhkivka, is inundated with casualties, and soldiers fresh from the battlefield wait in the clinic’s dimly lighted corridors.

A 35-year-old soldier said he had only just arrived with his 71st brigade when he fell under enemy artillery the previous night and had to walk from his battlefield position under enemy fire to the hospital.

“I don’t even know what hit us,” he said. “It’s bad out there.”

The Small City Playing a Big Role in the Fight for Eastern Ukraine
Bakhmut, a city of about 70,000 people before the Russian invasion this year, lies in the crosshairs of the battle for control of eastern Ukraine. Ukrainian and Russian forces have fought viciously over the town for months with each side recently having dug into several key locations in and around the city.
The city sits at the intersection of several major roads and railways that connect the Ukrainain-held areas west of the city and the Russian-held areas east of it.
With valleys and ridges lining a river that cuts through the middle of the city, Bahkmut’s terrain plays a big role in the fight. A ridge just west of the city overlooks the main city providing potentially good defensive positioning for Ukraine. On the east side, ridges along the valleys provide cover from the south and east, allowing Russia good cover to attack the city.
If Ukraine repels Russia from Bakhmut, it can use the city to continue supplying its troops along the eastern front line. If Russia gains control, they can disrupt Ukraine’s supply lines and use it as a launching point to attack the two biggest Ukrainian strongholds – the political and economic hubs of the region – Slovyansk and Kramatorsk, to facilitate a push further into Ukraine.
The battle for the eastern Donbas region has inflicted heavy casualties on both sides since Russia invaded in February and has uprooted tens of thousands of civilians seeking to escape the intense fighting.

Ukraine has made significant gains in the east since September, recapturing much of the north as well as the strategically important city of Izyum, limiting Russia’s ability to advance. Russia’s remaining route to Slovyansk and Kramatorsk is now from the south and east, where all roads lead through Bakhmut.

Russia’s push to encircle Bakhmut has brought surrounding towns under pressure. Russia’s Defense Ministry said its forces have already taken Opytne. In Soledar to the north, their advance has contested Ukraine’s hold on the town, though the Ukrainian military has said it has so far pushed back attacks. In Bakhmut itself, Russians have taken hold of parts of its industrial zone, Ukrainian and Russian military correspondents said. A power plant and the local trash processing center are already under the control of Russia’s paramilitary Wagner group.

The intensity of the fighting stems in part from Russia’s withdrawal from Kherson. This pivotal moment saw Moscow give up the only regional capital it had captured since the invasion began in February.

Russia has already redeployed troops from the southern region around Kherson to the front in Bakhmut, while Ukraine is similarly trying to get more forces to the area, a task that some analysts said could have been complicated by a recent missile strike on the railway network in Kryvyi Rih in the center of the country.

Earlier this week new Ukrainian troops were arriving. A staggered column of T-72 tanks with reactive armor to ward off shrapnel drove into the city. Units of the 58th Brigade, which has been in the city for weeks, were rotating out, and fresher units were coming in from the 71st Brigade. 

As the tanks drove in, some residents waved. Others kept their heads down. 

Of the several thousand residents still left in the city, many said their nerves had been shot by constant shelling, shooting and missile fire that has pummeled the city’s center. Bakhmut’s central covered market has been reduced to a jumble of aluminum. Streets are littered with broken glass, telephone and electric cable dangle and window frames lie randomly on street corners.
Dogs with collars sniffed at piles of trash that lay in piles of small shopping bags.

The center, once a picturesque medley of prerevolutionary architecture and early 20th-century brick buildings, has been bereft of people apart from a few testing their luck in the streets to buy provisions or take care of relatives. On the buildings signs of resistance show: “Bakhmut is Ukraine, Donbas is Ukraine” or “Die Russian scum.”

Not everyone blames the Russians.

Larisa Vladimirovna, 60, said she didn’t leave the city at first because her paralyzed husband needed care. When he died, she said, she asked the neighbors to bury him in the apartment courtyard.

“I wish the Ukrainians would stop shooting, my house is gone, my whole neighborhood is gone,” she said.

Write to Thomas Grove at thomas.grove@wsj.com

TLDR: Russia wants to win something, they had retreated (and capable) troops nearby, and taking it hurts Ukraine’s supply routes. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, statsman said:

WSJ had an article about that. 

TLDR: Russia wants to win something, they had retreated (and capable) troops nearby, and taking it hurts Ukraine’s supply routes. 

That’s pretty insane - even if Russia took Bakhmut, they don’t have the troops to exploit any breakthroughs/breakouts, because if they had such troops….they would have already been able to take Bakhmut (and keep Kherson).

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That’s pretty insane - even if Russia took Bakhmut, they don’t have the troops to exploit any breakthroughs/breakouts, because if they had such troops….they would have already been able to take Bakhmut (and keep Kherson).

Single file vatniks walking towards Kyiv. Keep walking forward Sasha, pick up Sergei's AK and Armor. Don't mind the holes in it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

33 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Does not belong on this thread, but was sent to me from a good ally and I thought the trackers on this would enjoy. We don't have a general War thread. I laughed my ass off. The Swiss win. 

As an American of Scottish descent, I enjoyed that very much

• Hook 'Em 3