Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Latest from local press citing Ukrainian sources are 35 dead and 134 wounded.

Sounds more reasonable. 

The report I read said that Ukraine stated the anti aircraft defense “worked” but was overwhelmed by the 30 missiles. 

Also someone earlier had asked where they were launched from, and it said it was launched from Russian bombers flown into Ukraine.

Orcs killed a well-known volunteer with a disability, Oleksandr Kononov, who was once released from captivity.

According to his friends and journalists who spoke to Oleksandr on social media, the man was shot dead in his house in the Luhansk region in a wheelchair.

Near Belogorodka, the orcs first learned about the history of Russia from their own experience. Orc's equipment could not force the Snake Shafts. Ancient Russian defense systems against the Horde - 2000 years warranty!

• Hook 'Em 4

Another pontoon crossing on the Desna River was destroyed. Katsap scrap metal misses her.

A volunteer from the International Legion sends greetings to Russian whores.

Soldiers of the National Guard of Ukraine liquidated an enemy sabotage and reconnaissance group near one of the settlements in the area of the Joint Forces operation.

All saboteurs were killed. The occupiers had grenades, mines and surveillance devices with them.

"In the Izium district of Kharkiv region, our air defense shot down a Russian fighter with the Stinger MANPADS, it crashed in the Belgorod region of Russia." This was announced by the head of the Kharkiv Regional State Administration

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 3

I found this interview somewhat funny for such a sobering subject. Young lady interviewer is tasked with asking Ret. General Wesley Clark about the war. Clark gets extremely agitated by the questions. Starts off with a clipped answer. Then obviously feels like more should be done and wants to emphasize the enormous stakes involved, but doesn’t want to be pinned down on exactly what measures the west should be taking.

No offense to the interviewer, but I think I would have preferred a longer format. Given who she was talking to and his expertise in the theater, I would have liked to have someone who could have gotten him to expound on his views in a more measured way. 

5 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I don’t understand why Russian trolls waste their time on educated forums. They get called out and ostracized immediately, and their propaganda tends to crystalize opposition. It’s self-defeating. 

It’s like some low-level bureaucrat in Moscow stumbled on TexAgs or Tiger Droppings and assumed that all American college sports forums are dominated by credulous morons. 

All American college sports forums?  Naw.  Enough that it's worth taking a shot?  Unfortunately, yeah ... think surly got a visit because of the whole SEC admission thing.

This is basically the russian version of the Louisiana woman who attacks the McDonald's drive-through cashier because they didn't get her order correct. Except they no longer even have that McD's employee to attack.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Such a bad ass brain trust we have here. No wonder Putin sent that troll over. Surly alone could bring down his empire. We got pirates, food plans, willing to take in all the Ukrainian au pairs, and folks who could go over and fuck shit up. 

Don't forget we have our own Mata Hari, South Austin's wonderful mother.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Didn't someone here mention they have a UKR neighbor who believes the RUS propaganda?

“How do you know which side in a conflict is lying, and which is not? It’s very simple. The lying side is the one that has to bring in censorship, close down the media, and silence its own citizens.”

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I don’t understand why Russian trolls waste their time on educated forums. They get called out and ostracized immediately, and their propaganda tends to crystalize opposition. It’s self-defeating. 

It’s like some low-level bureaucrat in Moscow stumbled on TexAgs or Tiger Droppings and assumed that all American college sports forums are dominated by credulous morons. 

My experience with Russian trolls has been they’re not trying to win the argument as much as they’re trying to confuse the issue. In the past they haven’t been limited to issues involving Russia, either. They love weighing on controversial domestic topics in an effort to stir the pot.

Israeli “trolls” on the other hand, are fucking relentless. No quarter is given on any point. Israel has never done anything wrong in its existence, it’s never had any material help in any way, and any country that backs them should be grateful for having an opportunity to do so. Easily my least favorite to engage with. 

Chinese trolls stick to Chinese topics, are hyper nationalistic, spin a narrative that makes it seem the Communist Party is practically a representative democracy, and they’re the victims of a worldwide conspiracy to keep them down. 

Russian trolls tend to be at their least effective when talking about Russia. But they can be very effective at lobbing conversational grenades into a community in efforts to polarize it. It’s hard to defend against even when everyone knows what’s going on, because opinions are so strong on certain topics. 

That’s why the war on Ukraine is such a nightmare for them. Very little to work with. I still see the Russian narrative out there. Lots of whataboutisms regarding Iraq, the hypocrisy of the west in how they’re addressing Ukraine versus other conflicts, the racism allegedly evident in Ukraine for how they’ve dealt with refugees of color, the supposed biological weapons that the US has been sponsoring, lots about the barbarism and political power of the neo-Nazi Azov brigade, and other nonsense. 

But the overwhelming world response has been pro Ukraine. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

My experience with Russian trolls has been they’re not trying to win the argument as much as they’re trying to confuse the issue. In the past they haven’t been limited to issues involving Russia, either. They love weighing on controversial domestic topics in an effort to stir the pot.

Israeli “trolls” on the other hand, are fucking relentless. No quarter is given on any point. Israel has never done anything wrong in its existence, it’s never had any material help in any way, and any country that backs them should be grateful for having an opportunity to do so. Easily my least favorite to engage with. 

Chinese trolls stick to Chinese topics, are hyper nationalistic, spin a narrative that makes it seem the Communist Party is practically a representative democracy, and they’re the victims of a worldwide conspiracy to keep them down. 

Russian trolls tend to be at their least effective when talking about Russia. But they can be very effective at lobbing conversational grenades into a community in efforts to polarize it. It’s hard to defend against even when everyone knows what’s going on, because opinions are so strong on certain topics. 

That’s why the war on Ukraine is such a nightmare for them. Very little to work with. I still see the Russian narrative out there. Lots of whataboutisms regarding Iraq, the hypocrisy of the west in how they’re addressing Ukraine versus other conflicts, the racism allegedly evident in Ukraine for how they’ve dealt with refugees of color, the supposed biological weapons that the US has been sponsoring, lots about the barbarism and political power of the neo-Nazi Azov brigade, and other nonsense. 

But the overwhelming world response has been pro Ukraine. 

Prove you're not a machine.

2 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

That honestly sounds nuts. You don’t just weaponize a pathogen from a biomedical lab that’s doing research; there are a lot of steps between research and weapon. I mean, you might be able to let a nasty out and get some people sick but a purpose built bio-weapon is something else. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo

There's no way this happens.  Russia wouldn't do that.  They don't interfere with foreign government assets.  I have that on the highest authority.  

13 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

That honestly sounds nuts. You don’t just weaponize a pathogen from a biomedical lab that’s doing research; there are a lot of steps between research and weapon. I mean, you might be able to let a nasty out and get some people sick but a purpose built bio-weapon is something else. 

Unless the biomedical research lab is actually a chemical weapons facility. I don’t know either way, but for the pentagon to make such a stretch suggests to me that it’s more than just pathogen research. 

Unless the biomedical research lab is actually a chemical weapons facility. I don’t know either way, but for the pentagon to make such a stretch suggests to me that it’s more than just pathogen research. 

Or somebody shows up with a briefcase from a lab in Russia with a ready-made weapon to be dispersed at the Ukrainian lab.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

This is literally a week old.  Look at the date of the original tweent from March 6.

Frozen in time.

But technically she's too young to be a tweent.

Meanwhile, I see that CNN is supporting the war effort by running a lot more commercials. 

15 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

It's the primary song from the movie, "Frozen". It's a kind of popular song. Not making fun of you. More making fun of those of us who have heard it a few times.

What is this word “few”, and what does it mean? 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

Or somebody shows up with a briefcase from a lab in Russia with a ready-made weapon to be dispersed at the Ukrainian lab.

An excellent point. I wonder if such weapons have fingerprints on them such that we could say that it was produced here or that we don’t use such chemicals etc. 

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Ukraine is not putting chemical or biological weapons facilities on the border with Russia, within easy distance of capture.

Every accusation is a confession.  "We aren't going to invade" "We won't harm civilians" "We won't target medical facilities" "We won't interfere with nuclear power plants" "We are doing fantastic on Day 17 of our 3-day war"

When Russia started talking about chemical and biological weapons, it's a sure sign they are considering it.

And when they started talking about, my first thought was them trying to use chemical agents to root out Ukrainians in the cities who maybe in bomb shelters or in tunnels, or whatever.

Remember, we never discovered what agent they used in Moscow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_hostage_crisis_chemical_agent

But only a handful of folks died due to gunshot wounds, and the rest of the 170 (or more) died due to the chemical agent.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

This is basically the russian version of the Louisiana woman who attacks the McDonald's drive-through cashier because they didn't get her order correct. Except they no longer even have that McD's employee to attack.

When Luka says he wants his MickyDees, you best believe Luka wants his MickyDees.

Probably should have done it 10-14 days ago.

A public denial at this point from China would spell disaster for Putin at home politically.  China helping Russia cuts off China from the West but perhaps helps get Russia over the hump in Ukraine in the short term.

Like others, I think China sees this as an unwinnable war and would be better off isolating Russia.

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

I've had to help deal with the Russian bots/trolls on forums aimed at kids - LEGO, Minecraft, etc., as well as some hobbyist forums/sites (that again, have nothing to do with the war or Ukraine/Russia) and the bot farms do not necessarily care what forums they are hitting - while I'm sure some humans are feeding them "high priority" websites (reddit, Facebook, twitter, etc.), they are also just crawling the web looking for forums and sites with open comments.  

The better bots/trolls are not straight-up pushing "UKRAINE EVIL RUSSIA GOOD" narratives, but instead they seem to be trying to muddy the waters, pushing out mostly false narratives that could seem feasible to somebody not well-read on the subject, cherry-picking things like comments from Ukrainian leaders or Putin or whoever.

It is slightly frightening in that a lot of people could get sucked in by this stuff, especially when they see stuff that pushes them towards ZeroHedge or Facebook groups or whatever that could provide a lot of biased/false information that sounds plausible.

This entire fiasco has never made any sense to me unless Putin was always operating on the assumption that China was going to help Russia get through this, at least economically. I'm certainly not counting on China to do the "right thing", unless you are considering the "right thing for China"

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

If China helps Russia, consider the entire country a lost cause, and begin immediately plotting with the western Allies to slowly shift manufacturing to 20 other countries around the world over the next twenty years. Do it quietly, slowly, methodically and dramatically reduce our reliance on them. We can teach many other low cost countries to manufacture goods for us. In fact we should be doing this anyway. 

Can we default on the US bonds they own or nah?

Guest Lobo

But I thought, Russia---Good.  China---Bad?  

Manufacturing goes back to Mexico, India, and Thailand...and it's game over for China. 

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Make Central America the manufacturing hub. Good supply lines north and south. Sure, Maersk will be pissed, but.... 

Mexico provides the energy, improve lives in Central America and we get the goods we want. 

Such a fucking no-brainer.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Such a fucking no-brainer.

Yep, and turn the ex-military bases into immigration zones with attached industry. This is so fucking easy to implement. All it takes is the courage in our leadership to say fuck you china, watch what we are about to do. 

• Like 1