Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 minutes ago, Cacti said:

We ought to make it clear to China that if they provide military assistance to Russia, then we will in turn ratchet up our military sales to Taiwan, including the F-35 and our more advanced anti-ship missiles.

China isn't stupid they aren't getting involved. If it was just the US and Ukraine they would, this is the whole world vs Russia. China needs to steer clear for their own sake. 

4 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

It's a bit jarring to see a USAF Osprey in one of those clips.  That must be old footage.  I thought that the Air Force had dropped the Osprey, and they wouldn't be operating inside Ukraine, anyway.

It was probably from joint operations last year. We use Ospreys in the Marines.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Cacti said:

We ought to make it clear to China that if they provide military assistance to Russia, then we will in turn ratchet up our military sales to Taiwan, including the F-35 and our more advanced anti-ship missiles.

Yep, but they have a TON of US stuff already.  China would be bloodied beyond belief trying to take them.  They flying F-16's now?  More advanced planes would be needed, but possibly fears of them falling into Chinese hands?

4 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

It was probably from joint operations last year. We use Ospreys in the Marines.

If you stop the video and look at the tail, it is marked USAF.  It is also in the overall dark gunship gray that the Air Force used, not the two toned lighter gray the Marines use.  I agree that it has to be from previous joint ops, but it's still weird to see it there.  I bet it also raises some conspiracy theories.

Edited by Scheiss Meister
Hit the wrong thing.

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Seems to be reliable intel coming from the UA side, so hopefully it's just 3rd rate equipment, supply and logistics stuff, food, etc.  Now if this ramps up, this becomes a proxy war fast and in comes NATO air power.

*does China intervening make nuclear escalation more or less likely?  Seems they would have every bit the vested interest in keeping things conventional and now have a seat at the table?

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

I would think if the Chinese are supplying the Russians, it’s with the understanding that this thing will stay conventional. I mean, the Norilsk nickel mine doesn’t have a lot of value If the entire northern Hemisphere is glowing.

China isn't going to provide troops, and there's a decent chance that if they try too much, we'll start pumping a lot more air and sea defense into Taiwan.  Hell, we should almost be doing that now.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, MillerEP said:

Translation:

"What's happening in Ukraine is a crime, and Russia is the aggressor. The responsibility for this aggression lies with one man: Vladimir Putin. My father is Ukrainian, my mother is Russian, and they were never enemies. This necklace [shows] Russia must stop this fratricidal war."
"Unfortunately, for the last few years I've been working for Channel One. I've been doing Kremlin propaganda and I'm very ashamed of it – that I let people lie from TV screens and allowed the Russian people to be zombified."
"We didn't say anything in 2014 when it only just began. We didn't protest when the Kremlin poisoned Navalny. We just silently watched this inhuman regime. Now the whole world has turned away from us, and ten generations of our descendants won't wash off this fratricidal war."

She is just fucking amazing and brave as hell.  She's going to be tortured and who knows what else, maybe even killed, and I wouldn't be surprised if her male relatives are "volunteered" to serve in Ukraine, but seriously, this stuff gives me some hope - she gave up a cushy/reliable job and her freedom for this.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

China isn't going to provide troops, and there's a decent chance that if they try too much, we'll start pumping a lot more air and sea defense into Taiwan.  Hell, we should almost be doing that now.

I always wondered in there was a nuke or two in Taiwan.....and I don't' want to find out...

Edited by BabaYaga

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

You know your president is toxic when he asks for help from a country and then that country’s market tanks. 

Kind of reminds me of the Dave Chappell quote on being famous. “I never knew how famous a president could be. Someone could suck your dick, and then they become famous.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Let me see what I can do.  Let's start:

Must have 5+ years combined experience from either military and/or private military experience with at least 1 year of overseas combat experience.  Nope.  Ok fine...
– Have strong working knowledge of how to implement Soviet-era and NATO small arms.  Check...sort of.  I have an SKS, had a few AK's
– Have critical thinking skills with ability to work through complex problems quickly and efficiently for the preservation of life Well Fuck
– Ability to navigate with map and compass Meh, sort of...
– Candidate must be very physically fit  Define "very".....
– Possess a high-degree of professionalism, responsibility, resolve and maturity Fuck me, I'm out
– Must be able to brief, persuade, and instruct others on objective requirements Shit

• Must have 5+ years combined experience from either military and/or private military experience with at least 1 year of overseas combat experience.   Not 5+ years and no combat (unless you count  bar hopping in Juarez or engaging with certain women in Lawton, OK)
  • Have strong working knowledge of how to implement Soviet-era and NATO small arms.   Have shot an AK-47 and an AK-74, and have a couple of shitty SKS's I bought right before the AWB in '94 thinking I could profit off of them, that I would not actually fire because they were so fucking cheap.
  • Have critical thinking skills with ability to work through complex problems quickly and efficiently for the preservation of life.  I'm really good at Mario Kart, Quake (the original) and some of the Civlization games.  If there's no grappling hooks I can use to get around, I'm kinda fucked.
  • Ability to navigate with map and compass  Actually yes, when I did my AIT, even though GPSes were starting to become standard, they wouldn't let us use them very much until they were satisfied we could do it without electronics.  Plus, I was in high school in the Houston area in the late 80s, which meant learning to navigate Houston with a Key Map.  But I would need a refresher as the last 25 years have seen me navigate using "hours" as a unit of distance.  I don't think you can call in artillery or air strikes based on "5 minute walk north of me there are Russians" or "There's a Russian artillery unit an hour north of Kyiv".
  • Candidate must be very physically fit.   I just need to drop 20-25 pounds and go from jogging a mile or two a day to 5 or more???  And I need to drop 10 years off my life.  shit.gif
  • Possess a high-degree of professionalism, responsibility, resolve and maturity   I'm posting on Surly, so...
  • Must be able to brief, persuade, and instruct others on objective requirements   Does being able to use "HEY EVERYBODY WE'RE ALL GONNA GET LAID" in a motivational speech count?

Oh well.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I don’t know about that last part, but the idea of the Chinese selling back to the Russians second and third line military equipment originally purchased from…..Russia, is pretty amusing.

And have them pay in oil not Rubles

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

You know your president is toxic when he asks for help from a country and then that country’s market tanks. 

Kind of reminds me of the Dave Chappell quote on being famous. “I never knew how famous a president could be. Someone could suck your dick, and then they become famous.”

I certainly don't follow their market but China also just went full blown into Covid lockdown 2020 style in pursuit of a zero Covid strategy.  So that may have a lot to do with market tanking.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Anyone feeling froggy?

Ninja time

From the listing:

Only highly experienced candidates who possess at least 5+ years of military experience in this region of Europe will be considered for this role – no exceptions.

That really limits things.  Maybe some Green Berets with 10th Special Forces (I think they were the ones in Europe).  Maybe some soldiers who served in Bosnia - I think we have/had a camp in Bosnia and Herzegovina for quite a few years, like pushing a decade, so it's possible some folks did multiple tours there.

This is a deal breaker and pretty much limits you to Green Berets and maybe some Rangers (actual 75th) who did some civilian work:

NOTE: If you do not have extensive prior experience protecting private clients in a solo practitioner / small team capacity and 5+ years of military experience, you will not be competitive.  

But wait, I can do these, 

– Flex and adapt as needed based on SALUTE types of intelligence
– Work weekdays, weekends, late hours and holidays

SALUTE?  I KNOW WHAT SALUTE IS!  

oh-i-know-that-dan-levy.gif

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

This is a deal breaker and pretty much limits you to Green Berets and maybe some Rangers (actual 75th) who did some civilian work:

That you know about....:)

(HiFiGIF.cc)_us-navy-seals-us-navy-us-mi

We have close to 100K troops in Europe.  Guessing there are ninja's all over the place over there doing "gods work" 

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

I think I saw this at HEB during COVID. It might have been stevia, though.

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Surly is well-steeped in the Sugar wars. It's a battlefield.

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

We have suga' for dayz...

lT2vdv.gif

It was flour and yeast so people could practice their baking skills at home.  I wish my wife had taken up making home made bread.  We only get banana bread.

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I certainly don't follow their market but China also just went full blown into Covid lockdown 2020 style in pursuit of a zero Covid strategy.  So that may have a lot to do with market tanking.

This.  It's almost certain that the stock market drop was due to a cascade of new COVID lockdowns in China, and their impact on commerce.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That really limits things.  Maybe some Green Berets with 10th Special Forces (I think they were the ones in Europe).  Maybe some soldiers who served in Bosnia - I think we have/had a camp in Bosnia and Herzegovina for quite a few years, like pushing a decade, so it's possible some folks did multiple tours there

We had quite a few bases there. Tuzla was the big one in Bosnia. Also Bondsteel in Kosovo. We also have increased our presence in Romania over the past 10 years.

Keep in mind we have been training all over Eastern Europe for years. So you will have all sorts of ex-army dudes with experience over there. 

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  It's almost certain that the stock market drop was due to a cascade of new COVID lockdowns in China, and their impact on commerce.

They've had COVID lockdowns off and on throughout.  The original lockdown in 2020, with alleged welding shut of doors, was stricter than this.  And yet their market still didn't take this kind of beating.

It's almost certain that it's a combination.

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

They've had COVID lockdowns off and on throughout.  The original lockdown in 2020, with alleged welding shut of doors, was stricter than this.  And yet their market still didn't take this kind of beating.

Surely the war is a factor, but the change in lockdown status etc. has been pretty dramatic the past 48 hours.  Shit's moving fast in China, and it's just shut down some major manufacturers.  That has to be a big player in stock market performance, almost certainly the biggest.

But, the overarching point remains true -- it's not in China's economic short-term interest to help Russia.  The challenge is, China plays the long game.

7 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Probably, but it was/is is Schenzen, the hub of all their tech resources (their silicon valley)

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Probably, but it was/is is Schenzen, the hub of all their tech resources (their silicon valley)

Yeah,  I know.  I work for a very large computer manufacturing company, and I directly manage Chinese suppliers.  I'm pretty familiar with this stuff...

Yep, but they have a TON of US stuff already.  China would be bloodied beyond belief trying to take them.  They flying F-16's now?  More advanced planes would be needed, but possibly fears of them falling into Chinese hands?

Anything we sell to Taiwan is subject to espionage or plans being sold to China.  If Taiwan has it it is compromised to China.

• Rage+1 2

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah,  I know.  I work for a very large computer manufacturing company, and I directly manage Chinese suppliers.  I'm pretty familiar with this stuff...

Gotcha.  Not my field.  Do you ascribe to the thoughts that their economy is in much worse shape than people think?

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Gotcha.  Not my field.  Do you ascribe to the thoughts that their economy is in much worse shape than people think?

Something is very wrong over there, without a doubt.  Typically when demand on products like the ones my team manages increase dramatically, they're able to stand up new manufacturing lines in a matter of weeks, and entirely new manufacturing facilities in under 6 months.  It's been over 18 months now and they haven't recovered.  This is not normal for them.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, utee94 said:

Something is very wrong over there, without a doubt.  Typically when demand on products like the ones my team manages increase dramatically, they're able to stand up new manufacturing lines in a matter of weeks, and entirely new manufacturing facilities in under 6 months.  It's been over 18 months now and they haven't recovered.  This is not normal for them.

Everything I've read indicates they had a bigger real estate bust than we did 15 years ago.  Only difference, is that they (their government) has intervened to prevent a giant free fall.  Given that they can essentially privately cook the books, at least for a while they can conceal some of the economic hardship.  But eventually, when you rob peter to pay paul, there is only so long you can go before the house of cards falls.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

This has been my thoughts, that there is more here than they are letting on.  Interdasting

BUT, many economists posit the crash in '08 came from the east (influx of capital), so a sick China = sick US.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Everything I've read indicates they had a bigger real estate bust than we did 15 years ago.  Only difference, is that they (their government) has intervened to prevent a giant free fall.  Given that they can essentially privately cook the books, at least for a while they can conceal some of the economic hardship.  But eventually, when you rob peter to pay paul, there is only so long you can go before the house of cards falls.  

Let's not forget all their giant RE companies coughing up blood many months back (Evergrande and others)

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Surely the war is a factor, but the change in lockdown status etc. has been pretty dramatic the past 48 hours.  Shit's moving fast in China, and it's just shut down some major manufacturers.  That has to be a big player in stock market performance, almost certainly the biggest.

Let's hope it's not some fucked up strain that we will all find out about in a month or two.

New Year Goodbye GIF by INTO ACTION

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Let's hope it's not some fucked up strain that we will all find out about in a month or two.

I mean.....have you been paying any attention?  That's almost a certainty.  

This fucking decade.  This fucking decade.....that we're only 22% through.......furk.

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

“Slovak Defense Minister Jaroslav Nad expects a Russian attack on the Slovak border in coming days. Specifically on the Uzhgorod International Airport, which is located just under two kilometers from Slovakia, NATO territory.”

Actually, the runway ends just a few hundred feet from the border.

For those dreaming of dragging multiple Migs across the border (/no Jodie Foster), this is where you'd make a cornfield airstrip and clear a few trees for a path.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.6369488,22.2526891,2591m/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e1

3 hours ago, MillerEP said:

Putin on the (Biar)ritz

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

8 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Or as my wife put it yesterday Omicron Pro Max 2.0 Special Edition.

My wife calls it delticron

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Let's not forget all their giant RE companies coughing up blood many months back (Evergrande and others)

Oh they are all upside down, its a matter of how much.  They are doing their own quantitative easing, albeit behind the scenes.  As you say China's economy sucks, our will eventually get hit with it, just a question of how bad.  Hopefully just a small bump in the road.  Turning a blind eye to their shenanigans on money may well be in our best economic interests at the moment.

It's a bit jarring to see a USAF Osprey in one of those clips.  That must be old footage.  I thought that the Air Force had dropped the Osprey, and they wouldn't be operating inside Ukraine, anyway.
The Air Force still has the CV-22s at a few locations (Kirtland &Hurlburt Field) and have roughly 48-60 jets. While it had a tumultuous beginning and carried the moniker of widowmaker, it's a great asset to have in theater.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Taiwan wain has roughly 140 F-16s but they are block 30s (IIRC) and those are old as dirt nowadays. Taiwan did place an order for 60+ block 70 F-16s a few years ago. They should be taking those soon, that jet is phenomenal as a 4th gen fighter.

RALee has been posting a lot of these public memorial services for Russian soldiers.  Makes me wonder if it's sinking in with the Russian public, because we know several thousand have been killed already.  Edit: Have also yet to see a Spetsnaz that was physically impressive.

Edited by atomheartbevo