Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Seems like shit is getting real in the east.  It's going to be gruesome, and indiscriminate.  Prepare for a shitload of images of cities and towns blown to complete hell.  And through all of that, there's only two questions: 1) can the Russian military make any meaningful advances, and/or 2) can the UA hold them off and/or make any meaningful counterattacks.

It's all about gains or losses in position.  Whatever the tally, the cost in death and destruction will be shittacular.

• Rage+1 2

The May 9th deadline is real.  They have to inflict a lot of damage to be able to declare victory and finish this before then.  The challenge is to convince Ukraine that it’s over.  I don’t think that’s going to happen.  And then the tactical nuke or chemical strike will happen.

I don't think we should put any stock on that May 9th date. The talk was they wanted to give Mariupol (I.e. "The city of Mary) up as an Easter gift to Putin, which is why they did that deadline. That didn't happen, so they just moved the goalposts. If they don't have anything real to show for it by May 9th, I doubt it really matters. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

The May 9th deadline is real.  They have to inflict a lot of damage to be able to declare victory and finish this before then.  The challenge is to convince Ukraine that it’s over.  I don’t think that’s going to happen.  And then the tactical nuke or chemical strike will happen.

You're probably right.  Russia is going to fight this as a "total war," and Ukraine is not going to quit.  Something has to give, so it'll probably be a nuke.

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

I guess I should know the word, defilades. The strategy makes sense, but for how many years? At some point, it seems that Ukraine needs to drive out Russia. Otherwise, NATO politicians and the public are going to get bored and go on to the next big catastrophe.

Defensive positions that provide a front behind cover that is not flanked

4 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

The training of the UA by the US on artillery is interesting. Means we think they can hold ground and get ready to slug it out. 

Something I read said it was a system similar to ones they already use, just a different size, so it wouldn't take long to get them up to speed.

1 minute ago, MillerEP said:

I don't think we should put any stock on that May 9th date. The talk was they wanted to give Mariupol (I.e. "The city of Mary) up as an Easter gift to Putin, which is why they did that deadline. That didn't happen, so they just moved the goalposts. If they don't have anything real to show for it by May 9th, I doubt it really matters. 

I hope you’re right and I’m wrong.  But every time Putin has been embarrassed it’s gotten way worse.  After the most recent strikes on Lviv I also think the line is creeping to the Polish border for missiles.  

Also they have used a couple of delivery systems that work for nukes (Kalibr, TU-160, etc) recently to try and demonstrate strength.

It’s becoming a lot more dangerous situation.

From one of Miller's earlier posts - if the below is the case and a Senator is going on official Russian media and claiming that the war in Ukraine is almost over, it makes me wonder if Russia will try to hammer the Ukrainians hard for a few days or a week or so, and then quickly pull back to the borders of Donbas/etc., claim victory, sue for peace, and hope that the Russian people won't learn what really happened for a long time to come, and hope for some other things to change or revert back to the way they were before February 24th.

The May 9th deadline keeps getting kicked around, but there's a lot of chatter that the sanctions/etc., are starting to have a real impact, and the Russian government is worried about the impact over the coming months - they maybe looking at a point where they have to try and disengage as much as possible and try and resume some normalcy with the West (while not fully comprehending that many countries in the West are looking to end Putin's reign in some fashion).

We focus a lot on the human cost, but I believe that the longer this goes on, the more chances that Europe fully disengages from Russian oil & gas rapidly increase, which is going to damage Russia in the long term. Yeah, some nations maybe wavering, but in the long run, if this continues, Germany, etc. won't want anything to do with Russian o&g, because they don't want to go through this shit in the future when Russia fucks around with Ukraine or Georgia or Moldova.

And if Russia is truly worried about Sweden and Finland joining NATO, I would think it would try to end the fighting in some manner ASAP, because the longer this drags on, and the more dead civilians we see, the higher the chances are that Sweden and Finland will join NATO.

15 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

I hope you’re right and I’m wrong.  But every time Putin has been embarrassed it’s gotten way worse.  After the most recent strikes on Lviv I also think the line is creeping to the Polish border for missiles.  

Also they have used a couple of delivery systems that work for nukes (Kalibr, TU-160, etc) recently to try and demonstrate strength.

It’s becoming a lot more dangerous situation.

Are they trying to demonstrate strength?

Or are they trying to use systems that actually work well?  

Because a lot of the systems they had been using were absolute shit - either inaccurate (and therefore a massive waste of money/resources), or they were getting shot down by the Ukrainians.  Either way, those systems were not helping the Russian military take and hold territory, and they desperately need to take and hold territory right now.

If they are using better/more capable delivery systems against areas such as Lviv, these could actually benefit the Russian military in Donbas/etc., because if the Russians can't choke or constrain the supply lines in some manner, there's a real chance that they lose Donbas, etc.,  And if the Ukrainians roll them up in the south, that puts Crimea back into play.

54 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

From one of Miller's earlier posts - if the below is the case and a Senator is going on official Russian media and claiming that the war in Ukraine is almost over, it makes me wonder if Russia will try to hammer the Ukrainians hard for a few days or a week or so, and then quickly pull back to the borders of Donbas/etc., claim victory, sue for peace, and hope that the Russian people won't learn what really happened for a long time to come, and hope for some other things to change or revert back to the way they were before February 24th.

The May 9th deadline keeps getting kicked around, but there's a lot of chatter that the sanctions/etc., are starting to have a real impact, and the Russian government is worried about the impact over the coming months - they maybe looking at a point where they have to try and disengage as much as possible and try and resume some normalcy with the West (while not fully comprehending that many countries in the West are looking to end Putin's reign in some fashion).

We focus a lot on the human cost, but I believe that the longer this goes on, the more chances that Europe fully disengages from Russian oil & gas rapidly increase, which is going to damage Russia in the long term. Yeah, some nations maybe wavering, but in the long run, if this continues, Germany, etc. won't want anything to do with Russian o&g, because they don't want to go through this shit in the future when Russia fucks around with Ukraine or Georgia or Moldova.

And if Russia is truly worried about Sweden and Finland joining NATO, I would think it would try to end the fighting in some manner ASAP, because the longer this drags on, and the more dead civilians we see, the higher the chances are that Sweden and Finland will join NATO.

That was absolutely the play during the Winter War.  The Soviets continued that war right up until France and Britain figured out a way to supply Finland with arms through Sweden.  and, at the same time, a British air strike on the Baku oil fields from British air fields in Iran and Turkey looked increasingly possible/likely.  Once that pressure got turned up, the Soviets quickly took their gains and called it a day.

That's really what we need to do--tell the Russians that if they don't find a way to end the war by May 9, we're going to declare Russia to be a state sponsor of terrorism and impose secondary sanctions.  Watch how fast the war ends.

• Hook 'Em 3

The conscripts on the Moskva are starting to get a lot of attention (link in the tweet below, you'll need to run it through translation software).

Lot of families of conscripts on the Moskva are asking questions.  Some are bitching publicly (and then mysteriously deleting their social media posts).

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

That was absolutely the play during the Winter War.  The Soviets continued that war right up until France and Britain figured out a way to supply Finland with arms through Sweden.  and, at the same time, a British air strike on the Baku oil fields from British air fields in Iran and Turkey looked increasingly possible/likely.  Once that pressure got turned up, the Soviets quickly took their gains and called it a day.

That's really what we need to do--tell the Russians that if they don't find a way to end the war by May 9, we're going to declare Russia to be a state sponsor of terrorism and impose secondary sanctions.  Watch how fast the war ends.

And there is some financial pressure - 

Remember I said the OSINT people are actively tracking the confirmed Russian dead (officers) and this is one of them:

Spreadsheet with names, etc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_bpIqkzD88hlSpA-PDZenSQGNnVnxz3lwYHKViSyuUc/edit#gid=1361265165

These are just officers that they've seen public notices published in Russia for, or that there's been positive IDs of the bodies by Ukrainians, so there's probably dozens of missing officers.

Remember this guy? 

skynews-viktor-medvedchuk-ukraine_573802

His wife wants him released

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/wife-of-putin-ally-medvedchuk-begs-zelensky-for-his-release-xq3l66ln8

Viktor Medvedchuk, 67, a Ukrainian parliamentarian and a close confidant of Putin, was captured on the Moldovan border after he escaped from house arrest in Kyiv.

His wife, Oksana Marchenko, 48, a well-known television personality who presented X Factor Ukraine, released a video yesterday addressed to President Zelensky asking for his release.

“I, Oksana Marchenko, the wife of Ukrainian parliament member Viktor Medvedchuk, request President Zelensky to take all the necessary measures for the immediate release of my husband, who is being illegally detained by the SBU,” she said.

T6Pcxjro?format=jpg&name=medium

ryan reynolds hd GIF

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Similar to Putin's handling of the Kursk.

Unlike the Special Military Land Operation, whose dead have a slim chance of being repatriated to their families, the Special Military Sea Operation won't produce any corpses for burial.

Edit: There's a lot of chatter of folks reading Russian social media, that families are claiming many of the officers survived, while the enlisted didn't.

That's a great fucking way to get some shit stirred up.

Edited by atomheartbevo

10 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Similar to Putin's handling of the Kursk.

90+% of Russians to this day are convinced of the bullshit story that the US fucking sank the Kursk, which is the fucking reason they didnt raise the portion of the hull that actually exploded... the metal curved outward would have confirmed what everyone else knows now, that a torp activated and ran dry and hot until it cooked off in the sub. 

instead Russia believes the lie that we sank them

Don't know if this has been posted.

Senator Chris Coons Calls for Conversation on Deploying U.S. Troops to Ukraine

By JIMMY QUINN 
April 18, 2022 3:47 PM

Senator Chris Coons said last week that U.S. officials need to start talking about whether they would send U.S. troops to Ukraine in response to a Russian chemical-weapons attack on the country or a strike that hits Americans in the region.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/senator-chris-coons-calls-for-conversation-on-deploying-u-s-troops-to-ukraine/

Assuming Coons is being a mouthpiece for Biden, from past instances, is this propaganda or preparing the nation? 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

44 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Assuming Coons is being a mouthpiece for Biden, from past instances, is this propaganda or preparing the nation? 

Feels more like Rubio's tweets about what Russia would do and sending them a message, and Coons maybe sending a message to Russia not to do chemical weapons (something that's supposedly going to be used in Mariupol).

5 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Speaking of little Marco, he sure has been quiet lately.    Guess someone shut him up.

I don't think anybody shut him up - his tweeting was mostly likely coordinated with people in White House, DOD, CIA, etc. and was meant to send a message to Russia that A) We know what they were going to do and B) We'll help Ukraine make them pay.  It's just that once things really started, it was more about sending intel to Ukraine than letting Russia know what we know, so his comments dropped off.

Coons's comments echo that - sending a warning of sorts to Russia.  There's been lots of chatter on the Russian side (state media, etc.) to use chemical weapons against the last Mariupol holdouts, and the fact that there are so many civilians hiding underneath the city, it bears letting the Russians know that it's unacceptable.

I don't think Putin will use chemical weapons at this point though - he should have already done so by now, instead of continuing to lose valuable troops/equipment, and he needed that area (and Kherson) wrapped up well before now, rather than draining his resources.

Plus, if he uses chemical weapons, it's 100% guaranteed that Finland and Sweden join NATO, and that Europe completely rids itself of Russian oil and gas.  And there's a decent chance China will lower their support (lest we forget, they never followed through on providing military hardware for the Ukrainian theater).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

90+% of Russians to this day are convinced of the bullshit story that the US fucking sank the Kursk, which is the fucking reason they didnt raise the portion of the hull that actually exploded... the metal curved outward would have confirmed what everyone else knows now, that a torp activated and ran dry and hot until it cooked off in the sub. 

instead Russia believes the lie that we sank them

Yeah..........about that............haha