Tucker Carlson Tonight

atomheartbevo

“The media lies to you, it doesn’t give you perspective. Facts are being withheld from you on purpose. You are being manipulated” - Tucker 

(a few sentences later)

“You can’t have a free society without people being allowed to say whatever they think is true” - Tucker 

(Some perspective would be to tell you that no one in this country has ever been stopped from saying whatever they think is true. However, at a private company, like Fox News, that can be sued for defamation, they can restrict what you say to stop the company from being sued for defamation. These are facts that are being withheld to manipulate you.)

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

“The media lies to you, it doesn’t give you perspective. Facts are being withheld from you on purpose. You are being manipulated” - Tucker 

(a few sentences later)

“You can’t have a free society without people being allowed to say whatever they think is true” - Tucker 

(Some perspective would be to tell you that no one in this country has ever been stopped from saying whatever they think is true. However, at a private company, like Fox News, that can be sued for defamation, they can restrict what you say to stop the company from being sued for defamation. These are facts that are being withheld to manipulate you.)

This is fucking wild. 

3 hours ago, mdmost said:
1 hour ago, ultimaton said:

Zuck ain't that desperate

Facebook doesn't want to lose its advertisers.  Elon no longer gives any fucks about trying to make Twitter profitable or even hit break-even, he just needs to keep Tesla stock pumped up somehow to keep paying for it.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Facebook doesn't want to lose its advertisers.  Elon no longer gives any fucks about trying to make Twitter profitable or even hit break-even, he just needs to keep Tesla stock pumped up somehow to keep paying for it.

Exactly. I think he knows that if he caves then the Elmo fanboys that have been keeping Tesla's stock so overvalued will bail from both Twitter and TSLA and then it's all over. Meaning he will still be a billionaire but won't have his toys anymore.

Exactly. I think he knows that if he caves then the Elmo fanboys that have been keeping Tesla's stock so overvalued will bail from both Twitter and TSLA and then it's all over. Meaning he will still be a billionaire but won't have his toys anymore.
That's the end game, he's just a fucked dude trying to save a dead marriage; except his efforts are more cringey than the cringey shit that collapsed the marriage in the first place.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Will he, though?

How much of that wealth is stock?

How much of that stock is leveraged in Twitter?

If that house if cards falls, what will be left over that is his?

10 minutes ago, SKJ said:

Will he, though?

How much of that wealth is stock?

How much of that stock is leveraged in Twitter?

He has to keep the Tesla stock price up, while at the same time selling off a shitload of it to meet the Twitter payments.

10 minutes ago, SKJ said:

If that house if cards falls, what will be left over that is his?

SpaceX?

If he finds himself booted out of Tesla like what happened when he was kicked out as PayPal CEO, I'd imagine the first thing that gets chopped is the fucking CyberTruck and then the CyberShovels.

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He has to keep the Tesla stock price up, while at the same time selling off a shitload of it to meet the Twitter payments.

SpaceX?

If he finds himself booted out of Tesla like what happened when he was kicked out as PayPal CEO, I'd imagine the first thing that gets chopped is the fucking CyberTruck and then the CyberShovels.

So will he still be a billionaire if Twitter fails?

I mean, he'll still be a rich fuck, but billionaire? He's selling off his only assets to cover the dumbest acquisition in the history...

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Boring and hyper loop?

Boring has already basically failed. They pulled out of their sales with a few cities before starting...

Hyper loop doing anything?

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

Did Elon's lawyers finally get through to him that Tucker just cost his last "media partner" $787.5 million dollars and counting?

That or Rupert told him that he is paying that $787 million settlement if he goes through with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

SpaceX?
I can't see a planet, Even Texas, where he can so robustly fuck all environmental laws and societal norms of decency and just thumb his nose generally at public safety so flippantly and people let it slide....
A reckoning is coming.

I feel like he's about to rightfully, get his balls sued off for his Rocket party on the beach in Boca Chica. We kinda already went through the whole unchecked capitalism thing bro.

56 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

I can't see a planet, Even Texas, where he can so robustly fuck all environmental laws and societal norms of decency and just thumb his nose generally at public safety so flippantly and people let it slide....
A reckoning is coming.

I feel like he's about to rightfully, get his balls sued off for his Rocket party on the beach in Boca Chica. We kinda already went through the whole unchecked capitalism thing bro.

If not the beach stuff, then it'll be the FSD with Tesla, because holy shit he keeps pushing it, even though they pulled the radars from newer models.  He really thinks that cameras can do it all.

12 hours ago, SKJ said:

So will he still be a billionaire if Twitter fails?

I mean, he'll still be a rich fuck, but billionaire? He's selling off his only assets to cover the dumbest acquisition in the history...

Boring has already basically failed. They pulled out of their sales with a few cities before starting...

Hyper loop doing anything?

He will be a billionaire. His current estimated worth is about 175-79 billion. We as humans are not great at mentally understanding massive numbers. 

1 billion in 1 dollar bills, stacked, is 68 miles high. Not sure Austin-San Antonio.

100 billion is 6,800 miles high, stacked. Not quite 3X across the continental US 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

He will be a billionaire. His current estimated worth is about 175-79 billion. We as humans are not great at mentally understanding massive numbers. 

1 billion in 1 dollar bills, stacked, is 68 miles high. Not sure Austin-San Antonio.

100 billion is 6,800 miles high, stacked. Not quite 3X across the continental US 

https://mkorostoff.github.io/1-pixel-wealth/

This blows my fucking mind. No one should have this much money. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Captainant said:

We should be calling them what they are: American Oligarchs

Like I said, we can’t really conceptualize what that kind of money means and how much it is. And most of our referents don’t help us, like $44 billion for Twitter. Here’s some of what Elon’s 179 billion could buy (yada yada, I know he’s not liquid for this).

Since the program cost is sunk and paid for by the USG, he could buy 12 Gerald Ford class aircraft carriers. The U.S. navy has 11 super carriers. 

Germany is paying 8 billion for 35 F-35 fighter jets. Elon could equip 21 German air forces with 5th gen fighters. 

At 4.3 billion per boat, Elon could buy 40 Virginia class attack submarines. The U.S. Navy will buy 39-40. 

We talk about billionaires paying their fair share. What could that mean for the budget? I’ll use defense, since it’s tangible.  Let’s propose a 1-time, 10 percent “wealth tax” for any American worth over 100 billion, not just 1 billion. And cap the total at 10 billion. 

https://www.forbes.com/billionaires/

With the six American hundred billionaires, we could purchase 4 new Gerald R. Ford supercarriers. We could buy 14 Virginia class boats. Or 86 B-21 Raider strategic bombers. 

And EACH of those hundred billionaires would have enough left over to MORE than match the purchase we made with our windfall wealth tax of 10 percent. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Like I said, we can’t really conceptualize what that kind of money means and how much it is. And most of our referents don’t help us, like $44 billion for Twitter. Here’s some of what Elon’s 179 billion could buy (yada yada, I know he’s not liquid for this).

Since the program cost is sunk and paid for by the USG, he could buy 12 Gerald Ford class aircraft carriers. The U.S. navy has 11 super carriers. 

Germany is paying 8 billion for 35 F-35 fighter jets. Elon could equip 21 German air forces with 5th gen fighters. 

At 4.3 billion per boat, Elon could buy 40 Virginia class attack submarines. The U.S. Navy will buy 39-40. 

We talk about billionaires paying their fair share. What could that mean for the budget? I’ll use defense, since it’s tangible.  Let’s propose a 1-time, 10 percent “wealth tax” for any American worth over 100 billion, not just 1 billion. And cap the total at 10 billion. 

With the six American hundred billionaires, we could purchase 4 new Gerald R. Ford supercarriers. We could buy 14 Virginia class boats. Or 86 B-21 Raider strategic bombers. 

And EACH of those hundred billionaires would have enough left over to MORE than match the purchase we made with our windfall wealth tax of 10 percent. 

Or we could use that money for a myriad of non-defense related purposes that would have a massive tangible effect on society as a whole. 
I know you were just using defense as an example, but the broader point is that we should be using this insane amassing of wealth to forcibly “trickle down” for the good of our country and its citizens. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Or we could use that money for a myriad of non-defense related purposes that would have a massive tangible effect on society as a whole. 
I know you were just using defense as an example, but the broader point is that we should be using this insane amassing of wealth to forcibly “trickle down” for the good of our country and its citizens. 

I’m using it because the statement “Elon Musk could buy more aircraft carriers than the USN has” hits harder and more understandably than dividing it over WIC recipeients or student loans. 

And it’s not the worst idea to tell them “you have this much insane wealth thanks to US hegemony and our rules, so you’re gonna pitch in for capital purchases for the next gen of global dominance.” And then use the budget savings on WIC or college funds or new schools. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I’m using it because the statement “Elon Musk could buy more aircraft carriers than the USN has” hits harder and more understandably than dividing it over WIC recipeients or student loans. 

And it’s not the worst idea to tell them “you have this much insane wealth thanks to US hegemony and our rules, so you’re gonna pitch in for capital purchases for the next gen of global dominance.” And then use the budget savings on WIC or college funds or new schools. 

And yet we have millions of R voters who are completely against this idea because they somehow think they might one day be a billionaire and they don’t want any of THEIR money to be used for the good of society. Just the dumbest people. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Directing back toward the topic, kinda, I don’t think many Americans know how much right-wing bullshit is funded and enabled completely by loony rich guys as Tucker has been and wilL be. 

Here’s an example: Rod Dreher. You may not know him, but it’s fair to call him a “microinfluencer.” He’s got a long list of NYT best-sellers. He ran a blog at the American Conservative for years that did things like introduce JD Vance and his Hillbilly Elegy book to the American right. He introduced Tucker to Viktor Orban. He’s basically the reason we had CPAC in Hungary. He’s a big reason for why Tucker seized on Ukraine as a pet issue. 

And this entire got damn crazy blog and Rod’s six figure salary for writing it was the pet project of one really rich dude. 

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/03/rod-dreher-blog-weird-american-conservative

• Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

And yet we have millions of R voters who are completely against this idea because they somehow think they might one day be a billionaire and they don’t want any of THEIR money to be used for the good of society. Just the dumbest people. 

I really do think the “not understanding big numbers” plays a big role. Because you says “let’s levy a 10 percent wealth tax on billionaires”  and they look at the average GOP voters’s 401K and they flip the fuck out because 10 percent MEANS something at that level.  

But losing 10 percent of 1 billion dollars means NOTHING in any real way to a billionaire. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This helps too:

If someone gave you a billion dollars and you spent $1,000 each day, you would be spending for about 2,740 years before you went broke.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

But losing 10 percent of 1 billion dollars means NOTHING in any real way to a billionaire. 

Exactly. it's crazy how many regular working class folks and even the upper middle class making six or seven figures a year refuse to recognize the absurd reality that we allow so many billionaires to exist without taxing them fairly. Not to mention how marginal tax rates work in practice.

Billionaires imo should not exist. As Bernie Sanders put it, "I think people can survive just fine, you know, on NINE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE MILLION DOLLARS."

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Exactly. it's crazy how many regular working class folks and even the upper middle class making six or seven figures a year refuse to recognize the absurd reality that we allow so many billionaires to exist without taxing them fairly. Not to mention how marginal tax rates work in practice.

Billionaires imo should not exist. As Bernie Sanders put it, "I think people can survive just fine, you know, on NINE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE MILLION DOLLARS."

It’s some bizarro sickness where they think it’s against them and capitalism. Nevermind that they will never sniff that kind of money EVER. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't have a problem with the concept of a billionaire.  I have a problem with the game being further and further rigged in their favor the richer they get.

I have a problem with both. 

Edited by Biff Tannen
I guess I would be ok with someone having a billion if a minimum amount went to the greater good of society. Like, half. Or something. I mean come on.
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Foosters said:

This helps too:

If someone gave you a billion dollars and you spent $1,000 each day, you would be spending for about 2,740 years before you went broke.

$1 billion earning a paltry 3% annual return is throwing off $30,000,000 annually.

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I think we should probably refrain from reminding them what a huge military they could buy if they wanted to. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2