Tucker Carlson Tonight

atomheartbevo

5 minutes ago, Disco Strangler said:

Dear Penthouse Forum,

I never thought his might happen to me, but this is a totally true story . . . .

I remember when National Lampoon had "Children's letters to Penthouse Forum".

"I'm no John C. Holmes, but my 2 1/2 weiner was at full attention..."

• Haha 4

I like how the dude being interviewed wore an orthopedic arm brace on his handjob hand to totally legitimize the story.  And his non-descript accent, he can claim it happened in Chicago, Hawaii, Nigeria, New York, Boston, or even Occidental College.  And if they were doing $250 worth of blow that far back, they'd have died.  Granted Don, Jr. can do $250 in blow in the amount of time it takes most of you to read one of my posts.  But that far back, that's 2 or 3 8-balls between two dudes, that would kill them.  

19 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sigh. On the linked thread, look at this fucking embarassment.

I tried to just link his page, but apparently Musk fucked with twitter so now it embeds all his fucking tweets if you paste his main thread.

TTom, maybe?

I checked out the politics forum on Inside Texas last week. We’ve got waaay more TexAgish posters than I realized. 

• Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

My undrestanding is 24/7 and OB are similar. Surly is the only college football board I know of in the general that is liberal. 

It's interesting that Surly broke away from a group of people that are pretty MAGA-ish before MAGA was a thing, so maybe the very nature of our rebellious nature makes us a little more open minded (he said nature twice, he really likes nature).

I'm sure that when Surly (or rather it's previous versions) broke out and became it's own thing, 24/7 and OB saw us as:

twisted-sister-were-not-gonna-take-it.gi

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

My undrestanding is 24/7 and OB are similar. Surly is the only college football board I know of in the general that is liberal. 

Is it really though? I mean I’m ostensibly sort of a liberal (‘Cabal’ charter member), and obviously we picked up a handful of actual lefties along the way but most of the longtime “liberals” on this forum are disaffected former Republicans who were defending George Allen and the Bush Tax Cuts 20 years ago.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Is it really though? I mean I’m ostensibly sort of a liberal (‘Cabal’ charter member), and obviously we picked up a handful of actual lefties along the way but most of the longtime “liberals” on this forum are disaffected former Republicans who were defending George Allen and the Bush Tax Cuts 20 years ago.

I misspoke somewhat: We are the only college football board I know of, which basically means in the southern region, who's political BOARD is liberal. As for the rest, it doesn't matter how we got here, most of us are liberal now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I misspoke somewhat: We are the only college football board I know of, which basically means in the southern region, who's political BOARD is liberal. As for the rest, it doesn't matter how we got here, most of us are liberal now. 

Sure, by the definition used in the shithole that is political discourse in this country.  Fuck, today,  the term "liberal" includes everyone who doesn't support a Trump-led overthrow of the United States government to install an authoritarian regime for the next 100 years.  "Liberal" is a pretty fucking big tent by that definition....but not fucking big enough (fucking seriously, over a third of the country wants a Trump-led dictatorship.  They fucking joyfully masturbate to that idea.  WTF?).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

I should also add that TexAgs was always sort of “general old man conservative” that got dumber along with the GOP. Until they allowed the Q folks to have a no-criticism safe space. It plunged right into Kremlin conspiracy fascism.  It’s a lesson for any online space about protecting loons. The online equivalent of local ordinances that don’t allow removal of tent encampments, except I’d rather have panhandlers on my sidewalk than a Q-Anon evangelist. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sure, by the definition used in the shithole that is political discourse in this country.  Fuck, today,  the term "liberal" includes everyone who doesn't support a Trump-led overthrow of the United States government to install an authoritarian regime for the next 100 years.  "Liberal" is a pretty fucking big tent by that definition....but not fucking big enough (fucking seriously, over a third of the country wants a Trump-led dictatorship.  They fucking joyfully masturbate to that idea.  WTF?).

Your response is another weird effort to show up and spike a football for adopting The Ledge. Why don't we go ahead and assume, as someone is fairly intelligent and participates on this political forum populated by mostly left leaning and like minded folks, that I am using LIBERAL correctly, and not through your prism of America.

That being public services for all, investing in education, taking care of the homeless and mentally ill, investing in people, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Your response is another weird effort to show up and spike a football for adopting The Ledge. Why don't we go ahead and assume, as someone is fairly intelligent and participates on this political forum populated by mostly left leaning and like minded folks, that I am using LIBERAL correctly, and not through your prism of America.

That being public services for all, investing in education, taking care of the homeless and mentally ill, investing in people, etc. 

What you are describing is now deemed "communism" in American political discourse.

The Overton Window has shifted so fucking far to the right that even Putin would have a hard time finding it to accurately defenestrate a political threat out said window.

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What you are describing is now deemed "communism" in American political discourse.

The Overton Window has shifted so fucking far to the right that even Putin would have a hard time finding it to accurately defenestrate a political threat out said window.

Jesus, we fucking know you, and we get it. But sometimes, just shut the fuck up. We were literally having a fucking conversation about this website compared to others, we don't always need you to come in here with your fucking pre-canned bullshit about how fucked up America is, how stupid Americans are, and how political discorse is bullshit. We all fucking know, we post in the fucking Cloak Room. 

In a world in as bad a shape as ours, can you just sometimes go and smear your shit on the walls of the football board or daily texan, instead of perpetually smearing it on the threads with people who are similarly minded as you? You know, as a fucking favor to the rest of us that share a simliar worldview as you. I don't mean like never, but can you dial it down from 100% of the time to just a meager 80% of the time? Fuck. You claim to be a fucking Christian, can you show your brothers some fucking mercy?

And for fuck's sake, do not take that last sentence as an opporunity to talk about American Christianity. Pretend I fucking typed "follower of Jesus" you fucking predictable fuck. Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative, why don't you mix in a little more Oscar Wilde into your fucking life. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yeah, if we ever get back to sensible, "bipartisan" compromise politics or lawmaking, the constituency of the board may fall on the more conservative end of things.

Maybe "classically liberal."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, if we ever get back to sensible, "bipartisan" compromise politics or lawmaking, the constituency of the board may fall on the more conservative end of things.

Maybe "classically liberal."

I like to think that my eyes have opened a bit and I've actually changed for the better. I still don't think we should have 30 trillion in debt, and I would fight to bring down our deficit. But not at the expense of public spending and investing in people. 

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Jesus, we fucking know you, and we get it. But sometimes, just shut the fuck up. We were literally having a fucking conversation about this website compared to others, we don't always need you to come in here with your fucking pre-canned bullshit about how fucked up America is, how stupid Americans are, and how political discorse is bullshit. We all fucking know, we post in the fucking Cloak Room. 

In a world in as bad a shape as ours, can you just sometimes go and smear your shit on the walls of the football board or daily texan, instead of perpetually smearing it on the threads with people who are similarly minded as you? You know, as a fucking favor to the rest of us that share a simliar worldview as you. I don't mean like never, but can you dial it down from 100% of the time to just a meager 80% of the time? Fuck. You claim to be a fucking Christian, can you show your brothers some fucking mercy?

And for fuck's sake, do not take that last sentence as an opporunity to talk about American Christianity. Pretend I fucking typed "follower of Jesus" you fucking predictable fuck. Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative, why don't you mix in a little more Oscar Wilde into your fucking life. 

Dude, I never fly Delta.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I like to think that my eyes have opened a bit and I've actually changed for the better. I still don't think we should have 30 trillion in debt, and I would fight to bring down our deficit. But not at the expense of public spending and investing in people. 

Basically where I am at this point too. I don’t know or care what historical bucket that puts me in either. 

The out and out fuckery caused me to stop/look around/reevaluate some long held beliefs that I essentially inherited from my parents. 

When I wade into someplace like IT’s political forum I feel a little surprised that more of my fellow longhorns haven’t done the same thing. Surprised and disappointed tbh. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, The Royal We said:

Basically where I am at this point too. I don’t know or care what historical bucket that puts me in either. 

The out and out fuckery caused me to stop/look around/reevaluate some long held beliefs that I essentially inherited from my parents. 

When I wade into someplace like IT’s political forum I feel a little surprised that more of my fellow longhorns haven’t done the same thing. Surprised and disappointed tbh. 

I too often pinpoint all the shit that was my kneejerk response even into my 20s that I inhereted from adults and other talking points around me. "Well, they should fucking get a job!" and that bullshit. It's hard to shake brainwashing, I guess, even if you're a good and kind person. 

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It’s a lot of debt but I’m for it if it’s because we are funding social programs to lift people up and not just make the rich richer 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is it. A lot of us who did vote for Republicans have changed our actual stances after encountering new information. We aren't just against Trump.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s a lot of debt but I’m for it if it’s because we are funding social programs to lift people up and not just make the rich richer 

Man, I'm not talking about the Inflation Reduction Act. I'm not talking about recent bills, or trends. I'm talking about tax cuts, specifically, and going from zero to 30 trillion in what, 30 years since Clinton? Trump's tax cuts added more to the national debt than any bill biden has added. The tax cuts of Bush, etc. Cutting tax revenue is the same as increasing spending, but doing both is horrendous. That's the kind of shit I'm against. 

I fully in my heart believe there is a way to increase our support of actual people, increase taxes, and make smart reforms that can bring our country's debt way down in like 10 years. Doesn't need to be zero. But down. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Man, I'm not talking about the Inflation Reduction Act. I'm not talking about recent bills, or trends. I'm talking about tax cuts, specifically, and going from zero to 30 trillion in what, 30 years since Clinton? Trump's tax cuts added more to the national debt than any bill biden has added. The tax cuts of Bush, etc. Cutting tax revenue is the same as increasing spending, but doing both is horrendous. That's the kind of shit I'm against. 

I fully in my heart believe there is a way to increase our support of actual people, increase taxes, and make smart reforms that can bring our country's debt way down in like 10 years. Doesn't need to be zero. But down. 

Dude I agree with you. Debt doesn’t bother me IF it’s being used to lift people up (social programs) and not just tax cuts for the rich. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I tried to just link his page, but apparently Musk fucked with twitter so now it embeds all his fucking tweets if you paste his main thread.

TTom, maybe?
Twitter has always worked like that. Post a link to a profile and it embeds the whole timeline

TTom, maybe?
Twitter has always worked like that. Post a link to a profile and it embeds the whole timeline

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fuck, today,  the term "liberal" includes everyone who doesn't support a Trump-led overthrow of the United States government to install an authoritarian regime for the next 100 years.  "Liberal" is a pretty fucking big tent by that definition..

Exactly. I've been a consistent Dem voter since I first went to a polling place. I'm became largely straight ticket Dem during the Reagan years not out of fervor for Dem policies but because I could smell the stink behind the avuncular mask of Reagan's GOP. Rush Limbaugh rises to prominence at this time as well.  I respected the GOPs that were policy oriented, and I feel that those values are worthwhile even though I've rarely voted for a GOP.

When called to be specific about what party I'm with now, I call my group the pro-republic party and the fascists the anti-republic party. The policy debates are secondary and generally illusory.

1 hour ago, Stilicho said:

If there's one lesson I've picked up from the shag / surly over the years, it's be prepared to back up your bullshit or be prepared to get fucking roasted alive in short order.

I think this is a great point. This place is defined by good faith argument and analyis. Dogmatists need not apply.

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Quick point of order. The debt during the Clinton admin went from like 4T to 6T. Which is still child’s play compared to what has happened since, but he wasn’t at zero debt. He was for a while at zero deficit, or surplus. 

• Hook 'Em 4

48 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Gagreed.  

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Quick point of order. The debt during the Clinton admin went from like 4T to 6T. Which is still child’s play compared to what has happened since, but he wasn’t at zero debt. He was for a while at zero deficit, or surplus. 

This must be what I was thinking, because I commonly see that Clinton was the last/only president to have a surplus. 

24 minutes ago, G650 said:

This is it. A lot of us who did vote for Republicans have changed our actual stances after encountering new information. We aren't just against Trump.

Yeah, also plenty of this.  Examples of just my personal evolution over the past 30 years or so:

"Gay marriage": I used to have the (pretty stupid) position of "fine, they can have civil unions, but don't call them marriage, because that's something different."  Then, between living enough life to realize that fuck, everyone's got it hard, and why create division and hurt where you don't need to, AND an objective reading of the 14th amendment and realizing that it's pretty plain -- if the government is going to offer a license or stamp on a contract, then it can't discriminate based on the gender of the contracting parties.  So, I'm full-on in favor of legalized same-sex marriage.

Trickle-down economics: I bought into the hypothesis, it made some sense to me.  But I've seen us run at that wall numerous times now, and we just smash our heads against it....lots of pain, but no real trickling down.  It was a hypothesis.  It has been thoroughly tested.  It doesn't work.  It would be stupid to continue to buy it in the face of that evidence.

It doesn't mean that I'm a softie for every pet left-side idea or cause -- lots of "good intentions, but leading to bad results" over there.  Things like massive expansion of the availability of student loans (without attendant caps on tuition and such).  Also, it doesn't mean that my views aren't continuing to evolve as new evidence is available/is better understood.

In MOST countries, my views, evolved as they may be from where they were when I got out of college, would still be pretty centrist, wavering between center-right and center-left, depending on the subject matter.  I've made reference to the Economist before - I have always found myself agreeing with many of the positions taken therein (not all - I think the Economist has only paid lip service to the failings of modern liberal democracy and the global economy; they have yet to come around on real, meaningful measures to address those failings).  That puts me pretty close to center-right, at least in the ecosystem of the developed world/other liberal democracies.

But in the modern American political ecosystem, "center-right" positions make you a scorching libtard.  It's insane.  But "insane" is where we live now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

"Gay marriage": I used to have the (pretty stupid) position of "fine, they can have civil unions, but don't call them marriage, because that's something different."

Funny enough, this is one thing I feel the same on, because I have been against civil marriage for everyone since I was probably a teenager. I think it should be across the board civil partnership for everyone. Marriage shouldn't be the language the government uses in any shape or form imo.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

25 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This must be what I was thinking, because I commonly see that Clinton was the last/only president to have a surplus. 

I got you fam
FederalDeficit1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not fond of the debt, either, but you have to admit, those tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy have really trickled down and lifted the lower and middle classes.

And on the debt front, I'll say this -- yes, too much/crippling debt is bad.  So, CONTROL your debt.  Keep it manageable.

But let's be clear about what debt allows us to do -- and there's a simple comparison case that works well.

In the US, it's (all things considered) easy to get a mortgage (maybe too easy in some cases, but let's just imagine a normal, managed mortgage environment).  Because Jane and John Public can get a mortgage, they can buy or build a house.  Assume a house within their means, even -- something like $250k-$300k (yeah, in Austin, that's a Lennar home out past Manor, but...it IS a home).

In other countries where mortgages are not available to most people (see, e.g., Mexico . . . at least until recently, I understand that the mortgage market there has expanded in recent years), Juan and Juana can't buy or build a house.  Instead, they set money aside.  When they have enough, they pour a foundation.  Then, when they have saved some more, they can frame it.  Then, when they have saved some more, they can put on a roof, etc.

Having money-borrowing available allows people to acquire larger, more expensive assets, that simply can't be purchased with cash based on an average person's cash-flow.

Public debt is no different.  It would be SUPER shitty if your government only built a couple of miles of road a year, using only that year's tax revenues.  Or it only built 5% of a new water treatment plant, because that's all that year's taxes would pay for....instead of issuing debt, building the plant in the next 18 months so we have water when we need it, and paying down that debt over the next 20 years (using tax receipts and water revenues to do so).

The availability of capital to borrow is one of the things that allowed western democracies to prosper.  It's why you have a good water and sewer system in your city.  It's why you, a middle class Joe and not a Duke or Prince, own a house and a car.

So, the insane "debt hawk" shit being spewed these days, nevermind the fact that it's spewed by the very people responsible for increasing our debt for no discernible benefit (the Trump tax cuts didn't help a single person access a new road or have clean water or a working sewer system or anything else that benefits the public) . . . yeah, it's nonsense.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Drool 1