2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

Trump wont shut the government down again. If you don’t realize that you don’t really understand his mental disease.  It learned its lesson on that. He’ll do something else instead. 

In that way it was a win for the dems and for America. Trump’s mind learned that hostage taking over shutting down the government doesn’t work and makes him look bad, although his mind will soon rationalize that to make him look good instead.  He saved America by shutting down the shutdown! 

The ways the mind can trick yourself is fascinating. Recovering alcoholics and drug addicts know this all too well. 

3 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Nance raised 5 kids, so she has the perfect skill set for negotiating with the Toddler-in Chief.  (Dotard has 5 kids that he didn't raise, on other hand)

Alexandra Pelosi 

"She'll cut your head off and you won't even know you're bleeding."

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/01/02/alexandra-pelosi-nancy-pelosi-daughter-cut-head-off-trump-meeting-newday-vpx.cnn

Edited by cactusflinthead
Links are fun

Very, very quickly this will be successfully spun as Trump being the hero who saved the day by re-opening the government after the shutdown which was completely caused by the Democrats -  and NOW  look how terrible the Dems are, they promised they’d give him the all the wall money if he re-opened the government, and now they won’t, those liars!  And Republicans will buy it hook, line and sinker.   

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

I get the impulse to punish him, but he'll just shut down the government again or declare a national emergency. That means no deal on DACA at all.

I'd rather get permanent protection for the DREAMers. If he offers a permanent deal for those folks for wall money the Democrats will accept it.

His base would lose its mind and scream amnesty, so it's probably an academic thought experiment anyway.

2 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

His base would scream bloody murder. Oh the horror of giving Americans the citizenship they deserve.... 

He could stand in the middle of Fifth Ave. and shoot somebody and he wouldn't lose his base. But perform an act of simple human decency and they'll turn on him like a pack of rabid dogs. 

So he thinks it's smarter to declare a national emergency three weeks after the last threat of a national emergency that he failed to address at all during his irst two years? 

Kind of like this entire shutdown plan. 

Its a bold move... Let's see how it works out for him. 

33 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

And what is he going to do in three weeks when they give him a CR with no wall funding?

I don't think you will have to wait that long. I think Trump declares National Emergency. Nancy has already said she will not negotiate the wall even he agrees to a deal for short term re-opening of the government. So Trump goes nuclear option and we get to see months of judicial wrangling before the Supreme Court lets him build the wall anyways.

I hope an offer of permanent status for the Dreamers might be made in the interim, and be enough to bring Nancy back to table. She could get something out of this for those kids. 5 billion is peanuts compared to the national budget. Wall will be built regardless. 

1 minute ago, Crusher said:

I don't think you will have to wait that long. I think Trump declares National Emergency. Nancy has already said she will not negotiate the wall even he agrees to a deal for short term re-opening of the government. So Trump goes nuclear option and we get to see months of judicial wrangling before the Supreme Court lets him build the wall anyways.

I hope an offer of permanent status for the Dreamers might be made in the interim, and be enough to bring Nancy back to table. She could get something out of this for those kids. 5 billion is peanuts compared to the national budget. Wall will be built regardless. 

What do you think the Democrats should do first with their national emergency? 

Guns or climate change?

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, bolverk said:

How dare you question his svelte manliness?

donald_trump-1494999825-9544.jpg

Perhaps the biggest lie this administration has ever told is that Trump was one pound under being considered obese.  And these guys are liars in the same sense Michael Jordan is a basketball player or Michelangelo is a sculptor.  They transcend the genre.

So he thinks it's smarter to declare a national emergency three weeks after the last threat of a national emergency that he failed to address at all during his irst two years? 
Its a bold move... Let's see how it works out for him. 
Obviously it wasn't an emergency back then. Do you even caravan 2.0, bro? Never mind that would mean illegal immigration only worsened the last two years under Republican leadership, following 8 years of THE MOST DIVISIVE PRESIDENT EVAR!!!1!!

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

What do you think the Democrats should do first with their national emergency? 

Guns or climate change?

Guns might be more difficult than a wall. Gun ownership being an actual enumerated Constitutional right. Not to mention that the guys ordered to confiscate all the guns in America might have a little bit more difficult of a task than the guys who will build the wall.

Climate Change might be able to gain some traction. But, it would cost a lot of the people that donate big money to big political campaigns a bit of stress and money. Political suicide might be the words used in the aftermath.

Just now, Crusher said:

Guns might be more difficult than a wall. Gun ownership being an actual enumerated Constitutional right. Not to mention that the guys ordered to confiscate all the guns in America might have a little bit more difficult of a task than the guys who will build the wall.

Climate Change might be able to gain some traction. But, it would cost a lot of the people that donate big money to big political campaigns a bit of stress and money. Political suicide might be the words used in the aftermath.

I guess we'll find out in two years.

30 minutes ago, deech said:

Its a bold move... Let's see how it works out for him

If it turns on him being able to prove an emergency, it would really strain all credibility.  It seems like he would really have to thread the needle between saying that the emergency is something new that didn't exist in the previous years justifying not calling an emergency (e.g., the newest caravan) and the emergency was old enough to be known about today, because there is too much evidence that they plan on calling this emergency in a few weeks.  You'd then have to figure out how to argue why he knew today that we were in an emergency situation but not call it an emergency now.

I think his best argument would be probably to frame it as a "breaking point" issue:  the event isn't unique, but the effect is.  We've just now gotten to where there are so many illegal immigrants that we are at some inflection point and (something) will happen.  That would seem the least not credible to me.

7 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

If it turns on him being able to prove an emergency, it would really strain all credibility.  It seems like he would really have to thread the needle between saying that the emergency is something new that didn't exist in the previous years justifying not calling an emergency (e.g., the newest caravan) and the emergency was old enough to be known about today, because there is too much evidence that they plan on calling this emergency in a few weeks.  You'd then have to figure out how to argue why he knew today that we were in an emergency situation but not call it an emergency now.

I think his best argument would be probably to frame it as a "breaking point" issue:  the event isn't unique, but the effect is.  We've just now gotten to where there are so many illegal immigrants that we are at some inflection point and (something) will happen.  That would seem the least not credible to me.

Might not be as difficult as you describe. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Emergencies_Act

Emergency powers[edit]

Congress has delegated at least 136 distinct statutory emergency powers to the President upon the declaration of an emergency, with only 13 of these requiring a declaration from Congress.[15]

Emergency presidential powers are dramatic, and have ranged from suspending all laws regulating chemical and biological weapons, including the ban on human testing (50 U.S.C. § 1515, 1969); to suspending any Clean Air Act implementation plan or excess emissions penalty upon petition of a state governor (42 U.S.C. (f) § 7410 (f) 1977); to authorizing and constructing military construction projects (10 U.S.C. (a) § 2808 (a), 1982) using any existing defense appropriations for such military constructions ($10.4 billion in FY2018[16]); to drafting any retired Coast Guard officers (14 U.S.C. § 331, 1963) or enlisted members (14 U.S.C. § 359, 1949) into active duty.

Although the one mentioned about the "Clean Air Act" might interesting as it pertains to David's question about Climate Change. If a President can suspend a portion of an act of Congress surely a future President can reverse the previous use of Emergency Powers.

7 minutes ago, Crusher said:

Might not be as difficult as you describe. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Emergencies_Act

Emergency powers[edit]

Congress has delegated at least 136 distinct statutory emergency powers to the President upon the declaration of an emergency, with only 13 of these requiring a declaration from Congress.[15]

Emergency presidential powers are dramatic, and have ranged from suspending all laws regulating chemical and biological weapons, including the ban on human testing (50 U.S.C. § 1515, 1969); to suspending any Clean Air Act implementation plan or excess emissions penalty upon petition of a state governor (42 U.S.C. (f) § 7410 (f) 1977); to authorizing and constructing military construction projects (10 U.S.C. (a) § 2808 (a), 1982) using any existing defense appropriations for such military constructions ($10.4 billion in FY2018[16]); to drafting any retired Coast Guard officers (14 U.S.C. § 331, 1963) or enlisted members (14 U.S.C. § 359, 1949) into active duty.

Although the one mentioned about the "Clean Air Act" might interesting as it pertains to David's question about Climate Change. If a President can suspend a portion of an act of Congress surely a future President can reverse the previous use of Emergency Powers.

Something tells me any wall built using emergency powers can be torn down with a stroke of a pen.

Donald Trump is really dumb.

45 minutes ago, Crusher said:

Oh, it wouldn't be guns or climate change.

Universal health care. That will be what Trump (and a complicit GOP) will have wrought.  To bitch and moan and carry on for years that Obamacare was destroying this nation...to see that all tossed aside as President Harris or Warren or whoever signs that emergency order.  

• Like 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

Something tells me any wall built using emergency powers can be torn down with a stroke of a pen.

Donald Trump is really dumb.

Why would any future President do that? If it was colossal waste of taxpayer funds to build it the first place, wasting more money to tear it down would twice as colossally stupid. Unless President Harris/Warren/Booker/Biden/Gillibrand/Gabbard/Yang/Castro..perpetua ...declares that we truly do have wide open borders and hey come on in.

3 minutes ago, Crusher said:

Why would any future President do that? If it was colossal waste of taxpayer funds to build it the first place, wasting more money to tear it down would twice as colossally stupid. Unless President Harris/Warren/Booker/Biden/Gillibrand/Gabbard/Yang/Castro..perpetua ...declares that we truly do have wide open borders and hey come on in.

Well, declaring a national emergency for border security is colossally stupid, so . . . 

7 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Oh, it wouldn't be guns or climate change.

Universal health care. That will be what Trump (and a complicit GOP) will have wrought.  To bitch and moan and carry on for years that Obamacare was destroying this nation...to see that all tossed aside as President Harris or Warren or whoever signs that emergency order.  

The main thing about the Emergency Powers is that you have to have the funds already available. Universal health care would cost a hell of lot more than is in the military construction funds for 2018. 

If you can find $33 trillion just laying around somewhere else in the budget then rock on dude!!! Go for it!!

6 minutes ago, TornACL said:

We'll just build walls and tear down walls over and over again and no one will ever been unemployed!!! 

5-dimensional Candyland being played here. Y'all are just too dumb to realize it!!! 11!!

Keynesian!

Also, the dancing and daydreaming about one day declaring national emergency all the time to get whatever the president wants seems very well thought out.

5 minutes ago, Crusher said:

The main thing about the Emergency Powers is that you have to have the funds already available. Universal health care would cost a hell of lot more than is in the military construction funds for 2018. 

If you can find $33 trillion just laying around somewhere else in the budget then rock on dude!!! Go for it!!

The eminent domain challenges all but guarantee that Donald Trump will be out of office before most of this gets going, even if he gets favorable rulings in the court for the declaration.

What a waste.

11 minutes ago, Crusher said:

So, the Pentagon is cool with the diversion of funds for a wall.

Got it.

And suddenly, you are an expert on a President's Emergency Powers and Executive Orders.  Something you probably bitched about plenty during the Obama years.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

No, it won't. You still have to compensate people for their property. 

Yes. For sure. We are not a bunch of communists. They will be paid, but they will give up the land in short order in the face of a National Emergency Declaration.

4 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

So, the Pentagon is cool with the diversion of funds for a wall.

Got it.

And suddenly, you are an expert on a President's Emergency Powers and Executive Orders.  Something you probably bitched about plenty during the Obama years.

Pentagon doesn't have a say in this . They work for Trump.

Never claimed to be an expert in Emergency Powers. Did one Google search and came up with the Wiki site. You think I'm wrong , go do you own research and prove it.?

Yes. For sure. We are not a bunch of communists. They will be paid, but they will give up the land in short order in the face of a National Emergency Declaration.

You seem pretty confident.  You must be getting all your inside info from the r/MAGA or the like.

And you still haven't pointed out.  How do you declare an emergency 3 weeks from today?  Is the President suddenly like Nostradamus and can predict the future, or is it just some wishful thinking on his part that he can just declare an emergency any time he wishes?

And why wasn't this done on January 20, 2017?  Was there not an emergency then?  Or September 23, 2018?  Why is there an emergency in 3 weeks?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I don't think so.

OK. It's settled then. Dennis Davidson doesn't think I'm right.

Look into eminent domain and find out how many folks have actually won their cases against little tyrannical County Commissioners, much less the United States Government with a Supreme Court Ruling in their back pocket.

Edited by Crusher

OK. It's settled then. Dennis Davidson doesn't think I'm right. Look into eminent domain and find out how many folks have actually won their cases against little tyrannical County Commissioners, much less the United States Government with a Supreme Court Ruling in their back pocket.

They don’t have to win. They just have to drag it out. They can. It happens all the time, including against county commissioners.

And the wall can’t be built without a full condemnation process - a declared emergency doesn’t void the constitution. You can only take my property for a public purpose, and I am entitled to just compensation. Well-developed law under the 5th amendment. I can litigate both issues. To death. I have actual experience in this field.

6 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

You seem pretty confident.  You must be getting all your inside info from the r/MAGA or the like.

And you still haven't pointed out.  How do you declare an emergency 3 weeks from today?  Is the President suddenly like Nostradamus and can predict the future, or is it just some wishful thinking on his part that he can just declare an emergency any time he wishes?

And why wasn't this done on January 20, 2017?  Was there not an emergency then?  Or September 23, 2018?  Why is there an emergency in 3 weeks?

I don't think that is threshold he has to meet to make this declaration.

The man campaigned on this issue when he first declared back in 2015. He has been telling anyone who will listen that he thinks this is an emergency that the previous administration ignored for 8 years. 

• Fuck You 3

I don't think that is threshold he has to meet to make this declaration.

The man campaigned on this issue when he first declared back in 2015. He has been telling anyone who will listen that he thinks this is an emergency that the previous administration ignored for 8 years. 

The question is whether he will ever have to prove it (I don't know if he does -- the link you provided seems to say no.  Congress can only vote to say there is no emergency).  If he has been telling people for 4 years that there is an emergency . . . and even worse if he's said that the emergency stretches back all the way to the beginning of the Obama administration . . . yet here we sit not dealing with any negative consequences of it, the question is: how credible is that evidence of an emergency?

• Pancho changed the title to 2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story