2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

He’ll do the first to justify the second that “ends the shutdown” Bc art of the deal bro. 

Retards cheer. People with functioning brains jeer. Republican senators furrow their brows so hard, all the Botox in Beverly Hills couldn’t fix it 

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If he does it again, he might as well completely write off MI, WI, PA, AZ, and probably FL.  

Trump doesn’t care about that and he proves it everyday.  Never in Trump’s Presidency has he done something to appeal to people outside of his zombie base. 

Now Mitch McConnell absolutely cares about that stuff so it will be up to him again. 

Trump wants a shutdown.  He has given zero indication he wants to avoid one.  

Unless Congress shows some backbone, we’re headed for another shutdown.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

There's going to be a deal and there's going to be a teeny tiny bit more wall money.  The Dems are trying to get ICE to be more selective and focus on foriegn born criminals here illegally whose crime is BEYOND entering the country illegally.  Pubs want to expand jail space so that as they slow down the ability to legally present yourself for asylum those that enter illegally for the legal asylum we are purposefully restricting, these entrant who crossed the border illegally are treated in the same manner as I guy selling drugs or a human trafficker. I think likely the Dems moves back to leave the status quo, and if the GOP wants to fight over more beds, then gov't shuts down again, and Trump again thumps the fake Crisis, and still takes a beating on the issue.

It's actually a good talking point for the GOP as long as you assume all "criminals" are dangerous. Not simple criminals for seeking legal asylum in a system rigged by Trump to pervent them from presenting themselves legally. Neat Catch 22.

I think Trump's rally in El Pase is not going to come off as envisioned by the GOP, especially if Beto clearly outdraws Trump.

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Everyone is talking like the Dems admit there has to be some funding for Wall.  I don't get it.  Is the thought that eventually the political blowback will be on the Democrats for a shutdown?  Just say that the country just voted on this in November and everyone said no.

Simply because the Dems do tend to compromise, when things remotely make sense.  Some additional wall/fence whatever makes some sense.  Big Beautiful Wall NOT paid for by Mexico... not so much. But compromise to keep the government open is something that the Dems usually do.  I personally think Obama should have gone to the mat when the GOP insisted on raising taxes on the working class to keep tax cuts for millionaires.  But Obama didn't use the bully pulpit very well, and caved IMHO.

2 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Everyone is talking like the Dems admit there has to be some funding for Wall.  I don't get it.  Is the thought that eventually the political blowback will be on the Democrats for a shutdown?  Just say that the country just voted on this in November and everyone said no.

I didn't necessarily vote for gridlock.  There seems to be evidence that some kind of border in certain areas makes sense.  If that is the case then there is probably a good case for additional barriers on the border.  If that is the case, then it seems that some kind of compromise would require an agreement for some funding for border fencing/barriers.  Translated to Trumpspeak, that means the Dems will be giving up their opposition to the big beautiful Wall.

2 hours ago, horn4life said:

Simply because the Dems do tend to compromise, when things remotely make sense.  Some additional wall/fence whatever makes some sense.  Big Beautiful Wall NOT paid for by Mexico... not so much. But compromise to keep the government open is something that the Dems usually do.  I personally think Obama should have gone to the mat when the GOP insisted on raising taxes on the working class to keep tax cuts for millionaires.  But Obama didn't use the bully pulpit very well, and caved IMHO.

What makes sense is to allocate X to border security, distribute it to various local administrative bodies and let them decide the most effective way to spend that given their local context.

Letting our monkey-with-downs-syndrome-in-chief prescribe that we need to build the Great Wall of Gina on our southern border is muy estúpido.

• Like 1

Already, ICE has regularly exceeded the current quota set by Congress on immigrant detention, which is 40,520 beds — although that figure is treated generally as a floor, not a ceiling.

For instance, the number of people detained as of Feb. 6 was 49,057, including 46,590 adults and 2,467 families, according to statistics released by the office of Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.), a top congressional critic of the administration’s immigration policies. On Jan. 30, it was 48,088 — up from 46,492 on Jan. 16.

As of Sunday, a total of 48,747 immigrants were in ICE custody, according to an ICE official.

Ray Zaccaro, a spokesman for Merkley, said the figures show the Homeland Security Department is “working outside of the framework approved by Congress” and accused the administration of “not coming to the table with clean hands” as lawmakers try to hammer out a deal to avert another government shutdown.

Just now, swraith said:

All right. Let’s see the terms of this negotiated deal. Let’s see both sides of Congress pass the legislation. And then let’s watch Trump sign it.

My bet is Rs have something negotiated that Trump can claim is a victory.  If not, it means R senators want to hang Trump, which I very much doubt.  

I will never get over that they had two years to fund whatever the fuck they wanted pretty much, and now after the midterms the wall is some national emergency and the center of these discussions. He's talked about declaring a national emergency. There's talk of appropriating funds from other departments. Has any reporter asked why it's come to this? I still haven't seen an answer to that simple question. Were the R's weak on border security those two years?

It gets said a lot but it makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Said it last night and I'll say it again, if both Hannity and BT are bitching about it, it's probably a decent enough deal.

I still want to see Exactly Where these 55 miles are going to be. 

Hopefully through the butterfly sanctuary guy's land that voted for Trump. 

Siap. Just reading about how if trump calls for the national emergency, the House can pass a bill with a simple majority to rescind the emergency.  Have to figure that is done within 5 minutes.  Because of the nature of that bill, McConnell has to allow a floor vote.  Can’t block or ignore it.  The senate republicans don’t want that.  Most oppose presidential power grabs but don’t want to force trump into a veto.

19 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

55 miles of steel slats! Hooray we built the wall! Now can these morons fund  the government longer than 3 week increments? Holy hell

They are going to build it on the little public land that is down there first. There goes the butterfly center and the little church by the river. They are already starting to clear brush which means that they are destroying ocelot territory. Bye Ocelots, it was nice knowing you.

OcelotLeopardus-pardalis75.jpg

13 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

They are going to build it on the little public land that is down there first. There goes the butterfly center and the little church by the river. They are already starting to clear brush which means that they are destroying ocelot territory. Bye Ocelots, it was nice knowing you.

OcelotLeopardus-pardalis75.jpg

That sucks. Ocelots are cool little cats. It's a shame the environmental impacts of the wall rarely get discussed. 

This article in Texas Monthly talks about the habitat destruction and the impact on ecotourism that it could have. They are going for the low hanging fruit of public lands. I wonder if the Bensten's will take their land back. They gave some up in the 40's for $1 for wildlife preservation. If it isn't used that way, they had a clause that they can take it back but I haven't heard anything mentioned. So many years and all the hard work to revert old farm land back to it's natural state all fucked. Fuck Trump in the ass and whoever gave him the idea of the wall as political strategy.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/heres-trumps-border-wall-affect-ecotourism-rio-grande-valley/

• Like 2

Can’t wait to watch PRINCIPLED LIBERTARIAN Rand Paul vote to give Trump more power grabs. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Siap. Just reading about how if trump calls for the national emergency, the House can pass a bill with a simple majority to rescind the emergency.  Have to figure that is done within 5 minutes.  Because of the nature of that bill, McConnell has to allow a floor vote.  Can’t block or ignore it.  The senate republicans don’t want that.  Most oppose presidential power grabs but don’t want to force trump into a veto.

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

mcconnell just said that trump will sign the bill. then he'll declare a national emergency. and mcconnell will support the president in that declaration.

what a shit show.

THIS IS NOT AN EMERGENCY, YOU ORANGE TWAT

And the next Democratic president will thank him for opening the door for the climate change and gun violence national emergencies.

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

mcconnell just said that trump will sign the bill. then he'll declare a national emergency. and mcconnell will support the president in that declaration.

what a shit show.

THIS IS NOT AN EMERGENCY, YOU ORANGE TWAT

An emergency is necessary when Congress doesn’t have time to act. It’s going to be tough sledding in the courts to permit an emergency just bc the president didn’t receive enough funding for a pet project. 

Never mind the stupidity of an emergent years-long construction project. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pig Bellmont said:

An emergency is necessary when Congress doesn’t have time to act. It’s going to be tough sledding in the courts to permit an emergency just bc the president didn’t receive enough funding for a pet project. 

Never mind the stupidity of an emergent years-long construction project. 

This will be wrapped up in litigation for the rest of the year.

Yuge loss for the White House.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

And the next Democratic president will thank him for opening the door for the climate change and gun violence national emergencies.

the republicans cannot see past the end of the week. they are operating under such a short term basis that they cannot think through their burn it all down strategies. it is unbelievable, and i cannot believe that there is not a single republican senator with a semblance of a spine to vote out of caucus and think past 2020. to paraphrase hunter thompson, they are shitting in their own nests, but they are shitting in our nest too. 

when the democrats take over, they will hardline the fuck out of everything, and it will be the legacy of trump and mcconnell. seriously, i cannot stress this enough: fuck you, mitch, you autocratic fuckface.

• Like 4

Just now, hayden_horn said:

the republicans cannot see past the end of the week. they are operating under such a short term basis that they cannot think through their burn it all down strategies. it is unbelievable, and i cannot believe that there is not a single republican senator with a semblance of a spine to vote out of caucus and think past 2020. to paraphrase hunter thompson, they are shitting in their own nests, but they are shitting in our nest too. 

when the democrats take over, they will hardline the fuck out of everything, and it will be the legacy of trump and mcconnell. seriously, i cannot stress this enough: fuck you, mitch, you autocratic fuckface.

I've come to the conclusion that they realize they are about to be out of power for the next generation.

• Like 2

• Pancho changed the title to 2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story