2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

If I’m wrong on Trump declaring a national emergency, and it looks that way, then Trump once again proves himself an incompetent authoritarian.  

I miscalculated his stupidity.  

The savvy authoritarian would threaten national emergency all the way up to the last second and back off only to revive the tactic again when it suits him.

JFC the man is incomprehensibly ignorant.

My crow is in the oven until we get the signed national emergency documents.

There’s some speculation as to if Trump is declaring a new National Emergency or piggybacking off an existing Obama National Emergency regarding the cartels. 

The Obama national emergency froze the assets of the cartels where possible and prohibited doing business with them.  No federal funds were redirected.

15 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Has he done it yet? 

I could be wrong but imagine all the praise he will get in the media for not declaring a national emergency at the last minute.

Oh thank you Trump for coming to your senses and not going down this reckless path.  We are so lucky. 

Praise?  It would be more like Democrat chest thumping.  The Democrats get basically open borders for a year and what amounts to amnesty for people already here illegally with the so-called "compromise" that was signed...

The real problem is Congress is not doing their job once again and passing real comprehensive immigration reform....That is what is getting glossed over here...

29 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I saw his incompetence coming from 2015.  But I didn't follow it all the way through, to realize he'd have to make up for his incompetence by acting in unconstitutional manners.  But even if I did see that coming, then we'd have to realize his unconstitutional acts are hurt by . . . again . . . his incompetence.  

Dear Client,

Please do not stand in front of a microphone broadcast to millions and say the exact opposite of what I'm going to have to assert in court.

Sincerely,

Any lawyer.*

*(maybe not EMAW tho)

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

There’s some speculation as to if Trump is declaring a new National Emergency or piggybacking off an existing Obama National Emergency regarding the cartels. 

The Obama national emergency froze the assets of the cartels where possible and prohibited doing business with them.  No federal funds were redirected.

Both of these "emergencies" are examples of things that move me closer to the Brisket camp. They are two perfect examples of our system of government being broken beyond repair and operating in a manner that was never intended by the people who created it.

17 hours ago, Goredho said:

Trump's power (and possibly freedom) is dependent completely on two things 1) the roiling anger of the conservative street 2) their belief that he is the man to win the war they perceive themselves in.  That gives him leverage over the rest of the GOP.  A national emergency over the wall allows Trump to tell his base:

1.  I went to the mat for the wall
2.  It was congress, not I, that failed you
3.  Vote out the dems *and* tepid republicans so we can fully build the wall in 2020

I think its his best political play.  Shut things down again, and he would see his popularity plummet further outside his base.  Just sign off, and he would see his popularity among his base plummet.  This allows him to shore up his base and avoid the negative consequences of a shutdown.  He does not give a shit about the precedent.  He will be long gone before a Dem ever uses it.

Bumping my own shit, because fuck it, shameless self-promotion is all the rage now.  Anne Coulter is right.  Trump couldn't just sign the bill without royally pissing off the base and he couldn't shut things down again without pissing off everyone else.  This national emergency is his out.  He doesn't give a shit if a wall ever gets built.  He cares about whether his base is pissed off and believes in him.  Trump gets impeached with Senate Republicans twisting the knife the moment he loses his base.

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Both of these "emergencies" are examples of things that move me closer to the Brisket camp. They are two perfect examples of our system of government being broken beyond repair and operating in a manner that was never intended by the people who created it.

I feel like the kid at the end of the Searching for Bobby Fisher movie playing chess against Brisket.  I knew he was right but kept hoping... For some dumb reason. 

Just now, Goredho said:

Bumping my own shit, because fuck it, shameless self-promotion is all the rage now.  Anne Coulter is right.  Trump couldn't just sign the bill without royally pissing off the base and he couldn't shut things down again without pissing off everyone else.  This national emergency is his out.  He doesn't give a shit if a wall ever gets built.  He cares about whether his base is pissed off and believes in him.  Trump gets impeached with Senate Republicans twisting the knife the moment he loses his base.

A quick scan of Breitbart leads me to believe that the most virulent portion of his base isn't buying what he's selling. Some are, but many of the comments indicate that they know Trump caved and that the national emergency is nothing more than putting lipstick on a pig. Many of them are pissed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

A quick scan of Breitbart leads me to believe that the most virulent portion of his base isn't buying what he's selling. Some are, but many of the comments indicate that they know Trump caved and that the national emergency is nothing more than putting lipstick on a pig. Many of them are pissed.

Good, the biggest threat to his presidency has been the slip in his base numbers associated with the shutdown.

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

Okay, this take assumes some remarkable things that need recognition.

1. Trump is afraid of his base.

2. Trump’s base can either turn on him or Trump thinks the base can turn on him. 

I still think Trump could get away with anything without losing his base. 

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

2. Trump’s base can either turn on him or Trump thinks the base can turn on him. 

He'll never lose his base. But his base isn't enough to get him re-elected.

We'll see, but I think this was Trump's only play that has a chance to avoid the political ramifications of causing another shutdown (piss off the general population) or completely folding on border security (piss off his base).  I hope DD is right in what he's seeing in conservative corners -- that the voices the conservative street tune into and that led them to Trump in the first place are calling this out as a sleight-of-hand to avoid the political consequences of reneging on the border wall campaign promise.  The quickest end to the Trump presidency is an erosion of his base's confidence in him as their champion.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Trump is the ultimate reality tv star, and reality tv stars are always terrified of losing their audience.  With that said, he does know that his audience isn’t going anywhere as long as he gives them what he and they think they want.  

We mock him when he boasts about ratings in the %40 range.   Guess what?  He never had more than %7-8 of the American public watching his Apprentice showat it’s peak, and even then only the finales. For him, having %30 of the public liking him is a huge ratings win.  

His flippant comments about how he didn’t need to do this makes me think the reality tv part of his personality is 100% in charge, and he knows this won’t survive a judicial review, but it’s exactly what he needed to do to toss a bone to his audience and pretend to fight for them.  

39 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Could another shutdown seize the purse?

Sure. The emergency is a constitutional crisis that democrats exist and won some elections and won't let the cheeto god do whatever he wants. It can only be solved by conveying all powers of Congress to the president and installing him for life.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I know it's the point of your posting of this photo, but is anyone else more convinced than ever that Kim Jong Un is gay?  NTTAWWT 

But seriously, that's about how comfortable Liberace looked with that many women fawning over him.  And I think both had the same wardrobe designer.

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

I know it's the point of your posting of this photo, but is anyone else more convinced than ever that Kim Jong Un is gay?  NTTAWWT 

But seriously, that's about how comfortable Liberace looked with that many women fawning over him.  And I think both had the same wardrobe designer.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Kim is gay but I know every public photo of him released is carefully staged to project a certain image.

Like in this one, he’s displayed as an amicable beloved leader. 

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Maybe he doesn't like Asian chicks?

3 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Maybe he doesn't like Asian chicks?

Wouldn't that make the best sequel to "Team America"???.....the ultimate irony.  A homely guy with fame, power, and wealth is literally stuck in a country that is solely populated by the one type of woman he's not attracted to...skinny/malnourished Asian women?  He can't fraternize with other types of women when he travels because it undermines his entire power structure back home as the superior part of the peninsula.  And he can't exactly import hot ass from other ethic groups because the moment anybody goes missing in North Korea, it's international news for months. 

I could see this being a funny Netflix mini-series.  

Edited by Lobo

• 4 weeks later...
  • Pancho changed the title to 2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story