2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

Let there be no ambiguity here.

The Senate had the option of voting to put money in the pocket of a crooked Russian oligarch.

The Senate had the option of voting to pay 800,000 Americans who are working without pay.

The Senate chose to make sure the Russian oligarch got paid.  They won't even hold a vote on whether actual Americans working for a living get paid.

In case you wondered who the Senate is working for.  It ain't us.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Facts:  Tad Devine worked closely with Rick Gates serving Putin's political interests, just like Paul Manafort.  Two of those guys have been indicted by Mueller.  One is sitting in prison, the other flipped and is a cooperating witness.  Tad Devine joined Sanders as chief campaign strategist for 2016 following his Ukraine work with Gates.  Sanders then received a $10M anonymous campaign donation.  Sanders went on to play a significant role in dividing one side of the presidential election.  Sanders has now twice abstained from Senate votes that would punish Russian interests.

Nothing else was said.

3 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Facts:  Tad Devine worked closely with Rick Gates serving Putin's political interests, just like Paul Manafort.  Two of those guys have been indicted by Mueller.  One is sitting in prison, the other flipped and is a cooperating witness.  Tad Devine joined Sanders as chief campaign strategist for 2016 following his Ukraine work with Gates.  Sanders then received a $10M anonymous campaign donation.  Sanders went on to play a significant role in dividing one side of the presidential election.  Sanders has now twice abstained from Senate votes that would punish Russian interests.

Nothing else was said.

Fact: Bears eat beets.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm continually amazed at how brazen and tone-deaf the Senate GOP continues to be.  Are there really enough mouth breathing simpletons out there to make them think the optics of voting to lift sanctions at the same time they are refusing to vote on a bill to reopen portions of the government will not come back to bite them?

I have a domestic flight tomorrow and an international flight on Saturday and am legit concerned about my safety.  This is depressing.  Not to mention my flight tomorrow is out of IAH at 7:30 am, so I'm planning on getting there at 5:30.  FML.

Serious question:

Can someone help explain to me the Deripaska sanction lifting thing?  I have read in a few places (but not have not done a deep dive) wherein it does not appear to me to be a simply black and white issue about whether the sanctions should remain against the corporations if they still apply to his ownership.  I was under the impression that several European countries and many banking/financial entities are in favor of lifting them.  I don't care to spend hours going through everything but would appreciate a quick analysis of this.

I assume the answer is that by letting the corporate entities continue to do business that somehow Deripaska will nonetheless retain or hide ownership to accomplish the same end as a full withdrawal of sanctions, or something like that.

TIA

1 minute ago, The Royal We said:

I'm continually amazed at how brazen and tone-deaf the Senate GOP continues to be.  Are there really enough mouth breathing simpletons out there to make them think the optics of voting to lift sanctions at the same time they are refusing to vote on a bill to reopen portions of the government will not come back to bite them?

I have a domestic flight tomorrow and an international flight on Saturday and am legit concerned about my safety.  This is depressing.  Not to mention my flight tomorrow is out of IAH at 7:30 am, so I'm planning on getting there at 5:30.  FML.

There’s so much time left on the clock for them to redeem themselves politically.  Now is the time they can get away with almost anything and not suffer substantial election losses. 

No one will remember this 21 months from now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

Serious question:

Can someone help explain to me the Deripaska sanction lifting thing?  I have read in a few places (but not have not done a deep dive) wherein it does not appear to me to be a simply black and white issue about whether the sanctions should remain against the corporations if they still apply to his ownership.  I was under the impression that several European countries and many banking/financial entities are in favor of lifting them.  I don't care to spend hours going through everything but would appreciate a quick analysis of this.

I assume the answer is that by letting the corporate entities continue to do business that somehow Deripaska will nonetheless retain or hide ownership to accomplish the same end as a full withdrawal of sanctions, or something like that.

TIA

#QAnon

• Like 1

A family member who for years underreported his income so his five kids could eat government-subsidized school lunches, is now posting on Facebook that we need a wall to keep all those illegals from coming here to leech off welfare.  

Smdh.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

There’s so much time left on the clock for them to redeem themselves politically.  Now is the time they can get away with almost anything and not suffer substantial election losses. 

No one will remember this 21 months from now.

I do not understand why you continue to think this.  In order for this to happen, the actual Republican VOTERS will have to magically abandon all of their pro-Trump beliefs as well.

GOP congressman abandoning Trump will not make the vast majority of their Republican constituents want to vote for them.  

57 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I

God forbid they ever solve this fictional problem because they wouldn’t have much else to run on except “fuck the dems”. 

Never underestimate what they can come up with to run on to "fuck the dems"

Gays, same sex marriage, health care, browns, blacks, guns, God, drugs, sex, crime, music, film, the military.  This is just a sampling of the wedge issues that Team R has employed in an attempt to "fuck the dems" the past 30 or so years.  Even if immigration was nullified as a political point, they would evolve into the next issue they could use to scare people.

And the common thread on all the wedge shit they have used for decades now?  Fear.  That's it.  They have built their their entire premise as a political party on fear.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I do not understand why you continue to think this.  In order for this to happen, the actual Republican VOTERS will have to magically abandon all of their pro-Trump beliefs as well.

GOP congressman abandoning Trump will not make the vast majority of their Republican constituents want to vote for them.  

GOP voters will vote for the (R) next to the name like they always do.  

Ted Cruz kinda proved this. 

Trump or no Trump makes little difference 

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

GOP voters will vote for the (R) next to the name like they always do.  

Ted Cruz kinda proved this. 

Trump or no Trump makes little difference 

Anti-Trump GOP congressmen get slaughtered in 2020. A complete massacre. They all know it too. That's why they're sticking with him. 

And Cruz had to bend the knee to Trump in order to beat Beto. 

EDIT: And acting like we live in a time that a group of voters will act "like they always do" seems foolish. That thinking is how we got Trump in the first place. Not a single Republican primary candidate really went after Trump. Why? Because they expected Republican voters to vote "like they always do". Whoops. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I took his point as that there's still 21 months until the next election, and a shit ton of malfeasance between now and then.  No trump voters, even those who aren't getting paid right now, are going to remember this in 21 months.

1 hour ago, triplehorn said:

Both appear to have a Russia problem.  Bernie received $10M from an unknown source.  

Bernie Sanders' chief campaign strategist for 2016 was Tad Devine, who worked closely with Rick Gates in Ukraine.

I suspect we'll be learning more about Bernie Sanders in due time.

Good if he's dirty get another rope.  I want everyone who even had a whiff of this treason spend their days terrified of what Mueller knows and their fellow inmates private parts

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

I took his point as that there's still 21 months until the next election, and a shit ton of malfeasance between now and then.  No trump voters, even those who aren't getting paid right now, are going to remember this in 21 months.

Correct.  It’s also why they don’t really give a fuck about the shutdown 

8 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Not a single Republican primary candidate really went after Trump.

There were plenty of Republicans that wanted Trump nowhere near their voters.  

Many of these spineless GOPers are just keeping their heads down and hoping the storm passes.  Furrowed brows everywhere. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

STFU, Abbott.  You've been shoveling coal into the engine of this Stupid Train as fast as you can.  Now you sit down, shut up, and enjoy the ride to Hell.

Woah woah woah, so he isn't able to get mad at trump? Is he supposed to just take it? What the the hell, I'd figured you'd be okay with him wanting to help you know Texans more than Trump's wall.

Two people can want the same thing, but want it done differently.

Woah woah woah, so he isn't able to get mad at trump? Is he supposed to just take it? What the the hell, I'd figured you'd be okay with him wanting to help you know Texans more than Trump's wall.
Two people can want the same thing, but want it done differently.

You don’t get to stoke a fucking wildfire of bad decisions, then bitch when it starts to burn down your house.
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

You don’t get to stoke a fucking wildfire of bad decisions, then bitch when it starts to burn down your house.

Yes you do, if it was a controll burn that became a wild fire. I'd bet they were hoping to get it in the budget, but no budget so no wall, better divert to things already being spent on. The American way.

6 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Yes you do, if it was a controll burn that became a wild fire. I'd bet they were hoping to get it in the budget, but no budget so no wall, better divert to things already being spent on. The American way.

No, the wildfire is stoking Trump and the Trumpkins.  This isn't about the wall, it never was.  It's about pandering to an out-of-control base.  Abbott happily turned over the keys to executive power to Trump and the Trumpkins -- he championed it at every turn.  This is what you fucking get.  This is what you get when you hand the keys to a fucking deranged shitbag.  You lit the Trump fire.  Now watch it fucking burn.  It WILL burn you in the process, you dumbass.  That's why everyone with any sanity was saying "don't light that fucking fire."  But the GOP establishment didn't fucking listen.  Tough shit now, you don't get to bitch now. You chose this leadership.  You fought for it.  Enjoy the fruits of your labor, being jammed up your own ass sideways.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No, the wildfire is stoking Trump and the Trumpkins.  This isn't about the wall, it never was.  It's about pandering to an out-of-control base.  Abbott happily turned over the keys to executive power to Trump and the Trumpkins -- he championed it at every turn.  This is what you fucking get.  This is what you get when you hand the keys to a fucking deranged shitbag.  You lit the Trump fire.  Now watch it fucking burn.  It WILL burn you in the process, you dumbass.  That's why everyone with any sanity was saying "don't light that fucking fire."  But the GOP establishment didn't fucking listen.  Tough shit now, you don't get to bitch now. You chose this leadership.  You fought for it.  Enjoy the fruits of your labor, being jammed up your own ass sideways.

I can't say I disagree with you. I will disagree that Abbott trying to protect Texans that were harmed by a disaster just cause he also agreed with the wall. Do you just want him to lie on his back and just take whatever trump pushes into him, even if he's not beholdened to trump?

Jesus must you always speak in parables.

Just now, DaysOff said:
15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Jesus must you always speak in parables.

You'll have to take that up with Him.  He was pretty parable-y, I'll give you that.

How about this -- Abbott has uniformly supported Trump being a raging fucking asshole.  He has no credibility to then criticize something assholish that Trump is proposing.   Direct enough for you?

• Like 9

Any updates on security lines at ABIA? I've got to fly out Friday evening and have heard that, in addition to IAH, DAL & DFW lines are getting really bad.
I flew last week and walked right in. Business as usual. That was mid morning on a Thursday, though, not a Friday night.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes, our country is overrun with mouth breathing simpletons. Have you been in a coma since 2015?

I don't know 'stache, I guess I'm a hopeless optimist thinking that people are waking up as more new stuff comes to light.  I guess I just care too much. 

Or maybe I'm the mouth breathing simpleton for thinking there's more than a sliver of truth to the deluge of information that continues to pile up re: Trump/Russia/headed to hell in a hand basket.  I know I'm swimming upstream in the industry I work in and area I live in.

It would be more apt to say they provided the gas, lighters, and fireworks for the pre-teens to play with cause they thought it would be fun to burn down a few libs houses. Winds changed and it’s coming back at them and threatening their house.

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Carpetbagger Dannie Goeb notably absent from that bunch.  

I hate Dannie Goeb more than practically anyone else in the state of Texas.  He and that other carpetbagging asshole, Ted Cruz, can both burn on a pyre while the rest of us sing Texas Our Texas.  Fuckers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Anti-Trump GOP congressmen get slaughtered in 2020. A complete massacre. They all know it too. That's why they're sticking with him. 

And Cruz had to bend the knee to Trump in order to beat Beto. 

EDIT: And acting like we live in a time that a group of voters will act "like they always do" seems foolish. That thinking is how we got Trump in the first place. Not a single Republican primary candidate really went after Trump. Why? Because they expected Republican voters to vote "like they always do". Whoops. 

Beto was a great candidate who ran a great campaign, and still lost to fucking Tedddddd.... 

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Correct.  It’s also why they don’t really give a fuck about the shutdown 

Lulz, these gop senators could be pulling this shit weeks before the 2020 election, and it still wouldn't matter. Who besides Mcsally would fear losing their seat? 

Brisket is right, and the only chance we have is a Calexit where the handful of sane states left follow suit.

7 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Can't open the US gov, but we can make time to lighten the burden on some Russians. 

That's some pure bullshit right there.

Lifting sanctions while essentially continuing to impose sanctions on your own country. People can disagree about policy, even about really big and passionate things, but it’s hard to see this as anything other than actively working against the interests of the United States in support of a foreign interest.

• Like 1

• Pancho changed the title to 2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story