Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

7 hours ago, Goredho said:

We tend to think of Trump backers as a homogenous group, but they aren't.  I think its important to distinguish between the plutocrats, the true racists/white nationalists and the exploited working class that are supporting the GOP right now.

6 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

That picture is proof that Trumpkins will never turn on him EVEN IF HE DIRECTLY GETS THEIR LOVED ONES KILLED!

I don't think this is the case.  As I said in the GOP thread, I peeked at a bunch of Trumpkin forums, and people are in open revolt over the mental health/red flag legislation Trump mentioned on twitter this morning.  They are outright saying they will either stay home or vote against Trump to teach him and the GOP a lesson, and they are openly saying it on forums where even a little criticism of Dear Leader normally gets you in hot water.

But it shouldn't be surprising - Trump got elected on the back of angry people, and people like that, it's like grabbing a tiger by the tail.  If they even think you are an evil libtard who wants their guns, you're in a world of shit.

Plus, the red-flag legislation would probably target a lot of them.

• Like 1

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

I don't think this is the case.  As I said in the GOP thread, I peeked at a bunch of Trumpkin forums, and people are in open revolt over the mental health/red flag legislation Trump mentioned on twitter this morning.  They are outright saying they will either stay home or vote against Trump to teach him and the GOP a lesson, and they are openly saying it on forums where even a little criticism of Dear Leader normally gets you in hot water.

But it shouldn't be surprising - Trump got elected on the back of angry people, and people like that, it's like grabbing a tiger by the tail.  If they even think you are an evil libtard who wants their guns, you're in a world of shit.

We'll see.  People often say shit like that to vent and because they think a big public backlash will make their candidate change positions, but that doesn't mean they really mean it. 

7 hours ago, Goredho said:

We tend to think of Trump backers as a homogenous group, but they aren't.  I think its important to distinguish between the plutocrats, the true racists/white nationalists and the exploited working class that are supporting the GOP right now.

Fourth group is my dumb ass brother and most of the guys and sweet Wrangler-wearing girls I went to high school with who considered themselves "kickers".

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Captainant said:

Eh I disagree, the EO was enabling a non-medical agency to make medical diagnosises without any sort of appeals or verification method once they made the arbitrary decision. What's your thinking behind them being wrong on this? I'm genuinely not trolling here lol, I want to see it from your perspective

I'm not tryint to be slippery, but let me ask you a question first - if they have been determined to be incapable of managing their own finances, isn't that the larger infringement on their volition with a far greater potential for misuse? We're talking about somebody who the SSA has determined after an investigation (usually at the request of a relative or friend) is unable to manage their finances and appoints a representative payee. If the person disagrees with the determination to appoint, they can appeal to SSA. In what way is that arbitrary?

https://www.ssa.gov/payee/index.htm

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

• Like 1

Fourth group is my dumb ass brother and most of the guys and sweet Wrangler-wearing girls I went to high school with who considered themselves "kickers".

We called them kickers growing up too. My daughter says they’re called “ye-ye’s” at her HS. Like ye-haw ye-ye’s

3 hours ago, F250 said:

Ever visited Appalachia? There are areas there that are no different than the shanty towns along the Texas-Mexico border. The only real difference is the skin tone. Doesn't matter if you are white, black or brown, its tough being poor in America. You never get any breaks.

Democrats need to stop taking the identity politics bait. Focus on class tension and hammer away at it.

Poor whites don't realize they have more in common with poor African-Americans or poor Hispanics than they do with Trump and the other rich folks, and the GOP makes sure of that.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Trumpkins in 2016: "We like Trump, he's willing to do whatever it takes to carry out his goals!"

Trump in February, 2018:  “I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida - to go to court would have taken a long time.  Take the guns first, go through due process second!"

Trumpkins: "WE DIDN'T THINK TRUMP WOULD DO WHAT HE SAID OR THAT HE WOULD USE EXECUTIVE ORDERS TO INFRINGE ON OUR RIGHTS!"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The people selling poor white Texans lottery tickets are White Texas Republicans.  IT's a wonderfully self-fulfilling prophecy.  

Saw a Youtube ad for the Texas lottery last night, with some prize being a stay at some mountain cabin-looking resort, and the featured entertainers were fucking Rascal Flats.

Lot of Trumpkins bought tickets based on that ad.

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trumpkins in 2016: "We like Trump, he's willing to do whatever it takes to carry out his goals!"

Trump in February, 2018:  “I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida - to go to court would have taken a long time.  Take the guns first, go through due process second!"

Trumpkins: "WE DIDN'T THINK TRUMP WOULD DO WHAT HE SAID OR THAT HE WOULD USE EXECUTIVE ORDERS TO INFRINGE ON OUR RIGHTS!"

"He's not hurting the people he needs to be."

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Loco said:

EBhXUGdXYAESAtu?format=jpg&name=900x900

One of these things is not like the others. One of these things just isn't the same.

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This needs to be repeated often to remind them who we are dealing with.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

obligatory

DQTsHiMX0AIRDKl.jpg

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I'm not tryint to be slippery, but let me ask you a question first - if they have been determined to be incapable of managing their own finances, isn't that the larger infringement on their volition with a far greater potential for misuse? We're talking about somebody who the SSA has determined after an investigation (usually at the request of a relative or friend) is unable to manage their finances and appoints a representative payee. If the person disagrees with the determination to appoint, they can appeal to SSA. In what way is that arbitrary?

https://www.ssa.gov/payee/index.htm

(we shouldn't derail the thread with this convo - BUT) My understanding is that the issue in this particular case was that SSA was applying that label to individuals who employed the services of a financial adviser/money manager. It's not a sign of mental capabilities if you employ someone to handle your finances, it's something more people should do. That EO was basically saying that anyone who uses a representative payee is by default "lacks the mental capacity to contract or manage his affairs", as they would have been added to the NICS blacklist via that rule.

2 hours ago, F250 said:

I am in complete agreement that there is definitely a flow of racial tension and it's being used to distract the white working class. I am not saying that racism should be ignored but that Democrats should be cautious when addressing the racial divide by not taking the bait. The GOP benefits the most if the white working class is excluded by Democrats.

The white democrats need to call on the white working class people of good conscience to stand up and do the right thing.  Now is their moment to shine. 

They need to recognize the harm being caused to their fellow citizens of color, the terror they are living in, and where it’s coming from.  Americans stand up for other Americans, this is our creed and we need to demonstrate it right now.  It doesn’t matter where someone came from or what they look like.  We are going to defend each other.

^Some messaging like that might work without alienating people by calling them racist.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

14 minutes ago, Captainant said:

(we shouldn't derail the thread with this convo - BUT) My understanding is that the issue in this particular case was that SSA was applying that label to individuals who employed the services of a financial adviser/money manager. That EO was basically saying that anyone who uses a representative payee is by default "lacks the mental capacity to contract or manage his affairs", as they would have been added to the NICS blacklist via that rule.

Nope, that was just spin. It was a narrow regulation limited to "individuals who receive Disability Insurance benefits under title II of the Social Security Act (Act) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments under title XVI of the Act and who also meet certain other criteria, including an award of benefits based on a finding that the individual's mental impairment meets or medically equals the requirements of section 12.00 of the Listing of Impairments (Listings) and receipt of benefits through a representative payee."

So thats:

• On disability or SSI, and
  • are medically impaired in specific ways under the regulation, and
  • Receive benefits through a payee

And remember, a payee is appointed by the SSA following an investigation of the beneficiary, not the beneficiary themselves. 

To me the best argument against the rule is that there is no basis in evidence for depriving that person of a constitutional right. Indeed, as the NRA themselves concedes. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The white democrats need to call on the white working class people of good conscience to stand up and do the right thing.  Now is their moment to shine. 

They need to recognize the harm being caused to their fellow citizens of color, the terror they are living in, and where it’s coming from.  Americans stand up for other Americans, this is our creed and we need to demonstrate it right now.  It doesn’t matter where someone came from or what they look like.  We are going to defend each other.

^Some messaging like that might work without alienating people by calling them racist.

I mentioned on the travel thread, but I just got back from NYC where I saw the Aaron Sorkin and Jeff Daniels as Atticus Finch updated interpretation of To Kill a Mockingbird, on Broadway.

There were a lot of updated sensibilities and contemporary nods (to Trump/2019) and some one-liners that drew applause or laughter with regards to those nods, but it seems that by and large the sentiments found in that book 50 years ago are playing out today and your post reminds me of that. Atticus needed his fellow working white class people to do the right thing, etc. That was their moment to shine and make a difference, etc.

Not germane to this post or the political thread, but I found this rendition to better than the original though because Atticus is portrayed a reductive, passive white man of the kind that MLK decried in his Letter from a Bham Jail, who has to be shaken out of his complacency from the black housekeeper who is given agency. 

Also one of the lines that helped me to understand even modern day racism was when Scout was questioning about Bob Ewell, "why are they still so upset and bitter about the civil war, it happened 80 years ago" and Atticus says, "Yesterday. It happened to yesterday to him and lots of others like him. They feel it like it was yesterday." 

I think we live in a society where a lot of people are still thinking of "yesterday".

Edited by Rougarou
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Chooky said:

Giving a huge toothy grin and an enthusiastic, double thumbs up when you visit people who just had bullets rip through their tissue and people who watched bullets rip through and kill other people right next to them.  The inability to even feign the proper emotion is just as incredible as the inability to truly embrace the magnitude of what happened to them.  That's someone who just doesn't understand the species.  The human species.  He doesn't get it.  The double thumbs up with the huge smile is dark comedy.  If it was a dark sketch it'd be kinda funny just considering the irony of the disproportionate response to atrocity.  But it really happened.  Half the country didn't find it absurd or even strange.  I remember the scene of Leslie Nielson laughing hysterically coming out of the movie theater and the camera pans to the marquee to reveal that he'd just watched 'Platoon.'  It was funny.  Just the brief jolt of an inappropriate response was funny.  That was the simplicity of the punchline and it worked.  But this was real.  How do some people mentally manage any of this as normal?

• Like 2

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-09/firstenergy-solutions-to-shut-coal-fired-plant-19-months-early

A Pennsylvania power plant that was at the center of President Donald Trump’s effort to revive the coal industry will be closing 19 months ahead of schedule.

FirstEnergy Solutions Corp. plans to shutter the Bruce Mansfield power plant’s Unit 3 in November because of “a lack of economic viability,” according to a statementFriday. The company had earlier said it would close the site in June 2021. Units 1 and 2 were deactivated in February.

trumpcoal-6012018.jpeg?w=955

trump-hard-hat-coal-370x246.jpg

• Like 1

Just for a heat check - even the ACLU was for this move. The EO let the SSA arbitrarily adjudicate the mental capabilities of social security recipients based purely on if they used a financial advisor or not. 
https://www.aclu.org/letter/aclu-vote-recommendation-social-security-ncis-rule-fair-pay-and-safe-workplaces-eo-senate
"The rule includes no meaningful due process protections prior to the SSA’s transmittal of names to the NICS database. The determination by SSA line staff that a beneficiary needs a representative payee to manage their money benefit is simply not an “adjudication” in any ordinary meaning of the word. Nor is it a determination that the person “[l]acks the mental capacity to contract or manage his own affairs” as required by the NICS.  Indeed, the law and the SSA clearly state that representative payees are appointed for many individuals who are legally competent."

The policy in question was never a matter of someone “using a financial advisor”. I’ve represented a shit ton of people with Payee requirements. Not one of them should be armed. I will say though, that there needs to be a somewhat more formal process above a mere agency staff level decision.

6 hours ago, F250 said:

Ever visited Appalachia? There are areas there that are no different than the shanty towns along the Texas-Mexico border. The only real difference is the skin tone. Doesn't matter if you are white, black or brown, its tough being poor in America. You never get any breaks.

Democrats need to stop taking the identity politics bait. Focus on class tension and hammer away at it.

It is tough being poor no matter what race you are in America but it's also undeniable that there is a racial undertone in this that keeps poor working class white folks voting against their own interests, especially if it meant those "other" folks don't get a leg up. If white, black, brown, etc working class folks got together and really allied with each other the whole system would be turned upside down but the aftermath of Bacon's Rebellion ensured that would never happen again, and also the allure of white supremacy is just too strong for many folks. 

Edited by Slade
  • Like 2

On 8/8/2019 at 2:40 PM, Js1 said:

Donald J. Trump would have a shit eating grin and a thumbs up going on while standing on the rubble of the WTC if he was President on 9/11. 

He would not have visited the site. He would've been found standing in front of his building in lower Manhattan smiling and claiming it was now the tallest.

16 minutes ago, Slade said:

It is tough being poor no matter what race you are in America but it's also undeniable that there is a racial undertone in this that keeps poor working class white folks voting against their own interests, especially if it meant those "other" folks don't get a leg up. If white, black, brown, etc working class folks got together and really allied with each other the whole system would be turned upside down but the aftermath of Bacon's Rebellion ensured that would never happen again and also the allure of white supremacy is just too strong for many folks. 

Did you know, Mr. Torrance, that your son... is attempting to bring
   an outside party into this situation?

Did you know that?

No.

He is, Mr. Torrance.

Who?

A nigger.

A nigger!

A nigger cook.

Your son has a very great talent.
            I don't think you are aware how
            great it is, but he is attempting
            to use that very talent against
            your will.

Well, he is a very willful boy

Indeed, he is, Mr. Torrance.  A
            very willful boy.  A rather naughty
            boy, if I may be so bold, sir.

It's his mother.

She eh... interferes

Perhaps they need a good talking
            to, if you don't mind my saying so.
            Perhaps a bit more.

On 8/8/2019 at 3:47 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Why?  Then they win.  Make life hell for them.  They publicly support Trump - we make sure that business feels the pain.  Their racist posts are caught online - make it impossible for the assholes to get a job.  You act like we all don't have the means to fight back.  We do.  Fuck them all, one at a time. 

I like the cut of your jib. 

I continue to think there must be an easier way to catalog these things.  Think of it as an inverted pyramid -- like those of us who took journalism or some sort of writing class -- big points up top, flesh it out as you go down.  (The point in print journalism is that the layout editor can efficiently cut off the bottom of the story as needed to fit alloted space and not worry about lost content.)

I'm serious, there is an opportunity here for an enterprising soul to organize Trump's malfeasance in a way where it's easy to access and nothing gets forgotten.  It's all too much for me.  

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm serious, there is an opportunity here for an enterprising soul to organize Trump's malfeasance in a way where it's easy to access and nothing gets forgotten.  It's all too much for me.  

I’m considering writing a Trivial Pursuit board game exclusively on Trump malfeasance.  

I could probably write an entire game from memory just on the Russia investigation alone.  

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz