Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

Rick Wilson has the correct take on impeachment in this article.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/pelosis-strategy-is-working-and-trump-is-one-step-closer-to-being-fcked‬

Basically, impeachment is the goal, NOT the first step and that Pelosi and Nadler are using the court victories and current investigations as a “death by 1,000 cuts” strategy to move public opinion to overwhelmingly favor impeachment. And that Trump and his cronies continued refusal to obey the law is playing into their strategy.

And I think that’s right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

When.  WHEN he calls Pet a "faggot"* on stage, his rating will go up 2-4 points.

* He MIGHT say pansy or nancy instead of faggot.  But there WILL be a slur.  Believe me.

and all republicans will cheer and roar their approval when he does.   the only thing that remains to be seen is which ones do it publicly, and which ones do it behind closed doors.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

"To win the Super Bowl, all you need is someone as good as Tom Brady as your QB."  Great plan.  Except for the fact that nobody else has a Tom Brady.

IT IS NOT IN THEIR SELF-INTEREST TO CONVICT TRUMP.  A GOP party official CANNOT go against Trump -- disloyalty is punished with political death.  And if you're in even a light red state, that political death will come right soon.  There IS NO GOP outside of "the party of Trump."  The Venn diagram for "GOP" and "Trumpism" is two perfectly overlapping circles.  I can't believe we're still having this conversation 2.5 years into this shitshow.

They don’t have to convict Trump. They just need to feel uncomfortable enough to not vote at all. 

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

They don’t have to convict Trump. They just need to feel uncomfortable enough to not vote at all. 

Jesus.  The deranged hope is strong in this one.  Hoping that evil people will do good, or just stop doing evil -- what a waste of fucking time, and if you make ANY decision based on that hope, it's folly.

2 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

and all republicans will cheer and roar their approval when he does.   the only thing that remains to be seen is which ones do it publicly, and which ones do it behind in closed doors stalls.

fify

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Jesus.  The deranged hope is strong in this one.  Hoping that evil people will do good, or just stop doing evil -- what a waste of fucking time, and if you make ANY decision based on that hope, it's folly.

Maybe this time Lucy won't pull the football away at the last moment!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You think the guys in the Senate are full blown moron Trumpkins?  They’re not.  They’re calculating Ivy League guys that all want to be president someday.  They act like they’re in Cult 45 but they’re not, they’re just playing the role gain to access and power.  Once Trump becomes a marked man for political death they’ll turn on him and go back to being the evil fucks they used to be.  

The problem is no one wants to challenge him. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

You think the guys in the Senate are full blown moron Trumpkins?  They’re not.  They’re calculating Ivy League guys that all want to be president someday.  They act like they’re in Cult 45 but they’re not, they’re just playing the role gain to access and power.  Once Trump becomes a marked man for political death they’ll turn on him and go back to being the evil fucks they used to be.  

You’re getting Jeff Flaked by 53 people who include assholes like Lindsay Graham, John Cornyn, Susan Collins, and Ted Cruz.

You’re going to need counseling when this inevitably doesn’t work out.
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

All you have to do is make it in their self interest to convict Trump.  That’s it.  It’s not about party or country.  You just have to believe a compelling enough case can be made where not convicting is a huge political liability. 

this is where your logic is flawed.

in your mind, these are guys on the fence.  they know what is right, and if they can just convince themselves that it'll save them politically, then they'll go along with it.

it's not that "it might save them politically" to vote to remove it's that "it will 100% fuck them politically" to vote to remove.  you're 180 on this whole thing.  their careers will be over. 

the only way it would work (in fantasyland) is if, and only if, 20 of them get together and planned it out to all vote to remove.  if you want to give me odds on that scenario, i will take even money that he gets assassinated first.

3 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

You’re getting Jeff Flaked by 53 people who include assholes like Lindsay Graham, John Cornyn, Susan Collins, and Ted Cruz.

You’re going to need counseling when this inevitably doesn’t work out.

Ah, well, nevertheless. 

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Brisket is right. The GOP will not do anything other than close ranks.

Justin Amash went all Ned Stark the other day and look at what happened to him. The President insulted him on Twitter right before his own caucus rebuked him, conservative media has labeled him a liberal RINO and he has been marked to be primaried.

An example is being made of Amash for the rest of the GOP Congress.

grBt5r.gif

NedHEad1.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

Brisket is right. The GOP will not do anything other than close ranks.

Justin Amash went all Ned Stark the other day and look at what happened to him. The President insulted him on Twitter right before his own caucus rebuked him, conservative media has labeled him a liberal RINO and he has been marked to be primaried.

An example is being made of Amash for the rest of the GOP Congress.

grBt5r.gif

NedHEad1.png

And why was he made an example?  Because they’re terrified of the whole house of cards falling apart.  The Justin Amash case really indicates how fearful they are of revolt. 

If House Trump was strong they wouldn’t give a shit about Amash. 

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I DONT THINK TRUMP WOULD GET CONVICTED IN THE SENATE. 

But that’s not a reason not to try. 

That’s my entire point. 

Surviving a Senate impeachment trial will show Trump to actually be bulletproof/untouchable.  That's the outcome of your path.

You fantasize that the evil will become good.  Not going to happen.  You fantasize that by showing them to be evil, the mouthbreathers that support them won't support them anymore.  THE EVIL IS THE FUCKING POINT.  Jesus fucking Christ I can't believe some of you don't fucking get it yet.

You'll never convince a cancer cell to go back to being a good cell.  They are cancerous, through and through, forever and ever. Because it PAYS for them to be cancerous.  They get support because they are cancerous.  Their team LOVES that they are cancerous.

• Like 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Surviving a Senate impeachment trial will show Trump to actually be bulletproof/untouchable.  That's the outcome of your path.

You fantasize that the evil will become good.  Not going to happen.  You fantasize that by showing them to be evil, the mouthbreathers that support them won't support them anymore.  THE EVIL IS THE FUCKING POINT.  Jesus fucking Christ I can't believe some of you don't fucking get it yet.

You'll never convince a cancer cell to go back to being a good cell.  They are cancerous, through and through, forever and ever. Because it PAYS for them to be cancerous.  They get support because they are cancerous.  Their team LOVES that they are cancerous.

Not impeaching him proves he is untouchable/bulletproof.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

youre from LA.  everyone else is TX.  stick with the ones we are most familiar with:  Cruz, Cornyn, Kennedy, (someone else I can't think of but literally have no doubt about my position so i won't even bother looking up).  Which of those guys is not a Trumpkin?

Not impeaching him proves he is untouchable/bulletproof.

He has parlayed his stupidity into winning the fucking presidency.

And the opposition continues to say "yeah, but that won't work" in the face of rock-solid evidence that it works like a charm.

He's serving two terms.  Bank on it.

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

On second thought Brisket’s strategy of giving up make perfect sense. 

Yes, that's it.  My original post of "we have two shitty options, let's pick the one that's least shitty in the longterm -- focus on turning swing voters in swing states, and whatever it takes to do that" is "giving up."

All I'm suggesting is we opt AGAINST the "let's shoot ourselves in the dick again and hand Trump a win" strategy.

• Like 2

On second thought Brisket’s strategy of giving up makes perfect sense. 

Hugo, just so I can better understand where you're coming from, I'd be really curious to get your probabilities on each of the possible outcomes of starting impeachment.

Impeached by house, acquitted by senate, loses re-election

Impeached by house, acquitted by senate, wins re-election

Impeached by house, convicted by senate

I really don't buy this BS about him gaining more support or giving him the excuse to wield more despot power if he's impeached and not convicted. If you supposedly believe in our system of institutions and checks and balances then you have a duty to impeach Trump. A god damned member of the Freedom Caucus is letting his nuts hang more than the Democratic leadership.

• Like 4

Trump will be destroyed in the 2020 election. Everyone in congress knows this. Unless the R's can save some serious face, they are looking at losing the presidency and the senate, to go with the house. They know this. I think they are maintaining the party line right now to avoid deciding what to do, waiting as long as possible to see what other news comes out and where public opinion is headed. But on the current trajectory, the GOP is fucked. 

I agree they are evil fucks. But if the above is true, it would be in the Senate's best interest to convict, try to claim some moral high ground which gives them a chance to save senate seats and run a candidate for president that has a better chance than Trump. 

1 minute ago, GSU&UT said:

I really don't buy this BS about him gaining more support or giving him the excuse to wield more despot power if he's impeached and not convicted. If you supposedly believe in our system of institutions and checks and balances then you have a duty to impeach Trump. A god damned member of the Freedom Caucus is letting his nuts hang more than the Democratic leadership.

it's all about defining your goals.

do you want to behave according to what the constitution instructs us to do?

or

do you want to win the next election?

probably two different paths.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

youre from LA.  everyone else is TX.  stick with the ones we are most familiar with:  Cruz, Cornyn, Kennedy, (someone else I can't think of but literally have no doubt about my position so i won't even bother looking up).  Which of those guys is not a Trumpkin?

If Trump dropped dead, do you think they would carry out Trump’s vision for America?  Cage kids and such, go all in on white nationalism? 

I’m not so sure.

If Trump dropped dead, do you think they would carry out Trump’s vision for America?  Cage kids and such, go all in on white nationalism? 

I’m not so sure.

an interesting mind experiment that people can contemplate one day.

however, in the present universe, GOPers are slavishly devoted precisely because of Trump's unique ability to sic his retards on dissenters.  your hypothetical takes the biggest motivator away.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Hugo, just so I can better understand where you're coming from, I'd be really curious to get your probabilities on each of the possible outcomes of starting impeachment.

Impeached by house, acquitted by senate, loses re-election 85%

Impeached by house, acquitted by senate, wins re-election 10%

Impeached by house, convicted by senate 1%

Impeached, Trump resignation 3%

I don’t know what will happen because I don’t know how strong the Democrats will make the impeachment case.  This is the variable everyone conveniently ignores.  How compelling are the hearings?  How many articles of impeachment?  

You cant really predict this shit because we’ve never been through it in this media environment.

I don’t know what will happen because I don’t know how strong the Democrats will make the impeachment case.  This is the variable everyone conveniently ignores.  How compelling are the hearings?  How many articles of impeachment?  

You cant really predict this shit because we’ve never been through it in this media environment.

Jesus monkeyshit.  You live in some alternate world where facts and evidence still matter?  

Here's the 100% truth: there could be video of Trump shooting a man in the face and yelling "I MURDERED HIM!"  The Senate would acquit.  The strength of the case is irrelevant.  The facts and evidence are irrelevant.  The ONLY relevant fact is  "(R) = Trump."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’m not so sure.

If Trump dropped dead, Pence would become president and probably be even worse. 

11 minutes ago, texastough said:

Trump will be destroyed in the 2020 election. Everyone in congress knows this. Unless the R's can save some serious face, they are looking at losing the presidency and the senate, to go with the house. They know this. I think they are maintaining the party line right now to avoid deciding what to do, waiting as long as possible to see what other news comes out and where public opinion is headed. But on the current trajectory, the GOP is fucked. 

I agree they are evil fucks. But if the above is true, it would be in the Senate's best interest to convict, try to claim some moral high ground which gives them a chance to save senate seats and run a candidate for president that has a better chance than Trump. 

Nobody knows this. The 2020 election is still 18 months away. All sorts of shit could happen between now and then. The GOP still controls the majority of state legislatures and is going to dial their voter suppression machine up to 100%. Trump will order Barr to initiate investigations into his opponent and every other prominent Dem. A rough Democratic primary could splinter the base. It could pour in some key cities in swing states on election day. Russia could hack voter rolls.  Nothing is guaranteed.

Think about what happens if the Dems don't impeach and Trump wins. 

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It would be....except that the opposition is full of folks who think like Hugo, and my confidence in the Dems' ability to shoot their own dick clean off is total and complete.

The reason the democrats shoot their own dick off is because they play not to lose.  See also Al Gore, Hillary, John Kerry, and Merrick Garland. 

Wouldn’t want to piss off the mouth breathers.  Don’t want to be too divisive.  They fail to understand America LOVES divisiveness.  Trump has made politics a blood sport and the democrats are afraid to get in the ring and knock his ass out.   They expect the idiot voters to come to their senses and choose your less bad option.  It’s a recipe for failure.  

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Jesus monkeyshit.  You live in some alternate world where facts and evidence still matter?  

Here's the 100% truth: there could be video of Trump shooting a man in the face and yelling "I MURDERED HIM!"  The Senate would acquit.  The strength of the case is irrelevant.  The facts and evidence are irrelevant.  The ONLY relevant fact is  "(R) = Trump."

Yeah, and if that happened and Trump tried to go "THE SENATE EXONERATED ME!" nobody but his base would believe him and the Dems would have the best ammunition they could imagine to make the case to the rest of America that the GOP is wholly irredeemable and corrupt and must be destroyed.

Why don't they want the opportunity to make that case? Because they're pussies. And that's why, even if Trump loses a close election in 2020, the fascist tide will continue to rise. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

GOPers are slavishly devoted precisely because of Trump's unique ability to sic his retards on dissenters

That's a succinct explanation. Trump is Willard but instead of rats he has retards. 

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My sick internal bully hopes the Dems and press continue to poke the bear.  I want to see Trump go nonlinear.

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I kinda like this new tactic by Pelosi.

31dd9806-6372-4a1a-b6bb-db39dc6a38c3_tex

These.  THIS is a good play.  Poke him until he goes too far.*

* Note, this presumes the fantasy of there being a "too far" that he can actually go, which I don't think is the case.  But it's worth a shot.

Holy shit.  He said he can't call Nancy "Crazy Nancy"  NOT because it would sound shrill or sexist or insensitive or because such juvenile taunting is beneath mature adults (let alone the President) but because he already has "Crazy Bernie"  and, apparently, he can't use a stupid pejorative on more than one person. So now he's going to have to strain himself to come up with another juvenile taunt for Nancy.

This is a 70+ year old man, folks.