Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

22 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

There were plenty of Germans that supported Hitler but opposed his hateful rhetoric.  They supported him because they liked his economic policies and renewed sense of German pride.

These people were Nazis.  This is not debatable. 

Are you suggesting these are kinder, gentler Nazis? 

10 minutes ago, NowThis said:

a recession is coming starting this winter, Fed cut the rates, market drops 300+.  Ultimately the economy is God, candidate is meaningless. 

To be fair, the market seems to be reacting to the news that no more rate drops are in the pipeline.  The cynic in me wonders what exactly is the point of a lone 0.25% rate drop, other than to boost the market to make Trump look better, but maybe I'm off base and the geniuses in Washington have this all dialed in.  If that was the plan, they fucked it up just like everything else they touch.

53 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean, if we're being accurate, I need to report a U.S. government property that's infested with vermin.  It's the property at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington D.C.  It's pretty bad.  

I hear many people are saying it's the worst in history. Many people.

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

If you support a racist and refuse to distance yourself from his constant racism, you are a fucking racist....in every sense of the word. At best. cowardly shit stain hypocrite is the best you could say about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exactly this.  you either stand with racists, or against them.  there is no middle ground on this.  if someone votes for, supports, apologizes for, deflects or yeah but's on behalf of Trump, or supports or votes for any other Republican officeholder or candidate at this juncture, well, they are on the wrong side of this one.  period.   sorry if that includes some of y'alls friends and family members and is uncomfortable, but there is no way around it. 

• Like 4

The Gilroy shooter posted a ton of white supremacist alt right shit online. Those deaths and casualties are 100 percent on Trump. 100 percent on Republicans. 100 percent on these politicians who have normalized hate speech and actions and have made it seem normal to be this way. Blood is on his hands and every republican who allows this to continue. 

• Like 1

EA0f8LWXsAAWTaC?format=jpg&name=medium

I feel like if you said to him “hey I don’t think you’re one of the five best quarterbacks in the world Donald”, he’d be like “actually I think that I am one of the five best quarterbacks in the world. A lot of people don’t know that but a lot of people are saying that I am.”
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

If you support a racist and refuse to distance yourself from his constant racism, you are a fucking racist....in every sense of the word. At best. cowardly shit stain hypocrite is the best you could say about them.

That’s a terrible fucking take.  Believe it or not, some voters in this country are just dumb, aren’t paying attention, are caught up in a cultural phenomenon, are caving to peer pressure, are gullible, or whatever and they don’t know, believe, or understand that Trump is racist.  It’s lazy as shit to call everyone who votes for Trump a “racist” and it’s also false.  And most importantly, it’s doomed by psychology to be a HUGE FUCKING STRATEGIC MISTAKE.  What is the upside of calling ALL Trump supporters racists, other than hollow virtue signaling?  I know the downside, and it’s huge: you further divide those voters from any chance they’ll vote for your candidate.  

We get it.  Y’all aren’t racist and you abhor racism.  Guess what?  That’s something you and I have in common with many folks who just might vote for Trump.  Use that common ground to your advantage. 

If you want to defeat Trump and prevent an even worse successor from replacing him in the future (as I do), then you’d be wise to use his racism as a wedge between him and his supporters rather than a way to assign guilt by association.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

No, that’s NOT what I’m saying.  What I’m saying is: they aren’t fucking racist in any meaningful sense of the word.  They do not hold views that any one race is superior to any other.  At least, I’ve never heard them express such views and their personal interactions with non-white people (which I’ve witnessed) further support that they are not racist.

Some of y’all need to get it through your thick skulls that many people support Trump despite his racism.  They may do this for any number of reasons (e.g. they find another policy position of his more important; they are unaware of his behavior; they truly believe the media is lying; they interpret his attacks as personal, rather than an attack against the victim’s race, etc.)

Trump’s racism is a potential wedge issue with many of his voters.  Stop throwing away that advantage by resorting to binary thinking. It’s ironic and counterproductive.  

I don't doubt your sincerity, and I'm open to the possibility that you are right.   But I wonder — do you know how the folks you are talking about feel about increased immigration by Latinos and Arab Muslims?  

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I feel like if you said to him “hey I don’t think you’re one of the five best quarterbacks in the world Donald”, he’d be like “actually I think that I am one of the five best quarterbacks in the world. A lot of people don’t know that but a lot of people are saying that I am.”

Well, hell, it's already been immortalized:

JGAY4KATBFBN3EKCC7KJDLXSTA.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

That’s a terrible fucking take.  Believe it or not, some voters in this country are just dumb, aren’t paying attention, are caught up in a cultural phenomenon, are caving to peer pressure, are gullible, or whatever and they don’t know, believe, or understand that Trump is racist.  It’s lazy as shit to call everyone who votes for Trump a “racist” and it’s also false.  And most importantly, it’s doomed by psychology to be a HUGE FUCKING STRATEGIC MISTAKE.  What is the upside of calling ALL Trump supporters racists, other than hollow virtue signaling?  I know the downside, and it’s huge: you further divide those voters from any chance they’ll vote for your candidate.  
We get it.  Y’all aren’t racist and you abhor racism.  Guess what?  That’s something you and I have in common with many folks who just might vote for Trump.  Use that common ground to your advantage. 
If you want to defeat Trump and prevent an even worse successor from replacing him in the future (as I do), then you’d be wise to use his racism as a wedge between him and his supporters rather than a way to assign guilt by association.  

I agree we have a different view of what constitutes racism. Your plan to not call out those who support a racist candidate because their delicate feelings would be hurt by an insinuation of racism is cute though.

If they are that stupid and clueless they will never be educated. But at least they can be shunned and labeled so their support of racism is called out.

You seem to think that supporting racism is not bad if (fill in examples of why supporting racists is actually not bad). Maybe, calling them out will work. Reason obviously does not.

• Like 1

Just now, Mojo Hand said:

I don't doubt your sincerity, and I'm open to the possibility that you are right.   But I wonder — do you know how the folks you are talking about feel about increased immigration by Latinos and Arab Muslims?  

That’s a mixed bag.  There are certainly some interesting views there, with many underlying rationales involved.  Nativism is not always driven by racism (although it often is).  And a nativist who is not racist is a nativist who can be reasoned out of nativism (or, at least, ethno-specific nativism). 

One more thing to keep in mind: often, apparently racist views are the result of ignorance or insulation.  Those views can often be nullified by humanizing the target group.  My family never met an Indian until my cousin’s wedding.  They had stereotypical views on Indians.  Since then, they can’t stop talking about how great their Indian doctors are and how fun the wedding was, etc.  They actually met some Indians and now view them as human beings.  Introduce these same people to Arabs, Africans, Asians, Jews, etc. and you’d have a similar result.  

Thats what we should be doing.  Humanizing the issue.  Actually working to diminish racism.  Not yelling “THAT’S RACIST!” and feeling good about how liberal and morally superior we are while we drive potentially good people deeper into far right ideology.

3 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I agree we have a different view of what constitutes racism. Your plan to not call out those who support a racist candidate because their delicate feelings would be hurt by an insinuation of racism is cute though.

If they are that stupid and clueless they will never be educated. But at least they can be shunned and labeled so their support of racism is called out.

You seem to think that supporting racism is not bad if (fill in examples of why supporting racists is actually not bad). Maybe, calling them out will work. Reason obviously does not.

You’re clearly a better person than any Trump voter.  You should let them know that.  I’m sure that will inspire them to be more like you.

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

You’re clearly a better person than any Trump voter.  You should let them know that.  I’m sure that will inspire them to be more like you.

The challenging aspect here is that Trump supporters have demonstrated themselves to be not just resistance to facts, but repelled by them.

Telling us to reason with Trump supporters is like telling us to communicate with Sentinalese tribesmen by continuing to speak English to them, but this time, YELL IT.  Facts and reason only piss them off.  It's pretty damned difficult to get over that hump.

• Like 5

Just now, BrickHorn said:

Hey, just to get in on this....  I have relatives who are racist.  They don't think they are, but by any objective measure they absolutely are.  I challenge them EVERY fucking time they say something stupid/racist.  Do I still love them, sure.  Are they good people (to me yes) but ultimately NO.   If you don't confront them they will never change and they may never change anyway.  I'm just not going to sit by and accept it.  I try to get them to see that they are wrong.   That's the burden of family or one of them.

And I should note: I don’t give a shit about hurting Trump voters’ feelings, except for one little thing.  If a democrat hurts their feelings, they are unlikely to vote for a democrat.  Since my primary goal is to get as many people as possible voting against Trump, then I tend to think hurting their feelings is a bad idea.

NOT because I care about their feelings.  I just want their votes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

The challenging aspect here is that Trump supporters have demonstrated themselves to be not just resistance to facts, but repelled by them.

Telling us to reason with Trump supporters is like telling us to communicate with Sentinalese tribesmen by continuing to speak English to them, but this time, YELL IT.  Facts and reason only piss them off.  It's pretty damned difficult to get over that hump.

Yeah, yeah.  You gave up hope long ago.  Stay curled up on the floor.  Some of us are trying to prevent the civil war you think is inevitable.  

2 minutes ago, Loco said:

Hey, just to get in on this....  I have relatives who are racist.  They don't think they are, but by any objective measure they absolutely are.  I challenge them EVERY fucking time they say something stupid/racist.  Do I still love them, sure.  Are they good people (to me yes) but ultimately NO.   If you don't confront them they will never change and they may never change anyway.  I'm just not going to sit by and accept it.  I try to get them to see that they are wrong.   That's the burden of family or one of them.

I challenge them.  I just do it by saying “I know you don’t agree with Trump when he says [insert racist shit here]” instead of “YOURE A FUCKING RACIST!!!”  The former approach at least hasn’t a chance of changing minds. 

Just now, BrickHorn said:

Yeah, yeah.  You gave up hope long ago.  Stay curled up on the floor.  Some of us are trying to prevent the civil war you think is inevitable.  

Oh, we should try to prevent it.  I just think our efforts are better spent on 1) doing all we can to increase turnout among folks who oppose Trump, 2) fighting voter suppression and disenfranchisement efforts, 3) lobbying the handful of undecided voters out there, and 4) doing all we can to diminish the enthusiasm of Trump voters, so some of them stay home on election day.

• Like 1

This sums up the core base of Republicans/Trump supporters. Any, and I mean any fact you present to a Trump supporter that even hints at painting a negative view of Trump is immediately pushed aside as "fake news". There is absolutely no meeting in the middle.

This is the pinnacle of winning politically for a lot of Rs, both voters and pols. 30 years in the making.

"We have a guy in the WH who will do what he pleases, and he does not respond to criticism. This is the one we've been waiting for. If we disavow his statements and beliefs or vote against him, we may never get to this place again."

18 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

That’s a mixed bag.  There are certainly some interesting views there, with many underlying rationales involved.  Nativism is not always driven by racism (although it often is).  And a nativist who is not racist is a nativist who can be reasoned out of nativism (or, at least, ethno-specific nativism). 

One more thing to keep in mind: often, apparently racist views are the result of ignorance or insulation.  Those views can often be nullified by humanizing the target group.  My family never met an Indian until my cousin’s wedding.  They had stereotypical views on Indians.  Since then, they can’t stop talking about how great their Indian doctors are and how fun the wedding was, etc.  They actually met some Indians and now view them as human beings.  Introduce these same people to Arabs, Africans, Asians, Jews, etc. and you’d have a similar result.  

Thats what we should be doing.  Humanizing the issue.  Actually working to diminish racism.  Not yelling “THAT’S RACIST!” and feeling good about how liberal and morally superior we are while we drive potentially good people deeper into far right ideology.

So . . . then your family is racist.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I don't think I disagree with any of that, in general.  It just seems to me that it's something better done outside of the election process by public interest groups and by cultural efforts like getting greater minority representation in various walks of life.   I don't see how you fundamentally change people like that through a political campaign.   The best I think you can do is offer a positive alternative vision and hope some of them gravitate towards it. 

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And good luck to you.

I fucking loathe them too much to even try.  I think they are a lost cause.  But go for it.

Well I’ll put it this way: calling every Trump voter a racist acts against your category (4).  So whether we actively try to recruit Trump voters or not, we shouldn’t be firing them up for Nov 2020 by insulting them.  It’s like poking a rattlesnake.  There’s no good reason to do it.

That said, there are plenty of open and avowed racists in the Trump camp.  We should not hesitate to call them what they are.  My point is that we should not apply that same label indiscriminately and on the sole basis that someone voted for Trump. 

Just now, Mojo Hand said:

I don't think I disagree with any of that, in general.  It just seems to me that it's something better done outside of the election process by public interest groups and by cultural efforts like getting greater minority representation in various walks of life.   I don't see how you fundamentally change people like that through a political campaign.   The best I think you can do is offer a positive alternative vision and hope some of them gravitate towards it. 

I agree.  One idea I’ve batted around is founding a new kind of fraternal organization.  Something specifically designed to bring people from different walks of life, socioeconomic backgrounds, and ethnicities together to drink beer and talk about anything but politics.  Not sure how to make something like that happen, but modern America is sorely lacking a sense of community that transcends salary bracket.

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Fuck off.

You literally said you have to humanize entire races/ethnicities of people so that your family won't view them as stereotypical.  It took meeting them for your family to "view them as human beings."  They are fucking racist and you're just too weak to accept that fact.  Neg me all you want, pussy, but you're a coward who won't accept that you have racists in your family.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

You literally said you have to humanize entire races/ethnicities of people so that your family won't view them as stereotypical.  It took meeting them for your family to "view them as human beings."  They are fucking racist and you're just too weak to accept that fact.  Neg me all you want, pussy, but you're a coward who won't accept that you have racists in your family.  

I’m sure I do have racists in my family.  But not everyone who has some stereotypes of ethnic groups they are unfamiliar with is a racist in any meaningful sense of the word.  

But please continue with your binary thinking.  Which is certainly not the EXACT SAME lazy-ass mental flaw that causes racism in the first place.  

Edited by BrickHorn

6 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I agree.  One idea I’ve batted around is founding a new kind of fraternal organization.  Something specifically designed to bring people from different walks of life, socioeconomic backgrounds, and ethnicities together to drink beer and talk about anything but politics.  Not sure how to make something like that happen, but modern America is sorely lacking a sense of community that transcends salary bracket.

The one thing I can't get around on this issue is the treatment of kids at the border, particularly the child separations.   How can anyone accept all of that without either being a sociopath or viewing Latinos as inherently inferior human beings whose lives don't matter as much?   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

The one thing I can't get around on this issue is the treatment of kids at the border, particularly the child separations.   How can anyone accept all of that without either being a sociopath or viewing Latinos as inherently inferior human beings whose lives don't matter as much?   

Well, you see.  They haven't met any Latinos, so they don't yet view them as human beings.  But that's not racist in any meaningful sense of the word.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Do they not have bars where you live?

You just described a bar.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

They ignore it.  Dismiss it as fake news.  Their brains do what they have to do to defend them from facing the consequences of what they support.

It’s the same thing Germans did under Hitler.  Maybe that means all Germans are capable of evil.  But unless you’re a racist (and I know you’re not), then you’ll agree there’s nothing different about Germans that makes them any more evil than any other ethnic group.  Which means that if Germans are all capable of evil, so are we.  

And that raises a question: how do you prevent evil from dominating in a world full of people capable of evil?  You have to prevent critical mass.  And you do that by working to maintain a commonly-held sense of decency and community, and to prevent divisiveness from driving an Us vs Them split.  

We don’t win this if 50% side with Trumpism.  We win by pushing that number down into the 40s or 30s by appealing to common principles, and THEN you use shaming and public outcry to dissuade the Trumpist minority from expressing its shitty views.

Edited by BrickHorn

13 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

They ignore it.  Dismiss it as fake news.  Their brains do what they have to do to defend them from facing the consequences of what they support.

[McConaughey]Ask yourself this: would they ignore it and dismiss it as fake news if it were happening to white kids?[/McConaughey]

42 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I just troll Trump supporters IRL with statements like, “you know Trump is secretly for open borders? He’s also a big tax and spend democrat with the tariffs and the trillion dollar deficits.  I can’t believe you voted for that guy.”

This is actually probably a really effective tactic.  At least to get them thinking outside of their fake news bubble and actually questioning something.  

But probably not though.

52 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

And I should note: I don’t give a shit about hurting Trump voters’ feelings, except for one little thing.  If a democrat hurts their feelings, they are unlikely to vote for a democrat.  Since my primary goal is to get as many people as possible voting against Trump, then I tend to think hurting their feelings is a bad idea.

NOT because I care about their feelings.  I just want their votes.

If they still support Trump today then you're not going to get their votes. And they might be racist. They're at least racist tolerant. Do you ever talk to them about the subject?

When they recount a story involving a black person, do they mention that it was a black person when the color of their skin bears no relevance to the story? If so then they're a little bit racist. It's simple discrimination. They don't see a person, they see a black person. Racism can be pretty subtle. 

34 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I’m sure I do have racists in my family.  But not everyone who has some stereotypes of ethnic groups they are unfamiliar with is a racist in any meaningful sense of the word.  

But please continue with your binary thinking.  Which is certainly not the EXACT SAME lazy-ass mental flaw that causes racism in the first place.  

Define "meaningful sense of the word" when it comes to any degree of personal racism and supporting this racist shitbag of a president. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If they still support Trump today then you're not going to get their votes. And they might be racist. They're at least racist tolerant. Do you ever talk to them about the subject?

When they recount a story involving a black person, do they mention that it was a black person when the color of their skin bears no relevance to the story? If so then they're a little bit racist. It's simple discrimination. They don't see a person, they see a black person. Racism can be pretty subtle. 

We can certainly go around, flipping over rocks looking for racists to point and scream at.  Or we can put our effort into convincing people to side with us, on the theory that not everyone who’s ever said something that could be construed as racist is interested in hurting people from other races.  

I tend to think that’s true, but I also believe in the complexity of human beings.  None of us are perfect.  We have all made mistakes, and many of us have grown into better people because we were given a chance to do so despite erring at one point or another.  In fact, those forgiven errors can be some of the most powerful forces for positive change in any person’s life.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

I tend to think that’s true, but I also believe in the complexity of human beings.  None of us are perfect.  We have all made mistakes, and many of us have grown into better people because we were given a chance to do so despite erring at one point or another.  In fact, those forgiven errors can be some of the most powerful forces for positive change in any person’s life.

I think you are probably right here, however the bold is what gives me pause.  These people have been given every chance over the last 3 years to realize the error of their ways and grow.  Every single day they are bombarded by this president's horrid behavior.  It's literally everywhere. They are choosing not to acknowledge it.  

What's the saying?  I can explain it to them, but I can't understand it for them?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think you are probably right here, however the bold is what gives me pause.  These people have been given every chance over the last 3 years to realize the error of their ways and grow.  Every single day they are bombarded by this president's horrid behavior.  It's literally everywhere. They are choosing not to acknowledge it.  

What's the saying?  I can explain it to them, but I can't understand it for them?

You raise a good point.  My response is this: we haven’t been correcting them the right way.  Scolding and condescension is our language, but it’s ineffective.  There are more persuasive approaches that involve first building common ground.  See for example the black musician who has had a ton of success befriending white supremacists and ultimately convincing them to leave the racist movement.  He didn’t do that by standing on the street corner yelling “RACIST!” at passing skinheads.  

• Like 1