Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

56 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I just troll Trump supporters IRL with statements like, “you know Trump is secretly for open borders? He’s also a big tax and spend democrat with the tariffs and the trillion dollar deficits.  I can’t believe you voted for that guy.”

Troll the religious folks with “he has been married multiple times, he was a democrat for a long time, he was friends with the Clintons, he’s cheated on multiple wives, he does not believe in forgiveness, he takes the Lord’s name in vain at public rallies, he can’t quote the Bible AND he doesn’t even understand how Bible verses work, he openly brags about committing adultery, his daughter and son-in-law are liberals, most of the time he marries foreigners” and so on.   

One of those usually hits a nerve, and they refuse to defend it.  

• Like 3

I'm making no judgments about BrickHorn's family or any other person I don't know with this post.  A lot of what people are objecting to when they object to being called racist is just the term itself.  Strangely, it's similar to someone saying, "I'm not a feminist. I just think women should have equal rights." or "I'm not an environmentalist. i just think we should have clean air and water."  They see racist as a negative label but have absolutely no problem whatsoever with the tenants of racism.  Here's a literal hood wearing klansman denying that he's a racist but arguing for racism.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

With a bit of Jerry Lee Lewis thrown in.  At least Trump married outside of his family though.

I attended the university that Jerry Lee Lewis was expelled from. Had a class in the old chapel area where he played rock n' roll on the piano. Doing that got him thrown out. He did get them to not expel the RA that was there apparently when he did it. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I just troll Trump supporters IRL with statements like, “you know Trump is secretly for open borders? He’s also a big tax and spend democrat with the tariffs and the trillion dollar deficits.  I can’t believe you voted for that guy.”

I am going to enjoy playing this game. +rep Hugo

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Troll the religious folks with “he has been married multiple times, he was a democrat for a long time, he was friends with the Clintons, he’s cheated on multiple wives, he does not believe in forgiveness, he takes the Lord’s name in vain at public rallies, he can’t quote the Bible AND he doesn’t even understand how Bible verses work, he openly brags about committing adultery, his daughter and son-in-law are liberals, most of the time he marries foreigners” and so on.   

One of those usually hits a nerve, and they refuse to defend it.  

Keep'em coming!

20 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, I have family exactly like yours.  I don't believe them to be "racist" as any of us would normally define it.  But, they are a little too willing to hand-wave away that part of Trump's persona.  For that, I am suspicious.  Bigotry can be subtle or overt, it can be expressed or suppressed.  I have thought long and hard about my Aunt and her kids and the ease with which they support this guy, and I don't like where the trail of crumbs leads me.  Am I calling them "racists"?  No, and I didn't say that in my post, either.  It does give me pause, though.

I have family members who are not overtly racist who voted for Dotard. I have some, including one who married an Hispanic woman and has three kids with her, that is a fucking racist.

If you voted for Dotard and are planning on voting for Dotard again, all the while knowing he is a racist because the words out of his fat fucking mouth are racist, you are a racist. There is no wiggle room here. I feel bad that the majority of my family has fallen in line with this cult, but it is what it is and they are racists and I will never associate with them again until they change. I thank God my mother is not one of them and will vote Democrat again like she always does. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 3

This is a UT Tyler poll, so I don't hold a lot of confidence in its exact results. It does appear to indicate, however, Texas may well be up for grabs next year in a general sense.

New Poll Of Texas Voters Shows Several Democrats Have An Edge Over Donald Tump

https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/news-roundup-new-poll-of-texas-voters-shows-several-democrats-have-an-edge-over-donald-tump/

A new poll records Texans’ take on a variety of issues in the lead-up to the 2020 elections – including, of course, who should be president. According to the poll, President Donald Trump trails most of his Democratic challengers in head-to-head contests within the state. 

The University of Texas at Tyler surveyed roughly 1,400 registered voters in the state. The margin of error for the poll is plus or minus 2.6 percentage points. 

Mark Owens is an assistant professor of political science at UT-Tyler. He says Sens. Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders enjoy slight leads over Trump. 

“What we did find though was a significant advantage for Beto O’Rourke in Texas, against Donald Trump, among the registered voters in the state.” Owens says.

The former El Paso Congressman has a 10-point lead over Trump in a matchup between the two in Texas. Of the candidates poll participants were asked about, the only two Democrats Trump beats are former Vice President Joe Biden and South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg. 

The poll also asked about the U.S. Senate race in Texas – and the jury is out on the state’s senior Senator, John Cornyn. While one-fourth of respondents approve of Cornyn’s performance and 27% disapprove, another 48% replied, they “don’t know.” 

Owens says based on these responses, it’s too early to draw conclusions about the possible outcome of this contest. 

“We really, we see a lot of candidates entering the race on the Democratic side,” Owens says. “I think it’s because they see there are a number of voters that are still looking for an option. But in this case Senator Cornyn hasn’t really begun campaigning in earnest and this gives a sense of the electorate not yet paying attention to this race.”

Sen. Cornyn did enjoy a higher rate of support among Republican voters. Nearly 43% approve of the job he’s doing as U.S. Senator.

There’s a real cultural divide between the nation’s urban centers and the vast fly-over country.  I see it up close and personal every time I visit my family in the midwest. These folks wear flag-based attire year round.  They play bunko.  They buy Precious Moments figurines without ironic intent.  They vacation in Branson. They eat at Golden Corral, for Christ’s sake.  And they fucking love them some Trump.  
Trump has somehow branded himself as the Messiah of the Midwest.  He’s more of a bumpkin trend than a thought leader.  But who needs quality when you’ve got rabid brand loyalty?  
It’s fucking sad, and those visits always leave me hopeless for our country.  Bannon was right. At this moment, politics follows culture.  And Trump worship is a badge of cultural orthodoxy in the American Midwest. 
My reverse bucket list includes never vacationing in Branson.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

There were plenty of Germans that supported Hitler but opposed his hateful rhetoric.  They supported him because they liked his economic policies and renewed sense of German pride.

These people were Nazis.  This is not debatable. 

Half of my family is German. My Oma was barely six years old when that asshole became chancellor. She turned 18 as Germany was being destroyed on all sides. I still have no idea where they stood on Hitler because I have never met any of her family because she died from Ovarian cancer when I was 10. I would hope they opposed Hitler, but I do not know. All I know for certain is my great uncle was in the Wehrmacht from the invasion of Poland until he died invading Stalingrad and a Russian plane took out his half-trac. My Oma's dad fought the entirety of the Great War for Kaiser Wilhelm. He was a Prussian military man from what I gather.

I would say if I ever found out they supported Hitler that they were Nazis. I would be sad, but they would be who they were. They would be the same as these assholes who support Dotard. You support Dotard you are a racist. You supported Hitler you are a Nazi. It is that simple. 

Edited by UpperWestside

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think you are probably right here, however the bold is what gives me pause.  These people have been given every chance over the last 3 years to realize the error of their ways and grow.  Every single day they are bombarded by this president's horrid behavior.  It's literally everywhere. They are choosing not to acknowledge it. 

This isn't necessarily true.  Huge swaths of these people listen to nothing but FOX News and Rush Limbaugh.  They are NOT being exposed to the President's horrid behavior.  They really aren't.  A great deal of his spew never makes it to broadcast, just the editorializing around that spew.  

I'm not excusing someone for being a willful idiot who chooses not to sample any information outside their bubble.  I'm just saying it's pretty common for people to get a highly whitewashed (ahem) version of reality.

• Like 1

If they still support Trump today then you're not going to get their votes. And they might be racist. They're at least racist tolerant. Do you ever talk to them about the subject?
When they recount a story involving a black person, do they mention that it was a black person when the color of their skin bears no relevance to the story? If so then they're a little bit racist. It's simple discrimination. They don't see a person, they see a black person. Racism can be pretty subtle. 
Largely agree based on the Trump voters I know. At the very least they don't travel much, are somewhat provincial and uniformed. I'm in my 40s and I grew up with distant family members dropping n bombs casually or rag head type stuff. And cousins slightly older than me are/ were even worse. They don't want to go back to Lynching and fire hoses, but they sure as fuck parrot the welfare queen, illegals causing a tax drain, why can't I say Oriental anymore narratives. They love stories of bad shit happening to tourist in brown or liberal places. And liberalism gone to far. They love it.
We have a long way to go.

Its impossible to talk politics with most Trump voters. It devolves to libtard or but Hillary. Regardless of tact.

That said the urge to scream down someone as a racist, should be a politically measured one. It's a slow evolution forward. Consider how LBJ would be viewed today, yet he was a giant leap forward over Wallace.
Reparations is politically a bad issue to press on as well.

Appeal to morality. Focus on the economy. Focus on the safety of having stable leadership. Conservatives are hard wired to fear change and anything unforeseen threats they can imagine.
Having stable, qualified cabinet and staff should be a larger issue.
Being strong on NATO and not in bed with the Saudis and Russis should be less partisan as well.
Getting Corporations out of politics as well.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

This isn't necessarily true.  Huge swaths of these people listen to nothing but FOX News and Rush Limbaugh.  They are NOT being exposed to the President's horrid behavior.  They really aren't.  A great deal of his spew never makes it to broadcast, just the editorializing around that spew.  
I'm not excusing someone for being a willful idiot who chooses not to sample any information outside their bubble.  I'm just saying it's pretty common for people to get a highly whitewashed (ahem) version of reality.
Very true.

I get a lot of " I'm burned out on politics" from Trump voters.

Granted they weren't when Obama went golfing or his teleprompter glitched.

But it's a totally different bubble

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have family members who are not overtly racist who voted for Dotard. I have some, including one who married an Hispanic woman and has three kids with her, that is a fucking racist.
If you voted for Dotard and are planning on voting for Dotard again, all the while knowing he is a racist because the words out of his fat fucking mouth are racist, you are a racist. There is no wiggle room here. I feel bad that the majority of my family has fallen in line with this cult, but it is what it is and they are racists and I will never associate with them again until they change. I thank God my mother is not one of them and will vote Democrat again like she always does. 
I'm seeing this with a friend as well. He claims that Trump isn't racist, and he should know because he (the friend) is Hispanic...

but don't get him started on black people.

Just now, tchookem said:

I'm seeing this with a friend as well. He claims that Trump isn't racist, and he should know because he (the friend) is Hispanic...

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh (and I needed a laugh).

2 minutes ago, tchookem said:

You have to tell him what he is. It might not be fun, but your friend has to know they are a racist. It is that simple. Somewhat odd, but a racist nonetheless.

Edited by UpperWestside

You have to tell him what he is. It might not be fun, but your friend has to know they are a racist. It is that simple. Somewhat odd, but a racist nonetheless.
Oh, he knows he's a closet racist (bigot is probably more accurate). I think it's interesting that supporting Trump might actually pull him out of that closet. He's full on Trump Culture War. There isn't much hope for him.

4 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

We can certainly go around, flipping over rocks looking for racists to point and scream at.  Or we can put our effort into convincing people to side with us, on the theory that not everyone who’s ever said something that could be construed as racist is interested in hurting people from other races.  

I tend to think that’s true, but I also believe in the complexity of human beings.  None of us are perfect.  We have all made mistakes, and many of us have grown into better people because we were given a chance to do so despite erring at one point or another.  In fact, those forgiven errors can be some of the most powerful forces for positive change in any person’s life.

Great post!  By the way, it is wimpy thinking in the age of super egos, but some of us still make mistakes.  And...some have the individual integrity to admit it.

1 minute ago, mchookem said:

he ENDED it? like...wtf, come on man

He never has to answer for his lies. If I were Donald, I'd tell the fucking rubes that not only did I end it, I reunited every separated child with their parents and fixed their home country so they can live in peace. There's more Donald portraits hanging over fireplace mantels in all those Mexican countries than there are in Merica. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

He never has to answer for his lies. If I were Donald, I'd tell the fucking rubes that not only did I end it, I reunited every separated child with their parents and fixed their home country so they can live in peace. There's more Donald portraits hanging over fireplace mantels in all those Mexican countries than there are in Merica. 

Pretty much this.  In addition, if I were Donald, I'd probably add the Mexican government reimbursed the US Treasury for any fees associated with reunification, the care/feeding/housing of the children while they were separated, and transportation back to Mexico aboard commercial aircraft.

I mean, the true believers will believe anything, so he might as well just stick in more than the tip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Is it wrong I was rooting for the cop to light her up again?

Is it wrong that a Trumpkin relative (older white female) posted this video on her Facebook feed and expressed outrage, and I posted “She had Trump bumper stickers, and I heard that cop targeted her for being a Trump supporter.  Why else would he pull a gun, and later taze  her over a tail light?”

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If she was black, this ends far differently.   

not sure which implication is made here, but i would assume, out of self-preservation, any black woman would get out of the car and put her hands behind her back, even while yelling and swearing at the cop.  years of systemic racism and police bullshit unfortunately scares the sense into most self-aware individuals.

this dumb hick deserved to get tased half a dozen times.

On 7/30/2019 at 6:44 PM, BrickHorn said:

That’s not it.  At least, that’s not the case for a large chunk of these folks.  The Trumpers in my family have your garden variety rural prejudices, but they’re far from white supremacists and are very open and loving to several non-white in-laws. They’re not racists. 

It’s hard to explain, but Trump has become just another cheap knickknack in the pantheon of tacky midwestern culture.  He’s the new Fat Elvis.  

Racial animus tends to manifest itself at the expense of a group of "others" rather than individuals who are "others". Every racists  has some "other" that they're close to (coworker, childhood caretaker, hired help) but they project their racial animus onto the greater group, not the individuals they know. In fact, their love for those individual "others" functions as a buffer and helps to comfort them and actually emboldens their denial of their overall racist beliefs. This sort of dissonance is why it's so much easier to dehumanize a group of people rather than specific individuals. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

not sure which implication is made here, but i would assume, out of self-preservation, any black woman would get out of the car and put her hands behind her back, even while yelling and swearing at the cop.  years of systemic racism and police bullshit unfortunately scares the sense into most self-aware individuals.

this dumb hick deserved to get tased half a dozen times.

Yeah, I'm almost always on the opposite side of the cop.  In this case, the tasing was quite enjoyable.  It would've been delicious, had the cop been black.  

12 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

A white, female Trumpkin friend of mine will only go so far as calling Trump "unsavory." That has now become a running joke at happy hour, BTW. Friends are dropping "unsavory" every chance they get. And it's working. Last Friday after someone talked about the recent unsavory shootings happening in downtown Austin she said "screw you assholes" and walked out on in a tiff. If you're gonna suck that orange Cheeto's cock don't act shocked when people call you out for having cheese dust on your lips and hands.

I have it on good authority that Cheetos are quite savory.

8 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I continue to root for more lunacy.  It won't change any votes, but at least I get to laugh.

I love how this man who displays no empathy for others whatsoever tries to manufacture a connection with his audience (not to mention what he thinks is an air of intelligence) using stupid phrases like "incredible names, incredible names".  A fourth-grader would get downgraded for that alone on an oral book report, and yet our President thinks he's the smartest guy in every room.