Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Those kids in the 16-22 range would have also heard their parents/grandparents/relatives bitching about medical costs, Social Security, jobs, etc. and they would look at the rich guy in the White House, on twitter basically waging war on a chunk of America, and in particular the poors, but plenty of others, and clearly favoring the rich.

So then they take a look at the Ds, and the Ds are out there saying "we want you to have healthcare and social security" and "we need to build a future for our kids" and so on, and it sounds a helluva lot better than some 70 year-old on the shitter ranting about some mostly-black city.

They may lack real-world experience, but they can definitely differentiate between Trump and Mitch's doings, and what the Ds are wanting to do.

work climate change into your stump and i think you're there.

the deficit is an issue affecting future generations, but most don't really understand how and why.  they understand global warming.

43 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Dubya being a useful idiot to give others cover for their nefarious machinations is another way in which he foreshadowed this presidency. He's a decent human compared to Trump. That's a pretty low hurdle. He's a rich frat boy douchebag who failed upwards his entire life. He mocked a woman on death row. He's the sort of friend who would've hit on your girlfriend when you weren't around. 

Karla Faye Tucker, to this day I am disgusted by that execution. She was executed for political gain and nothing more.

Yeah Trump is a greasy turd that smells like a dead goat thats been fermenting in Mangino's ass all summer but Bush was a fucking butcher. Hundreds of thousands of people were killed or maimed because of his political ambitions. Fuck, fuck, fuck that guy.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

There are plenty of people on this board who were young R’s that started changing teams around the time the R’s completely sold out to the religious right and completely changed teams in the last 5 years.

I was a pretty solid Republican up until the time Sarah Palin was nominated to become V.P.

Then came the Tea Party. Then came Donald Trump.

• Like 4

I was a pretty solid Republican up until the time Sarah Palin was nominated to become V.P.

I couldn’t fathom what had just happened. PALIN?!? Really?!?

I’m still embarrassed that I pulled the lever for that ticket.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I wish I were as optimistic as you, but man....I just can't be.

Besides, whoever the Dems will nominate will fuck it up.  They can run every ad during Fox News primetime hour showing how many coal mines closed during Trump's presidency (68, I believe to date), show pictures of him with a 14 year old supplied by Epstein, wave about a rape test kit finding Trump's DNA, show copies of his tax returns, whatever.  Team D will try to talk policy and details and nuance in an attempt to counter whatever slogan Trump & Co. has came up with, and that's not how to beat a bully's ass.  His support will not decrease, and in November 20, everyone will be banking on an electorate that historically just doesn't show up at the polls as the only salvation the country has.  And this same electorate has had an additional 2+ years (in some states) of measures placed upon them in an attempt to actively dissuade them from voting.

Damn, I want to be wrong, and maybe I will, but Brisket's ledge looks pretty good.

It made me sick to rep this post. I never predict the outcome of elections. You nicely name the variables why I don't.

We should all be banging pots like the Puerto Ricans and the Chileans before them. Every night, 90% of the US population should be outside raising hell.

We don't have the stuff for preserving democracy. 

peter-finch.jpg

We know things are bad – worse than bad. They’re crazy. It’s like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don’t go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is: ‘Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won’t say anything. Just leave us alone.’

Edit to add: Network and A Face In the Crowd are perfect movies anticipating where we are.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 3

Young Rs hate their crazy grandpa or uncle ranting in all caps on the internet just as much as the Indies and Ds.

They may be embarrassed, but they don’t disagree. They only care about the presentation. And some think it’s cute in a “lion in winter” kind of way.

Team D will try to talk policy and details and nuance in an attempt to counter whatever slogan Trump & Co. has came up with, and that's not how to beat a bully's ass. 

21 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It made me sick to rep this post. I never predict the outcome of elections. You nicely name the variables why I don't.

We should all be banging pots like the Puerto Ricans and the Chileans before them. 

Besides the Russian meddling, he'll lie all day and every day like he's doing in this Q&A that he's doing on the WH lawn. Doing the most for African Americans that any president has ever done! 

He'll demagogue the D nominee with his 5th grade rhetoric, and voters will eat it up.

Edited by retread
  • Like 1

Donald needs to update his standard fairy tale about people walking up to him.

We're doing great things. Great things. I'm told the greatest things ever done by a president. A man came up to me. I was reading the latest Nielsen Ratings to see how low Fake News ratings were. I don't have time to watch TV, but I like to follow the ratings. I like to hum Zippity Doo-Dah while I'm checking the ratings.

Anyway, this big strong guy, muscles, tattoos, very manly. Tough guy. He comes up to me with tears streaming down his cheeks. "Mr. President, sir, I love what you're doing for America, sir. We're finally great again, your highness.

Fake news never talks about this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Donald needs to update his standard fairy tale about people walking up to him.

We're doing great things. Great things. I'm told the greatest things ever done by a president. A man came up to me. I was reading the latest Nielsen Ratings to see how low Fake News ratings were. I don't have time to watch TV, but I like to follow the ratings. I like to hum Zippity Doo-Dah while I'm checking the ratings.

Anyway, this big strong guy, muscles, tattoos, very manly. Tough guy. He comes up to me with tears streaming down his cheeks. "Mr. President, sir, I love what you're doing for America, sir. We're finally great again, your highness.

Fake news never talks about this.

Is this real life, or is this parody?  I can't tell anymore.

7 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Okay, so I probably should know this, but what's Trump's deal with Cummings?  A tweet here or there is to be expected, but this is entering Hillary/Mueller levels of obsession for him.

He heads the House Oversight Committee. And also

https://time.com/5637924/elijah-cummings-trump-oversight/

Cummings’ most recent move, which he announced last week, was his committee’s approval of subpoenas for emails and texts that high level White House officials had sent on their personal accounts discussing official business. It is clear based on past evidence that the subpoenas could apply to Kushner and the President’s daughter Ivanka.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Okay, so I probably should know this, but what's Trump's deal with Cummings?  A tweet here or there is to be expected, but this is entering Hillary/Mueller levels of obsession for him.

Because Cummings has the audacity to investigate Dear Leader and his family’s corruption. Oh, and he’s black. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TornACL said:

All he does all day long is watch television. 

He's like my kids on summer break. Except my 16 year old got a job and my son has chores he has to do before I get home. I don't think Trump is doing his daily chores or is working.

26 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Does anyone else get the feeling that once Trump is out of office, he'll hand Putin a dollar?  

tenor.gif

"You were right Vlad, half of America is fucking stupid as shit" - Trump

It won't be Trump playing Mortimer though.  Trump is Reggie.

1 minute ago, retread said:

He also said (again) this morning that China is paying for the tariffs and that he's giving the money to the farmers. The farmers love me.

Of his bazillion lies, this is one of the most egregious.  Though I think he actually believes it, since he doesn't seem to understand how tariffs work.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Of his bazillion lies, this is one of the most egregious.  Though I think he actually believes it, since he doesn't seem to understand how tariffs work.

He absolutely believes it.  He's been consistently pro tariff his whole life.  Remember back when you were in high school and somebody would say "We should make that here, let's put a tariff on Honda's so people will buy Chevy's and save jobs!" and it sorta made sense? Then you went to college and took Macroeconomics 101 and had the "Oh, duh, that's why tariffs are stupid!" moment? 

Trump is that guy in high school.  He never grew out of that phase and he's too stupid to learn.  Unfortunately, a bunch of cold war era laws meant to give the president the ability to fight the communists via trade sanctions if necessary have been perverted by the WH.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 5

40 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

It's subpoena for emails which includes Kushner/Ivanka per above, but also because Cummings is onto the purpose of the second 2016 Trump Tower meeting - the one with Don Jr., Kushner, MBS, MBZ, pedo George Nader, Joel Zamel, and Erik Prince.  

cross-posted from Mueller thread

VVV

i.e., Russia wasn't the only one involved in bankrolling and organizing the manipulation of the 2016 election attack for agreed upon acts in return.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bookman said:

Same voted for W twice and I still err on the side of smaller government / more personal freedom, but I have been a pretty reliable D voter every since Fox News/Palin/Tea Party hi jacked the party with anti-intellectualism and regressive social policies. 

Now my fiscal conservatism has hardened my enthusiasm for Democrats as they leave smaller deficits than their Republican counterparts over the last three decades. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

We should all be banging pots like the Puerto Ricans and the Chileans before them. Every night, 90% of the US population should be outside raising hell.

We don't have the stuff for preserving democracy. 

peter-finch.jpg

Edit to add: Network and A Face In the Crowd are perfect movies anticipating where we are.

I've had some longer flights this week, so I've been rewatching Ken Burns' "The Civil War" This quote from Lincoln from 1838 caught my attention.

At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide." - A. Lincoln

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

He absolutely believes it.  He's been consistently pro tariff his whole life.  Remember back when you were in high school and somebody would say "We should make that here, let's put a tariff on Honda's so people will buy Chevy's and save jobs!" and it sorta made sense? Then you went to college and took Macroeconomics 101 and had the "Oh, duh, that's why tariffs are stupid!" moment? 

Trump is that guy in high school.  He never grew out of that phase and he's too stupid to learn.  Unfortunately, a bunch of cold war era laws meant to give the president the ability to fight the communists via trade sanctions if necessary have been perverted by the WH.

You think he understood anything in Macroeconomics 101?  I struggled with Economics in college but I know I have a hard time with Economics so I defer to experts in the field and would never try to act like I know better. Although Tariffs being stupid is fairly easy concept to understand.

• Like 1

I was even on board with the Tea Party when they were protesting bailouts... then the racists took over, and the Ted Cruzes embraced them.

2 minutes ago, sachick said:

You think he understood anything in Macroeconomics 101?  I struggled with Economics in college but I know I have a hard time with Economics so I defer to experts in the field and would never try to act like I know better. Although Tariffs being stupid is fairly easy concept to understand.

Of course not. But the economics of free trade are one of the easier concepts.  It's not like trying to quantify regulatory effects in micro or anything.

4 minutes ago, sachick said:

Remember when he was going to gather experts from every field into his administration. Peak efficiency. Turns out his dumbass makes all the decisions, and he fires anybody who doesn't kiss the ring.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Rural kids, red state small town kids- hell I see Maga Hat kids in west Austin. They are raised red and stay that way. Shitty Schools, De Facto segregation etc. Senate is a long way from being in play. Potus is at best a coin flip. GOP dead cat bounce is going to take awhile.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

That doesn't seem to be the overall picture.  The yoots are going to save us.  It's not same old same old any more.  The sheer size of Millennials and Gen Zs swamp the differences in voter participation rates of the olds.  Young people hate R, there are a ton of young people, and suddenly they actually vote.

historical_house_vote_choice_3.jpg

Among 18- to 29-year-olds, voter turnout went from 20 percent in 2014 to 36 percent in 2018, the largest percentage point increase for any age group — a 79 percent jump.

FT_19.05.23_GenerationsVoting_Millennial

Following the trend lines here (midterms, but whatev), I wouldn't be surprised if Gen X on down outdoes the olds by 10MM votes in 2020.

FT_19.05.23_GenerationsVoting_Youngergen

• Like 1

Aside from skin color, drumpf will never be able to relate to people like Elijah Cummings. Elijah Cummings is a warrior and a hardcore American. Americans with a proven history of sacrifice and a fighting spirit and clear, undeniable displays of bravery in their past is something that terrifies fat Donny. Even when those people aren't issuing subpoenas for his polluted ilk, their mere existence in juxtaposition to his history of cowardice is a threat to him. Elite business leaders who lack the decency to pretend that Captain Bankruptcy is even close to their sphere of prowess infuriates him. Military heroes who won't entertain the ridiculous notion that his carefully and fraudulently cultivated celebrity is important will always enrage him. 

Idle taunts and 6th grade insults are nothing compared to the clubs that got bounced off of Cummings' skull or the incarceration or the high powered water hoses turned on him or the dogs lashing at his limbs. Bring it, chump. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

That doesn't seem to be the overall picture.  The yoots are going to save us.  It's not same old same old any more.  The sheer size of Millennials and Gen Zs swamp the differences in voter participation rates of the olds.  Young people hate R, there are a ton of young people, and suddenly they actually vote.

historical_house_vote_choice_3.jpg

FT_19.05.23_GenerationsVoting_Millennial

Following the trend lines here (midterms, but whatev), I wouldn't be surprised if Gen X on down outdoes the olds by 10MM votes in 2020.

FT_19.05.23_GenerationsVoting_Youngergen

It helps that many see it as a chance to post selfies from the voting places or with their stickers like Taylor Swift.  

At Trump's current rate I'm surprised he didn't already approve this campaign slogan.

MRAP: Make Racism America's Priority

They could dig up some cool vehicles to spread the message and round up dissenters.

(edited. Please do not forward to the Trump campaign we shouldn't be encouraging this behavior) Mrap_MaxxProDashAMB_LeftFront.jpg

Edited by Irwin F Fletcher

He's on par with my 85 year old uncle with borderline dementia at this point.  Both watch Fox all day and post about whatever is on there at that very minute.
Wife's grandmother here... except she's 90 and they've taken away her phone. She does live in Ohio, but I don't think they're letting her vote anymore.