Kirby Smart on Texas after he lost to the Longhorns

Horn Under a Bad Sign

21 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Did you expect them to hang around and applaud Texas?

I dont recall, as a fan,  ever hanging around to watch an opponent receive their trophy. is this a thing?

No. But I did expect them to not be talking shit sitting in a Texas section down 20-7 at halftime. Alas, they were too stupid to know better, but I made sure they understood before the game ended. 

Of course the actual point was that we were receiving the trophy at the end and they weren’t. 

Edited by Tex Pete

19 minutes ago, You don't know me said:

This morning on the local (STL) sports radio show the hosts are in full "Georgia didn't want to be there" mode.  Fuck, I hate these idiots.  They were talking about playoff expansion (I also want to expand the playoffs) and their big argument this morning is "Don't expand the playoffs and you'll continue to get games like Texas and Georgia last night, where Georgia clearly didn't want to be there". 

Oh well, I'm just going to enjoy the win, but fuck the SEC and especially fuck these Mizzou fans that still see Texas as the evil giant.

The "clearly didn't want to be there" argument is always a horseshit one. Its a major bowl game, in Nawlins, lots of TV, and they expected likely to mudhole us, and got a reverse slam.

Their QB, "the SEC's best", played poorly, and clearly was not their leader. 

Another point, re:  "clearly didn't want to be there", those teams don't mind it when they schedule an FCS team, and get to run up the score etc. They don't mind being there then.

"Clearly they didn't want to be there last night", I agree,  especially when the our last slow grind ass pounding TD  got put across the line by SAM, THE I AM. 

I suspect when other teams tee up to play us and  see last night's game video, they won't likely want to be there either.....

• Like 5

I long for the days our fans can enjoy the victory instead of worrying about who is validating them. Most here weren't even predicting a win. Anyone watching the game knew that Kirby was making a rhetorical statement. If Georgia wasn't motivated, or was depressed about being left out of the playoffs, they had ample opportunity to decline the Sugar Bowl invite. We whipped them on a neutral field in a pretty fairly called game by the refs. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Except that all I heard yesterday morning on ESPN was how mean the UGA twitter game was and how indicative it was of their desire to be there and make a statement. 

Then the story changed on a dime as soon as they lost  

SEC knob slobbing MFers. 

This.

They had the opportunity to mudhole us and show everyone THEY should have been in the top 4.  That should have been motivation enough. 

1 hour ago, El Squared said:

The "clearly didn't want to be there" argument is always a horseshit one. Its a major bowl game, in Nawlins, lots of TV, and they expected likely to mudhole us, and got a reverse slam.

Their QB, "the SEC's best", played poorly, and clearly was not their leader. 

Another point, re:  "clearly didn't want to be there", those teams don't mind it when they schedule an FCS team, and get to run up the score etc. They don't mind being there then.

"Clearly they didn't want to be there last night", I agree,  especially when the our last slow grind ass pounding TD  got put across the line by SAM, THE I AM. 

I suspect when other teams tee up to play us and  see last night's game video, they won't likely want to be there either.....

Yep.  'Clearly didn't want to be there' is KSU in the Alamo Bowl instead of playing for the MNC after losing to aggy in the Big XII CG.  It is NOT playing in a NY6 Bowl with the highest seeding short of the 4 team playoff.

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

I long for the days our fans can enjoy the victory instead of worrying about who is validating them. Most here weren't even predicting a win. Anyone watching the game knew that Kirby was making a rhetorical statement. If Georgia wasn't motivated, or was depressed about being left out of the playoffs, they had ample opportunity to decline the Sugar Bowl invite. We whipped them on a neutral field in a pretty fairly called game by the refs. 

Except for that last targeting call being upheld so now one of our starting corners next year misses the first half of the Louisiana Tech game. That was clear shoulder-to-shoulder contact by Cook. Yes it was late after the slide started so it was a late hit personal foul, but it was not targeting.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Except for that last targeting call being upheld so now one of our starting corners next year misses the first half of the Louisiana Tech game. That was clear shoulder-to-shoulder contact by Cook. Yes it was late after the slide started so it was a late hit personal foul, but it was not targeting.

Yeah but they're consistent in their inability to correctly call targeting so it sort of makes it fair.

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I honestly did not even think the Davis penalty was targeting. 

Cook's hit was either dirty or patently stupid but it was nowhere near the definition of targeting. Can they waive that suspension on review? 

1 hour ago, El Hornarino said:

Strong argument against the committee perhaps.

more a strong argument about the ranking system that feeds the committee's choices.   Re: inflating the SEC rep through propaganda.   Problem is too many sportswriters are too dumb or lazy to actually research and think out a stance.   They just jump on the SEC bandwagon because safety in numbers. 

If anything, Georgia came out TOO fired up and the Texas Offense made them pay for it.  Look at the first drive.  They start by creating a pile up at the LOS to stop the inside run.  Texas attacked it with a swing pass sweep action.  2nd play they're trying like hell to get to the QB.  Sam throws right to the area outside the DE vacated by the LB.  3rd play they overpursue in the backfield on a outside zone run and Watson cuts it back for plus yardage.  Next play, Sam lets the coverage run off downfield than hits his outlet receiver underneath.

Georgia's D came out pumped up and charging the gate.  Beck and the committee had a great answer for that and made them pay for their aggression. (did I just write that?)  It was like watching a martial arts master evade the charging meathead, smack him on the back of the head going by and saying "calm down junior."

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

more a strong argument about the ranking system that feeds the committee's choices.   Re: inflating the SEC rep through propaganda.   Problem is too many sportswriters are too dumb or lazy to actually research and think out a stance.   They just jump on the SEC bandwagon because safety in numbers. 

They believe what they're paid to believe. 

• Like 1

so hit a little diner off the french quarter at 4 am and about 10 Georgia players came in and sat behind us. there were 4 in the booth behind me and obviously because we were wearing orange, the white guy (RB/special teams Prather Hudson) says "How did we lose to those average fuckers?" Guy next to him who is obviously a defensive player says "It was our fault". Hudson says "Nah, y'all played good, it was us". I mumbled "nah your defense got ran all over". Can do that when the other patrons in the place are 4 cops.

The defensive player did make a comment "If ********* is here next year, I am gone". Didn't hear the name but assumed it was a coach. I know he was probably not really serious, but thought it was interesting. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tom Chairman said:

Wouldn't it be funny if Kirby consults with Tom next year about shoring up UGAs weaknesses? Aggy would have a conniption.

aggy could be 7-3 or 8-2 going into their final two games in Athens and Baton Rouge.  Would love to contribute to the bottom falling out of their roller coaster ride. 

24 minutes ago, po elvis said:

The defensive player did make a comment "If ********* is here next year, I am gone". Didn't hear the name but assumed it was a coach. I know he was probably not really serious, but thought it was interesting. 

Was it their QB, Fromm, he was referring too?

Made crappy passes when it counted and must of had 2 pair of sliding shorts on (primary and reserve chute).

49 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

They believe what they're paid to believe. 

Talking heads used to be the term in the previous milenium, but now it's inadequate. 

I prefer barking rectums for most "sports journalists/reporters".

All just cheap cogs in a greasy machine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Which is why they should have little impact in picking teams to play in the playoff.

Let's just go to 16 and be done with it. That bracket is big enough that even an idiot can pick mostly correctly, the crying about not getting in becomes much less appropriate at #17, and the argument will get settled on the field.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Was it their QB, Fromm, he was referring too?

Made crappy passes when it counted and must of had 2 pair of sliding shorts on (primary and reserve chute).

This can’t be overstated.

Fromm missed throws that average / below average Big12 teams make on the reg.

we stopped the run cold. It was up to him to win it. He did not so we won.

34 minutes ago, po elvis said:

so hit a little diner off the french quarter at 4 am and about 10 Georgia players came in and sat behind us. there were 4 in the booth behind me and obviously because we were wearing orange, the white guy (RB/special teams Prather Hudson) says "How did we lose to those average fuckers?" Guy next to him who is obviously a defensive player says "It was our fault". Hudson says "Nah, y'all played good, it was us". I mumbled "nah your defense got ran all over". Can do that when the other patrons in the place are 4 cops.

You've either got some impressive balls or BAC, not sure which

Just now, Dnaguy said:

This can’t be overstated.

Fromm missed throws that average / below average Big12 teams make on the reg.

we stopped the run cold. It was up to him to win it. He did not so we won.

Orlando mind fucked him too. Statistics showed Fromm was one of the top 5 QBs in college football against the blitz. Orlando's schemes had him guessing the entire night, and after the LBs and Foster got home and knock the shit out of him, he became gun shy.

2 minutes ago, Drew80 said:

You've either got some impressive balls or BAC, not sure which

To be fair he said he mumbled it, never said the Georgia players heard it. @po elvis forgot he was on the internet, where we are all super badasses. He should have said that he stood up and got in the Georgia guy's face and said "Your defense got run all over and you're lucky those cops are here or I'd do the same thing to your punk ass right now!!!"

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Orlando mind fucked him too. Statistics showed Fromm was one of the top 5 QBs in college football against the blitz. Orlando's schemes had him guessing the entire night, and after the LBs and Foster got home and knock the shit out of him, he became gun shy.

Orlando defiantly needs his props.

It’s amazing just how much more of a genius he looks when he schemes for an offense without a mobile qb... 

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

lulz

That's actually a great argument for an 8-team playoff. Probably as good an argument as can be made.

I think he's trying to say that #5 and #7-#9 were upset by lesser teams, therefore they don't belong.  Obviously #3 and #4 "should have" lost (and did).

What he's missing is the fact that those upsets show that the rankings are essentially a crapshoot.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Exactly. His "thought" basically boils down to this:

The playoff committee is really bad at ranking teams, so we should probably trust them to get the top 4 right.

Shit, I completely missed that #9 should be lumped in with #3 and #4.  Still . . .

22 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Agree.  The D last night reminded me a bit of Penn State’s vs Miami with Testavetde at the 1986 Fiesta Bowl.   Not so much in exact schemes as much as how well we were able mix things up and keep pre-snap reads inconclusive so that Fromm  never got comfortable with what he was being faced with.

4 minutes ago, Rhinotx said:

Nah we might be playing them in the playoffs next season. If they make it. 

Exactly.  That was a one time deal when TH was taking over at Cougar High and wasn't going to compete for anything serious with Alabama.

Herman and Orlando did put on a Sugar Bowl clinic for Kirby's benefit though.  So he's got that going for him.  Which is nice.

Edited by sushihorn