Way Too Early Pre-Season Top 25 (2019)

Neonmoon

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/college-football-rankings-sns-pre-preseason-top-25-for-2019/1r9osjd86wpdr1alq91g458llh

Sporting News: Texas #6

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/way-too-early-top-25-college-football-rankings-2019

Athlon: Texas #6

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Georgia
4. Oklahoma
5. Ohio State
6. Texas
7. Florida
8. Michigan
9. LSU
10. Texas A&M
11. Notre Dame
12. Oregon
13. Penn State
14. Washington
15. UCF
16. Utah
17. Iowa
18. Wisconsin
19. Nebraska
20. Missouri
21. Virginia Tech
22. Iowa State
23. Auburn
24. Northwestern
25. Washington State

What you got?

Edited by Neonmoon

1 minute ago, Mikey4 said:

I don't understand Oklahoma at #4. Whatever.

You can say “until someone beats them....” but the chances of them finding a 3rd Heisman-caliber QB in a row, nearly completely restocking their o-line, finding a replacement for a game-breaker like Brown and shoring up that shitty ass defense before next season and playing for a playoff spot is pretty unlikely. Don’t get me wrong, I think they’re top 10-12 but I don’t think even Sooners will tell you they will be as good next season as this season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mikey4 said:

I don't understand Oklahoma at #4. Whatever.

That makes two of us. They're losing a ton of key players on offense and their defense is likely to be hot garbage once again. Lamb is a very good WR, but he didn't have the explosiveness of Brown.

Here is a comparison to the last CFP Rankings (prior to bowl season)

1. Alabama  even
2. Clemson  even
3. Georgia  +2
4. Oklahoma  even
5. Ohio State  +1
6. Texas  +9
7. Florida  +3
8. Michigan  -1
9. LSU  +2
10. Texas A&M  +9
11. Notre Dame  -8
12. Oregon  unranked
13. Penn State  -1
14. Washington  -5
15. UCF  -7
16. Utah  +1
17. Iowa  unranked
18. Wisconsin  unranked
19. Nebraska  unranked
20. Missouri  +3
21. Virginia Tech  unranked
22. Iowa State  +2
23. Auburn  unranked
24. Northwestern  -2
25. Washington State  -12

Teams that fell out of the top 25

Kentucky, West Virginia, Miss St, Syracuse, Fresno St, Boise St

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Yesh said:

1. Alabama  even
2. Clemson  even
3. Georgia  +2
4. Oklahoma  even
5. Ohio State  +1
6. Texas  +9
7. Florida  +3
8. Michigan  -1
9. LSU  +2
10. Texas A&M  +9
11. Notre Dame  -8
12. Oregon  unranked
13. Penn State  -1
14. Washington  -5
15. UCF  -7
16. Utah  +1
17. Iowa  unranked
18. Wisconsin  unranked
19. Nebraska  unranked
20. Missouri  +3
22. Iowa State  +2
23. Auburn  unranked
24. Northwestern  -2

Check the date on this.  Wazzu hasn't been that low this year.  

edit: never mind I see that you just added the +-

I'm a dumbass....

Edited by SDG

4 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

I really like Georgia at 3, when we just destroyed them, and something like half of their starters have declared for the draft. Smh

As part of the sec east  they have a manageable schedule.  Notre dame florida and the likely sec ccg are the toughest. And you never know with ND and florida.  

15 minutes ago, Yesh said:

1. Alabama  even
2. Clemson  even
3. Georgia  +2
4. Oklahoma  even
5. Ohio State  +1
6. Texas  +9
7. Florida  +3
8. Michigan  -1
9. LSU  +2
10. Texas A&M  +9
11. Notre Dame  -8
12. Oregon  unranked
13. Penn State  -1
14. Washington  -5
15. UCF  -7
16. Utah  +1
17. Iowa  unranked
18. Wisconsin  unranked
19. Nebraska  unranked
20. Missouri  +3
22. Iowa State  +2
23. Auburn  unranked
24. Northwestern  -2

interesting, UT and Ags had the biggest jumps by far

Just now, bullet said:

Bennie Snell is their offense.  He is a Sr.  Josh Allen is their best player on defense and is also a Sr.

I’m aware of these facts. I’m just surprised anyone would apply such logic to an sec team, even Kentucky.  Ou shouldn’t be at 4 then with what they lose on offense and don’t lose on defense. 

Gut reaction is that 6 is a bit high but you look at what's behind that and all of a sudden it doesn't seem so unreasonable. And honestly you could make a pretty convincing argument Texas projects to be better than OU.

I don't follow other schools rosters very closely so I don't want to speculate too much regarding most of them. Though I will say, Bama and Clemson basically deserve to hold #1 and #2 based on current performance and recruiting until proven otherwise. They're like the Warriors and Cavs of the past four years. Even when you think they look mortal, they find a way to be there in the end. From what I understand of Georgia after opposition research for the bowl game, despite losing some pro talent, they are very young this year. They have recruited well and are definitely a good team. I could certainly see them being right there.

OU at 4 seems too high. I'm sure they'll be good, their recruiting has definitely picked up over the past few years, especially on offense. College football hasn't seen a team as talented as OU play the offensive style that they do and it shows when looking at their record over the past two years. But they lose nearly everyone of significance on offense and their recruiting class isn't bringing in any difference makers on D. They basically have to improve on that side of the ball but I don't think it'll be dramatic or anything.

I feel like you could group the 3-12 pool pretty much together; any order is reasonable enough. I don't know what Washington has in the pipeline but they are one really good QB away from being in that group again. Browning never really progressed after his sophomore year. Seemed like his talent was just maxed out.

Edited by gmr548

7 hours ago, Mikey4 said:

I really like Georgia at 3, when we just destroyed them, and something like half of their starters have declared for the draft. Smh

The team that lost to Maryland and OSU is going to be in the top 10 despite losing 9 starters on D and our best WR. We’re trending upwards, but JFC...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

The team that lost to Maryland and OSU is going to be in the top 10 despite losing 9 starters on D and our best WR. We’re trending upwards, but JFC...

If OSU could kick extra points they would have beaten OU. Let's not compare them to Maryland.

I mean yes OSU could be dogshit at times. But they were pretty badass when they brought their A game. They were one weird team last year.

Edited by Valmy77

Just now, Valmy77 said:

If OSU could kick extra points they would have beaten OU. Let's not compare them to Maryland.

I mean yes OSU could be dogshit at times. But they were pretty badass when they brought their A game.

Tulsa was shit. So was Baylor. So was KSU. So was Kansas. Our “blowout” was vs. a USC team that didn’t make a bowl. Our toughness is not in question, but our ability to put teams away is suspect. 

8 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Tulsa was shit. So was Baylor. So was KSU. So was Kansas. Our “blowout” was vs. a USC team that didn’t make a bowl. Our toughness is not in question, but our ability to put teams away is suspect. 

Yeah, no doubt. Every game is a one score game.

7 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

You can say “until someone beats them....” but the chances of them finding a 3rd Heisman-caliber QB in a row, nearly completely restocking their o-line, finding a replacement for a game-breaker like Brown and shoring up that shitty ass defense before next season and playing for a playoff spot is pretty unlikely. Don’t get me wrong, I think they’re top 10-12 but I don’t think even Sooners will tell you they will be as good next season as this season.

Yeah I agree.  #4?  Most didn’t have them top 5 this past preseason w that line and Kyler...

I’d put Texas 5 / OU 10-12.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

34 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Maybe you missed our QB getting knocked out of the game against Baylor. And us protecting him against Kansas.

We were up and now down this season, but let’s not be too dramatic. 

5 sec teams in the top 10...  lol.  Fun fact I bet a Aggie friend $500 on the Big 12 vs sec matchups in bowl games right after the Big 12 championship game before the bowls were announced cause he’s talking sec shit.  Guess who won.  He started with the Georgia didn’t want to be there ect excuses after the game.  I said fuck it if I never have to hear you talk your stupid shit about how great the sec is ever again, keep the fucking money I don’t care as long as I don’t hear sec shit from you ever again..   Once he says a word I’m collecting and he will... Cause aggie

Edited by Hook1997
  • Like 1

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25695788/espn-college-football-way-too-early-top-25-2019

8. Texas Longhorns

2018 record: 10-4, 7-2 Big 12

Returning starters: six offense, three defense, two special teams

Key losses: LB Gary Johnson, LB Anthony Wheeler, DB P.J. Locke III, CB Kris Boyd, DL Charles Omenihu, NT Chris Nelson, CB Davante Davis, RB Tre Watson, OT Calvin Anderson, G Patrick Vahe

Outlook: Texas is back -- and this time, the Longhorns mean it. They improved from 7-6 to 10-4 in coach Tom Herman's second season, including an upset of Oklahoma and a big win over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. It was Texas' first 10-win season in nine years, and Herman has instilled a physical style that had been missing in Austin.

Though the Longhorns are headed in the right direction, they're going to have to reload on defense in 2019, with as many as nine starters departing if junior safety Brandon Jones decides to turn pro.

Junior college transfer Caleb Johnson and early enrollees De'Gabriel Floyd and Marcus Tillman Jr. might get looks at linebacker this spring, and 2018 signee Anthony Cook and redshirt freshman Kobe Boyce are next in line at cornerback.

Quarterback Sam Ehlinger had a breakout season in 2018, and one of his favorite targets, Collin Johnson, has already decided to return, but Lil'Jordan Humphrey could turn pro early. Three starters will have to be replaced on the offensive line, as well.

Texas plays nonconference games against Louisiana Tech, LSU and Rice in 2019, with Big 12 road games at West Virginia, TCU, Iowa State and Baylor.

Last year, the first edition of the 2018 Way-Too-Early Top 25 correctly predicted four of the top five teams, six of the top 10 and 15 of the top 25 teams in the final College Football Playoff selection committee rankings.

Among the teams we had ranked too high: Wisconsin, Miami, Michigan State, Auburn, Virginia Tech and USC.

Among the teams we had ranked too low or didn't have ranked at all: Florida, Washington State, Kentucky, Utah, Texas A&M and Syracuse.

Strange omission to not include Texas as ranked too low, we finished 15 spots higher than they predicted in 2018.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/22111038/clemson-tigers-overtake-alabama-crimson-tide-no-1-way-too-early-2018-top-25

24. Texas

251.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Previous Way-Too-Early rank: 24
2017 record: 7-6, 5-4
Returning starters: Eight offense, five defense, one special teams

Key losses: LB Malik Jefferson, OT Connor Williams, S DeShon Elliott, P Michael Dickson, CB Holton Hill, WR Lorenzo Joe, OT Tristan Nickelson, TE Kendall Moore, NT Poona Ford, LB Naashon Hughes, SS Jason Hall

Outlook: The Longhorns lost six games in coach Tom Herman's first season, which was disappointing. But four of them were games decided by five points or fewer, including losses to USC, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Can the Longhorns learn to win close games in Year 2? If they do, they might enjoy a second-year bounce like Georgia and Miami had this past season.

Herman is going to have to figure out whether Shane Buechele or Sam Ehlingeris going to be the quarterback moving forward. The offensive line is going to have to do a better job protecting the quarterback, too, after allowing a whopping 34 sacks in 2017.

Defensive coordinator Todd Orlando upgraded the unit this past season, but he'll miss Jefferson, Elliott and Hill, three of his better players. UT plays USC, TCU and West Virginia at home, along with the annual contest against Oklahoma in Dallas.

Edited by pacman

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/college-gridiron-365/os-sp-top-25-rankings-college-football-0109-story.html

13. Texas

Buzz: The debate as to whether Texas football is truly back will most likely carry into 2019 especially after the way the Longhorns capped a tremendous turnaround in 2018 with a win over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

Tom Herman’s team returns extensive experience, including quarterback Sam Ehlinger, wide receiver Lil’ Jordan Humphrey and defensive back Caden Sterns.

9 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Dennis Dodd at CBS put out this top 10 today.  Leaves Texas out of the top 10.  Comments are taking him to task.  I think it's clickbait.  Leaving Texas out will generate more comments than including us.

Comic Sans would've looked better

I hope everyone continues sleeping on us. We are some Bevos smelling dogshit in that role, ain't no fence or 90 lb photographer going to keep us from charging

He did put us at 11, which is fine by me.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-rankings-way-too-early-top-25-sees-clemson-entering-2019-season-at-no-1/

Should be an interesting battle in the Big 12 between OU and the Horns. Texas went to another (physical) level against Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. Quarterback Sam Ehlinger returns, as does 6-foot-6 receiver Collin Johnson. Sophomore Keontay Ingram must learn to run better behind his line which loses three starters.

Edited by pacman