01/08 AP Final Top 25 Poll: Texas is #9

The Tower

14 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

What faget ass Aggy wrote this poll up 

Texas with 4 losses ranked ahead of aggy with 4 losses (that were equivalent to wins).  Pretty sure aggy didn't make the poll results.

I will admit - after the first couple of games this season, I did not expect Texas to even be in the final AP poll top 25.  Kudos to the team for figuring shit out and getting it done.

Unfortunately, it will take another couple poor bowl seasons like this one before the SEC stops getting the benefit of the doubt. They’ve always been top-heavy, but this year their top 2 teams got spanked along with their lower level teams getting beat.  Thank god aggy and Jimbo are keeping that conference afloat during this time of turmoil. 

26th AP top 10 finish in program history. Compared to our in state brethren: 

aggy: 12

tcu: 12*

baylol: 2

tech: 0 

Edited by UTEX_ME
wiki didn't add the #1 AP poll finish for their 1938 championship. same as aggy lulz.

Yeah, they expect the ballots so soon after the game that I assume pretty much every voter had the entire thing filled out except the #1 and #2 slots just like McMurphy announced on Twitter. So nobody bothered to reevaluate their ballots even if they suddenly realized the SEC hype was destroyed.

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, they expect the ballots so soon after the game that I assume pretty much every voter had the entire thing filled out except the #1 and #2 slots just like McMurphy announced on Twitter. So nobody bothered to reevaluate their ballots even if they suddenly realized the SEC hype was destroyed.

Agreed. Having the morning to review and rethink might be wasted time, but at least it would afford an opportunity to account for the game.

It's so important that the poll come out in the middle of the night after the championship game instead of the afternoon or even, gasp, the following evening. It's more important than having the members give a considered rating. It's so important!

Fucking idiots.

Still, happy to have the Longhorns in that top ten. That's a lot of respect for a four loss team, and a tip of the hat to our trajectory.

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It's so important that the poll come out in the middle of the night after the championship game instead of the afternoon or even, gasp, the following evening. It's more important than having the members give a considered rating. It's so important!

Yeah, I'm not sure why the AP was so desperate to get their poll out ASAP. Why not wait until the next morning?

22 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I don't get that. Why is it so important to get the poll out? Does the AP benefit from that in some way?

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I only went back to 1998, but if we finish Top 10 in the Coaches Poll we will be the only team I know of to finish Top 10 in both polls with 4 losses.

Auburn finished #10 in the AP Poll last year with a 10-4 record.

To be fair how many four loss teams also had ten wins? That being possible is a recent development.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

To be fair how many four loss teams also had ten wins? That being possible is a recent development.

There have been 33 teams in college football history with at least 10 wins and 4 losses. All finished exactly 10-4, unsurprisingly.

2002 Colorado St.
2002 Virginia Tech
2006 Central Michigan
2007 Central Florida
2007 Tennessee
2007 Tulsa
2009 Nebraska
2010 Miami (OH)
2011 Clemson
2011 Georgia
2011 Ohio
2012 Central Florida
2012 Nebraska
2013 Arizona St.
2013 Bowling Green
2013 Duke
2013 Marshall
2013 Rice
2013 Southern Cal
2014 Arizona
2014 Utah St.
2015 Bowling Green
2015 Florida
2015 Temple
2016 Colorado
2016 Navy
2016 Temple
2016 Virginia Tech
2017 Auburn
2017 Fresno St.
2018 Buffalo
2018 Texas
2018 Washington
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't get that. Why is it so important to get the poll out? Does the AP benefit from that in some way?

The media has to quickly bury the fact that the SEC poster child had their asses handed to them and transition to stories about the 2019 season, how the SECSEC will dominate and how they have X teams in the top 25, Tua Heisman hype, etc.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I only went back to 1998, but if we finish Top 10 in the Coaches Poll we will be the only team I know of to finish Top 10 in both polls with 4 losses.

Auburn finished #10 in the AP Poll last year with a 10-4 record.

That said, how many teams with 5 ranked wins and two top 5 wins have been left out of the end of year AP top 10?

I'm guessing zero.

4 hours ago, justinjc7 said:

Georgia over Texas is interesting.  If only there was some kind of objective way to determine who the better team is 🤔

Don't care. After where we've been the this decade, I'll gladly take 10-4, a Sugar Bowl win, and a Top 10 finish.

We've got a pulse on the national scene again. Keep it up Mr. Herman.

12 hours ago, satyanash said:

Not behind Florida either. That's asinine.

Still obsessed with that one time they hung with Bama and only lost by a touchdown, I guess.

So you want 11-3 UGA to be behind a 10-3 Florida team with two FCS wins, that UGA beat handily on a neutral site?  Why?

6 hours ago, Loco said:

Nevermind where they are in the poll, can anyone tell me why LSU is ranked above the Gata? 

Same record, Head to head win, and a larger win against a higher ranked opponent in the bowl game...

tl/dr  polls suck

LSU beat UGA who beat UF who beat LSU and all 3 have 3 losses. It's impossible to not have one above one of the others that they beat, except that via points it is almost an exact 3 way tie. 

LSU beat an unbeaten UCF with basically their second team D, and got robbed in their 3rd loss. The rankings are fine. Some of you would reflexively bitch about where the SEC teams were ranked no matter what the poll looked like.

9 hours ago, Loco said:

Nevermind where they are in the poll, can anyone tell me why LSU is ranked above the Gata? 

Same record, Head to head win, and a larger win against a higher ranked opponent in the bowl game...

tl/dr  polls suck

The question is why is Florida in the top 10?  The answer is they won big against a vastly overrated Michigan.

They finished 3rd in the SEC East.  Got stomped at home by Kentucky and Missouri.  Got stomped in Jacksonville by Georgia.  Their only ranked wins were by 8 at home vs. LSU and Michigan.  They were 2 games behind Georgia in the SEC East with 7 games the same and an equivalent 8th opponent (UGA beat Auburn big, Florida squeaked by MSU).  Georgia won much bigger (or won when FL lost) against 5 of those 7 and won by the same margin vs. TN.  The only advantage for FL was the LSU game.  Georgia played at LSU while FL won at home.

LSU's losses were by 2 in 7,000 overtimes vs. aggy, by 29 to Alabama and that 8 point loss to FL.  They did beat Georgia as well as UCF among ranked teams.

So the comparison I mentioned was with LSU not UGA.  A win against a directional school with a back up QB?? lulz   And if you thought UM was "vastly overrated" last year, this years "way too early" poll must be melting your mind.

32 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

49661563_2489197091108003_40789660806498

There are about 8 computer polls in the Massey composite that still have Alabama #1.  I looked at a couple of them.  Both had 10 SEC teams in the top 20.  Both had Missouri at #11 and Miss. St. at #14.  South Carolina was #16 in one and #18 in the other (UVA 28, USCe 0).  Both had Auburn at #19 or #20.

6 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

There have been 33 teams in college football history with at least 10 wins and 4 losses. All finished exactly 10-4, unsurprisingly.

2002 Colorado St.
2002 Virginia Tech
2006 Central Michigan
2007 Central Florida
2007 Tennessee
2007 Tulsa
2009 Nebraska
2010 Miami (OH)
2011 Clemson
2011 Georgia
2011 Ohio
2012 Central Florida
2012 Nebraska
2013 Arizona St.
2013 Bowling Green
2013 Duke
2013 Marshall
2013 Rice
2013 Southern Cal
2014 Arizona
2014 Utah St.
2015 Bowling Green
2015 Florida
2015 Temple
2016 Colorado
2016 Navy
2016 Temple
2016 Virginia Tech
2017 Auburn
2017 Fresno St.
2018 Buffalo
2018 Texas
2018 Washington

Remove the G5 and Independents - who have no shot at a Top 10 ranking with 4 losses - and you are left with this:

2002 Virginia Tech

2007 Tennessee

2009 Nebraska

2011 Clemson
2011 Georgia

2012 Nebraska
2013 Arizona St.

2013 Duke

2013 Southern Cal
2014 Arizona

2015 Florida

2016 Colorado

2016 Virginia Tech
2017 Auburn

2018 Texas
2018 Washington

11 hours ago, Loco said:

tl/dr  polls suck

I'de like to think the AP actually punished Florida for playing 2 FCS teams in OOC, but probably not since they never punish other SEC teams for playing FCS opponents 

I like our ranking but the Georgia ranking is a bit odd. I understand how ranking work and such discrepancies occur. However when you consider their record as being better you should also factor in the fact that their noncomference schedule was made such that the possibility of a loss is almost zero whereas we scheduled at least two real teams where a loss could occur. Plus the way that they were handled I think a case could be made to swap our ranking.

Wow, some dude named Jim Alexander had us ranked #18. He had Army at #7, Utah State at #9, and Fresno State at #11. Give me a break, how is this dude even allowed to vote....

https://collegepolltracker.com/football/team/texas-longhorns/2018

Also fucking sad that Rece Davis has us ahead of LSU and Florida and our hometown asswipe Kirk Bohls has us behind both of them. Fuck that guy.

12 hours ago, South Austin said:

I don't have a problem with this final ranking.  We lost 4 games, one of them being Maryland.  No. 9 seems just about right.  More important than final poll number, we pounded Georgia for a Sugar Bowl win to end the season.  A bump up one or two spots in the poll wouldn't produced any greater momentum going into the 2019 season. 

In fact,  I think being ranked just below Georgia is exactly what we needed going into the off-season. 

9 hours ago, satyanash said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why the AP was so desperate to get their poll out ASAP. Why not wait until the next morning?

A traditional poll like the AP should have voted before the West Coast games finished.  Unfortunately that would have included the CFP Final.  

And really, we should be #4, OU #5.

The momentum from beating Georgia and knowing you beat two high quality teams (OU/Georgia) without four full classes (read: depth) with the new coaching staff is a good step to me.  No worries about ranking at all.  I am worried we lose a lot on defense but I think we can manage with the younger talent next year if we stay relatively healthy.  No LJH hurts but WR is really not a position of worry to me.  We should be fine.

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

All I needed to see was where Kentucky was ranked to know the level of bullshit.

12... Number fucking 12

Well, that's probably largely because they beat Penn State in the bowl, which actually is impressive when you remember that Penn State had that impressive win over no one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Wow, some dude named Jim Alexander had us ranked #18. He had Army at #7, Utah State at #9, and Fresno State at #11. Give me a break, how is this dude even allowed to vote....

https://collegepolltracker.com/football/team/texas-longhorns/2018

Also fucking sad that Rece Davis has us ahead of LSU and Florida and our hometown asswipe Kirk Bohls has us behind both of them. Fuck that guy.

turns out Jim Alexander had the largest number of outliers 

from his #6 choice all the way to #25 he only has TWO picks that arent considered "extreme" (5 picks or more away from the final position of the team) meaning this fuck either had teams way higher than they should have been, or way lower than they ended up. 

and if you look at his ballot this clown basically voted based on loses only. with 3 exceptions he went all the 1 loss teams, followed by the 2 loss teams, followed by the 3 loss teams, in order.

whats actually funny is he had Texas not ranked in the final poll before the bowl season. Meaning he moved us up at least 8 spots in his final ballot. 

This is the kind of moron that needs to lose their voting rights. all he gives a shit about is whoever has the fewest losses. 

6 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Yup. Top 10 finish. Didn’t see that one coming after Maryland.

heck of a run.  TBH, TT and Baylor gave way too close games which need separation next year - as well as beating WVU and OKSt.  Texas is very very close to being top 5, just needs to finish in Q4.