Poona Ford

Machinator

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pete Carroll had a lot to say about Poona this week:

On Poona Ford's play

I'm glad somebody picked that up. Poona did a really good job. He played really well. He was sideline to sideline and we had him at 6 tackles in the game. That's a lot of production for the nose tackle but it was because he was running and chasing the football so well. He's a really instinctive football player, it's not too big for him. He's played a lot of big games in college so it was nothing for him to be out there and battling with those guys. Richburg's a good center, those guys have played a lot, he did a nice job battling with him. We're really encouraged by that, it was nice to see that he has that kind of mobility and can go sideline to sideline. Missed a couple opportunities too, missed one on the play that broke downfield. He had great effort and pursuit, just missed a tackle in the open field. It showed a lot of juice just getting all over the place so we're really happy about that.

Does him not having the typical body type for that position work to his advantage?

He certainly doesn't. It does in the sense that we always talk about, in football the low man wins, he's the low man. Starts there, he has really long arms and he understands how to use his length to keep him clear of blockers and keep his feet clear so he can pursue. He's really quick, he's a really natural athlete, can do a lot of stuff. You'd be surprised if you saw him throwing the ball and catching and things like that. He's a great athlete. He was a runningback in high school. Can you imagine those little high school kids trying to tackle him? He probably didn't look the same. I think he was player of the year in his conference his last year there too, pretty hard as a nose tackle. You can see why, because of his activity. He's done well throughout but he really made a big impression on us this week when he had this much playing time and this much focus. We're excited for him. 

On Poona's mobility

It's his mobility that makes him special. I know everything about him is unique, but to see his ability to accelerate and get out there. He's very comfortable running in space, he's jumping over guys and doing all kinds of stuff to get to the football. Clint Hurt has been saying it, he's got a lot of stuff for us and we just finally got the really concentrated look at him and you can tell. We're hoping he'll help us down the stretch.

Were you sweating a lot that he would be drafted or did you have a good sense that he wouldn't?

Well, John knew his situation better. We thought he would get drafted late in the draft, we were looking at that. That's why we were tuned into him and one of the first calls that we made was to go get him. Sometimes it just happens, if people look at him he's kinda under the radar size-wise and people look at him as an exception or whatever. We particularly like those guys. You can see why he was touted as such a good player but his numbers aren't quite there. He plays like it, so that's what counts.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 1:17 PM, Machinator said:

Pete Carroll had a lot to say about Poona this week:

Funny that after all the rumors of years past, he actually ended up being coached by Clint Hurtt. That makes me wonder if Charlie had something to do with Poona being on their radar at all.

Edited by Nope

7 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

You don’t think Charlie told anyone in the NFL about Poona?

1 minute ago, USMCHorn said:

It’s completely plausible 

No, it isn’t. Charlie Strong is one of the most disorganized dufuses in the sport.  A year removed from the program, you think he’s calling around with contacts in the NFL and talking up players on the Texas roster. That’s fanboi bullshit from Chuckles Strong Apologists. 

Seattle scouts the fuck out of Texas. If you think Poona Ford was some sort of secret to them that needed a boost from some mindless rube in Tampa, then you have your heads firmly shoved up your assholes when it comes to how this shit works. 

Charlie Strong is the worst coach in the history of Texas football. Please stop going out of your way to insert him in shit like this. If he was this good, he’d still fucking be here. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No, it isn’t. Charlie Strong is one of the most disorganized dufuses in the sport.  A year removed from the program, you think he’s calling around with contacts in the NFL and talking up players on the Texas roster. That’s fanboi bullshit from Chuckles Strong Apologists. 

Seattle scouts the fuck out of Texas. If you think Poona Ford was some sort of secret to them that needed a boost from some mindless rube in Tampa, then you have your heads firmly shoved up your assholes when it comes to how this shit works. 

Charlie Strong is the worst coach in the history of Texas football. Please stop going out of your way to insert him in shit like this. If he was this good, he’d still fucking be here. 

Look I get it, you hate Charlie. But are you really saying he wouldn’t put in a word for Poona because he’s too dumb? You realize how ridiculous that sounds? Your extreme hate for a coach that’s no longer here makes you worse than these “apologists” you speak of. Calm the fuck down.

Edited by USMCHorn
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, USMCHorn said:

Look I get it, you hate Charlie. But are you really saying he wouldn’t put in a word for Poona because he’s too dumb? You realize how ridiculous that sounds? Your extreme hate for a coach that’s no longer here makes you worse than these “apologists” you speak of. Calm the fuck down.

There's a difference between putting a good word in for Poona and actively campaigning for him to get a look from scouts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

There's a difference between putting a good word in for Poona and actively campaigning for him to get a look from scouts.

Yes the proposal is that Strong/Hurtt connection is why anyone in Seattle could have even heard about the Big 12 POY.  Not that Strong had great things to say about Poona when Seattle was doing their due diligence in talking with coaches.

Yes the proposal is that Strong/Hurtt connection is why anyone in Seattle could have even heard about the Big 12 POY.  Not that Strong had great things to say about Poona when Seattle was doing their due diligence in talking with coaches.

I was simply saying that he would tell people about him. Did Poona need it? Probably not but it wouldn’t hurt. But I do believe Strong tried to get tryouts and camp invites for his players.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I agree with you, its great to see Poona kicking ass out there. Couldn't be happier to see him working his ass off and beating the odds. 

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Thank you. I’m not saying, at all, that Strong be an advocate for Ford. I’m merely challenging that he’d have his shit together enough to be proactive in campaigning for him or that that is why Seattle signed Ford in the first place. It’s ridiculous and, frankly, it diminishes Ford’s story here. 

I'm no Peter King fan, but it's always nice to see a Longhorn get appreciation from a national writer.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/17/nick-foles-eagles-rams-fmia-nfl-week-15-peter-king/

Speaking of great pickups of guys on the street: Poona Ford, the 5-10, 315-pound rookie defensive tackle (undrafted too) is making plays for Seattle. Charging through the Niners line and erasing Matt Breida in the third quarter … impressive.

7 hours ago, Skipper said:

The fact that he wasn't even drafted really makes you question how much actual scouting these guys do vs. relying on measurables.

The problem is that they looked at the numbers rather than asking what the numbers are supposed to represent. Height is only important because it usually correlates to arm length and therefore ability to create distance on the interior of the DL. Somebody with more than average reach who is also shorter would actually have even more leverage, so if they'd been paying attention to the why and not just the what, they wouldn't be looking so stupid right now.

7 hours ago, Skipper said:

Any Texas fan could have told you that Poona would have success in the NFL.   It was a no brainer.  The fact that he wasn't even drafted really makes you question how much actual scouting these guys do vs. relying on measurables.

honestly, i think it is at least 75% measurables. these nfl guys live in a copycat league and tend to be very conservative when it comes to drafting a player who "doesn't fit the profile." 

but then they'll go and draft a johnny manzeil.

stupid.

8 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I was simply saying that he would tell people about him. Did Poona need it? Probably not but it wouldn’t hurt. But I do believe Strong tried to get tryouts and camp invites for his players.

Maybe you’re correct. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SDG said:

"...suspects he'll go."

Fixed it for the Hawks Chronicle.

(Sports journalists shouldn't be as stupid as the dumbest high school athlete that they'll ever cover. They should have an English or Journalism degree or they should have to run their shit through someone who does.)

That being said, Poona is, and always has been, the mutha fuckin' MAN!

He flat out dominated every OL in college.  He didn't just beat them.  He abused them.  You'd think some team would be willing to risk a late round pick for a P5 defensive player of the year award winner.... but nope... they just saw his height and counted him out.   

Also, Aaron Donald is 6'.  How can these idiots watch a 6' DT dominate the NFL and then all pass on another 5'11 DT that dominated college.

• Like 1

He flat out dominated every OL in college.  He didn't just beat them.  He abused them.  You'd think some team would be willing to risk a late round pick for a P5 defensive player of the year award winner.... but nope... they just saw his height and counted him out.   
Also, Aaron Donald is 6'.  How can these idiots watch a 6' DT dominate the NFL and then all pass on another 5'11 DT that dominated college.

It’s a game of inch
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

With a little playing time he ought to be a fan favorite.  Who doesn't love an underdog making good, all effort, all heart character guy on your team.  

He’s already a fan favorite starting in training camp.  He’ll be starting the rest of the way and I hope he gets a little financial reward in the off season. 

Nice tribute to Texas teammate/roommate.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/the-inside-story-behind-rising-seahawks-rookie-poona-fords-celebratory-belly-rub/

Poona Ford rubbed his belly and fulfilled a promise along the way.

Before he was a rising rookie defensive tackle for the Seahawks, the 5-foot-11, 310-pound Ford was the 2017 Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year at Texas. And while he was there, Ford lived with teammate and fellow UT defensive tackle Chris Nelson.

In his senior season in Austin, Texas, this fall, the 297-pound Nelson rubbed his belly after each impactful play.

More than 2,000 miles away, Ford was watching … and he was inspired.

“He had his senior season and I saw him do it,” Ford said with a smile on Wednesday. “I was like, ‘The next time I get a chance to do it, I’m going to do it.’”

The former undrafted free agent was granted that chance on Sunday, when he exploded for a career-high six tackles and three tackles for loss on the road at San Francisco. In overtime, Ford disengaged from the center, burst through the line of scrimmage and wrecked running back Matt Breida for a five-yard loss.

Then came the belly rub heard ‘round the world — especially in Austin, Texas.

“I called (Nelson after the game),” Ford said. “I told him, ‘I told you I would do it for you one time.’ I ended up doing it twice.”

• Like 1