Alabama Football - Now Featuring Kalen DeBoer

LTtxfan

50 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Boo freaking boo. Saban crying because they’re not the only ones paying anymore and Bama doesn’t have the advantage. DeBoer too. Hypocrites.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39572219/nick-saban-wants-voice-change-college-football

That transparent bastard.  It's 100% about him and his not having the same advantages they've always had.  It doesn't have a single damn thing to do with fairness or integrity.  That lying underhanded scheming sonofabitch.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hmm 🤔

Alabama replacing longtime football radio announcer Eli Gold

AP      Feb 21, 2024

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Alabama is replacing longtime football radio announcer Eli Gold.

The school announced Wednesday that Chris Stewart will replace Gold, 70, starting with the spring football game. Gold has been the voice of Alabama football for 35 years, calling seven national championship games, 11 Southeastern Conference championships and 35 bowl games.

"Eli has been an invaluable member of our broadcast team," said Jim Carabin, vice president and general manager of the Crimson Tide Sports Network. "We are grateful for his years of service and wish him all the best in this next chapter. CTSN is fortunate to have someone as part of our existing broadcast team in Chris to step up and seamlessly transition into this role."

Stewart has been with the network in a variety of positions since 1998. He had filled in for Gold during the 2022 season, when the longtime broadcaster was diagnosed with cancer. Gold resumed partial duties last season, calling home games and the Auburn game.

Gold told AL.com that he does not plan to retire.  "Well, the university has chosen not to bring me back," Gold said. "This is not, with a capital N-O-T, not at all health-related. I am very healthy. Everything is wonderful. I am healthy as a horse."

-----------------------------------------------

Previous article about Gold's recovery...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38347923/comeback-alabama-crimson-tide-college-football-announcer-eli-gold

"There is a tradition in any program, and Eli's been a part of that tradition for a long, long, time," says Bama coach Nick Saban, who does his weekly radio show alongside Gold every autumn Thursday night. "When people listen, they expect to hear Eli Gold."

13 hours ago, Scholz said:

Boo freaking boo. Saban crying because they’re not the only ones paying anymore and Bama doesn’t have the advantage. DeBoer too. Hypocrites.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39572219/nick-saban-wants-voice-change-college-football

Saban plays the trope "what about 28 or 29 year old guys that are out of football and spent their money?" as some sort of concern. That happens to hundreds of guys every year already in the NFL or having been paid by dirty college teams. The notion that that is a concern is fucking ridiculous. Why do we need to care about grown men that cannot handle being given life-changing money? They have financial people giving input. Most people in their 20's never see lump sums of 6 or 7 digits. Boo fucking hoo.

Anyway, when arguments like that are being made, you know that conniving bitch is out of bullets. We're going to get really tired of listening that dirty hypocrite on ESPN.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Wanted to check in on this. The quotation marks were a nice touch.

It's been a wild ride here in the Heart of Dixie. 

I'm still not worried about it. Expectations need to be realistic. Losing Grubb is unfortunate, but again, whatever. 

13 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

It's been a wild ride here in the Heart of Dixie. 

I'm still not worried about it. Expectations need to be realistic. Losing Grubb is unfortunate, but again, whatever. 

Yeah, I feel you. Sucked for us losing Bo Davis on defense, but all we can do is hope for the best. Like Bobby Burton said - CFB is just a nomadic profession, and we have to get used to it. 

New Alabama head coach Kalen DeBoer explains why he does not cuss

ZACH BARNETT           10 HOURS AGO

It's a new flipping day in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

That's something we all conceptually understood back on Jan. 12 when the Crimson Tide hired Kalen DeBoer to replace Nick Saban, and it's something we're beginning to see for ourselves more and more with each passing day. 

Wednesday was a bright, blinking example of the differences between the Saban Era and the DeBoer Domain. Not only did Alabama reveal that assistant coaches will be allowed to speak to the media more than once per calendar year, not only will media be permitted to watch certain periods of practice, the media -- or at least one non-ESPN show -- was invited in the Mal Moore Athletic Complex to sit down with Alabama coaches.

And within that, we got another example of the differences from how Alabama was run from 2007-23 to how it will be from 2024 to some undetermined point in the future.

The head coach does not cuss. Or curse. Or swear. Or whatever they flipping call it in your neck of the darn woods. 

Now, I would personally place Nick Saban at a 5 or 6 on a 1-to-10 scale of over-cussing, but DeBoer is a zero.

"There's a fire, don't get me wrong," DeBoer explained in an interview with The Next Round. "There's a competitiveness that the guys see. I think they see that already in the workouts. They feel that in team meetings, the standard that exists, it's still the same standard, it's just messaged a different way.

"I just feel like you are who you are. For me, finding ways to positive reinforce -- if there's a discipline moment, that still happens. But how do you message it, how do you deliver it, how do you work together with these guys to where players understand, 'Hey, I'm fighting the same fight you are, I want the same things you want.' 

"We talk about our coaches jobs are to teach, critique and demand. We're teaching, we're being critical of them, and we're demanding excellence as close to perfection as we can. (The players') jobs are to grind, refine and compete. The guys are grinding, they're refining their skills, and they're competing to be the best that they can." 

Alabama's JaMarcus Shephard doesn't refer to his position group as "receivers"

Shephard prefers a more aggressive term that makes a lot of sense.

If you watched Washington play this year it was impossible to come away not impressed with how dominant their receivers were on what so many coaches call "50/50 balls," and how physical they played

Come to find out, that's part of his grand design.

By design of course means in how he practices with his unit - that's a given - but the mentality also goes beyond that. 

The 2023 FootballScoop Wide Receivers Coach of the Year finalist prefers a more aggressive term that the passive "receivers" title for the group he now oversees at Alabama.

Former Washington player suing school, coaches and trainers over alleged medical negligence

“I considered receivers very passive in the way they play the position. There’s a lot of folks across the country, they look at receivers and they see them as playing soft. That right there doesn't go over well with me.

“A coach once told me, ‘Get your guys to play in your image,’ and I tried to be a tough player, even at receiver.”

He shared during an interview with Tide's 100.9 The Game that he calls prefers the term "takers."

“Being a taker is aggressive."

"It's an aggressive lifestyle. It’s how you go after the football, it's how you go after blocks, it's how you go after every single day on the football field.

“Being a taker is much more descriptive of how I want these guys to play.”

Shephard is going to see Husky wideout Rome Odunze taken in the first round, and two other guys from that runner-up finish likely to be taken in the NFL Draft.

He inherits a room in Tuscaloosa that lost it's top three receivers off last year's team (one to the NFL and two others transferred to Texas), but loaded with high-ranked recruits waiting to develop into the next best Alabama receiver.

Or if Shephard has his way...next best Alabama "taker."

DOUG SAMUELS....   FEB 28, 2024

Alabama's JaMarcus Shephard doesn't refer to his position group as "receivers"
Shephard prefers a more aggressive term that makes a lot of sense.
If you watched Washington play this year it was impossible to come away not impressed with how dominant their receivers were on what so many coaches call "50/50 balls," and how physical they played
Come to find out, that's part of his grand design.
By design of course means in how he practices with his unit - that's a given - but the mentality also goes beyond that. 
The 2023 FootballScoop Wide Receivers Coach of the Year finalist prefers a more aggressive term that the passive "receivers" title for the group he now oversees at Alabama.
Former Washington player suing school, coaches and trainers over alleged medical negligence
“I considered receivers very passive in the way they play the position. There’s a lot of folks across the country, they look at receivers and they see them as playing soft. That right there doesn't go over well with me.
“A coach once told me, ‘Get your guys to play in your image,’ and I tried to be a tough player, even at receiver.”
He shared during an interview with Tide's 100.9 The Game that he calls prefers the term "takers."
“Being a taker is aggressive."
"It's an aggressive lifestyle. It’s how you go after the football, it's how you go after blocks, it's how you go after every single day on the football field.
“Being a taker is much more descriptive of how I want these guys to play.”
Shephard is going to see Husky wideout Rome Odunze taken in the first round, and two other guys from that runner-up finish likely to be taken in the NFL Draft.
He inherits a room in Tuscaloosa that lost it's top three receivers off last year's team (one to the NFL and two others transferred to Texas), but loaded with high-ranked recruits waiting to develop into the next best Alabama receiver.
Or if Shephard has his way...next best Alabama "taker."

DOUG SAMUELS....   FEB 28, 2024

Sounds rapey. Also, sounds like some stupid shit Deion would do.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2024/03/nick-saban-rails-on-pay-for-play-how-chaos-contributed-to-retirement.html

I know it’s been discussed but…

aggy starts paying illegally, and now Texas starts legally paying where Alabama is going to struggle to keep up, so he retires and goes with the Bama AD to Capitol Hill to whines to Ted Cruz…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2024/03/nick-saban-rails-on-pay-for-play-how-chaos-contributed-to-retirement.html

aggy starts paying illegally, and now Texas starts legally paying where Alabama is going to struggle to keep up, so he retires and goes with the Bama AD to Capitol Hill to whines to Ted Cruz…

Yup he went from Michigan State to LSU to Miami Dolphins to Bama for the love of the game of course, not $$$. He would never do it for more $.

He would never do a dishonest thing such as announce that he is the coach for the Miami Dolphins, next day leave for Bama and not even bother to talk to his players…

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/1/2024 at 5:21 AM, Jkwellborn said:

["Takers"] Sounds rapey. ...

Doesn't sound a whole lot more aggressive than "Wide Receiver" or "Tight End", when you look at it.  Maybe "take-awayers" would be better? 

I won't push back on the "he's a hypocrite" narrative because you may be right

But when he says something about the state of things, it is wise to listen to him. That's all I'm saying. You don't have to agree with him. But you should listen.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

“It’s whoever wants to pay the most money, raise the most money, buy the best players, is going to have the best opportunity to win,” Saban said. “I don’t think that’s the spirit of college athletics. I don’t think that’s ever been the spirit of what we want college athletics to be.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

“It’s whoever wants to pay the most money, raise the most money, buy the best players, is going to have the best opportunity to win,” Saban said. “I don’t think that’s the spirit of college athletics. I don’t think that’s ever been the spirit of what we want college athletics to be.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

So he went to a school who is probably the biggest cheater in all of college football and they changed their way of doing business and went straight, bama never offered any benefits to recruits…

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

• Hook 'Em 2

What a biggity bitch. Known cheater, doesn’t have the advantage anymore and weeps like a sloppy vagina. Fuck that lying, hypocritical, angry midget.

Hey asshole, tell me about “the kids” when you’re coaching up Dallas Turner to play dirty and drive QBs into the turf.

• Hook 'Em 4

19 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I busted out laughing when I saw Saban whining about the big bucks some NIL entities were raising to pay players…..and the poors like Alabama wouldn’t be able to compete.

• Haha 1

Fuck that sanctimonious asshole. What an absurd distortion of the truth. He retired because he saw firsthand that his precious competitive advantage was gone and didn't want his legacy tarnished.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 3/14/2024 at 10:11 AM, BHMCruiser said:

He beat Georgia in the SEC championship and was one play away from playing in the national championship. And he's 72. People sometimes retire when they're 72. 

so why didn't he just say that?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/14/2024 at 9:11 AM, BHMCruiser said:

He beat Georgia in the SEC championship and was one play away from playing in the national championship. And he's 72. People sometimes retire when they're 72. 

He quit because he didn’t want to compete on a level playing field. He’s a bitch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Just like everything else he railed against, if Bama can figure out a way to keep up with the big boys, Saban will stop having a problem with it. Dude paid his players and their families big and then said it was pale grants 😂

Get back on the pontoon, drive around moonshine lake and stfu. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2024 at 1:04 PM, Dewey said:

Just like everything else he railed against, if Bama can figure out a way to keep up with the big boys, Saban will stop having a problem with it. Dude paid his players and their families big and then said it was pale grants 😂

Get back on the pontoon, drive around moonshine lake and stfu. 

Is pale grants another way of saying under the table payments by old Bama grads?

17 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

If you don't feel a shit is worth giving, why are you giving a shit and exposing your opinion?

He's taking a knife out of the cheese. You think he wants some cheese? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

DeBoer's line dude likes maximum mobility at Center.   They went with a 265 lb guy last year. 

I think Alabama is going to have some surprising and serious LOS issues in 2024. I'll wait until the portal is closed to really think about it, but as of right now, and from what I saw in their spring game, there's a good shot that they won't look like the same fronts from Bama since 2008.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

15 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

DeBoer's line dude likes maximum mobility at Center.   They went with a 265 lb guy last year. 

You'd think they'd be more OZ heavy if that's the case 

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

But not so much mobility at QB. They went with passing last year. Is he going to replace Milroe