Do you ever wish you didn’t care so much?

SubliminalHorn

This can go for football as well. But politics directly, do you ever wish you just didn’t care that much? I have coworkers and friends that pay no attention to politics. They couldn’t give any details regarding what is happening. Nothing at all. I sometimes envy them. 

I go home after work and catch up on what I missed during the day and I get angry. This on top of what makes me angry reading updates here throughout the day. I wish I could just not pay attention, but I think this a pivotal moment in US history. Shit, I’m sure everyone has thought that about their time though. 

• Like 1

Are you also that guy at parties that says, "I wish I wasn't so smart, so I wouldn't recognize all the things wrong with the world today..."  ???

I didn't care when there were adults running things, but this is out of fucking control.  I got a bit heated in the W years after 9/11 too, but this shit show is just too much.  It IS a pivotal moment in world history, let alone US history.  I am glad I am paying attention so at least if it all goes to shit, I can say I did my best to stay informed and fight the good fight on some level.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Our issue is focus.  We should focus on issues that we might be able to affect (local issues, at most state issues like education). 

And also big issue that are so important that the existence of the world depends on them.  (Pollution, population control, climate change).

Most shit we discuss on these boards fall into neither category.

2 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Our issue is focus.  We should focus on issues that we might be able to affect (local issues, at most state issues like education). 

And also big issue that are so important that the existence of the world depends on them.  (Pollution, population control, climate change).

Most shit we discuss on these boards fall into neither category.

Bill in Sinton?

• Like 4

Sometimes I wish that but I love the game.  I fucking love it.  The study of American politics is the study of American culture, its story, its history and its future.    

If none of us cared and we had a society that turned their heads to corruption and injustice, we'd be Mexico within a generation.

• Like 3

Just now, Aqua Buddha said:

Sometimes I wish that but I love the game.  I fucking love it.  The study of American politics is the study of American culture, its story, its history and its future.   

Maybe this is the difference. I hate the game. It’s disgusting.

I follow politics to an extent to be aware of the world. But you can care about people and issues without caring about politics. 

Most of you will, no doubt, think that’s naive or short-sighted. I’m ok with that.

15 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If none of us cared and we had a society that turned their heads to corruption and injustice, we'd be Mexico within a generation.

The USA was grown on a steady manure of turning its head to injustice. Political corruption has been basically institutionalized into our system. Your point is well made, but if we really cared about the effects of corruption and injustice on our society, we would look different from not only Mexico but the USA as well. 

15 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Sanctimonious twattery aside, I agree completely. 

Edited by Anastasis

14 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Maybe this is the difference. I hate the game. It’s disgusting.

I follow politics to an extent to be aware of the world. But you can care about people and issues without caring about politics. 

Most of you will, no doubt, think that’s naive or short-sighted. I’m ok with that.

On a one-on-one level, this is true. 

On a societal level, politics is a necessary evil. 

1 hour ago, SubliminalHorn said:

This can go for football as well. But politics directly, do you ever wish you just didn’t care that much? I have coworkers and friends that pay no attention to politics. They couldn’t give any details regarding what is happening. Nothing at all. I sometimes envy them. 

I go home after work and catch up on what I missed during the day and I get angry. This on top of what makes me angry reading updates here throughout the day. I wish I could just not pay attention, but I think this a pivotal moment in US history. Shit, I’m sure everyone has thought that about their time though. 

I envy those that don't care, they seem happy they don't care.

However, I'm not built that way.  Because I've studied politics and history, I know it's impossible to under-appreciate this moment in time. 

The key is to not get too angry or sad about it and have faith in the process.  Just know you are living in the most fascinating time in American History.  We still have the ability to control the fate of our society, but perhaps not for long. 

The concern I have is how will this history be written 20 years from now.

Remember:  It's just a ride. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

I barely paid attention to it until trump came along. I viewed him as such a threat to the country I started paying a lot of attention and even donated good money to Bernie because I felt he had the best chance to beat trump and that trump could actually beat Hillary.

And this was even before I started believing tump was coordinating with Russia, which has only recently been the case for me. Trumps presidency has turned out far worse than I feared.

Not sure what I will do once this menace to our society is gone. 

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

In a way, I think we needed Trump.  All of our demons hiding under the surface have come out to play.

Trump is like a never ending self reflective mushroom trip.  We've got problems we need to address before we can really go forward. 

fify

Ignorance is bliss until you find out you have AIDS and are about to die.   Just ask Eazy-E.  Er, well, his widow.

For me it is not hard.  I have two sons and a daughter.  I give a shit about them, what their adult lives will be like and the problems they are going to face un-fucking Trump's America.  To the degree that I can help limit and/or prepare them for that I will.  But I can't do that by tuning out from everything that's going on. 

No. Pre-2016 election, I was a fairly passive observer despite being well versed in the system and current events. Before Obama, I really didn't see THAT much difference between the parties, despite the fact that I'm fairy liberal. Regardless of who was in charge, it'd be business as usual with some minor tweaks on the periphery. The GOP's descent over the course of this decade, culminating with Trump, has really changed that though. They are so obviously dangerous to societal well being that I don't want to be oblivious to it.

And Bama Chick hit it right on the head. Checking out and not caring is the epitome of privilege. Not a coincidence that pretty much everyone with that take is a middle or upper class white person.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, F250 said:

Human free will doesn't exist. All of you are on a journey that has already been determined. There is no point in caring about something you have no control over. 

If my journey is the outcome of a deterministic process, so is my level of engagement and caring. And sanctimonious twattery. 

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If my journey is the outcome of a deterministic process, so is my level of engagement and caring. And sanctimonious twattery. 

Well, shit. This is correct and the same reason we have the annual aggy roller coaster.

The older I get, the more I see the same plays and the sameole flowchart reactions to statements x,y, and z.

At least football evolves ever so slightly.

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

I categorize people as readers and non-readers.

More often than not, the people who care are readers, and the people who don't care are non-readers.

There are exceptions, but this is pretty much how it is in America.

There are a whole lot more non-readers than there are readers.

True dat. 

The late Barbara Epstein kind of made the same point when she said that all literature is political (to paraphrase).

To care is to be political, and vice versa, is how I interpreted that.

Not only do most people not read, they don't even bother to watch good (passive) tv news. Fuck Fox News and those who use it to get their dose of news.

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference

https://www.google.com/search?q=serenity+now&safe=strict&client=ms-android-boost-us&prmd=visn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjH5PutyvDfAhUyTd8KHfbmBJ8Q_AUIFigC&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=cwc0boXeWSaakM

Serenity now!

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

But not caring is how we end up with Trump.  

Only on our side, and by our side I mean the side that wants better opportunities for all children of the world. 

The Trumpkins absolutely cared. 

In a way, caring too much makes us vulnerable to manipulation.  The trumpkins are the biggest snowflakes on the planet and it’s not entirely their fault when they’re bombarded with hate rhetoric and lies constantly.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

22 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

It is hilarious, in a really trashy way

ThatsTheJoke.gif

It's not like this is the first time something like this has happened in the White House. Andrew Jackson served up a giant wheel of cheese over a period of several days in the White House.

cheese.jpg

On 1/15/2019 at 11:17 AM, SubliminalHorn said:

... do you ever wish you just didn’t care that much? I have coworkers and friends that pay no attention to politics. They couldn’t give any details regarding what is happening. Nothing at all. ...

... Things got a little out of hand. It’s just this war and that lying son of a bitch Johnson ...