Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

4 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Where'd you get the water buffalo horn? My two are insanely heavy chewers and these are the only things that last, and I've never had one that smelled. We've also had luck with really thick rope toys.

I got them on Amazon. The other thing I didn't like about them, besides the smell, was how they splinter when he chews them. I am worried he'll eat a sharp piece and tear up his innards.

https://www.dogster.com/dog-food/avocado-soybean-unsaponifiables-big-benefits-for-dogs-osteoarthritis

This stuff is now scientifically believed to be the best thing available for arthritis for humans or dogs.

DSTR_1906_DogandFlowers-1.jpg
"Dozens of published studies attest to the benefits of avocado/soybean unsaponifiables. A 2009 study of 16 dogs with cruciate ligament rupture showed that treatment with ASUs significantly decreased damage to the cartilage matrix and reduced the loss of subchondral bone volume and calcified cartilage thickness. Other studies in dogs concluded that ASUs produce an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and tissue-building effect on articular chondrocytes, the cells found in healthy cartilage.

Perhaps the most impressive testament to the benefits of avocado/soybean unsaponifiables in people comes from a 2016 study published in the journal Reumatologia. The six-month-long study observed 4,822 patients treated for symptomatic OA of the knee in 99 centers across Poland. The patients were given one 300 mg capsule of ASU per day and no other medication. The 86.8 percent of patients who completed the study showed significant improvement in functional ability and a significant decrease in pain. They were also able to greatly reduce the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)."

Ivory soap is an example of an unsaponifiable

"In my practice as a canine nutritionist, I receive a lot of questions about the best supplements for dogs with osteoarthritis (OA). In the hopes of relieving their dog’s discomfort and restoring mobility, many clients drain their wallets on products that promise miracles but produce little benefit. I tend to be a “less is more” type of person and scale back to the products that are proven safe and effective, like avocado/soybean unsaponifiables.

I did this for my own dog, Chase, and as a German Shepherd Dog mix, he remained mobile long after most dogs of his breed, enjoying more than 17 healthy years. One of the products on Chase’s “mobility list” as he aged was avocado/soybean unsaponifiables. Let’s look at why I recommend avocado/soybean unsaponifiables as part of a joint support regimen.

• Like 1

Luna has gotten into a bad habit of stalking fearful dogs.

She can smell them before they come into the dog park and heads towards the gate like a tiger. Luckily she listens to me whan i tell her to stop and comes back to me, but she will have her eyes on the dog the entire time. 

One time i didnt catch her in time and she rolled the dog on its back and barked in its face. I yelled at her and she stopped. No physical harm done but worried it could escalate.

So far ive tryed redirection onto me , making her sit for a few minutes. Ill do this on walks as well when she lunges at squirrels, birds , etc.

Corrrecting any aggressive behavior.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Edited by MissingInAction

Ok dog people, I have a question. One of my pyrs managed to rip off one of her duclaws a little while ago. Breed standard is 2 per foot and they are supposed to remain intact so that’s why they weren’t removed beforehand. 

By the time we found it, the active bleeding had stopped, so I just wrapped it. She shows no signs of it even bothering her. 

Anyone had this happen before?  I’m wondering if a trip to the vet is required for any kind of repair or cleanup, or if it can just heal on its own. She’s due in for a rabies shot anyway, but I don’t need the vet charging me for cosmetic and unnecessary things. 

Little guy is at the beach for the summer with my wife and kids. I think he is going to be spoiled by the time they come back.

f9537544be37eb76bfa8fc56d15cd042.jpg

I drove him down for them. I cleared the entire back seat area for him and he rode the 14+ hours like this or upside down in my lap with the air blowing on him.
b0cb7db5131a8a9ed52d2bf44df01f2a.jpg

• Like 4

Called A&M about an issue with Blue. Vet called me back later in the day...

"While I have you on the phone, since we haven't been able to spay her yet, she has gone into heat, and I have a few questions."

"We don't really deal with many unaltered females, so I don't know much."

WTF?

Top vet school, eh?

fans GIF

Edited by Deej

10 minutes ago, Brew said:

Little guy is at the beach for the summer with my wife and kids. I think he is going to be spoiled by the time they come back.

f9537544be37eb76bfa8fc56d15cd042.jpg

I drove him down for them. I cleared the entire back seat area for him and he rode the 14+ hours like this or upside down in my lap with the air blowing on him.
b0cb7db5131a8a9ed52d2bf44df01f2a.jpg

Damn, little guy is a cutie. I'd spoil the shit out of him too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:
Damn, what a beautiful animal,, wow.

Well after grieving over Rocky for 2 years we're taking the plunge x2 say hello to Rambo Rock and Zach Starr62f4ef8a16af59b1f61300873c53fa35.jpgade0f8a65a748aac79a6f379a6571682.jpg

They've got some huge paw prints to fill, but I know they have it covered.  Feel like we're having kids again.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 7

Back to A&M today. Blue's numbers were the best they've ever been. She's off all her meds. If her numbers are still good next month, she's free and clear.

She's such a great dog. They kept her in back for three hours because everyone wanted to spend time with her.

19 minutes ago, sdm said:

Shooter it looks like you got double trouble there.

Absolutely.  Took them home and went back to Huntsville for work tomorrow.  Mrs Shooter seemed a little overwhelmed when I left, but when I called home I could tell she was head over heels in love with them.  Had to give me a rundown of every minute after I left.

• Like 1