Texas recruiting notes 2019

2 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

How much is scheme a factor in the recruitment of these defensive linemen?

I remember back when we took Malcom Brown from aggy because he preferred our 4-3 front to their 3 man front. The DL roles in the 4-3 are considered more attractive to prospects dreaming about the NFL. Now we run a 3 man front that is effective in games yet we seem to lose these battles to 4-3 teams

I think we'll be more multiple in our fronts this season, though you're right, it's definitely a consideration. I'm sure this is something Orlando has addressed to recruits concerned about it.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

How much is scheme a factor in the recruitment of these defensive linemen?

I remember back when we took Malcom Brown from aggy because he preferred our 4-3 front to their 3 man front. The DL roles in the 4-3 are considered more attractive to prospects dreaming about the NFL. Now we run a 3 man front that is effective in games yet we seem to lose these battles to 4-3 teams

That's was one of the reasons we missed on Max Wright. He didn't like our scheme. And what we wanted from him. 

6 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

None of those guys have yet been massive producers. I’m high on their chances to have good years, but you’re getting pretty ahead of yourself at this point.

We can agree on that. However, I feel better about our dline than all other units on the team. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bamboozled73 said:

If his 3 star players  (Hager, omenihu, Nelson) have performed like 4-5 star players, Giles is the least of our worries.  I want more assistant coaches like Giles. Developing players has been our problem the last 7-8 years. 

All three are now going to be seniors. None of them have gotten so much as a second-team All-Big 12 team spot to this point in their careers (edit: Hager got a 2nd-team spot in 2016 apparently, long before Giles came here). Our D-line last year was best at stopping the run and that was HUGELY due to Poona Ford. They're not pass-rushing stars and they're not truly substitutes for 4- and 5-star players. You are overselling their performance last year to compensate for Giles' recruiting struggles.

Edited by satyanash

Texas was 38th in sacks last year and Omenihu, Hager, and Jefferson lead the team with 4. 29% of the sacks were made by the 3 players mentioned above. To belittle their improvement in 1 year from Strong's coaching to Herman's is a retarded level fool's errand.

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

All three are now going to be seniors. None of them have gotten so much as a second-team All-Big 12 team spot to this point in their careers (edit: Hager got a 2nd-team spot in 2016 apparently, long before Giles came here). Our D-line last year was best at stopping the run and that was HUGELY due to Poona Ford. They're not pass-rushing stars and they're not truly substitutes for 4- and 5-star players. You are overselling their performance last year to compensate for Giles' recruiting struggles.

Was Poona expected to be the best DL in the conference in 2017? I do feel Giles deserves some credit for that.

I won't defend his recruiting, though.

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Texas was 38th in sacks last year and Omenihu, Hager, and Jefferson lead the team with 4. 29% of the sacks were made by the 3 players mentioned above. To belittle their improvement in 1 year from Strong's coaching to Herman's is a retarded level fool's errand.

Lulz. Omenihu and Hager each had 4. That’s nothing to write home about. Hager actually had 6 the year before when he got 2nd team all big 12 under strong. 

Giles seems to do a good job coaching DL but he’s not some miracle worker with unparalleled development acumen.

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Jefferson, eh? Want to remind me what position he plays? Or were you not talking to me?

Edited by satyanash

5 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Lulz. Omenihu and Hager each had 4. That’s nothing to write home about. Hager actually had 6 the year before when he got 2nd team all big 12 under strong. 

Giles seems to do a good job coaching DL but he’s not some miracle worker with unparalleled development acumen.

This is such a dumb take. We have plenty of tape of Giles actually doing a great job coaching from beyond last year as he was a great coach during his first stint here (see Okafor, Acho, Kindle, Orakpo, Crowder, Robison, etc). After he left, the DL was in rough shape for awhile. He comes back and they get back to being a strength of the team.

Belittle his recruiting all you want, but he's clearly one of the better coaches at developing talent on Herman's staff. 

Edited by GabrielsHorn
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

see Okafor, Acho, Kindle, Orakpo, Crowder, Robison, etc

Okafor and Kindle were both five-stars, FFS. Unless Giles actually starts landing this caliber of recruits again, comparing him now to him under Mack is apples to oranges.

Edited by satyanash

10 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Jefferson, eh? Want to remind me what position he plays? Or were you not talking to me?

I was pointing out who lead the team in sacks. Hager, Omenihu, and Jefferson did. Not too mention Orlando's defense is meant for the LBs and DBs to get sacks by disguising pressures and coverages. The DL is supposed to hold up the OL and allow the LBs to make plays. Any TOLs the DL gets is found money.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Okafor and Kindle were both five-stars, FFS. Unless Giles actually starts landing this caliber of recruits again, comparing him now to him under Mack is apples to oranges.

Way to discount the rest of the list and how they actually developed at UT under his coaching. Again, criticize his recruiting all you want and I think we are all in agreement that he needs another coach at DT to be the recruiting rainmaker, but he's a damn good coach. 

2 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Way to discount the rest of the list and how they actually developed at UT under his coaching. Again, criticize his recruiting all you want and I think we are all in agreement that he needs another coach at DT to be the recruiting rainmaker, but he's a damn good coach. 

No shit.

Let's not forget we had Hager the QB Killer at LB to start last year. It was one of those inexplicable depth chart moves after coach told us he did not watch film. Hager at LB, a bunch of garbage on the OL, Hughes being our captain and stud LB to be. Plus Locke and Jones at Safety were very inconsistent, Davis/Hall after Locke's injury.

That's a surprise, we usually nail OVs. Guess ND 100% sold his family on the academics on the first one and we didn't counter effectively enough.
Chalk up an early loss for Giles... again. (If it turns out he's ND bound)
I think we underestimated the Catholic connection from the very beginning. Some people send their kids to Catholic high schools because it's the best private near their home, some do it because they wouldn't have it any other way..
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

The Giles hate is absolutely ridiculous at this point. Everywhere Giles has been his defensive lines have been good and significantly improved. 

Houston's DL in '14: 119th in adjusted line yards and 37th in rushing defense. 

Houston' DL in '15 and '16 under Giles: 59th and 2nd in adjusted line yards. 8th and 4th in rushing defense. 

Also of note, Louisiana Tech's DL finished 4th in adjusted line yards the 1 year Giles was there. S&P stats don't go back as far as '13 in terms of adjusted line yards for DL, but I guarantee there was a significant improvement with Giles taking over in '14. 

Giles is a huge reason Herman had success at Houston. Houston became an elite DL under Giles and controlled the line of scrimmage in the run game. Giles is a damn good developer of talent. Matter of fact, Giles is probably the best coach on staff in terms of actual coaching ability. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 8

32 minutes ago, satyanash said:

We had Malcom Brown a few years back and could not stop the run. Poona Ford is good, but dline played like a cohesive unit for the first time in a while. 

I read this thread and I find myself flabbergasted by the rampant intellectual sloth. It’s mildly amusing and mildly depressing. 

Giles can simultaneously be a terrible recruiter and a solid coach. It’s not an either/or. 

Giles doesn’t need to be fired. Giles doesn’t need to be running point on DL targets. It’s not an either/or. 

Texas can develop 3 star talent with this defensive staff. Texas would kick ass if it could develop 4-5 star talent with this staff.  It’s not an either/or. 

Derek Warehime and Drew Mehringer fucking suck in every facet and shouldn’t still be on this staff. There’s no either/or here, those guys just suck and can go fuck themselves for drawing a paycheck at Texas. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Our D-line last year was best at stopping the run and that was HUGELY due to Poona Ford. 

Adjusted line yards for our defensive line with Poona prior to Giles: 63rd, 74th, 43rd. 

Adjusted line yards for our defensive line with Poona and Giles: 17th. 

Rushing defense with Poona prior to Giles: 76th, 112th, 61st. 

Rushing defense with Poona and Giles: 8th

Another brilliant take. Our rushing defense was average to below average the 3 years prior to Giles and Orlando. With Poona Ford. What do you think changed? I'm going to give you a hint.......Giles and Orlando are very good coaches. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 4

Giles is probably no worse than 4 slots down from the list of biggest issues with the coaching. Beck, Mehringer and Warehime are definitely net negatives. They might all be better recruiters but it is unlikely any of them will coach that talent at an acceptable level. At this point, I am not sure if Meekins has earned a spot above Giles on this list. 

I would think the reason to fire Giles would be if you could hire a guy who can develop and recruit better than him. That said I'll be pissed if he is shown the door before BMW, even if his replacement looks better on paper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

It’s also his job to identify talent in his designated area. He doesn’t get to simply coach defensive ends.

There's nothing simple about coaching defensive ends.  The one thing we should have learned from wandering the desert--which we're still doing--with solid recruiting classes, is that coaching matters.    

If we could replace Giles with someone like Larry Johnson from Ohio State, I would take that in a heartbeat. But that doesn't seem likely, so addressing the offensive coaching staff is probably the best way to allow us to address the defensive line recruiting issues.

1 hour ago, Bamboozled73 said:

We had Malcom Brown a few years back and could not stop the run. Poona Ford is good, but dline played like a cohesive unit for the first time in a while. 

Satya refuses to give Giles any credit. The '14 defensive line was much more talented than our DL last year and we were substantially worse against the run. 

'14 DL: Reed #146 composite recruit, Brown #9 composite recruit, Jackson #44 composite recruit, Davis #95 composite recruit. That DL finished 61st in rushing defense and 63rd in adjusted line yards. 

'17 DL: Roach #589 composite recruit, Omenihu #430 composite recruit, Nelson #830 composite recruit, and Ford #256 composite recruit. That DL finished 8th in rushing defense and 17th in adjusted line yards. 

Satya keeps talking about "talent" for why Giles had success here under Mack yet fails to realize Giles produced with a bunch of 3 stars last year. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Is Mensah an early enrollee? Wonder if there’s any chance he changes his mind if we have a special season.

There is absolutely no chance.  Zero.  If a meteor hit South Bend and Austin was the only city with viable food supplies and water, he would not come here.

1 hour ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Wasn't too mensa to have a God and academics kid OV on a weekend with one day devoted to Rapperpoolza.

He's talked a lot about how much he wants a fun college and to enjoy the full experience. The Catholic thing seems to play more with his parents.

9 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Giles is good at half his job. 

Sorry if I expect a bit more from someone making 400,000K a year. That’s fucking stupid he can make that much money and be absolutely that shitty at 50% of his job

Recruiting is easily more than half any position coach's job, in terms of focus, attention, and time spent.  This isn't the NFL.  

Whatever people want to say about Giles' position coaching acumen doesn't matter in reality.  With our defensive system, I would take an elite recruiter over an elite-as-a-DL coach every time.  Giles is middle of the road as a position coach, IMO.  Maybe Giles needs to get fired, maybe he doesn't - Herman has to, and now is apparently, accounting for his deficiencies on the trail.  

I also don't think he's a bad guy, but that's not the point. He's not kept up with what it takes to be even decent at the game of modern recruiting, whether that's just his personality, laziness, lack of attention to detail, he keeps forgetting his Twitter password, or understanding that a high level of activity on social media is a huge part of his job.  He shouldn't need to be reminded of shit like that over and over.

2 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Wasn't too mensa to have a God and academics kid OV on a weekend with one day devoted to Rapperpoolza.

I mean... It's not an either/or. I was a Catholic and academics kid (now they're trying to tell me that I'm an adult, but I refuse to acknowledge that) and I definitely enjoy music festivals, rap or otherwise. Not saying this def applies to him, but not all Catholic/Academics kids would shun the festival atmosphere

Edited by TheBryMan81
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Trace Ford shouldve been offered 2mos ago imo

And we should work on Zach Williams and Rian Davis. We can always circle back on Mensah when Notre Dame falters early in the season, their fans want to fire their coach, and the weather changes from beautiful to bone chilling cold.

Mensah parents remind me of Madzubukie(sp?) parents.. He wanted to flip from aggy to Texas, but his parents didn't want to hear any of that talk.

Notre Dame is still Notre Dame, best of luck if he decides to commit there but the staff should keep tabs on him.

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Mensah parents remind me of Madzubukie(sp?) parents.. He wanted to flip from aggy to Texas, but his parents didn't want to hear any of that talk.

Notre Dame is still Notre Dame, best of luck if he decides to commit there but the staff should keep tabs on him.

Notre Dame doesn't have many decommits, at least they don't relative to other programs. I wouldn't count on NaNa flipping. 

8 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Yeah, no.  That's aggie-like talk.  Not every player who prefers another school is secretly trying to get out of their commitment to come to UT.