Texas recruiting notes 2019

34 minutes ago, Fud said:

Defensively, he profiles as a linebacker who can play in space. Those aren't easy to find these days. 

He's a fucking stud that I hope we land.  I think he's a defensive player as well.  Anywhere from LB to the Joker position to "maybe" Safety??  Hell, I could see him blitzing off the edge as well.

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

He's a fucking stud that I hope we land.  I think he's a defensive player as well.  Anywhere from LB to the Joker position to "maybe" Safety??  Hell, I could see him blitzing off the edge as well.

I thought safety as well, but we're going to pretty loaded at that position so future Rover would work fine for me.

Just now, Machinator said:

I thought safety as well, but we're going to pretty loaded at that position so future Rover would work fine for me.

If he's really already 6'2, 210, I think you're a lot better off bulking him up to a LB.  He seems to have the frame for it. His movement skills as a LB would be elite. His movement skills as a S, not quite so much.

54 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

csb I have a cousin named Ty Robinson, coaches small town TX football now, as does his bro Bo Robinson. Bo just sent his son, Silas, to play at Arky (lame). 

I guess what this all means is that I should pencil this Ty Robinson into both our calculator and Arkansas calculator just to be safe 

At least Silas' teammate, Joshua Moore, wasn't lame. 

55 minutes ago, ousux said:

The thing is, the vibe I'm getting from Tongue (admittedly from 9.95ers who may not know what is really up) is that he's only considering the schools recruiting him as a WR. Is he that good at LB to take a chance on landing him as a "WR" and then trying to convert him to D against his will?

Too bad, if true. Wide receivers are a dime a dozen.   Agile linebackers are hard to come by. 

Too bad, if true. Wide receivers are a dime a dozen.   Agile linebackers are hard to come by. 
Who knows really, maybe he would prefer WR but isn't against playing LB. Like I said I'm just going by what some of the 9.95ers have said, don't know what the kid is really thinking..

IT

The amount of early offers going out around the state isn't necessarily doing Texas any favors, especially since many of them given out from schools like Alabama, LSU, and Georgia aren't committable. When one of those schools offers it makes players and their parents wonder why Texas hasn't offered.

Texas has to play by different rules because you're not going to see uncommittable in-state offers from this staff. Part of that is ethical, part of that is self-preservation with Texas high school coaches, and part of that is the staff just generally not being in a hurry to offer younger players.

The staff puts a high priority on program/culture fit. They want to take their time with evaluations. They want to gather as much information as possible. That means old injuries, conduct in the classroom, and potential pitfalls with family, trainers, or anyone else who might be involved in the process will be fully explored.

Another reason for their patience is, quite simply, they want the best players. Scipio has written about this, as will I next week, but the staff is casting a much wider net while at the same time keeping its offer number low, relatively speaking. At a time when offers are losing value, the goal is to retain the value of a Texas offer as much as possible.

The staff doesn't want players who will get them to 9-4 seasons. The goal is to win 12-13 games a year. This staff knows what guys like Ezekiel Elliott, Darron Lee, and Michael Thomas looked like as sophomores. It's guys like that -- no doubt talents -- they're looking for. Guys like Zachary Evans. If Texas offers a 2020 now it's a tell they think he's a potential star.

Internally the staff debates the pros and cons of all potential offers. If you want a kid to be offered you have to make the case for him. This also helps keep offers low.

On to some recruiting tidbits:

-- Stan Drayton was just in Florida visiting Noah Cain. Texas feels very good there and in a recruitment where most of the knowns are on the table, that's a good sign. Cain gives the staff great feedback. Texas still wants two running backs in this cycle. Nothing Texas does in this cycle will hurt with Evans. He's not afraid of competition in the least.

-- Mater Dei's Bru McCoy will be a very tough pull as @CaliHorniaBoy recently pointed out. He's likely headed to USC but the staff will stay on him throughout. He's told UT it will get an official visit. Right now Texas appears to be the second most likely destination. He's also warming to the idea of playing linebacker.

-- Texas just offered Alvin cornerback Marques Caldwell. Obviously this is a response to the 180 degree turn in the recruitment of Marcus Banks. Once Banks' mother went quiet on the phones out of nowhere it was time to look elsewhere. Caldwell has always coveted a Texas offer. My initial reaction is this would be like offering DaShaun White....but last spring. I'd be surprised if he didn't end up a Longhorn. He'll visit soon. Interestingly he knew this offer was coming. That means the staff has liked him for a while and this isn't a knee-jerk response.

-- There is still no real concern with DeMarvin Leal's recruitment. Texas has some allies on its side and he'll also very likely visit Alabama and Clemson. He's more likely to stay closer to home in the end, but those schools won't be speaking highly of A&M. Jason Washington is on the case and he's won some vicious recruitments, notably Anthony Cook's.

-- We don't expect Texas to move on from the core offensive line targets any time soon. Texas either feels like its leading or still in it for Branson Bragg, Tyler Johnson, Kenyon Green, and Javonne Shepherd. Herb Hand is going to be extremely patient with this group. Hand will be in Houston this upcoming week.

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Reveal hidden contents

The amount of early offers going out around the state isn't necessarily doing Texas any favors, especially since many of them given out from schools like Alabama, LSU, and Georgia aren't committable. When one of those schools offers it makes players and their parents wonder why Texas hasn't offered.

Texas has to play by different rules because you're not going to see uncommittable in-state offers from this staff. Part of that is ethical, part of that is self-preservation with Texas high school coaches, and part of that is the staff just generally not being in a hurry to offer younger players.

The staff puts a high priority on program/culture fit. They want to take their time with evaluations. They want to gather as much information as possible. That means old injuries, conduct in the classroom, and potential pitfalls with family, trainers, or anyone else who might be involved in the process will be fully explored.

Another reason for their patience is, quite simply, they want the best players. Scipio has written about this, as will I next week, but the staff is casting a much wider net while at the same time keeping its offer number low, relatively speaking. At a time when offers are losing value, the goal is to retain the value of a Texas offer as much as possible.

The staff doesn't want players who will get them to 9-4 seasons. The goal is to win 12-13 games a year. This staff knows what guys like Ezekiel Elliott, Darron Lee, and Michael Thomas looked like as sophomores. It's guys like that -- no doubt talents -- they're looking for. Guys like Zachary Evans. If Texas offers a 2020 now it's a tell they think he's a potential star.

Internally the staff debates the pros and cons of all potential offers. If you want a kid to be offered you have to make the case for him. This also helps keep offers low.

On to some recruiting tidbits:

-- Stan Drayton was just in Florida visiting Noah Cain. Texas feels very good there and in a recruitment where most of the knowns are on the table, that's a good sign. Cain gives the staff great feedback. Texas still wants two running backs in this cycle. Nothing Texas does in this cycle will hurt with Evans. He's not afraid of competition in the least.

-- Mater Dei's Bru McCoy will be a very tough pull as @CaliHorniaBoy recently pointed out. He's likely headed to USC but the staff will stay on him throughout. He's told UT it will get an official visit. Right now Texas appears to be the second most likely destination. He's also warming to the idea of playing linebacker.

-- Texas just offered Alvin cornerback Marques Caldwell. Obviously this is a response to the 180 degree turn in the recruitment of Marcus Banks. Once Banks' mother went quiet on the phones out of nowhere it was time to look elsewhere. Caldwell has always coveted a Texas offer. My initial reaction is this would be like offering DaShaun White....but last spring. I'd be surprised if he didn't end up a Longhorn. He'll visit soon. Interestingly he knew this offer was coming. That means the staff has liked him for a while and this isn't a knee-jerk response.

-- There is still no real concern with DeMarvin Leal's recruitment. Texas has some allies on its side and he'll also very likely visit Alabama and Clemson. He's more likely to stay closer to home in the end, but those schools won't be speaking highly of A&M. Jason Washington is on the case and he's won some vicious recruitments, notably Anthony Cook's.

-- We don't expect Texas to move on from the core offensive line targets any time soon. Texas either feels like its leading or still in it for Branson Bragg, Tyler Johnson, Kenyon Green, and Javonne Shepherd. Herb Hand is going to be extremely patient with this group. Hand will be in Houston this upcoming week.

Hope he is correct on the oline part. 

Nothing groundbreaking, but TFB maintains that we're in good shape for Jake Smith and that USC is losing confidence heading into his OV there this weekend. They also think Texas will be a major player for that safety we offered from Arizona, Noa Pola-Gates, and that he will visit in late June.

Edited by Machinator

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Nothing groundbreaking, but TFB maintains that we're in good shape for Jake Smith and that USC is losing confidence heading into his OV there this weekend. They also think Texas will be a major player for that safety we offered from Arizona, Noa Pola-Gates, and that he will visit in late June.

Watched some of Pola-Gates's hudl and he lines up at Corner a lot.  Real physical player.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think Pola-Gates is elite 

From what I can tell, Pola-Gates has a ton of USC connections, including being cousins with Troy Polamalu, but they haven't recruited him hard; they have a lot of DBs on the depth chart and might not be taking a big DB class. While it's difficult to tell from the outside who Bama prioritizes, they seem to really like Pola-Gates, and they're recruiting him at corner. He also has some family in Austin.

To me, this one is USC's if they want him, and if not, then a Texas vs Bama battle 

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

tenor.gif

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think Pola-Gates is elite 

From what I can tell, Pola-Gates has a ton of USC connections, including being cousins with Troy Polamalu, but they haven't recruited him hard; they have a lot of DBs on the depth chart and might not be taking a big DB class. While it's difficult to tell from the outside who Bama prioritizes, they seem to really like Pola-Gates, and they're recruiting him at corner. He also has some family in Austin.

To me, this one is USC's if they want him, and if not, then a Texas vs Bama battle 

I think all the Bama' picks are coming from when he attended Bama' Jr. Day and named Bama' his leader (it's on his 247 page).

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Antwan Godley was 5-11 225 in college and was dominant. Tongue has a chance to be a WR.

They’re happy to take Tongue and let him play WR. It’s pretty risk for them. If he’s good, he stays at WR as a big target. If he’s a WR bust, he projects incredibly well at LB. 

Adimora and Smith will both be longhorn commits before the end of June, likely within the next couple of weeks. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

They’re happy to take Tongue and let him play WR. It’s pretty risk for them. If he’s good, he stays at WR as a big target. If he’s a WR bust, he projects incredibly well at LB. 

Adimora and Smith will both be longhorn commits before the end of June, likely within the next couple of weeks. 

While you're giving out free info, any idea on Zach Williams or Pola-Gates?

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT

I wonder if someone on staff needs to do a better job of proactively explaining this to recruits, potential recruits, and parents.

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

I wonder if someone on staff needs to do a better job of proactively explaining this to recruits, potential recruits, and parents. 

We have a pretty excellent recruiting staff, Mehringer aside. High school athletes are just kinda cocky and dumb.

Edited by texifornia

2 hours ago, Scholz said:

"Once Banks' mother went quiet on the phones out of nowhere it was time to look elsewhere."

Nothing $$$trange about that at all.

That is exactly my first instinct.  As a parent you don’t ghost the entire coaching staff especially guys like Carrington assisting.  It’s 100% hush money.  

• Like 1

Right now it feels like our class is going to be like 75% OOS this year

9 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I would rather that than take jags just because they're instate.  Jimbo's getting the first year bump (plus some peripheral stuff) so Herman needs to make sure we don't suffer talent wise just because we have some notion that we should sign a certain percentage of instate players.  

7 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I would rather that than take jags just because they're instate.  Jimbo's getting the first year bump (plus some peripheral stuff) so Herman needs to make sure we don't suffer talent wise just because we have some notion that we should sign a certain percentage of instate players.  

Herman just needs to win.

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Does UT have shot with five-star DL?

Over/under 1.5 commits before the end of May? -CharlieSkrong

EJ: I wouldn’t bet. I like the line, to be honest. I think you could see one or two before the month is over. Obviously, it’s been a nice month for Texas so far, landing Brayden Liebrock, Tre Watson and Kenyatta Watson II. The Longhorns should continue to build momentum this summer.

Mike: I'd probably take the under. I think there's a possibility Texas could get one more, but I believe the Longhorns are in a better position to capitalize in the summer with some out of state prospects. June and July should see some activity, but I think the bulk of this class might be built during the fall.

What happened with the five-star DT from Hawaii (don't want to try to spell his name, haha)? We still in it for a visit or has he moved on? - waterboie

EJ: That would be Faatui Tuitele. Texas is in the mix and could get an official visit this fall. The Longhorns have been working extremely hard on him and staffer Jake Langi is a secret weapon in the recruitment of Polynesian players. Tuitele is actually getting ready to release his Top 5, and I believe Texas is in a position to make the cut.

Mike: I think Texas is still in the mix there, but he attends the same high school that Tua Tagoviloa went to. That helps Alabama in their pursuit, and I believe the Crimson Tide are the favorite at this time. Tuitele enjoyed his visit to Texas during the spring, and the Longhorns have a Polynesian recruiting weapon in Jake Langi.

In Jeff's article on DeMarvin Leal, he mentioned Texas was recruiting him as a 4i end. With Texas only having two other offers out at DT — Sopsher and Tuitele — is Texas thinking that Leal could slide inside in a couple years or are they only going after a true DT if they can land one of the Top 2 this cycle? -- Hookem777

EJ: Right now, it looks like Texas is focused is taking more athletic defensive linemen. Landing Keondre Coburn last cycle filled that need. Of course, Texas would happily take the big two. As far as Leal goes, I think he stays at 4i. He’s so quick for his size and plays with violent hands.

Mike: I think the staff feels good about what they got last year at DT, and I think that T'Vondre Sweat is a guy who eventually moves inside. Leal could probably play nose at some point, but he's such a good fit as a 4i. Guys who are that size and move that well are pretty uncommon.

Any info on Dallas Warmack, trad transfer OL from Alabama? He has two years left and is visiting Oregon next weekend. But he has followed Herb Hand and Bryan Carrington on Twitter. -- ajfranz95

EJ: Texas is evaluating Warmack and other grad transfers. Right now, there is nothing substantial to report, but he could turn into a target depending on how things go at Oregon go this weekend.

Mike: I believe there is some interest here. The Longhorns have shown a willingness to engage with grad transfers, and there is a connection with Hand. I think Texas is looking for as much help as it can find on the offensive line, and Warmack certainly fits that profile.

UT seemed to be in good position with Chris Steele a few months back, and now it appears that Texas didn't make it into his first cut. What happened here? - VilleSide

EJ: This has been a weird recruitment in a class full of weird recruitments. I talked to Steele and his father this week, and this one isn’t over just yet. There were some communication issues that are being worked out. Jason Washingtonhas been in contact over the last 48 hours.

Mike: Part of it was miscommunication, and part of it has to do with limited official visits during this timeframe. EJ saw Steele this week, and I've been in communication as well. I think Texas can get back in it, because Chris and his family have a lot of respect for Jason Washington.

Outside of UT coaches, who do you think is the best recruiter in the Big 12? - uthaas

EJ: I think Cale Gundy and Kerry Cooks do a good job at Oklahoma. Gundy is currently the top recruiter in the Big 12 this cycle and has landed highly touted prospects like EJ Ndoma-Ogar, Theo Wease and Arjei Henderson. I’ve had a number of defensive back recruits tell me they really like Cooks.

Mike: I've got a lot of respect for Zarnell Fitch at TCU. I think he does a great job identifying, recruiting and developing defensive line guys. Lincoln Riley has proven to be a formidable recruiter as a head coach along with his guys like Cale Gundy and Tim Kish.

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

In addition to Smith and Adimora, Wiley is tentatively announcing next weekend 

ARE YOU TELLING ME I'M GOING TO HAVE TO BE ON PINS AND NEEDLES FOR THE NEXT GOT DAM WEEK STARING THROUGH MY FINGERS AT THE TWITTERS PRAYING I DONT SEE A TCU OFFER POP UP ON WILEY'S PAGE?!?!?!

tenor.gif?itemid=3482842

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Which should have been pressed after the 2005 championship. Texas kids are very good, but when the competition is this fierce, and aggy is cheating their ass off again, looking OOS is the smart play. Plus, we have national recruiters in Hand, Orlando, Drayton, and Beck.

2 hours ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

That is exactly my first instinct.  As a parent you don’t ghost the entire coaching staff especially guys like Carrington assisting.  It’s 100% hush money.  

Felt this way late last year when they got randoms to visit and commit.