Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Howe article on the offer to Akporoghene ::

With Texas yet to get on the board with an offensive line commitment in the 2019 class, co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Herb Hand continues to leave no stone unturned looking for quality prospects. Hand’s latest offer, which went out on Wednesday, was extended to a lineman at one of the nation’s powerhouse prep program.

IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.) tackle Chris Akporoghene is the latest linemen to receive an offer from Hand and the Longhorns. The 6-foot-4, 290-pound prospect posted about his offer on Twitter on Wednesday afternoon.

“Blessed and humbled to receive an offer from the university [sic] of Texas,” Akporoghene wrote.

Akporoghene’s story is an interesting one. Approximately three years ago, Akporoghene moved from Nigeria to the United States in order to pursue college opportunities, landing at The King’s Academy in Seymour, Tenn. Earlier this spring, Akporoghene transferred to IMG and the move has paid off in terms of the caliber of the school’s recruiting him now that he’s at a must-see location for college coaches during the spring evaluation period.

Since the end of January, Akporoghene’s offer list has grown to include the likes of Michigan, Miami, Virginia Tech, Nebraska and most recently Arkansas. Approaching 30 offers, Akporoghene’s top suitor appears to be Oregon (the only 247Sports Crystal Ball pick on Akporoghene’s profile is in favor of the Ducks).

Akporoghene’s offer list looks much better than what his national ranking indicates (No. 1,137 overall nationally according to the 247Sports Composite). Akporoghene has yet to take any official visits.

The Texas offer was extended to Akporoghene on a day when the Longhorns were set to visit two of their top offensive line targets. Hand was in the Houston area on Wednesday and was scheduled to make a school stop to check on four-star Houston North Forest tackle Javonne Shepherd before making his way to the Conroe Oak Ridge spring game to check on five-star offensive tackle Tyler Johnson.

Along with Shepherd and Johnson, Texas remains in pursuit of Crandall’s Branson Bragg (the nation’s No. 3-ranked center according to the Composite). The Longhorns are also still actively recruiting five-star prospect Kenyon Green of Humble Atascocita, four-star tackles Stacey Wilkins (Camden, Ark./Fairview) and Jack Buford (St. Louis, Mo./Lutheran North) and Tampa (Fla.) Plant four-star guard William Putnam.

The 2018 cycle saw Texas sign five offensive linemen, four of whom were high school prospects. Tom Herman told Horns247 recently that all four of the prep signees — Junior Angilau, Rafiti Ghirmai, Christian Jones and Reese Moore — are expected to arrive on campus for summer workouts with the rest of the 2018 signees who have yet to enroll.

The Longhorns are currently set to lose four offensive linemen over the next two years, beginning with the departures of rising seniors Elijah Rodriguez and Patrick Vahe. Denzel Okafor and Zach Shackelford are entering their true junior seasons in 2018.

On 5/22/2018 at 3:33 PM, Equinox said:

Peyton Powell was likely the top target, but as stated downthread they were also there for OT Landon Peterson (6' 6" 265#) and possibly LB/DE Matt Jones (6' 3" 227#). 

Powell and Peterson have a shitload of D1 offers. Powell has offers from Ohio State, Arkansas, Virginia, Baylor, SMU, Georgia Tech, Texas Tech, Washington State, etc. Most as an athlete/wr/db, but Virginia and G Tech are looking at him at QB. Louisville was at the spring game and I thought they had offered as well, but I don't see them on the list.

Peterson has offers from most of the same places as Powell, plus others like TCU and Colorado. I'd heard if he was offered by TCU he'd jump on it but so far no word. To be honest he's probably the second  best lineman on the team but he has that size that cannot be coached.

Jones is lagging behind the other two on offers and likely will. I doubt seriously Texas would offer, but he will make someone a hell of a football player.

Powell received an offer at QB from Nebraska today.

6 hours ago, golfclap said:

Howe article on the offer to Akporoghene ::

Hide contents

With Texas yet to get on the board with an offensive line commitment in the 2019 class, co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Herb Hand continues to leave no stone unturned looking for quality prospects. Hand’s latest offer, which went out on Wednesday, was extended to a lineman at one of the nation’s powerhouse prep program.

IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.) tackle Chris Akporoghene is the latest linemen to receive an offer from Hand and the Longhorns. The 6-foot-4, 290-pound prospect posted about his offer on Twitter on Wednesday afternoon.

“Blessed and humbled to receive an offer from the university [sic] of Texas,” Akporoghene wrote.

Akporoghene’s story is an interesting one. Approximately three years ago, Akporoghene moved from Nigeria to the United States in order to pursue college opportunities, landing at The King’s Academy in Seymour, Tenn. Earlier this spring, Akporoghene transferred to IMG and the move has paid off in terms of the caliber of the school’s recruiting him now that he’s at a must-see location for college coaches during the spring evaluation period.

Since the end of January, Akporoghene’s offer list has grown to include the likes of Michigan, Miami, Virginia Tech, Nebraska and most recently Arkansas. Approaching 30 offers, Akporoghene’s top suitor appears to be Oregon (the only 247Sports Crystal Ball pick on Akporoghene’s profile is in favor of the Ducks).

Akporoghene’s offer list looks much better than what his national ranking indicates (No. 1,137 overall nationally according to the 247Sports Composite). Akporoghene has yet to take any official visits.

The Texas offer was extended to Akporoghene on a day when the Longhorns were set to visit two of their top offensive line targets. Hand was in the Houston area on Wednesday and was scheduled to make a school stop to check on four-star Houston North Forest tackle Javonne Shepherd before making his way to the Conroe Oak Ridge spring game to check on five-star offensive tackle Tyler Johnson.

Along with Shepherd and Johnson, Texas remains in pursuit of Crandall’s Branson Bragg (the nation’s No. 3-ranked center according to the Composite). The Longhorns are also still actively recruiting five-star prospect Kenyon Green of Humble Atascocita, four-star tackles Stacey Wilkins (Camden, Ark./Fairview) and Jack Buford (St. Louis, Mo./Lutheran North) and Tampa (Fla.) Plant four-star guard William Putnam.

The 2018 cycle saw Texas sign five offensive linemen, four of whom were high school prospects. Tom Herman told Horns247 recently that all four of the prep signees — Junior Angilau, Rafiti Ghirmai, Christian Jones and Reese Moore — are expected to arrive on campus for summer workouts with the rest of the 2018 signees who have yet to enroll.

The Longhorns are currently set to lose four offensive linemen over the next two years, beginning with the departures of rising seniors Elijah Rodriguez and Patrick Vahe. Denzel Okafor and Zach Shackelford are entering their true junior seasons in 2018.

Wth does he mean by “rising seniors”?

26 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

It means a junior going into their senior year.

People use it during the spring/summer to differentiate between players who are going to be seniors and players who are seniors right now and are about to graduate. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

When my grandfather was about 98 or barely 99, he told my brother (with a bit of pride in his voice)- 

"You know, sometimes I still get excited."

Perhaps that's what he's talking about.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

When my grandfather was about 98 or barely 99, he told my brother (with a bit of pride in his voice)- 

"You know, sometimes I still get excited."

Perhaps that's what he's talking about.

Guess we are back to grown man boner talk

37 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If you think this is fun, wait until the month-long dead period from June 25 to July 24.

It’s almost uncanny but I’ll be in Europe for almost these exact days. It’s a real shame that you hillbillies will have be here sorting EJ’s frappuccino choices and Bryan Carrington’s 🤫 counts without me. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

It’s almost uncanny but I’ll be in Europe for almost these exact days. It’s a real shame that you hillbillies will have be here sorting EJ’s frappuccino choices and Bryan Carrington’s 🤫 counts without me.  

You're going to Europe in mid-summer? Enjoy the tour groups and small American children everywhere.

Just now, texifornia said:

You're going to Europe in mid-summer? Enjoy the tour groups and small American children everywhere.

I will unapologetically have 4 American children with me everywhere, sir. And my wife is from there so we’re not going to be in the big cities constantly. I’ll PM you all of pics of our various travels. You’ll love it. 

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I will unapologetically have 4 American children with me everywhere, sir. And my wife is from there so we’re not going to be in the big cities constantly. I’ll PM you all of pics of our various travels. You’ll love it. 

european wife?  nicely done.  I love accents. 

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They don't have the internets in Europe?