Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

51 minutes ago, Babytime said:

Worth another watch.

I was there that day, in the group of burnt orange. Until the last five minutes or so of the game, there were almost no Kansas fans nearby. Once they thought they were going to win, they surrounded the Texas fans and began to talk shit and they were jingling their keys. I am positive hundreds or even thousands of people who hadn’t been at the game heard the score and came to see the finish. 

It sucked. I truly thought I was going to be driving all that way home after a loss. Tony Jeffery played a great game, but it seemed like he was the only guy who showed up.

Then Vince broke Nick Reid’s ankles. And TJ broke all of Kansas’s hearts. They have never recovered. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I was there that day, in the group of burnt orange. Until the last five minutes or so of the game, there were almost no Kansas fans nearby. Once they thought they were going to win, they surrounded the Texas fans and began to talk shit and they were jingling their keys. I am positive hundreds or even thousands of people who hadn’t been at the game heard the score and came to see the finish. 

It sucked. I truly thought I was going to be driving all that way home after a loss. Tony Jeffery played a great game, but it seemed like he was the only guy who showed up.

Then Vince broke Nick Reid’s ankles. And TJ broke all of Kansas’s hearts. They have never recovered. 

hqdefault.jpg

"Bring me VY and the Wookiee"

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

Best hope is that getting a free front-row seat to Texas-USC is enticing to him.

Hashtag GodsPlan.  Yeah right, like whatever God around gives a damn about if some high school kid goes to school in Arkansas or Oklahoma.  

Man the level of ego most people seem to walk around with is just craziness.

• Like 2

BTW, regarding my loathing of Holland, I’ve been clear with it here and on Shaggy. I called him out for being lazy with his takes and he hid behind a moderator tag and whined after we got into it on the thread and I handed him his head. He locked the thread and then started another one calling me names for being a meanie and not valuing his “work”, which more or less means I didn’t kiss his ass for shoddy work. He’s one of these chasers in life who mistakes doing a lot of shit for “hard work” which he conflates with actually being successful and adding value to the world. 

I’d happily go up with him here, in real life or wherever he doesn’t get to hide behind a fucking mod handle. That said, it is nice to know that I am currently taking up space in his head rent free. 

The dude he went to dinner with or whatever was apparently SLX, btw. For those who know us, we’re, umm, not quite in the same realm of behaviors or lifestyles.

• Like 6

EJ after dark: Intel on Texas CB commit Caldwell

— I spoke to one of the top defensive back trainers in the country and asked him about new Texas commit Marques Caldwell. He told me the three-star prospect has a lot of natural ability from a coverage standpoint. The trainer praised Caldwell’s breaks and instincts. He added that what Caldwell lacks in technique, he makes up for with his size, length and upside. Remember, this was a down year at corner, so landing a high ceiling guy like Caldwell after a historic secondary class is definitely a win for the Longhorns.

— There have been a lot of questions in regards to four-star Mansfield Legacy cornerback Jeffery Carter. With the aforementioned Caldwell and Kenyatta Watson II already on board, Texas just hasn’t been making a huge push here. I feel like Alabama and Texas A&M are making him a bigger priority at this time. With all of this said, Texas could try to make a run at him during the season.

— Four-star 2020 Lancaster cornerback Lorando Johnson plans to make a visit to Texas on July 27. Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington has been in contact with Johnson, and he is a guy the Longhorns could offer down the line. Johnson holds a handful of P5 offers and has high interest in UT.

— Two other 2020 cornerback prospects that Texas is closely evaluating are Waco Connally’s Korie Black and Fort Bend Marshall’s Avery Helm. Both camped at Texas this summer and impressed the staff. They are both worth keeping an eye on moving forward.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

BTW, regarding my loathing of Holland, I’ve been clear with it here and on Shaggy. I called him out for being lazy with his takes and he hid behind a moderator tag and whined after we got into it on the thread and I handed him his head. He locked the thread and then started another one calling me names for being a meanie and not valuing his “work”, which more or less means I didn’t kiss his ass for shoddy work. He’s one of these chasers in life who mistakes doing a lot of shit for “hard work” which he conflates with actually being successful and adding value to the world. 

I’d happily go up with him here, in real life or wherever he doesn’t get to hide behind a fucking mod handle. That said, it is nice to know that I am currently taking up space in his head rent free. 

The dude he went to dinner with or whatever was apparently SLX, btw. For those who know us, we’re, umm, not quite in the same realm of behaviors or lifestyles.

Lulz at being mistaken for SLX. 

And given EJ’s love of frappachinos and cars, hanging out with SLX seems so fitting. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

OU experts, is there any chance the Sooners pass or slow play Wilkins because of transcript concerns? 

I know that looks hilarious on its face, but I’m sure they have some nice options on their OL Bog Board. 

I'm far from an expert.  The only other tackle that has any noise around him this year is Jonah Tauanu'u, and I'd have to imagine they'd take both, but not a third OT.

Although, someone did mention that Kenyon Green might be at the BBQ in two weeks, so maybe they're letting Wilkins know that if he doesn't climb aboard, they'll put the all-out press on Green?

Pure speculation.

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/07/open-post-weekend-july-13th-july-15th/

– As most of you know, Joe T. Robinson (AR) DE Zach Williams made his commitment to Arkansas last week.

He was pretty much down to Arkansas, Texas, Oregon State, TCU, and Louisville. He had taken official visits to Oregon State, Louisville, and TCU and an unofficial visit to Arkansas. Texas was likely to get an official visit from Williams. We talked about how his dad played at Arkansas, but there wasn’t really much pressure to stay home.

That seemed to change somewhat late in the process, but it sounded more like Williams wanted to stay home. Continuing on his father’s legacy and staying in state was something that Arkansas HC Chad Morris really sold Williams on and it seemed to work. One thing to note is that Williams still has two official visits left if he wants to take them, so Texas could get back in with him. Though I wouldn’t bet on it right now.

Texas currently has two DE commits, from T’Vondre Sweat and Peter Mpagi. I feel like they sit in a very good spot with Mansfield Legacy (TX) DE Taurean Carter. I really liked Williams upside as he is only 6’4 225 pounds and looks like he can add a lot of good weight. Though I think Texas should be fine in 2019 when it comes to DE prospects. – (Andrew)

1 hour ago, TheFlagship said:

Does anyone have a recap on remaining targets? I’m way behind and it’s been a little tougher to follow this year with all the OOS prospects (good for us, bad for me) and early OVs. 

We have 13 commits now, so we’ll take another what 10-12? 

QB - nothing to see here with Roschon locked in.

RB - Main targets are Cain and Sanders. Cain is a battle between Texas, LSU, and Georiga right now, while everybody wants Sanders (but Alabama is the favorite). We'll get fall OVs from both. If we miss on both we might push for Glass out of Katy.

WR - Higgins changes his mind weekly on what school he likes. Best case is that we get him to push his decision back from August and sell him on 2018 success and improved WR production. Marcus Washington likes Ohio State but he's supposed to visit Texas for the first time later this month. Dylan Wright will decide after the season, and he's pretty wide open right now. Other guys such as Jaylen Ellis and Langston Anderson are secondary targets for now.

TE - we're done here.

OL - Shepherd likes Texas but we have to recruit him all the way to signing day. After that it's a bit of a mystery. Other than maybe Andrew Coker (TCU commit), there's a good chance the rest of our OL commits have not been offered yet.

DL - Taurean Carter decides in October as of right now; he likes Texas. Keep pushing for Leal. Hope that Jermaine Johnson pushes his decision back (but it's probably going to be Georgia regardless). Wait for late bloomers like last cycle.

LB - also a bit of a mystery. There are a few good OOS guys who like Texas but we probably aren't leading with any of them right now - Tufono, Rian Davis, Cooper. Looks like we're going to wait on Gbenda's senior season before deciding to make a push. Also possible that we find some in-state guy with a decent projection, like Zach Zimos.

DB - Catalon says he's deciding after the season. Cine still has fall OVs to take but we're in a decent spot right now. Noa Pola-Gates out of Arizona is visiting later this month but he likes Bama and Bama probably likes him. We're done at cornerback unless some elite guy like Stingley comes around.

ATH - Bru McCoy has a spot until NSD and likes us quite a bit, but it's going to be tough to beat out USC. If Georgia doesn't prioritize Tongue and LSU decides not to offer (or waits too long), he's ours.

We're taking 25 almost assuredly, possibly more.

• Like 4

I remember on the shag when SLX disappeared last fall after Maryland, and I looked at his profile one day.  It showed that he was still active, but had just been posting his long-ass tirades on the volleyball boards.  Probably best to let him go.

giphy.gif

IT

Despite recruiting being a bit quiet, we do have the build up to the late July recruiting event that has historically been a boon to UT's class efforts, dating back to Charlie Strong's initial event in the Summer of 2014. 

Justin and Joe will also descend on DFW for a talent-laden camp. 

STATE OF RECRUITING 

The Texas staff has been prepping the guest list for its second event in as many months. A couple teaser names include a trio from Zona - Jake Smith (Scottsdale, AZ - Notre Dame Prep) returning to Austin for the first time since his commitment, Noa Pola Gates (Gilbert, AZ - Williams Field HS) who will make his first trip to Texas and has the Horns in his top group of schools, Kelee Ringo (Scottsdale, AZ - Saguaro HS) who might be the nation's best cornerback in 2020 and who plays for the same program Tim Beck once led. Add 2021 defensive end Landyn Watson (Hutto, staff prioritized him at camp) who is a name to remember that we discussed in the Scoop, 2020 cornerback Lorando Johnson (Lancaster) and perhaps most importantly, wide receiver Marcus Washington (St. Louis, MO - Trinity Catholic HS) who we watched last week at The Opening.

We'll have a much more comprehensive list over the next couple weeks. Expect many more names to materialize.

Under Armour/PRIME 21 is holding its camp on Saturday at Trinity Christian in Cedar Hill. It's mainly an opportunity to see the best 2020-2021 prospects in the region, but also guys from Florida, California, and Louisiana. Here’s who I’ll be looking at this weekend.

DB Xavion Alford (Shadow Creek) 2020: The teammate of 2020 stud Alec Bryant is one of many FBS talents at the new school. Alford is good, but I want to see how good.

DB Brian Blades Jr (St Thomas Aquinas) 2021: If his last name is Blades and he's from Dade County, he's going to 2 Live U. It's like a state law.

DB Lewis Cine (Trinity Christian) 2019: The lone senior on the Prime 21 roster, probably because he attends the school hosting the event. He's a priority for Craig Naivar as the safety coach tries to land his second straight ridiculous haul. After a Summer of visits, I'd like to see where he stands with Texas and his recruitment. Signs are favorable as of now.

DB Tevin Griffey (Dr Phillips, Orlando) 2020: All I know is if I see his father, Ken Griffey Jr, I'm going fanboy by rapping to him.

DB Lorando Johnson (Lancaster) 2020: It's been a few years since coach Chris Gilbert had a stud like Johnson. Maybe Omar Manning. He's a little on the short side, but makes up for it with dynamic athleticism. He's visiting Austin soon too.

DB Jaylon Jones (Cibolo Steele) 2020: While most feel Dwight McGlothern is the state's top cover corner, his future might be safety. That means Jones is my top guy at CB. He's visited Texas a few times and I anticipate many more. Of course Ohio State offered.

DB RJ Mickens (Southlake Carroll) 2020: One of the state's best regardless of position, the A&M legacy can lock you down. Everyone assumes he's College Station bound, but watch out for OU.

DB Elias Ricks (Mater Dei) 2020: If Ringo is the best corner on the west coast, Ricks is No. 2. He earned an Opening invite and subsequent Texas offer last week. Texas wants him on campus before the season starts.

DB Shilo Sanders (Trinity Christian) 2019: One of two of Deion Sanders' kids at this event. Texas isn't interested.

DB Jerrin Thompson (Lufkin) 2020: The ETX safety leads a super-talented Lufkin group into 2018. He's got some nice, early offers including OU last week, but coach Naivar is on the case. 

DB Chris Thompson Jr (Duncanville) 2020: The nation's top safety will make the 20-minute drive to Cedar Hill to show everyone why he's No. 1 in the nation for 2020. Texas looks good here. Real good.

DB Joel Williams (Madison Prep) 2020: The plus+ athlete and Texas target has plans on seeing Austin at some point. UT likes him as a defensive back, which is where he sees himself, but this kid will be tough to pull from LSU. Plays at Malcolm Roach's alma mater.

LB Kendrick Blackshire (Horn) 2021: This kid is a real lineback, with real instincts and ability to thrive in a spread-happy CFB landscape. Tackling machine is a straight up dog who will turn your lights out. He's an offer.

QB Malik Hornsby (Houston Austin) 2020: Recognize the name? Yeah, Hornsby will be at Cedar Hill throwing BBs on Saturday. I really hope his entourage isn't there, but I have my doubts. I'll catch up with the kid Inside Texas knew about before most colleges.

QB Brendon Lewis (Melissa) 2020: His brother, Kennedy, just committed to TCU weeks after a Texas offer. Brendon looked great at State 7v7 and has a nice game. Dual-threat that stays in the pocket often.

QB Shadeur Sanders (Trinity Christian) 2020: Deion's other participant, Shadeur actually visited UT in the Spring. That's probably as close at the Horns will get with the talented passer from 2020.

QB Ken Seals (Weatherford) 2020: While Sanders displays elite athletic traits, Seals is the guy I'd take of the two DFW area dudes. He's seen a lot of schools this off-season, and garnered some nice offers.

RB Zachary Evans (North Shore) 2020: The best wants to be around the best. After he missed the Opening last week, we're eager to see the best running back the state has produced this decade.

RB Ty Jordan (West Mesquite) 2020: Under-the-radar, sorta, Jordan has elite speed and is well built. The crop of in-state running backs for 2020 is really deep. Jordan is one reason.

RB Jase McClellan (Aledo) 2020: The OU commit is another talented workhorse in the state. 

RB Seth McGowan (Mesquite Poteet) 2020: McGowan is another guy I'd love to see Texas take - with Evans - in 2020's cycle. Hails from the Land of Malik, Seth is big and fast at around 6-foot-1, 205 pounds. Oh yeah, he's also ranked No. 1 in his class. Incredible work ethic.

WR Shadrach Banks (North Shore) 2020: When you see North Shore raise a 6A State Championship trophy in 2020, Evans and Banks will be two main reasons. Explosive athlete with ability after the catch. Could play defense in college.

WR Zeriah Beason (Bishop Dunne) 2020: Maybe not as polished as his Illinois-bound brother (Marques), but probably a safer take. I can see him on both sides of the ball, much like big bro.

WR Quinshone Bright (Cedar Hill) 2020: He wears sunglasses because his future is so...luminous. Excellent burst. He's transitioning from an APB to slot.

WR DJ Graham (Keller Central) 2020: Graham is a guy Texas really likes. He's already visited Austin and attended UT's summer camp.

WR Marvin Mims (Lone Star) 2020: Eric wrote about this guy recently because he knows talent. So does Texas, who will pursue more in good time.

WR Troy Omeire (FB Austin) 2020: I've liked Omeire ever since his Opening Regional performance in Houston. Big kid, good hands, decent body control. He's like Sloan Thomas; won't wow you like higher rated dudes, but if coached up, he produces at the P5 level.

WR Majik Rector (Lancaster) 2021: Lorando Calrissian isn't the only dog in Lancaster. Rector has serious jets attached to his hips, with tap-dancer feet.

WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba (Rockwall) 2020: A big, outside target from the Land of Chris Warren. He's already got a few nice offers.

WR Collin Sullivan (Round Rock) 2020: The best receiver from his class in the 512, Texas likes him, they just don't love him. Big-time production + weight room sessions could change that.

TE Elijah Yelverton (Bishop Dunne) 2020: Here's a kid Texas has identified as a possible take at tight end for 2020. Very raw with very little tape. His junior year looms large.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

QB - nothing to see here with Roschon locked in.

RB - Main targets are Cain and Sanders. Cain is a battle between Texas, LSU, and Georiga right now, while everybody wants Sanders (but Alabama is the favorite). We'll get fall OVs from both. If we miss on both we might push for Glass out of Katy.

WR - Higgins changes his mind weekly on what school he likes. Best case is that we get him to push his decision back from August and sell him on 2018 success and improved WR production. Marcus Washington likes Ohio State but he's supposed to visit Texas for the first time later this month. Dylan Wright will decide after the season, and he's pretty wide open right now. Other guys such as Jaylen Ellis and Langston Anderson are secondary targets for now.

TE - we're done here.

OL - Shepherd likes Texas but we have to recruit him all the way to signing day. After that it's a bit of a mystery. Other than maybe Andrew Coker (TCU commit), there's a good chance the rest of our OL commits have not been offered yet.

DL - Taurean Carter decides in October as of right now; he likes Texas. Keep pushing for Leal. Hope that Jermaine Johnson pushes his decision back (but it's probably going to be Georgia regardless). Wait for late bloomers like last cycle.

LB - also a bit of a mystery. There are a few good OOS guys who like Texas but we probably aren't leading with any of them right now - Tufono, Rian Davis, Cooper. Looks like we're going to wait on Gbenda's senior season before deciding to make a push. Also possible that we find some in-state guy with a decent projection, like Zach Zimos.

DB - Catalon says he's deciding after the season. Cine still has fall OVs to take but we're in a decent spot right now. Noa Pola-Gates out of Arizona is visiting later this month but he likes Bama and Bama probably likes him. We're done at cornerback unless some elite guy like Stingley comes around.

ATH - Bru McCoy has a spot until NSD and likes us quite a bit, but it's going to be tough to beat out USC. If Georgia doesn't prioritize Tongue and LSU decides not to offer (or waits too long), he's ours.

We're taking 25 almost assuredly, possibly more.

Good write-up, thanks. I have a few questions/things to add:

• Y U no list Wilkins at OL? Is that a lost cause?
  • Are we recruiting Marcus Stripling at all? Have we ever?
  • Are we still recruiting Jeffrey Carter? We supposedly weren't, forever, and then just recently there was talk that we actually were. Talk about off the field issues or lack thereof seems to follow along with whether or not we're actually recruiting him.
  • Another thing is that we've bought several lottery tickets on OOS Polynesian guys this year and appear to actually be recruiting them pretty hard. Seems like our best chance is with Tufono at LB, but that category also includes Tuitele at DT. You mentioned Pola-Gates. I doubt anything comes of that at the end of the day, but it seems worth mentioning right now.

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

Good write-up, thanks. I have a few questions/things to add:

• Y U no list Wilkins at OL? Is that a lost cause?
  • Are we recruiting Marcus Stripling at all? Have we ever?
  • Are we still recruiting Jeffrey Carter? We supposedly weren't, forever, and then just recently there was talk that we actually were. Talk about off the field issues or lack thereof seems to follow along with whether or not we're actually recruiting him.
  • Another thing is that we've bought several lottery tickets on OOS Polynesian guys this year and appear to actually be recruiting them pretty hard. Seems like our best chance is with Tufono at LB, but that category also includes Tuitele at DT. You mentioned Pola-Gates. I doubt anything comes of that at the end of the day, but it seems worth mentioning right now.

Wilkins looks like he's about to reserve a spot at OU. There's always a chance we have a really good season and impress him on September 15, but he's liked the Sooners for a while now.

Stripling is a natural ATM lean. I'm sure we tried, but... let's just say the topic of recruiting DL when working from a disadvantage has been beaten to death. Some people also aren't as high on him as a prospect.

I think we keep tabs on Carter because he's a stud on the field but it doesn't look like we'll pursue right now, while a certain other school that has ignored the cornerback position for multiple cycles now is much more ready to take a risk.

Sure.

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

So Aggy is confident on Malik Hornsby, and IT says he has an entourage? That's.... discouraging.

One of the first rules in selling 9.95’s is to subtly throw shade on a recruit who looks to be headed elsewhere. Insinuate grades, a greedy uncle but whatever you do keep your readers excited about reading your next scoop. Discouraging news is bad for clicks.  

Edited by Newy25

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

So Aggy is confident on Malik Hornsby, and IT says he has an entourage? That's.... discouraging.

Nahlin interviewed Hornsby and his private QB coach several weeks ago. Soon after posting it he received a message from someone close to Hornsby chiding him for not “going through the proper channels” to get the interview.

7 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Nahlin interviewed Hornsby and his private QB coach several weeks ago. Soon after posting it he received a message from someone close to Hornsby chiding him for not “going through the proper channels” to get the interview.

Fair to say the Malik Hornsby recruitment will not be squeaky clean?