Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

IT

DE'GABRIEL FLOYD VISITS AUSTIN

For what seems to be the 15th time since March, Southern California linebacker De'Gabriel Floyd made his way to Texas. We had a pretty good off-line chat where I told him I was now of the opinion he's a five-star. My opinion evolved based on his movement in space and a clear indication of his initial twitch when coming downhill. He appreciated that and said he's continually working, especially on his fluidity, and he understands the importance of keeping his mobility as he adds weight.

It was also good to get another idea for his frame after he said he'd gotten up to 240 pounds. He carries it well, and though I initially said he might be a B-backer, I'm firmly of the opinion he's a Mac or Rover thanks to those movement skills. He'll play in the NFL in the low 250's and probably remind some of another linebacker from his neck of the woods: Vontaze Burfict. Floyd is a fast-moving headhunter with a much better mental eval than Burfict.

On what Orlando tells him about fit:
"Rover is what I'll be playing. I like the scheme. It's based on making plays. I get to spy and a whole lot of different things, so, I'm excited."

On being a leader in the class:
"It's cool, I don't really strive for it. It's just, I guess that's what I am."

Why he feels so strong towards Texas:
"Just how they treat me and my family. Just, every trip. I don't ever get an uncomfortable feeling. It's never uncomfortable. The coaches are just always straightforward."

On his pitch to Bru:
"Basically just West Coast guys come here, I mean, they're not bringing us here to just sit there. They feel like we're playmakers that can make an impact as soon as possible."

"I'll be taking my official to a game in October but I'm thinking about going to the SC game with Bru [McCoy]."

On playing early at Texas:
"I'm not even going to lie to you, I feel like I can start my freshman year just because of my athletic ability and how big and strong I've gotten this off-season. Once I learn, there's no stopping me."

I couldn't agree more.

BAMIDELE OLASENI

@matt103455 mentioned this giant and athletic Juco offensive lineman a week or two ago. After watching a couple of plays I reached out to him. Hudl/highlights.....

He's originally from England but has found his way to Garden City Community College in Kansas. He already holds offers from Arkansas, Kansas State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State and is hearing a lot from Tennessee and Mississippi State.

Olaseni grew up playing soccer and participating in track and field. At 6-foot-8, 330 pounds he moves quite well. For only playing in America he isn't nearly as raw as I was expecting.

I believe he's a 3-for-2 guy. Texas knows of him and with that tape an offer at some point wouldn't be a surprise.

MELVIN MCBRIDE

It's no secret the staff wants an interior lineman with center versatility in the class. One name that's recently surfaced is Memphis (TN) native Melvin McBride.

On Texas: 
"I just talk to Coach Hand and he said he likes me and wants me to get down there. I'm going to visit, but I'm not sure when yet."

Schools standing out:
"Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisville, Memphis, South Carolina, and Indiana."

Schools are recruiting McBride as a guard, but centers usually are former guards.

ROSCHON JOHNSON

Happy Anniversary!

At this same event one year ago, Johnson won a speed competition, grabbed the mic, and told everyone inside Darrell K Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium he was committed to the Longhorns.

This year, he won another speed competition. This time, it was against Michael Huff.

“He might tell you no,” Johnson said, on if the Thorpe Award winner was running full speed. “But I’m not going to take that as an excuse. I beat him.”

Johnson noted the anniversary-like feel the camp had, noting it’s always special for him to be back in Austin. Last year, he was the lone member of the 2019 class. This year, there were several of his future teammates in attendance.

“I feel like it’s coming along pretty good,” Johnson said of the 2019 class. “As we grow in numbers, I feel like we’re just getting to know each other a little bit better. Today I was talking to Demariyon (Houston) and Jared Wiley.”

As far as his game goes, Johnson is focusing on the little things. He works with former Texas A&M quarterback Jerrod Johnson in Houston, and mechanics were a focus of theirs during the summer.

“Just tightening up my base,” Johnson said. “Not swinging my front shoulder out. Just keeping everything straight toward my target to get more power on my throws.”

Johnson said he felt like he has made considerable progress this spring and if you were to ask his QB coach “he’d tell you that,” Johnson said.

Port Neches-Groves’ second game of the season takes place in Huntsville against fellow Texas commit T’Vondre Sweat. Johnson said he and the Hornet defender have already been trading barbs, but he had a confidence about him regarding that matchup.

“It’s going to be fun when I get out there against him,” Johnson said.

TYLER OWENS 

At 6-foot-2, 202, Plano East DB Tyler Owens does a lot of things to prove his high end potential with plus+ athleticism.

Broad Jump: 11:02.
100M: 10.34

With that freakiness comes a natural for this Todd Orlando-run defense. Boundary safety or even Rover could be in the cards for the DFW prospect. He attended Stars at Night on Friday and put on a show.

“I really like Texas,” said Owens. “It was fun and got to meet cool coaches and players. The whole nine yards.”

I watched his film six months ago and thought he was a safety in a linebackers body. Depending on his growth curve, playing the defensive backfield looks to be where Texas envisions him.

UCLA is supposed to be the biggest threat, with Kansas State and Nebraska pushing. He may gather a few more offers, but I doubt UT has anything to worry about as long as they continue their pursuit.

He also mentioned safety coach Craig Naivar, talking about his sincere, genuine approach, but also a “cool dude.”

This invitation meant something to Owens. “The offer means a lot and Texas is one of the few places that feels like HOME.”

'Feels like home' is something we've been hearing under the Herman regime. May it continue.

MARCUS TILLMAN

In case you missed it, this dude from Florida committed (publicly) on Saturday morning, less than 12 hours after his Texas offer and performance at the Stars at Night camp on Friday.

“The coaches and the players they just made us feel like family," said Tillman, the 6-foot-1, 220-pound OLB from Jones HS in Orlando, FL. "We talked about everything. They see me playing on the edge, or I can play man coverage so I will be like a hybrid.”

Texas is recruiting more and more of these athletes to fit Orlando's ideals of six DBs, one or two that can also play LB, on the field at once. The counter-measure to Big 12 offenses perhaps.

This verbal pledge happened fast. But why so quick?

“It was everything," said the former Florida pledge. "Coach Orlando’s system, plus the coaches coached my cousin (Josh Burrell) at Houston so we already had a connection. The atmosphere and the facilities are awesome.”

It won't be long until Tillman and family make it back to Austin.

“We are going to try and make as many (home games) as we can,” Tillman said. "We are coming to the first two games (Tulsa, USC) for sure.”

Clemson and Florida really liked this kid, but spots filled up. UT will have to stay on top of him if/when he breaks out in 2018. Getting him the #fUTure19 group text was step No. 1.

Ole Miss got turned in for four reasons: 
1) They committed the cardinal SEC sin. They cheated like crazy but didn’t win titles.
2) They beat Saban two years in a row. 
3) Burning hatred/butt hurt at Mississippi State. State will cut off their nose to spite their face if it drags Ole Miss down too.
4) Ole Miss isn’t a SEC Blue Blood.
Georgia is winning big. They don’t have Bama on their regular season schedule. And they don’t have a true in state rival. Georgia Tech recruits very different players and plays in another conference. 
Georgia is going to be just fine as long as they keep winning. 

#3 makes cowbell sound like some other school I know of..

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/07/open-post-monday-july-30th/

They mention that Gbenda visited TCU, but I think this was originally reported before he no-showed.

Quick Hitters | Linebacker Recruiting
– Andrew King

There have been some questions in regards to linebacker recruiting in 2019. It’s a down year in the state of Texas at the position. Though Texas did land a Top five outside linebacker early in the process in De’Gabriel Floyd from California as well as Jones (FL) OLB Marcus Tillman Jr this past weekend. Here are some quick notes…

– The main linebacker in the state of Texas in 2019 is Cinco Ranch’s David Gbenda. He was expected to visit Texas this weekend, but it sounds like plans have changed. He will now likely be at TCU. The Horned Frogs have made this a 3-horse race between Texas-Texas A&M-TCU. We’ll see how things look after this weekend.

Gbenda isn’t expected to make a decision until December, but Texas would’ve liked to get him in this weekend. He will be back in Austin for an official visit during the season regardless.

– Remember, we noted that Texas is in a better spot than most believed with Punahou (HI) Inside Linebacker Maninoa Tufono. Texas is in the Top 5 along with LSU, Washington, USC, and UCLA. I’ve heard that Washington and USC are the main competition for Texas here.

Texas Offers 2019 DL Rodas Johnson
– Charlie S

– Texas extended an offer to elite DT Rodas Johnson who as we reported, made his way to campus this weekend.

Johnson is originally from Texas and he spends a lot of time in the state throughout his summers. He moved up to Ohio in elementary school but with a father who is from Texas they grew up Longhorn fans.

We expect Texas to be in this in a major going forward.

Quick Hitters | Star at Night
– Will Baizer

– Texas’ Stars At Night Showcase should be considered a success after the commitment of Marcus Tillman.

– At 4pm the recruits were given tours of the campus and meetings with coaches took place. Then during the camp, they ran 1v1 drills. Then the fun started with a dunk contest, dodgeball, and a water balloon fight. Sounds fun.

Texas Offers 2019 DB Tyler Owens
– Super K

Texas has offered jumbo size safety 2019 DB, Tyler Owens (Plano, TX). Owens is a big safety. Having seen him in person he really does have the size of a linebacker. That size caused some people to question whether he’s truly a DB.

Owns camped at Texas this past weekend and put any doubts about his ability to move, to bed.

He won the fastest man and he broad jumped over eleven feet!

Owens has offers from schools like Nebraska and UCLA but a source said that with the Hook’Em offer, “Texas just jumped in the lead”. Owens actually picked up the offer on Friday but only posted it Sunday. He spent the weekend in Austin.

Longhorns Make The Cut | 2019 RB Noah Cain
– Charlie S

– The Longhorns remain in the hunt for elite 2019 running back Noah Cain out of IMG Academy in Florida.

Cain tweeted out his Final Six earlier this evening which included OU, LSU, Texas, Penn State, Ohio State, and Auburn.

Cain has stated a desire to make his announcement on or near the December signing day, so this one has a long time to still play out.

We will have more on this in the near future.

16 hours ago, oh_snap said:

What Georgia is doing is unreal. The only bread in their class is some 3star crouton DE with a pretty badass name (Zion Logue) that Oscar Giles would be lucky to pull.

At least we don't have to have speculative conversations about what sleeping giant is poised to challenge Saban. It's done. It's Georgia or nobody... for the time being.

7 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

At least we don't have to have speculative conversations about what sleeping giant is poised to challenge Saban. It's done. It's Georgia or nobody... for the time being.

It’s aggy, stupid. Next year they beat bama and Georgia twice as they ascend to the top of the mountain. Saban will  see the writing on the wall and retire rather than lose to aggy every year. 

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s aggy, stupid. Next year they beat bama and Georgia twice as they ascend to the top of the mountain. Saban will  see the writing on the wall and retire rather than lose to aggy every year. 

for $75MM guaranteed I sure hope so. 

26 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Gary Patterson to the courtesy telephone please

Patterson is just a bad salesman he has alot to sell but just can't help himself and bashes other universities instead of showing off everything he has accomplished 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

That is fucking awesome. This woman is seriously going to end up being an ambassador for us for 4 fucking years. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up hiring her at some point. 

Word. Someone like this, you wanna keep happy, and keep around your program post-kid playing if you can.

13 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

TCU really should recruit better than they do.  They’re the only power 5 conference school in DFW, the alumni have money, they have a campus full of hot girls, and they could even sell the private/Christian school thing to small town mommas.  Patterson can do more with less, but if he weren’t such an ass he wouldn’t have to anymore now that they’re established in the Big 12.

Oh well.  It’s good for us.

But, if he wasn't an ass, he might not be able to coach...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

TCU really should recruit better than they do.  They’re the only power 5 conference school in DFW, the alumni have money, they have a campus full of hot girls, and they could even sell the private/Christian school thing to small town mommas.  Patterson can do more with less, but if he weren’t such an ass he wouldn’t have to anymore now that they’re established in the Big 12.

Oh well.  It’s good for us.

Well according to Jeremiah Glenn, they were going to sign a top 5 class last year.  Did that not happen?

13 minutes ago, I Plead Da Fif said:

So he eliminated Aggy? From his 247 profile, they were in his top 3. Texas, LSU, Ole Miss and Bama are the only schools in the top 7 for both him and his teammate, Sopsher. Would be a huge pull if we got both.

We're probably getting neither... neither is aggie.  We're just a sexier hat on the table than them.  

6 minutes ago, RabidM said:

We're probably getting neither... neither is aggie.  We're just a sexier hat on the table than them.  

I agree the most likely scenario is we get neither. I mean have either ever made it to campus? It just seems odd to be on both of their top 7's with little to no communication about Texas recruiting them being publicized. 

20 minutes ago, I Plead Da Fif said:

I agree the most likely scenario is we get neither. I mean have either ever made it to campus? It just seems odd to be on both of their top 7's with little to no communication about Texas recruiting them being publicized. 

I think the 995ers are in the dark about most of the OOS recruiting going on.

The Stampede: Recruiting scoop from Stars at Night

It’s time for The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly recruiting insider notes package that takes a behind-the-scenes look at what the Texas Longhorns are doing on the recruiting trail. This week’s edition looks at the Stars at Night recruiting event held inside Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium on Friday and where the Longhorns go from here heading into the month of August.

Texas scored a monster commitment from Javonne Shepherd shortly following the Stars at Night event this weekend. This came as no surprise as Shepherd named Texas his leader throughout the summer. The Longhorns basically closed the deal at the Heat Wave event and put the finishing touches on it this weekend. Contrary to popular belief, Shepherd didn’t give Texas a silent commit. However, the Longhorns put in overtime in this recruitment. Both Herb Hand and Corby Meekins deserve a round of applause here. Hand quickly built a bond with Shepherd, while Meekins did a tremendous job with his high school coaches as well as trainer and mentor Rischad Whitfield (Footwork King). We expect Shepherd to stick with UT and be a vocal recruiter for the Longhorns.

Texas also picked up a commitment from Florida outside linebacker Marcus Tillman Jr. (Orlando, Fla./Jones). This one came as a bit of a surprise as Tillman didn’t have an offer going into the event. I’m told that Tillman really impressed the Texas staff, and he matched up to what they saw on film. This one moved really fast as Tillman committed to Texas on the spot — literally before he left campus on Friday night. The big question seems to be how this commitment will affect linebacker recruiting. Look, Texas is still going to go hard after David Gbenda, Maninoa Tufono and Daniel Heimuli. Linebacker is a premium position right now. By the way, Tillman will be back on campus for a visit on Sept. 8.

Stars at Night also resulted in an offer for four-star 2019 Ohio defensive lineman Rodas Johnson. This one was a no-brainer. Texas has a big need upfront this cycle, and Johnson could be a big contributor early on in his career. His recruitment is pretty open, and I’m told the Longhorns really wowed him on his trip. In fact, I expect Johnson to be back on campus for an official visit in the fall/winter. Johnson is originally from the Houston area, so he is very familiar with the program. He didn’t move until he was in middle school, and his father is pro-Texas. I’ve thought about making a Crystal Ball pick for UT, but the Longhorns need to have some early on-field success.

Another 2019 recruit that notched an offer following the event was rising Plano East safety Tyler Owens. This dude showed up to Austin and straight up earned his scholarship. Owens broad jumped 11-2 at the camp, and I’m told he won the fastest man challenge by a full three yards. Keep in mind that Owens is about 6-foot-2, 205 pounds and clocked in at 10.3 in the 100m. According to sources, Texas loves his athleticism and potential to be molded into a special player at the next level. While there has been some linebacker talk, Texas likes him at safety. Baylor was thought to be his frontrunner, but the Texas offer changed the dynamics of his recruitment. I put in a Crystal Ball pick for Texas and feel confident about it at this time.

Texas extended an offer to four-star 2020 athlete Ty Jordan after he impressed at the camp as well. Jordan is on the short side, but he is strong and compactly built. I’m told Texas likes Jordan as a change of pace, pass catching back. Think Detroit Lions running back Ameer Abdullah. Texas co-offensive coordinator Tim Beck had plenty of success with Abdullah when he was at Nebraska, and Jordan could be that type of player for Texas, which would really help the offense. Right now, we feel like Texas is the team to beat in his recruitment. I put in a Crystal Ball immediately after he picked up an offer from the Longhorns. By the way, Jordan is close to Dylan Wright, so this offer could help in that recruitment.

One of the biggest 2020 priorities on campus this weekend was four-star Houston C.E. King safety Bryson Washington. He absolutely loved his visit. Washington arrived a few hours before the event started and had an opportunity to bond with safeties coach Craig Naivar. The two are quickly building a strong relationship as Naivar is making him one of his top priorities for next cycle. From talking to various sources, Texas is the team to beat for Washington early on. We feel very good about our Crystal Ball picks at this point in the process.

Another 2020 recruit that Texas really wowed this weekend was four-star Cibolo Steele cornerback Jaylon Jones. Reigning Big 12 Recruiter of the Year Jason Washington has a close, personal relationship with Jones and his father and communicates with them frequently. They actually arrived around 5 p.m. and spent some extended time with Washington before the camp started. This visit was a slam-dunk, and we feel great about our Crystal Ball picks early on. There has been a lot of talk about elite 2020 quarterback Malik Hornsby and Texas A&M, and while there are some legs to it, Texas is still in a great position. As we’ve been reporting, there will be some twists and turns in this recruitment, but Texas really hit a home run on this visit. Hornsby, his mother, and mentor, Chris Speed, all arrived in Austin around 3 p.m. and got an in-depth look at the program. I’m told that Hornsby’s mother loves everything about Texas and is developing a great personal relationship with Beck, who is doing a tremendous job in this recruitment. Yes, Texas has a quarterback commitment in Hudson Card and schools like A&M will pitch that, but Hornsby has stated that it will not be a factor in his decision. And we do believe him. Hornsby loves UT and envisions himself as a Vince Young type of player.

Man, De’Gabriel Floyd deserves a ton of credit. The dude has really become the face of the Texas class and is helping the Longhorns recruit around the country. Floyd has an infectious personality in a class filled with quiet guys. He was a vocal presence for the Longhorns during his time on campus this weekend as he helped Texas work on eventual commit Javonne Shepherd and pitched the future of the program and what it has to offer to the underclassmen. Floyd might be the biggest win of the recruiting cycle for Texas. He will be back on campus with his good friend and five-star athlete Bru McCoy on Sept. 15.

Floyd also returned to campus for a visit with teammate and 2020 tight end Seth Figgins on Sunday. I’m told that Texas made a big impression on him and that the Longhorns are a top school early on. I put in an early Crystal Ball prediction for him based on that info as well as the fact that he is close to Floyd and that his high school head coach played with Tom Herman at Cal Lutheran. There are some strong connections here, so this one definitely makes sense. By the way, Figgins is slated to be back on campus today.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The Stampede: Recruiting scoop from Stars at Night...

"As we’ve been reporting, there will be some twists and turns in this recruitment, but Texas really hit a home run on this visit"

Wow that is some fucking insightful shit right there. Please take my money.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

That is fucking awesome. This woman is seriously going to end up being an ambassador for us for 4 fucking years. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up hiring her at some point. 

They've known each other since his tcu days, fatpat really wanted Byron. He was sweaty pissed when Byron committed to us. 

7 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Haven’t really kept up with recruiting this year but will texas be able to pass OU and a&m in the rankings? I know texas won’t be ranked like last year since UGA, tOSU, and bama get who they want.

HoeU, doubtful. But based of averages UT already ahead of A&M. UT just have less commits at the time being. Texas will be top 6 I’m betting.  Aggy decommit season is almost upon us.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

If Ed O can't keep Sopsher and Lee in-state he's in big trouble. No reason LSU shouldn't land an elite recruiting class this year with the type of top talent coming out of Louisiana.

Bama has an Amite guy on staff who helped locked these two up (assuming they want Lee)

Someone who gets to keep up with this a lot ore than I do now, take me to school. 

Is the overall in state crop not as good as last year? I know last year was a banner year in state for DBs and we essentially cleaned swept that. I know this year it’s looking like a banner year for WR. The only miss there I see is Wilson. Huge bummer there. But last year again we did extremely well. Right now I feel like the only bummers that we’ve missed on are Wilson and Leal.

The only concern I see right now for the moment is the lack of decent in state LBs last year and this year.

8 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

Someone who gets to keep up with this a lot ore than I do now, take me to school. 

Is the overall in state crop not as good as last year? I know last year was a banner year in state for DBs and we essentially cleaned swept that. I know this year it’s looking like a banner year for WR. The only miss there I see is Wilson. Huge bummer there. But last year again we did extremely well. Right now I feel like the only bummers that we’ve missed on are Wilson and Leal.

The only concern I see right now for the moment is the lack of decent in state LBs last year and this year.

It's weak, especially at the very top. Pretty deep though. 

15 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

WR seems to be good every year because of 7 v 7. Last year was deep with DB and some good DL. OL was weak. TE was weak. LB was weak. 

This year was good for OL, TE. DL is top heavy and LB is weak. 

22 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

Wilson, Leal, Mowry, Roberson, Geen & Bragg are "bummers". I'm sure this list will change as the HS season plays out.

Guys like Carter and Brooks would be on that list from on field talent but seems to be a lot more going on with those 2. Mowry and Green have ag pajamas. Leal gave us a shot and we did not connect, Brewster reminded him of why he was an aggie lean. Bragg's mom seems to have that tigermom in her dna. Wilson sucked because he is local and used some strong words on his way out. I would have thought Roberson would have been offered but our staff sent him to ou jr day without an offer and he committed. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Wilson, Leal, Mowry, Roberson, Geen & Bragg are "bummers". I'm sure this list will change as the HS season plays out.

Guys like Carter and Brooks would be on that list from on field talent but seems to be a lot more going on with those 2. Mowry and Green have ag pajamas. Leal gave us a shot and we did not connect, Brewster reminded him of why he was an aggie lean. Bragg's mom seems to have that tigermom in her dna. Wilson sucked because he is local and used some strong words on his way out. I would have thought Roberson would have been offered but our staff sent him to ou jr day without an offer and he committed. 

It's hard to argue with the Tiger Mom comment. 

I'd add Rian Davis to the bad luck column. My understanding is that his parents divorced, and mom moved him to the Orlando area. If he had stayed in Clear Lake with dad, he's probably a Longhorn.