Texas recruiting notes 2019

Question on out of state Texas recruits: Are we pursuing, do we have a chance, do they have a spot, do they have an official scheduled... All we ever hear about it seems are in-state guys. 

Devonta Lee

Lloyd Summerall

Kuony Deng

William Putnam

Noa Pola-Gates

Shammond Cooper

Rodas Johnson

Faatui Tuitele

Bamidele Olaseni

@Bevo

Devonta Lee

-SEC SEC SEC

Lloyd Summerall

-Going to a Florida school

Kuony Deng

-Looked VaTech bound, but with them now sucking and a shiny new UT offer, fun things could happen. He's already visited and liked it.

William Putnam

-SEC SEC SEC (or FSU)

Noa Pola-Gates

-We're probably getting a nice shiny silver medal to Alabama

Shammond Cooper

-Who knows? There's a lot of UT love at Trinity Catholic and his quotes have been positive but he hasn't visited. Could be Daniel Carson 2.0 in that he stays simmering and then we close late.

Rodas Johnson

-Loved his unofficial, has an OV coming after the season, we're in the top three with Wisco and Pedo State.

Faatui Tuitele

-We're probably getting a nice shiny silver medal to Alabama Washington

Bamidele Olaseni

-No clue, hasn't talked much.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 7

The Stampede: Recruiting scoop coming off of huge weekend

It’s time for The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly recruiting insider notes package that takes a behind-the-scenes look at what the Texas Longhorns are doing on the recruiting trail. This week’s edition looks at how things are trending after Tom Herman and Co. took care of business once again.

After beating USC last week, 37-14, the Longhorns knocked off 17th-ranked TCU, 31-16. The win snapped a four-game losing streak to the Horned Frogs, has Texas back in both the Associated Press Top 25 and the Amway Coaches Poll and has given the program a ton of momentum on the recruiting front. We're starting the week leading up to the Kansas State game looking at two of the top defensive prospects on the board for the Longhorns, one of whom was also one of the top recruiting visitors on campus for the TCU game. We also have the latest one of the state’s top 2020 recruits and Texas stands in his recruitment.

THE LATEST ON WHERE TEXAS STANDS WITH CINE

The biggest 2019 visitor on campus this weekend was elite 2019 safety Lewis Cine. The four-star prospect really had an opportunity to bond with safeties coach Craig Naivar before and after the game. He was a part of the locker room celebration as well and talked at length about the atmosphere at Texas — it was his first game experience. Texas has certainly helped itself in this recruitment over the last two weeks, and I have reason to believe the Longhorns are probably No. 2 on his list.

So if Texas is in the second spot, which team has the edge? I would give it to Georgia. Cine is a downhill safety that loves to get physical and sees himself as an ideal fit in the SEC. He loved his trip to Georgia this offseason and will be back for an official visit this weekend. Even though he gave the Texas trip high marks, Georgia getting him on campus a week later doesn’t bode well. If Georgia pushes, I feel like he will land there. But that’s the thing… I haven’t been able to get a clear idea of how big of a priority he is for the Bulldogs. We should have a better feel coming out of his official visit.

I spoke to a source close to the recruitment of Cine that told me not to count out Penn State. He still has family up north, and the Nittany Lions were long considered the leaders in his recruitment. With that said, Cine has fallen in love with the idea of playing football down south, and he hasn’t visited Penn State in a while. Right now, I would consider Penn State, Michigan and Florida, which will host him for his final official visit, much lesser threats than aforementioned Georgia. Expect Cine to make a decision next month or during his Under Armor jersey presentation in early November.

DID THE WIN OVER TCU HELP WITH CATALON?

Texas almost had another elite safety on campus this weekend in Jalen Catalon, but he couldn’t make his way down to Austin. Still, I’m told this weekend really went a long way with him. Remember, TCU is one of his finalists, so UT’s win really impressed him. Catalon also likes Arkansas, but the Razorbacks have been terrible on the field so far. The four-star prospect wanted to see how the season played out, and right now, Texas has the advantage in that regard. Keep winning, and everything will be fine in this recruitment.

We are still expecting Catalon to make an official visit later in the fall. For now, he has been keeping in constant communication with Naivar, who I’m told has been doing a great job of supporting him throughout the rehab process. In fact, Naivar and Catalon had a really good conversation on Sunday. Again, as long as Texas keeps winning on the field, it should remain in the pole position. Catalon is still targeting a January decision date at this time.

WILL TEXAS BE ABLE TO FLIP DEMAS FROM A&M?

The biggest question coming out of the weekend was: Can Texas flip Demond Demas? Look, Demas can say whatever he wants publicly, but the fact of the matter is he visited Texas, which happens to be Texas A&M’s long-time enemy, on back-to-back weeks. During those two weeks, Texas beat two ranked teams. On the other side of the coin, Texas A&M beat an irrelevant team and got smacked by Alabama. The five-star 2020 wide receiver has been celebrating non-stop with Herman and the players, and it’s clear he loves the program. He wouldn’t be visiting the rival of the school he’s committed to if he didn’t. On top of that, he’s extremely close to 2019 commit Javonne Shepherd and has been building a good relationship with 2020 leader Hudson Card.

Keep in mind that this is going to be ‘one of those recruitments.’ Even if Texas is able to get Demas to jump ship, this one is going to be a wild one all the way up to signing day of next year. Despite his commitment to Texas A&M, Demas is going to continue to visit other programs — Texas included. In fact, this probably won’t be the last time he makes it to Austin this fall. In this recruitment, you need to pay more attention to his actions than the words that come out of his mouth.

So let’s go ahead and answer your question. Yes, Texas can definitely flip Demas. Will it happen after you read this column? Probably not. Will it happen down the line? It's a strong probability. It just depends on how the rest of the season plays out and what happens in the recruitment of Shepherd. But if I’m Texas, I’m really happy with where things stand coming out of this weekend. By the way, we’ve heard that Demas has been convinced to keep his commitment to Texas A&M, which obviously isn’t a great sign for the Aggies. It just seems like he got caught up in the moment in College Station a couple of weeks ago and now, Texas has him thinking... a lot.

LONGHORNS HELPING THEMSELVES WITH 2020 O-LINE RECRUITS

We haven’t talked a ton about four-star 2020 Port Neches-Groves offensive lineman Jaylen Garth, but we feel like the Longhorns definitely have the inside track in this recruitment. Garth was really impressed with UT’s offensive line play and the job Herb Hand has done in such a short time period. In fact, elite 2021 offensive line targets Hayden Conner and Bryce Foster both mentioned this after the game as well. Garth is very close to Texas commit Roschon Johnson and looks up to him as an older brother. Johnson has been key in recruiting Garth, and it’s also worth noting that Herman is very close to the Port Neches-Groves coaching staff. Alabama and Texas A&M are the biggest threats.

INSIDE ONE OF THE MOST RECENT CRYSTAL BALL PICKS FOR TEXAS

We recently put in Crystal Ball picks for rising 2020 defensive lineman Alfred Collins of Bastrop Cedar Creek. He actually contemplated making a verbal pledge but wants to wait a few months before pulling the trigger. Herman offered him on the 50-yard line before the USC game and he has now visited twice in as many weeks. Collins is a Texas legacy as his mother played basketball at the university. While Texas A&M has made a strong push, this should be a slam-dunk recruitment for Texas.

RECRUITING FRONT LOOKING GOOD FOLLOWING RECENT SUCCESS

Overall, this weekend was a huge boost for Texas in the eyes of several key targets. With two wins over ranked teams under their belts and earning rankings in both polls heading into the Kansas State game, the Longhorns built a ton of momentum on the recruiting trail. The game against Oklahoma looms large, but it’s safe to say the Longhorns lead with key targets like Catalon, Tyler Owens, Marcus Washington and David Gbenda and are right there for five-star targets Bru McCoy and Trey Sanders. The Maryland loss seems like ages ago. Texas just needs to keep producing on the field.

7 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Won't numbers start to get tight at DB? with the haul we brought in last year, and then you had a haul of

Watson
Owens 
Adimora

Now it looks like we lead for Catalon, and maybe even Cine down the stretch? It's a good problem to have, just curious how it shakes out.

We're graduating both of our starting corners, lost another corner to transfer, already graduated one safety (Bonney), and are graduating a nickel back. And if Brandon Jones keeps it up, he could be gone too.

11 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Won't numbers start to get tight at DB? with the haul we brought in last year, and then you had a haul of

Watson
Owens 
Adimora

Now it looks like we lead for Catalon, and maybe even Cine down the stretch? It's a good problem to have, just curious how it shakes out.

We play with 5 or 6 DB’s regularly. I think the days of Texas having 10 tight ends and 10 linebackers on the roster sitting around wasting space are over. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We're graduating both of our starting corners, lost another corner to transfer, already graduated one safety (Bonney), and are graduating a nickel back. And if Brandon Jones keeps it up, he could be gone too.

I’m not saying Jones won’t wind up going pro, but this is turning into something you guys are giving a lot more credence to than merited at this moment. He’s going to need to play his entire season the way he’s played his last two games, and then he’s going to have to want to leave unless he gets a 1st round grade. He’s a guy that likes being on campus, so he’s going to need to really be feeling the NFL. 

That considered, I’m all for Texas taking 6 if they feel they have to do so, provided one of the next two is Catalon.

They got a shot at someone off the radar at DB, but stars need to better align.

As to an earlier thought, they are all over Rodas Johnson. He’s an interior OL disguised as a DT, fwiw.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’m not saying Jones won’t wind up going pro, but this is turning into something you guys are giving a lot more credence to than merited at this moment. He’s going to need to play his entire season the way he’s played his last two games, and then he’s going to have to want to leave unless he gets a 1st round grade. He’s a guy that likes being on campus, so he’s going to need to really be feeling the NFL. 

That considered, I’m all for Texas taking 6 if they feel they have to do so, provided one of the next two is Catalon.

As to an earlier thought, they are all over Rodas Johnson. He’s an interior OL disguised as a DT, fwiw.

Interesting on Rodas. I like the take a lot more now. 

6 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I don't think the sequence of commitments has anything to do with priority of need. Ironically, success early on makes us impatient about success later in the process. 

that's also what I said. I think you attributed someone else's post to me by accident.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

Jones is not going to the nfl this year. Dude is just blipping the radar. Going to need to see a lot more.

His ball skills need to improve but the dude is probably our best player on defense and probably the fastest. He doesn’t hesitate at all. Once he sees the ball he’s flying to it. His run support tape is second to none. I’d draft him around the 3rd if I was a GM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Post Oak said:

Time will tell, but it appears this staff can really evaluate players.  

I have a lot of criticisms of this staff, and while I’d like to believe that a corner has been turned, recent history tells me not to hold my breath. That considered, one the things that should be encouraging to everyone is that they’re evaluating as well as any staff at Texas in recent decades. Now, personnel choices? One thing at a time I guess. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I have a lot of criticisms of this staff, and while I’d like to believe that a corner has been turned, recent history tells me not to hold my breath. That considered, one the things that should be encouraging to everyone is that they’re evaluating as well as any staff at Texas in recent decades. Now, personnel choices? One thing at a time I guess. 

It really is hilarious reading your retarded drivel.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 5

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It really is hilarious reading your retarded drivel.

It’s must read shit for you, by your own admission. The next actual contribution you make to this board, whether insights, entertainment, humor, you name it, will be your first. Pay it forward at some point, fuck. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Deshon Elliot says hi...but I think Brandon will be back 

Jones has the higher upside. He could come out with this level of play and get a 2nd to 4th round grade. He could also come back and keep getting better. He has another gear that some just aren't blessed with.

Deshon Elliot says hi...but I think Brandon will be back 

Two totally different situations. Deshon had one foot out the door before the season started. BJ seems to be comfortable and thriving in the program. Second, the Deshon experience may teach him that playing below your potential for two years only to bust out and have one great year doesn’t necessarily impress pro scouts. Do it again next year and you silence all doubters and go early in the draft. And also, listen to what grade you get.

I’m not saying that if the dude balls out the rest of the year he won’t go early. But I don’t think these are the same dudes.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

His gf works for a sports agency for whatever that is worth...

Edited by Fug