Texas recruiting notes 2019

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm with you. It's why I didn't mention Glass. He seems like another Katy player who has a great line, but fails to translate that to the next level (sans  Rodney Anderson)

1 hour ago, Fud said:

He seems to be somewhere in between Porter and Anderson. We could potentially lose several running backs, so we probably need useful bodies. He wouldn't get me very excited. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Anderson continues to sting. I met him and his step dad before while he was uncommitted. His step dad was a huge Sooner fan, so I knew we were screwed. 

Best Katy RB is quite some time and it's not even close. 

I want Glass to be good, but I just don't see it happening. I hope Texas is looking nation wide for the second RB spot. Surely there have to be better options in California. 

I don't see Glass being anywhere as good as Anderson, but he's much better than Porter imo. There's an old post on the shag of me telling people Porter wasn't even the best RB on his own HS team, back when he was a senior at Katy and Glass was a Freshman. It was obvious back then, Porter got the carries because he was the upperclassman.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I don't see Glass being anywhere as good as Anderson, but he's much better than Porter imo. There's an old post on the shag of me telling people Porter wasn't even the best RB on his own HS team, back when he was a senior at Katy and Glass was a Freshman. It was obvious back then, Porter got the carries because he was the upperclassman.

I remember when people were talking about Glass possibly being a 5 star when he was a frosh on the shag. I have no doubt he's a good RB, but is he good enough for Texas? Admittedly I haven't seen him play, but I just know the Katy RB system has failed most of the time. I know he's gotten a ton of carries, but how good is he? Would he be a take?

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Evans is going to be the toughest one. I think we get Mookie, but tOSU is going to fight like heck for him. I think Texas could get Jordan whenever we wants to commit. 

All three have very different skill sets. Evans = Adrian Petterson. Mookie = Dobbins. Jordan = a better version of Ta'Zhawn Henry. 

I see it

Evans = Saquon 

Mookie = Tavon 

Jordan = not sure, but he's got better track speed than Henry. Maybe Jahvid Best? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I remember when people were talking about Glass possibly being a 5 star when he was a frosh on the shag. I have no doubt he's a good RB, but is he good enough for Texas? Admittedly I haven't seen him play, but I just know the Katy RB system has failed most of the time. I know he's gotten a ton of carries, but how good is he? Would he be a take?

He wouldn't be my top choice, and he isn't for the staff, but I wouldn't feel awful about him being a backup plan.

The Katy RB thing is overplayed to me. Projecting players in different systems and at different levels of competition is what scouts and coaches get paid to do, they should be able to take into account the Katy system and still evaluate the RBs at Katy as individuals.

23 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/171434-Texas-Recruiting-Notes-2019-Edition?p=11884150&viewfull=1#post11884150

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

The Katy RB thing is overplayed to me. Projecting players in different systems and at different levels of competition is what scouts and coaches get paid to do, they should be able to take into account the Katy system and still evaluate the RBs at Katy as individuals.

Agreed. They’re not all used cars by the time they get to college. Cedric Benson ran about 1 million times at Midland Lee and had a very nice college career.

8 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Agreed. They’re not all used cars by the time they get to college. Cedric Benson ran about 1 million times at Midland Lee and had a very nice college career.

The deal with Katy rbs is more that their OL is dominant, so they get lots of yards without having to show vision or moves or power, so those traits are difficult to evaluate. 

(E.J. Holland) Sunday Scoop: UT staff hitting recruiting trail

— Texas head coach Tom Herman is getting out on the road and is kicking off the week with a trip to Dallas. His first major stop will be at Duncanville, which is home to elite 2020 targets Ja’Quinden Jackson and Chris Thompson. Herman is sure to make several other stops in the metroplex as the Longhorns look to improve their presence in Dallas. Texas has been up and down in D-FW, especially this cycle, so it’s clear the Longhorns want to increase their success in the area, which produces some of the best recruits in the country on a yearly basis.

— Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington will be in the Dallas-area as well. Washington is set to some intriguing underclassmen, including four-star 2020 Lancaster cornerback Lorando Johnson and fast-rising 2020 Mansfield Timberview cornerback Jalen Kimber. Washington will then head east to Georgia to check in on Texas commits Kenyatta Watson II and Derrian Brown.

— Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar will also be active at the metroplex. He is set to see UT commit Tyler Owens during his game on Friday when Plano East takes on Plano. Naivar did a terrific job of getting Owens on board a few weeks ago. Before hitting Dallas, Naivar will be in Houston to see elite 2020 safety Bryson Washington and in California to see Texas commits Chris Adimora and De’Gabriel Floyd.

— Texas wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer is gearing up to make a trip to St. Louis later in the week to see four-star wide receiver Marcus Washington and elite 2020 athlete Mookie Cooper. Washington is set to make a decision later this month, and we still feel good about where Texas stands. We also love where UT stands with Cooper early on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Oregon 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Weird. No shit I thought he was jist offered by USC and they were his school growing up?

He’s a Murietta guy and USC is his childhood school. Doesn’t mean Texas won’t get him but it makes it harder. 

Texas isn’t likely to take Glass. They’d rather take less than go there, as far as I hear. I expect pursuit of a GT to compliment Ingram. DY and Brown plus a GT equal a full roster of TBs. 

3 minutes ago, MexHorn said:

How does Houston compare to lewis or washington since i doubt he stays committed if we get both?

He's a take the top off the defense outside wr, or a Z. He's completely different from the other guys we've looked at in this class other than Ellis 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Based on no official football scouting ability whatsoever I thought Lewis was the best wide receiver in the state when watching everyone’s highlights. It is becoming clear to me who the biggest loser is going to be in the ascension of Texas football and Herman. 

If I am Gary Patterson I start having my agent ask around this off-season. We are taking all of those late bloomers that he has made a living on taking. 

Texas won't push Houston out of this class. Just listen to Herman in the press conference after the OU game. 
He talked a lot about not having elite speed and recruiting guys like OU has on offense. Texas is looking for speed. 

There are instances of Herman focusing on some of Mack Brown’s key tenants, such as having a good relationship with the high school coaches. Mack also purposely upgraded his roster with more speed to compete with OU.

1 minute ago, MexHorn said:

Thanks for the replies. Just wondering about wr numbers. 2 slots in whittington and 3rd Shipley, 1 burner in Houston and looking like 2 big guys in lewis and wash, plus maybe higs or bru longshots

We have the available scholarships so, why not? 

5 minutes ago, MexHorn said:

Thanks for the replies. Just wondering about wr numbers. 2 slots in whittington and 3rd Shipley, 1 burner in Houston and looking like 2 big guys in lewis and wash, plus maybe higs or bru longshots

you forgot about the new transfer rules, bro.  waddle arrives in december. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MexHorn said:
4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:
We have the available scholarships so, why not? 

I have zero issues taking them all, especially with Herman showing no hesitation clearing deadwood, but i cant see 6+ receivers commiting in the same class

Six only makes sense to me if Bru or Wilson jump on board late. You're taking spots from other positions 

Texas starts 3 JRs. Two could very well declare after the season. After that, Heard and Burt are SR's and Jamison is a DB. That leaves the 3 freshmen. Eagles and Moore look like they belong. Woodard is RS'ing. Pouncey is a ST guy. So you are looking at 4 returning WRs that you are comfortable playing, and Woodard hasn't taken a snap. There is plenty of room for 5-6 takes in this class.

• Like 2