Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

13 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

So, with the caveat that nothing is obviously in the bag yet, I am slightly disappointed in what we are bringing in.

Team rankings: https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

Texas rankings: https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=Highschool&State=TX

Team rankings show Aggy at #2 and Oklahoma (they were above us) ~ equal to us with 3 fewer players.

Texas rankings don't show the whole picture, we have important players from out of state. However, the concern about our lines is warranted. Of the top 40 players in Texas, 12 are linemen. Of those, we have two, and one of the two is Javonne Shepherd. We should have half of them.

Shit I don't even mind Georgia and Stanford and Ohio State grabbing a player or two, it happens. But fucking A&M and Oklahoma both having (most likely) better classes than us, even if our class is good, even if our class fills a huge number of holes, even if our guys are "high upside" it fucking chaps my hide that A&M and OU seem to have better classes.   

I'm really hoping for some kind of miracle where we flip one or two guys from A&M or OU. Not so much because we need it, I just don't want A&M, in particular, to start stockpiling talent. If they do, they'll start winning. And I really don't like that. Playing against Theo Wease isn't gonna be fun. We ought to be keeping more of these players home. We had like 9 of the best 11 in Texas last year, now it's only like two.

Rankings aren't everything, but stars matter, that's been proven. We didn't dominate the rankings this year, or even Texas. Not disappointed, but I feel we should do better, and the concern is the lines. It's really the only specific area, but it's also the most important.

Well it's about that time of the year isn't it?

21 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

So, with the caveat that nothing is obviously in the bag yet, I am slightly disappointed in what we are bringing in.

Team rankings: https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

Texas rankings: https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=Highschool&State=TX

Team rankings show Aggy at #2 and Oklahoma (they were above us) ~ equal to us with 3 fewer players.

Texas rankings don't show the whole picture, we have important players from out of state. However, the concern about our lines is warranted. Of the top 40 players in Texas, 12 are linemen. Of those, we have two, and one of the two is Javonne Shepherd. We should have half of them.

Shit I don't even mind Georgia and Stanford and Ohio State grabbing a player or two, it happens. But fucking A&M and Oklahoma both having (most likely) better classes than us, even if our class is good, even if our class fills a huge number of holes, even if our guys are "high upside" it fucking chaps my hide that A&M and OU seem to have better classes.   

I'm really hoping for some kind of miracle where we flip one or two guys from A&M or OU. Not so much because we need it, I just don't want A&M, in particular, to start stockpiling talent. If they do, they'll start winning. And I really don't like that. Playing against Theo Wease isn't gonna be fun. We ought to be keeping more of these players home. We had like 9 of the best 11 in Texas last year, now it's only like two.

Rankings aren't everything, but stars matter, that's been proven. We didn't dominate the rankings this year, or even Texas. Not disappointed, but I feel we should do better, and the concern is the lines. It's really the only specific area, but it's also the most important.

tenor.gif

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

giphy.gif

Eat a Snickers please..... every time you get hungry you turn into a Diva

Edited by LTtxfan

23 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

I wasn't aware that signing day had already passed.  I guess we are done with the 2019 class. Thanks for the heads up.  

13 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

That being said, maybe we can pull in a couple of surprises to help this class a little.  You don’t see Saban slacking off in recruiting.  IMHO

Why are people talking like this class is trash? 

It's the #7 class in the country and might even rise based on how Texas closes. This class isn't going to be much worse than the #3 class in the country last year. 

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I also think you guys should leave for a negative signing day surprise for those fightin’ Texas ATM Aggies. Call it a hilarious hunch and no, it has nothing to do with Texas.  

Karen Key Largo reveals herself to be undercover FBI agent Burt Macklin, and she/he takes down Jimbo and his bag men?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I also think you guys should leave for a negative signing day surprise for those fightin’ Texas ATM Aggies. Call it a hilarious hunch and no, it has nothing to do with Texas.  

Zach Calzada reveals himself to be the first human/calzone hybrid. Terry Price eats him as soon as soon as he arrives to campus.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thetexashammer said:

Yes, signing a top ten class that addresses every position and every need is a huge failure. 

• Like 4

College Station P.D. investigates a string of arsons, leading them to the doorstep of Tim Brewster. They finally put two and two together realizing his tweets have been public cries for help and admissions all along. He goes to prison for 49 years, screaming "The Station is lit!" as he is led away. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I think we can convince him that even if Helton is retained, he is a dead man walking while they work on his buyout and coaching search. That won’t be hard to do because it is the truth and it is self evident to anyone with two brain cells. 

If he goes to USC even under these circumstances, he was never coming here. 

Let’s just hire Helton to replace Mehringer, then sign McCoy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

You got me bro. I'll go ahead and confirm "slightly disappointed". I prefer to crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and hear the lamentation of their women.

What did you think of JP Urquidez as a recruit for us? How’s that working out?

Don’t be stupid. 

• Like 1

Dameyune Craig is Jenny Craig's younger brother, and he's been trying to get out of her shadow his whole life. He linked up with Jimbo a while back, after hearing Jimbo say he was going to start a muskrat jerky company. Dameyune believed this was his he opportunity to ingratiate himself with Jimbo, so that Dameyune (like his older sister Jenny) would have an opportunity to be a food mogul someday. 

Now that Jimbo has a $75mm guaranteed deal, they finally have the seed money needed to open their first shop. They buy 200 USDA prime muskrats and quit coaching football to focus on the jerky industry. 

Stars matter, but the small spread between the top ten teams in rankings makes it very difficult to really know whose recruited the best among the top ten because:

1. 5 stars - have a very good chance of being good to great but no team signs more than a few every year.

2. 4 stars - half pan out and half don’t. Did your team get mostly good ones or mostly bad ones?

3. 3 stars - there are so many bodies lumped into this rating, its extremely difficult to know who got more good 3 stars and who got more bad 3 star players.

4. Other factors - not reflected in the star ratings, grades, attitude, intelligence, work ethic.

As a result of the above, track records of the results of previous classes is almost a better predictor than the star ratings of the top ten teams. They show that a staff has a process for identifying the better 4 and 3 star players, and addressing the other factors.

So far, Herman looks pretty darn good.

• Like 1

Just now, EZ$ said:

We will be “back” when we can get about 5-6 years straight with our “bad” years being  top 10 classes and our good years are top 3 classes.  We are well on our way. 

That's not really Texas' historical level. The good Mack years were a positive abberation, goosed by being super chummy with the Rivals mongonauts. Now when you look at what we should be, sure let's do that.

E.J. Holland: Who's next? A look at five commit candidates

Texas made a splash this week as it scored a big commitment from three-star defensive lineman Myron Warren and moved closer to a Top 5 spot in the national team recruiting rankings. So who's next? Here is a look at five candidates that could join the future.

RB Noah Cain, IMG Academy (Fla.)

With five-star running back John Emery heading to LSU, the door is open for the Longhorns to close with one of their top remaining priorities. Texas is surging on the 247Sports Crystal Ball after a successful official visit, and it is important to note that his mother lives in the Dallas-area. Penn State is also a factor here, but Texas appears to have the advantage going into his Dec. 19 decision date.

OL Isaiah Hookfin, FB Dulles

Texas recently put an offer on the table for Hookfin and wowed him on an unofficial visit earlier this month. Texas is set to get him back on campus for an official visit on Dec. 7, a decision is expected to come soon after. One of the fastest rising 2019 prospects in the country, Hookfin has garnered several major offers, but Texas has separated itself from the pack.

DL Jacoby Jones, Butler C.C.

Texas has three defensive line commits in its 2019 class and is looking to close up shop with a junior college addition. Jones has always been at the top of the board and his recent decommitment from rival Oklahoma gave Texas the inside track to earn his signature. Texas made an impression on Jones on his official visit over the weekend and could close sooner rather than later.

ILB Caleb Johnson, Fullerton College

Johnson recently backed out of his commitment to Iowa State and made an official visit to Texas. The JUCO product named UT his leader after the trip to Austin. But his recruitment has shifted a bit since then. Johnson made an OV to Arkansas and also picked up an offer from childhood favorite Oregon, which is slated to receive his final official visit later this month. Johnson will make his decision in early December.

ATH Bru McCoy, Mater Dei (Calif.)

It might be a little surprising to see McCoy's name on this list as most experts still have him pegged to USC. However, Texas has a ton of momentum in this recruitment after hosting him for an official visit this fall. McCoy and his family loved their time on campus and built a great relationship with the coaching staff. With so many question marks surrounding the USC program, the chances of McCoy leaving the West Coast have never been higher.

13 minutes ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Who's next? A look at five commit candidates

Reveal hidden contents

Texas made a splash this week as it scored a big commitment from three-star defensive lineman Myron Warren and moved closer to a Top 5 spot in the national team recruiting rankings. So who's next? Here is a look at five candidates that could join the future.

RB Noah Cain, IMG Academy (Fla.)

With five-star running back John Emery heading to LSU, the door is open for the Longhorns to close with one of their top remaining priorities. Texas is surging on the 247Sports Crystal Ball after a successful official visit, and it is important to note that his mother lives in the Dallas-area. Penn State is also a factor here, but Texas appears to have the advantage going into his Dec. 19 decision date.

OL Isaiah Hookfin, FB Dulles

Texas recently put an offer on the table for Hookfin and wowed him on an unofficial visit earlier this month. Texas is set to get him back on campus for an official visit on Dec. 7, a decision is expected to come soon after. One of the fastest rising 2019 prospects in the country, Hookfin has garnered several major offers, but Texas has separated itself from the pack.

DL Jacoby Jones, Butler C.C.

Texas has three defensive line commits in its 2019 class and is looking to close up shop with a junior college addition. Jones has always been at the top of the board and his recent decommitment from rival Oklahoma gave Texas the inside track to earn his signature. Texas made an impression on Jones on his official visit over the weekend and could close sooner rather than later.

ILB Caleb Johnson, Fullerton College

Johnson recently backed out of his commitment to Iowa State and made an official visit to Texas. The JUCO product named UT his leader after the trip to Austin. But his recruitment has shifted a bit since then. Johnson made an OV to Arkansas and also picked up an offer from childhood favorite Oregon, which is slated to receive his final official visit later this month. Johnson will make his decision in early December.

ATH Bru McCoy, Mater Dei (Calif.)

It might be a little surprising to see McCoy's name on this list as most experts still have him pegged to USC. However, Texas has a ton of momentum in this recruitment after hosting him for an official visit this fall. McCoy and his family loved their time on campus and built a great relationship with the coaching staff. With so many question marks surrounding the USC program, the chances of McCoy leaving the West Coast have never been higher.

I just got around to watching Jones' individual game highlights from this year and I'm actually really impressed with how well he uses his hands (that's what she said). He looks like he has a good motor and is steady against the run. He's not a super elite athlete or anything like, but I think he'll come in an provide a solid option at DE right away.