Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Heres my theory on Cain. He kept schools on the line trying to up his price. Thats why mama loved coach at Pedo State. They won the bidding war. 

Cain wanted to go to Texas for various reasons. Drayyon and staying close to home major among them. But Texas wasnt paying. 

Thats why he had the water works at signing. He was thinking Texas. But he couldnt turn down the money. Especially with his whole family sitting there waiting to get paid. 

• Like 1

Higgins looked good.  Washington looks really good too.  He's not just a big raw athlete like Lewis.  Washington can ball and had committable offer from bama and ohio state.  Fucking Barton Simmons dropped him at a camp because he was injured.... a camp he still won WR MVP at.  fucking idiot.

11 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Higgins looked good.  Washington looks really good too.  He's not just a big raw athlete like Lewis.  Washington can ball and had committable offer from bama and ohio state.  Fucking Barton Simmons dropped him at a camp because he was injured.... a camp he still won WR MVP at.  fucking idiot.

Agreed - I liked Washington's video linked above.  Seems to have some very good quick twitch about him.  I'm not sure that Euro-step looking hesitation move he kept doing will work in a game, but still he looks like a player.

3 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Heres my theory on Cain. He kept schools on the line trying to up his price. Thats why mama loved coach at Pedo State. They won the bidding war. 

Cain wanted to go to Texas for various reasons. Drayyon and staying close to home major among them. But Texas wasnt paying. 

Thats why he had the water works at signing. He was thinking Texas. But he couldnt turn down the money. Especially with his whole family sitting there waiting to get paid. 

Holy shit am I on texfags? That’s some serious aggy spin. Just stop.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Lone Star Horn said:

I believe the medical term is ballsaholic, she can put both balls in her mouth

12 hours ago, Bevo said:

and whistle?

30 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

But gargling. Is gargling balls involved here?
Because it’d be cool if it was.

hell yes, she can whistle, gargle and recite the alphabet with both balls in her mouth. she's talented

4 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

This is retarded.

Good luck to Cain at Penn State. He should be a very good college running back and I wish he had signed with the good guys. I hope this doesn't sound like aggy, but I don't think he will be a difference maker that would determine our winning a conference championship or going to the playoffs.

I do think we missed on a couple of players this time around who could be those difference makers.

Edited by Sabalo

9 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

USC OC/former Texas Tech coach Kliff Kingsbury has declined a lucrative offer” to become coach at Houston, source tol@WatchStadium. WVU’s Dana Holgorsen is UH’s next targetsource said.

This according to Bret McMurphy tonight.

Stupid move by Kliffie. Guess West Hollywood parties matter more to him. He would absolutely wreck shop in H-Town.

16 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

Good luck to Cain at Penn State. He should be a very good college running back and I wish he had signed with the good guys. I hope this doesn't sound like aggy, but I don't think he will be a difference maker that would determine our winning a conference championship or going to the playoffs.

I do think we missed on a couple of players this time around who could be those difference makers.

Nah I hope he sucks at football there. It's Penn State.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Whataya got on global warming or those crazy circles in the corn fields?

27 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Stupid move by Kliffie. Guess West Hollywood parties matter more to him. He would absolutely wreck shop in H-Town.

Nope.  Good move.  Fuck working for Fertitta and that clown show.  Go to LA.  Kill it. And see where you're at next year

Houston isn't a good job. 

• Like 3

The Stampede: In-depth look at potential offers, grad transfers

With the early signing period in the rear view mirror, Texas has turned its attention to gearing up for the Sugar Bowl. However, there is only about a month left before the late period, and that means Texas needs to identify more talent as the Longhorns are looking to add around four more members to its 2019 class. More names will pop up in coming weeks, but here are a dozen prospects that Texas is in the process of evaluating or has been in contact with.

RB Micah Kelly, Ocean Springs (MS) — Kelly doesn’t have a composite ranking, but he’s a prospect that could really see his stock rise during the late period. He currently holds half a dozen offers from smaller FBS schools like Arkansas State, Colorado State and Toledo.

OL Ira Henry, St. Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) — This one makes a lot of sense. Texas has a strong tie to his high school, and he was a teammate of signee Marcus Washington. On top of that, Henry would fill a need as an interior offensive lineman. The three-star prospect is high on Illinois, Missouri and Ole Miss and has a January OV set up to Florida.

OL Camron Johnson, Shadow Creek — A former Colorado commit, Johnson is wide open in his recruitment. He is an athletic right tackle prospect that could slide inside at the next level. Johnson was part of a Shadow Creek team that advanced to the state finals and should attract plenty of suitors during the late period.

OL James Price, Tyler JC — It’s no secret Texas is looking for some immediate help upfront, and Price is on the radar. The JUCO product, who is originally from Houston, holds 14 total offers, but it seems like Southern Miss and Georgia State are at the top of his list at this time.

OL Maisen Knight, Ventura College — Knight enrolled at Arizona coming out of high school but ended up going the JUCO route. He holds offers from Kent State, Liberty and Middle Tennessee State and is a prospect on the radar.

OL Desmond Bland, Arizona Western C.C. — Texas has recruited Arizona Western in the past, and Bland is one of the top remaining junior college offensive linemen on the board. He is currently committed to Nebraska but did not sign during the early period, which means his recruitment could get interesting.

OL Tim Anderson, Saddleback College — A three-star prospect, Anderson holds 15 total offers and has made official visits to Arkansas and Louisville. He is a prospect that has actually been on UT’s radar over the last couple of months.

DL Ja'Darien Boykin, Jones County (GA) — A four-star prospect, Boykin is one of the top unsigned high school defensive linemen. He has 15 offers and seems to be favoring Georgia Tech. However, Texas has had plenty of success recruiting the state of Georgia this cycle.

DL Joseph Appiah Darkwa, Duesseldorf (Germany) — A hidden gem this cycle, Appiah Darkwa could be a steal for someone. He is set to graduate in July and played at a high level in Germany. He actually holds offers from Georgia Tech, Rutgers and Virginia and could boom this spring.

DL Steven Parker, South Oak Cliff — A four-star prospect, Parker has the size, length and athleticism that the Longhorns look for in defensive linemen. Parker recently backed out of his verbal pledge to Texas Tech and will be a hot commodity during the late period.

DL Z'Core Brooks, Dallas Woodrow Wilson — Texas has always been intrigued by Brooks, who stands at 6-foot-6, 220 pounds. Oscar Giles saw him a couple of times this calendar year, and he is an interesting project with a lot of upside. Brooks holds offers from Oklahoma State, Purdue, SMU and others.

DL Elijah James, Iowa Western C.C. — Texas could opt to add another immediate impact player along the defensive line, and James is a late riser. He committed to Kentucky right before the early period but did not sign. He could blow up during the late period.

Of course, Texas is also in the market for grad transfers. Last year, the Longhorns had success by reeling in Cal’s Tre Watson. And it looks like they could once again go for an immediate impact player at the position after missing on elite backs Trey Sanders and Noah Cain during the early period. However, we have been unable to hunt down any grad transfer running backs that Texas is interested in at this time. Options will likely pop up after the Longhorns take on Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

With that said, Texas has already identified some potential grad transfer options along the offensive line. Calvin Anderson was a success last year, and the Longhorns will once again look to punch the right ticket this year. The player that makes the most sense is UCLA’s Justin Murphy. He is originally from Belton, where he played under Texas staffer Bob Shipley, and actually started off his career at Texas Tech.

Murphy was injured for a large portion of the 2018 season. This will be his sixth year of eligibility. Coming back home to Central Texas seems like destiny. Still, Texas is weighing its options, and Murphy does have an injury history. Texas did look at Nathan Eldridge from Arizona, but he is off to Oregon State, while Jacob Capra of Oregon decided to head to San Diego State. The Longhorns also hosted Butler's Tommy Kennedy, but he picked Miami during the early period. Alabama’s Richie Petitbon recently announced his decision to graduate and transfer. We haven’t heard much in the way of Texas interest, but he could be one to keep an eye on.

Jacoby Jones had a unique path to Texas. The three-star defensive lineman out of Butler C.C. is originally from Louisiana but started his high school career at DeSoto in the Dallas-area before moving back to the Bayou State and eventually finishing things off in St. Louis. Moving from high school to high school resulted in academic misfortune, and Jones was forced to go the junior college route. It was at the JUCO level where Jones really established himself as a major college football recruit. Jones, who signed with Texas during the early period, spoke exclusively with Horns247 about his journey to Austin in this Q&A.

EJ: What does it mean to you to go the JUCO route and reach your goal of playing at a big-time program?

JJ: It means a lot because it took a lot to get to where I’m at. All the long nights in Kansas with nobody there other than my teammates made me want to play for one of the biggest programs in the nation. I feel like I deserve it.

EJ: Everybody sees Last Chance U on Netflix. But what is it really like playing at the JUCO level?

JJ: It’s a grind. In the first season of Last Chance U, I’m actually on there making plays (laughs). But it’s really a grind. They make it seem a certain way at Independence on the show, but I don’t think they really worked like we did. I can’t really vouch for what they show on TV. I know behind closed doors, we’re really getting it in. We are a top notch JUCO powerhouse.

EJ: You were at three different high schools and had some grade issues. How proud are you of how you cleaned things up academically?

JJ: I’m too proud. I overcame a lot. I’m not going to lie, I was a troubled kid. But as I grew up and matured, I realized that if I wanted to do this, I had to put my all into it.

EJ: Your recruiting process had a couple of twists and turns. How did you handle it overall?

JJ: Every coach that I knew coming out of high school, I tried to keep up with through JUCO. I just came in and worked. My coaches and teammates told me I was going to be big because I have the work ethic. I knew as long as I worked, the recruiting was going to take care of itself.

EJ: How did the process get going with Texas?

JJ: They showed interest when I started blowing up. Coach (Oscar) Giles reached out to my position coach then he reached out to me. I visited and then it went from there. Nobody from Butler has ever gone to Texas. I’ll be the first. That’s crazy. I feel like it’s special and that I was meant to go there.

EJ: You have family ties in Dallas, but you told me you never grew up a Texas fan. So how did the Longhorns become major players in your recruitment?

JJ: It actually took me time to really start liking Texas. I didn’t necessarily care about the big name and brand because I wanted to be comfortable wherever I was going. I built relationships with Coach Giles, Coach (Tom) Herman and Bryan (Carrington) and also guys like Charles (Omenihu) and Gary Johnson. I just felt comfortable there. They made it feel like home.

EJ: Can you expand more on your relationships with the coaching staff?

JJ: Coach Giles is like a father figure. He’s been through it as a player. I want to learn from someone that has been through it all and has been in my spot. We both came from backgrounds where we turned nothing into something. I really respect Coach Giles as a man. He’s someone that can lead me. I still need that father figure in my life. I love Coach Herman and his attitude and agenda. I know he’s not going to play around when it’s time to go. Bryan and I have a great relationship. We talk all the time. He’s like a big bro.

EJ: You actually committed to Oklahoma before eventually landing at Texas. Why did you make the switch?

JJ: I feel like Coach Herman has something going on at Texas. It’s going to be really big next year. I wanted to be a part of that and make history. I love that the odds are against us because it makes you go harder. I felt like I needed to be in their program. I can come in and play right away. I like that Texas is in a bigger city. Oklahoma felt like I was still in Kansas. I’m not saying it’s bad, but I do want to get away from Kansas (laughs). In general, I just felt like Texas was the best fit.

EJ: Texas was always up there for you but at what point did you start considering making the flip from OU?

JJ: The defensive coordinator change at Oklahoma actually had no impact on my decision. It was more about my talks with Coach Giles. The official visit really sold it. It just felt like home. It’s a feeling that I can’t explain. It’s something only I know. I just felt like it was the right choice for me.

EJ: Now that you are officially part of the Texas program, how do you see yourself fitting in next season?

JJ: I don’t really like playing the 4i. I think I’m going to be doing a lot of pass rushing. I don’t think they have a lengthy pass rusher like me. I’ve talked to them about playing like a wide nine or an outside linebacker type. Coach (Todd) Orlando is going to set things up for me to make plays and do a lot of blitzing. I feel like I’m dynamic and can move around and make plays.

EJ: You only have two years left. How much do you think you’ll benefit from playing for Coach Orlando and Coach Giles?

JJ: I feel like Coach Giles can help me develop and become more technically sound. He can get my physical and mental toughness ready for the NFL. He can turn me up even more. It’s scary that I’m just getting started. I feel like Coach Orlando and Coach Giles can help me get to the point where I’m unstoppable.

EJ: What do you think Texas can accomplish in your two years with the program?

JJ: Big 12 Championship and National Championship. For me personally, I want to be a high round draft pick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

Washington was a borderline 5 star or may have been one early. Pretty much told tOSU to fuck off after that Zach Smith news broke. Definitely one of my favorite signings of this class. 

IT

By: Justin and Eric

These calendars go by pretty damn quick.

Remember, tonight is amateur hour so be safe if you elect to go out. But also, be the surge.

It's been a good year for Texas fandom. The 2018 season has served as a useful springboard into 2019. That's all we could ask for as Tom Herman works towards building a perennial contender.

Tuesday's Sugar Bowl is not only a final look at the 2018 team, it's a somewhat useful peek into the future. Two of UT's next three opponents are stereotypical SEC teams, not to be confused with atypical coattail riding SEC teams.That isn't exactly a match-up this program fears.

TEAM

"Hell yeah they're going to show up. They won't show up scared like OU did."

That quote from a program source brought a smile to a face, and probably on to you as well. But it has to be backed up on the field.

This team source has been pretty dead on about reading the team's preparedness. It was he that had me confident in the team heading into the Iowa State game. What's he saying this week?

"They have tons of respect for Georgia. It's not like heading into other games where they know they can show up and at a minimum be the most physical team. At the same time, they know they aren't going to be pushed around and are going to give as good as they get."

Should I predict a win?

"[laughter] It wouldn't surprise me. I like the match-up."

My source foreshadowed the team having more spirited practices once it arrived in NOLA and that has indeed been the case. The team seems focused and I'm sure a 10:00 curfew helps.

One thing to monitor will be the health of Caden Sterns. Herman said he should be good to go but I'm not so sure. He certainly isn't 100%. Pretty much every safety has taken reps at field safety this week, including Overshown.

The coaches are in a bit of a pickle as they want to get the youth some experience (and use it with recruits) but also obviously want to give themselves the best chance to win. I wouldn't be surprised to see a sprinkling of youth out on the field.

On potential early NFL Draft departures: "Collin was never leaving. Brandon might have left if he didn't get miss those games. I don't think he will but his situation may need to be monitored. He has a lot of room for improvement. As of two weeks ago I would have said Lil'Jordan would be back. Now I'm not so sure."

RECRUITOCOSM

NOTES/QUOTES FROM UNDER ARMOUR 
Texas has five signees in Orlando for the Under Armour All American game this week. The kids hit the field yesterday with drills and some 1-on-1s. I spoke to a couple coaches involved with UA who are on the scene to check in on those signees.

Kenyatta Watson II - "He looks good. He was strong during the 1-on-1s session, moved real well during drills. For a kid his height, he flips his hips with effortless fluidity."

Roschon Johnson - "That kid is a quarterback. We love him. He's a smart guy, picks up things really quick. He's got a decent arm, and accurate from 20-30 yards. Good deep ball, but needs a little work. That'll come after a couple years in a college S&C program. I'm ready to see him in the 11-on-11 sessions. I know he can run and want to see him in the open field."

David Gbenda - "Really fast, sideline-to-sideline backer. Ultra athletic, and perfect for the Big 12 spread offenses. Great attitude and disposition. He wants to be great."

Marcus Washington - "Big kid who can run. Strong hands, uses his body well to shield DBs. He and Watson II locked up during the 1-on-1 session. Washington remarked how he didn't realize how long and tall Watson II was. KW2 returned the gesture and told his father he's glad Washington is headed to Austin."

Brayden Liebrock - "Big, athletic kid. Great frame and agility for a kid his size. Good hands. Texas got a good one here."

Of note: Jake Smith was invited to the UA game but declined for undisclosed reasons. We believe he's either nursing an injury or possibly in lacrosse season. I reached out to the Smiths and will update when I hear more.

They'll have a few more practices before the game on January 3rd in Orlando. We'll have more notes over the next few days.

MORE FROM BRAYDEN LIEBROCK 
The four-star tight end from Chandler, AZ and No. 5 rated TE (per 247) in the nation is soaking up the UA experience. He's come a long way and feels this is the culmination of all his hard work. He also knows how he'll be used once he steps on campus in June.

"(Herman) wants me more as that hybrid tight end that goes in catch balls and can also block for the running game" said Liebrock. "He's transforming the offense into 11 personnel where he can really utilize the tight ends."

Liebrock wasn't the only Arizona native to ink with Texas on NSD1. Notre Dame Prep (Scottsdale, AZ) wide receiver Jake Smith was also instrumental in Liebrock's burnt orange decision. But how much did Smith help?

"Quite a bit," said Liebrock. "(Jake) is a great guy, we talk a lot, he's a good friend. Having that relationship there will definitely make it a little easier."

At 6-foot-5, 220, Liebrock is acutely aware of his strengths and weaknesses.

"I think my receiving is better than my blocking right now," Liebrock said. "I kind of want to be more well rounded and put on more size, so I'll be able to take on those big defensive ends."

After offers from Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame, LSU, and Ohio State, it would've been easy to take visits and travel the country to different campuses. But something inside told him it was Texas and he's never thought twice.

"As soon as I took my official there," said Liebrock. "I took my unofficial there earlier and knew it was the place for me, but as soon as I took my official I kind of stepped on campus, saw everything and knew this would be home. I fell in love with everything."

2020 NOISE

This class is going to have everything from drama-free, lay-up recruitments and those that are curious and better left for happy hour discussions.

We caught up with a few of the big targets recently to get the latest. It's still a bit early to get full spring visit itinerary but you can bet these three targets will make their way to campus in the coming months. In fact, one just visited recently.

OL Jake Majors, Prosper: He's the Branson Bragg of the class, right down to being under-appreciated by the networks. Apparently there are 45 better players in the state for the class. Alrighty, then.

Majors was just on campus with Longhorn commit, Logan Parr. Parr has been putting work recruiting Majors and Chad Lindberg. "Yeah we are all getting to know each other good! Man I loved it. Hanging out with LP and Coach Hand for the day was a good way to spend a Saturday. It felt like home once I arrived in Austin."

Majors, along with Lindberg, fits the Stanford profile. I asked him what other schools are standing out besides UT, and if he had any spring visit plans. "Washington, Stanford, Oklahoma and Illinois stand out. Too early right now hope to figure it out soon."

If you're Texas, you want to be battling over kids who fit at Washington and Stanford. Of course, you have to win those recruitments. I like UT's positioning here, and it's evident the staff and Logan Parr are working to build a consensus over what could be the bedrock of not just a great o-line haul, but also class.

DB Jaylon Jones, Cibolo Steele: I caught up with the talented defender's father, Virgil. Jones' baseline traits are as good as any defensive back's in the class. Tons of length, plenty of twitch, and some dog are part of the package. He better have some dog, his dad was born in East Texas, his mother in Houston, and he in Florida. If it's this late in a player's career and I don't know what position he'll play it's either really good or really bad. This is the former as Jones currently projects anywhere from corner to Joker. What?

"We don’t have anything set as of yet other than Jaylon has signed on to attend the Texas Top 100 in Houston as well as the UA camp series. I’m sure he will do The Opening and play on a National 7v7 team. School-wise nothing has been set yet at this point."

Like we said, it's a bit early. Expect Texas to get a visit from Jones in February. Jason Washington has done an excellent job of building relationships and setting the foundation for a successful outcome.

DB Chris Thompson, Duncanville: If you watched the State Championship game you witnessed a very impressive defense featuring the future defensive back in a linebacker role. That's a great way to get a borderline elite talent involved in the game. Thompson can clearly play downfield, but he also has loose hips. He profiles to either safety position at Texas.

His father Chris, after I told him I was sorry about the outcome of the game (@Scipio Tex texted me it was the first time he felt terrible a team had to lose since the Miracle on Ice). "Not a problem. I felt like we gave away a state title but it’s over. All is well, we haven’t planned the summer yet. Chris attends the Future 50 in Orlando this week. Afterwards, we will sit down and figure out our Spring plans."

If you think Texas has a good 'in' because Ra'Shaad Samples is on staff and his father Reginald is Duncanville's head coach, you would be correct. However, as long as I've covered Samples' players he's never once given me an indication he steers his guys. That's commendable given his sway over kids.

Intel on both Thompson and his ultra-talented teammate, JaQuinden Jackson, have us predicting Texas for both.

https://247sports.com/Article/College-football-recruiting-Bo-Nix-Jayden-Daniels-continue-to-lead-quarterbacks-at-Under-Armour-127099206/

Day 2

1. Bo Nix, Pinson (Ala.) Valley – Auburn Nix, who is the No. 1 dual threat quarterback in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, had the best day again, and a large part of it was his decision making and his ability to get rid of the ball on time. He had plenty of zip on the throws, his accuracy was good and he made good decisions. He was comfortable and at ease throughout the two hour session.

2. Jayden Daniels, San Bernardino (Calif.) Cajon – Arizona State Daniels, who is the No. 2 dual threat quarterback in the 247Sports Composite, was not as consistent as Nix was throughout the day, and his accuracy was a bit hit and miss. He was clearly the second best quarterback for the second straight day, and his ability to release the ball quickly and spin it well stood out again. He was seen icing his shoulder toward the end of the session, so it is something to keep an eye on moving into the third day. He has an effortless delivery.

3. Joey Yellen, Mission Viejo (Calif.) High – Arizona State Yellen, who is the No. 12 pro-style quarterback in the 247Sports Composite, settled down on the second day and looked a lot more comfortable. He was more accurate and his release was free and easy. He showed touch on his throws and he put the ball in the proper place a lot of times. He still needs to show off his arm strength a little more by committing to throws more consistently, but it was a much better second day than first one.

4. Zach Calzada, Sugar Hill (Ga.) Lanier – Texas A&M It comes down to decisions and making the right ones, and doing it quickly was something Calzada did not do as well on the second day as he did the first one. His arm strength and ability to get rid of the ball quickly remained assets, but more consistency and with decisions, and getting rid of the ball on time need to improve moving toward the third day. His physical tools are impressive.

5. Roschon Johnson, Port Neches (Texas) Groves -- Texas Like was mentioned after the first day, there are not many dual-threat opportunities for the quarterbacks in this practice session and that does not play to the strength of Johnson, who is the No. 4 dual threat quarterback in the 247Sports Composite. Johnson has a hitch that keeps his release from being fluid. He struggled with his consistency as a drop back passer and was not sharp with his accuracy. He threw a lot of wobbly passes.

6. Michael Johnson Jr., Eugene (Ore.) Sheldon – Penn State Johnson, who is the No. 8 dual threat quarterback in the 247Sports Composite, showed his athleticism and his ability to be electric as a runner on several scrambles, but the throwing portion is a build for him. The ball does not come out free and easy, and he struggled with consistency in throwing spirals and with being accurate.

7 minutes ago, tittiesandbeer said:

https://247sports.com/Article/College-football-recruiting-Bo-Nix-Jayden-Daniels-continue-to-lead-quarterbacks-at-Under-Armour-127099206/

Day 2

1. Bo Nix, Pinson (Ala.) Valley – Auburn Nix, who is the No. 1 dual threat quarterback in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, had the best day again, and a large part of it was his decision making and his ability to get rid of the ball on time. He had plenty of zip on the throws, his accuracy was good and he made good decisions. He was comfortable and at ease throughout the two hour session.

2. Jayden Daniels, San Bernardino (Calif.) Cajon – Arizona State Daniels, who is the No. 2 dual threat quarterback in the 247Sports Composite, was not as consistent as Nix was throughout the day, and his accuracy was a bit hit and miss. He was clearly the second best quarterback for the second straight day, and his ability to release the ball quickly and spin it well stood out again. He was seen icing his shoulder toward the end of the session, so it is something to keep an eye on moving into the third day. He has an effortless delivery.

3. Joey Yellen, Mission Viejo (Calif.) High – Arizona State Yellen, who is the No. 12 pro-style quarterback in the 247Sports Composite, settled down on the second day and looked a lot more comfortable. He was more accurate and his release was free and easy. He showed touch on his throws and he put the ball in the proper place a lot of times. He still needs to show off his arm strength a little more by committing to throws more consistently, but it was a much better second day than first one.

4. Zach Calzada, Sugar Hill (Ga.) Lanier – Texas A&M It comes down to decisions and making the right ones, and doing it quickly was something Calzada did not do as well on the second day as he did the first one. His arm strength and ability to get rid of the ball quickly remained assets, but more consistency and with decisions, and getting rid of the ball on time need to improve moving toward the third day. His physical tools are impressive.

5. Roschon Johnson, Port Neches (Texas) Groves -- Texas Like was mentioned after the first day, there are not many dual-threat opportunities for the quarterbacks in this practice session and that does not play to the strength of Johnson, who is the No. 4 dual threat quarterback in the 247Sports Composite. Johnson has a hitch that keeps his release from being fluid. He struggled with his consistency as a drop back passer and was not sharp with his accuracy. He threw a lot of wobbly passes.

6. Michael Johnson Jr., Eugene (Ore.) Sheldon – Penn State Johnson, who is the No. 8 dual threat quarterback in the 247Sports Composite, showed his athleticism and his ability to be electric as a runner on several scrambles, but the throwing portion is a build for him. The ball does not come out free and easy, and he struggled with consistency in throwing spirals and with being accurate.

Yeah these camp are worthless for QBs

Edited by Not a Sock

1 minute ago, Sabalo said:

Okay, how about fuck Noah, he seems like he will be another Chris Warren tiptoeing his way to the next level and Derrian Brown seems like he is coming to ball.

Love Derrian Brown..... May not have same speed, but can BALL like Jamaal Charles..... 🤘 

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

"Hell yeah they're going to show up. They won't show up scared like OU did."

Fuck yes! You hear that boys?! Georgia doesn’t stand a chance! 

Yeah, that might have been the stupidest quote in a very stupid article.

Nearly all of the UA "quotes" on the recruits could have been written before the event even took place. I don't think they actually talked to anyone.

On 12/30/2018 at 2:03 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

So Holgo leverages the U of H job for a raise/more control at WVU and Kingsbury take the U of H job right? 

The WV AD may tell him to take a hike.  I just spent a week in WV with extended family and those people want him gone bad...and that was even before their shitastic excuse for a bowl game.

12 hours ago, hornyhorn said:

I'm actually pretty happy with RoJo's performance here, given that these drills are clearly not in his wheelhouse. I only saw one really bad pass. He does need to work on his mechanics, but he'll have time for that. 

Meanwhile... I'm now wondering even more why the hell Calzada was even invited. For every nice throw (and there were definitely a handful of those, to his credit) there were two clunkers. Maybe I'm mistaken, but you ought to have a fairly high completion percentage when passing against air, no?