Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Think you might be misinformed.... Below is an article that discusses the issues.  

Btw, going above the 25 limit is only allowed when you can take advantage of Early Enrollee count back rules....

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/mike-gundy-on-transfer-rule-ncaa-got-a-little-ahead-of-themselves/

The NCAA definitely did not think that so many kids would at least test the waters.  And, honestly, why wouldn't you unless you're starting.  Might as well test out FA and you could always retract w/o penalty.

If the rules stay the same, can put name into portal w/o penalty, rather than having to forfeit your scholarship first before testing, other rule changes are going to need to happen. At the very least I see raising the total number of scholies and number of players that can be taken in any one year.  Also, do we move to perpetual recruitment of other teams' second strings and just treat the portal as a "waiver wire" and secondary source for recruits year in and year out?  Interesting times.

2 minutes ago, sdhornesq said:

The NCAA definitely did not think that so many kids would at least test the waters.  And, honestly, why wouldn't you unless you're starting.  Might as well test out FA and you could always retract w/o penalty.

If the rules stay the same, can put name into portal w/o penalty, rather than having to forfeit your scholarship first before testing, other rule changes are going to need to happen. At the very least I see raising the total number of scholies and number of players that can be taken in any one year.  Also, do we move to perpetual recruitment of other teams' second strings and just treat the portal as a "waiver wire" and secondary source for recruits year in and year out?  Interesting times.

There is a penalty as instantly coach can block you from team functions and at end of semester revoke scholarship.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

SIAP. But here's some perspective from the USC side on the Bru McCoy story.

Reveal hidden contents

So you may have heard: five-star wide receiver Bru McCoy has entered the NCAA transfer portal and his intended destination is Texas. There are obviously a lot of questions about how something like this could happen and what does it mean for USC, so we will do our best to answer all of that here.

First, why would McCoy leave USC after being in school for less than three weeks? Talking to our sources very close to McCoy, there were a number of factors that went into his decision and it starts with some of the turnover on the USC coaching staff. McCoy loved Tee Martin and it was a big blow when he was fired. But when Kliff Kingsbury entered the picture, McCoy was extremely excited. McCoy loved Kingsbury’s offense and felt that was going to be a great fit. The impression we got was that with Tee gone, McCoy was much more likely to end up someplace like Texas. But when USC brought in Kingsbury that sort of sealed the deal. The optics of the timing of Kingsbury’s departure, just two days after the first day of classes, was strange, though we don’t believe that was any sort of factor in the decision.

Timing aside, McCoy did feel misguided by Kingsbury, and fair or not, that carried over as a lack of trust in USC. Kingsbury sold McCoy his offense with Kyle Ford, JT Daniels, and Bryce Young all in the room during his official visit to campus. Kingsbury did a great job drawing similarities between his offense and the offense McCoy had played in at Mater Dei. When that vision was dashed after Kingsbury's departure to the Arizona Cardinals, there was very little communication with the players and the coaching staff at USC, who were mostly out on the road recruiting. McCoy was uneasy about what type of offensive system USC would run and how he fit into it going forward. The lack of communication was underscored when USC was caught completely blindsided by the rumors that McCoy was ready to leave this week.

But to be fair, when McCoy was originally asked about transferring two weeks ago, he denied having any desire to leave. As recently as Wednesday, McCoy told people in the program that the rumors of him transferring were not true. This falls in line with McCoy telling reporters at the All-American Bowl that he had not signed a letter of intent during the early signing period when he in fact did. So, while McCoy had a right to feel out of the loop about the offensive coordinator situation at USC, he was also self-serving by not putting all of his cards on the table with the coaching staff two weeks ago.

We were told that McCoy loves Clay Helton as a person. He has been the one consistent presence in his recruitment as Helton began personally recruiting McCoy in the eighth grade. His relationship with Helton made this decision even harder, with JT Daniels and Amon-Ra St. Brown also trying to change McCoy’s mind during Wednesday's meeting. But how will that relationship and goodwill with USC play out in front of the NCAA? McCoy now has to paint a picture of hardship to petition the NCAA in order to be eligible to play next season after he transfers. His full release granted by USC is somewhat of a moot point, although it's important to note there are those in the program that feel it sets a bad precedent for recruiting moving forward.

McCoy's appeal to the NCAA will be a crapshoot, although we are told his family hired a lawyer to work out a case for hardship back when Kingsbury left USC. Typically, an assistant coach leaving isn’t considered a hardship, so McCoy will have to state another grievance or issue that developed during his time at USC. Seeing that this move looks somewhat plotted and planned, stemming from Kingsbury's specific departure, McCoy is going to need a good lawyer. Still, the family has given various sources the impression that will be playing for Texas next fall.

I would think KK carry’s more weight than the average OC especially with him going to the nfl to be a HC. It’s not that big of a stretch to think his lawyers might go that route IMO

Edited by DoneWithit

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

There is a penalty as instantly coach can block you from team functions and at end of semester revoke scholarship.

Potential risk, but coach can and probably should be recruiting to stay. Plus if it gets out that the coach is anti-FA, that should diminish the attractiveness of that program to future HS recruits.

The power has definitely shifted towards the players in that regard. Maybe not completely, but they definitely have more leverage.

4 minutes ago, Maker Bayfield said:

How great is it going to be in 3 years when we hear

"With the first pick in the NFL draft....The Arizona Cardinals select....Bru McCoy WR from the University of Texas"

In three years they have the first pick? I guess coach bro is going to do as well there as he did at Tech

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 2:20 PM, closetojumping said:

I have another buddy who told me two months ago to forget about McCoy. It was good advice and I haven't given him much thought since. If he announces for Texas tomorrow, I will shit a golden futureman figure and light Machinator's computer on fire. I realize your post was in jest, but throwing this out there for board thinking.

Hey CTJ, can we get an update on this?  I know you said “if he announces for Texas tomorrow”, but I figure the craziness of this scenario deserves the shitting of at least an aluminum or plastic futureman figure, maybe deleting the root directory of machinator’s hard drive?

I mean, EJ put in his CB for Bru to Texas in October and never wavered, so let’s just ask ourselves, who was more correct here?

• Like 3

Just now, Jebus said:

Hey CTJ, can we get an update on this?  I know you said “if he announces for Texas tomorrow”, but I figure the craziness of this scenario deserves the shitting of at least an aluminum or plastic futureman figure, maybe deleting the root directory of machinator’s hard drive?

I mean, EJ put in his CB for Bru to Texas in October and never wavered, so let’s just ask ourselves, who was more correct here?

Hi EJ!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What a glorious fucking work of art this has been. It's played out like some sort of slapstick comedy when viewed through the lens of this community. Well done all around to Herman, crew, McCoy, Clay Helton, TrojanPrincess, Kliff Kingsbury, Kliff Kingsbury's gay lover, EJ Holland's vagina, TFB's fucktardery, you guys, me, that dipshit over there, the aggies, and good ol'Barton Simmons and his band of 24/7 fuckwits. Outstanding.

This is what happens when you are the good guys!

2 minutes ago, Jebus said:

EJ thought Bru would *sign with Texas*.  He didn't.  Stahp this. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

EJ thought Bru would *sign with Texas*.  He didn't.  Stahp this. 

A few thoughts:

1) EJ is the worst, but he did maintain it was super close between us and SC for months and no one believed him.  It turned out to be some of his better reporting.

2) Screw EJ.

• Like 1