Texas recruiting notes 2019

8 minutes ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

Thanks.  I'm familiar with the basic process.  The issue is that @SydneyCartonseems to be implying that the current school is restricted in some way from trying to talk the player out of transferring.  I did a search before even asking the question and the only limitations I can find are on other schools' coaches contacting the player before his name is officially in the portal.  There is virtually nothing about the current school.

Nahlin:

It felt like the summer of 2016 again when Texas awaited word that Baylor players were going to be released from their NLI's. At first you're thinking no way it really happens, right?. Then, damn, maybe. Finally, hmmmmm, this is actually going to happen.

With Bru McCoy entering the portal, and thus requesting his transfer with Texas as the overwhelming favorite to land him, it came together much more quickly. I still went through all three stages.

So what does it all mean?

Remember when people wondered why Texas coaches were still 'liking' his tweets if he wasn't going to Texas? The reason was simple, there was no upside to not being gracious in defeat, especially with him being an ace of a kid. In recruiting, rarely does a bridge deserve burning.

One thing I've discovered over the years, and written about, is sometimes it's okay to be the bridesmaid. Despite it’s initial difficult starting point and its runner-up finish, the staff's diligent effort paid off. That’s why you recruit through the whistle.

Everything below assumes he ends up at Texas.

— UT will have added the MaxPreps player of the year to go along with the Gatorade player of the year, Jake Smith

— With Jordan Whittington getting his fifth star, this gives Texas two. McCoy is the composite #10 player in the nation

— Much of the national talk about wide receiver recruiting has centered around OU's fantastic haul, but you're huffing Krylon if you would take that group over UT's given the fits and needs

— I love Marcus Washington's fit as an X, and we could eventually see a scenario similar to Collin Johnson and Lil'Jordan Humphrey where you just have to get both guys on the field even though they profile to the same position. In this scenario I like Bru as the muscled up flex in place of LJH

— XWR isn't quite the same need in the 2020 class it was a day ago, but they'll still stay after Demond Demas and Troy Omeire. They're just playing with a little more house money now.

— I told you Texas would land one of McCoy, Elijah Higgins, and Garrett Wilson. Don’t stop believin’, imo

— It’s imperative that De’Gabriel Floyd and Bru McCoy love it at Texas. With an imploding USC, the two early enrollees would make great West Coast hosts for any spring visitors from out that way

The 'it was always going to be USC' crowd took a bad beat today, but I think they'll recover.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sushihorn said:

Thanks.  I'm familiar with the basic process.  The issue is that @SydneyCartonseems to be implying that the current school is restricted in some way from trying to talk the player out of transferring.  I did a search before even asking the question and the only limitations I can find are on other schools' coaches contacting the player before his name is officially in the portal.  There is virtually nothing about the current school.

No, what my intent was to tell you that they can't make a kid withdraw it, and they can't bar him from putting his name in the first place. The entire premise of my argument is it's much easier for Bru to stick to his guns once he's in the portal than it is fighting through layers of USC people telling him not to do it. It's what position he wants to argue fomm. 

Eric Nahlin: Bru McCoy enters the Transfer Portal

It felt like the summer of 2016 again when Texas awaited word that Baylor players were going to be released from their NLI's. At first you're thinking no way it really happens, right?. Then, damn, maybe. Finally, hmmmmm, this is actually going to happen. With Bru McCoy entering the portal, and thus requesting his transfer with Texas as the overwhelming favorite to land him, it came together much more quickly. I still went through all three stages.

So what does it all mean? Remember when people wondered why Texas coaches were still 'liking' his tweets if he wasn't going to Texas? The reason was simple, there was no upside to not being gracious in defeat, especially with him being an ace of a kid. In recruiting, rarely does a bridge deserve burning. One thing I've discovered over the years, and written about, is sometimes it's okay to be the bridesmaid. Despite it’s initial difficult starting point and its runner-up finish, the staff's diligent effort paid off. That’s why you recruit through the whistle.

Everything below assumes he ends up at Texas.

— UT will have added the MaxPreps player of the year to go along with the Gatorade player of the year, Jake Smith

— With Jordan Whittington getting his fifth star, this gives Texas two. McCoy is the composite #10 player in the nation

— Much of the national talk about wide receiver recruiting has centered around OU's fantastic haul, but you're huffing Krylon if you would take that group over UT's given the fits and needs

— I love Marcus Washington's fit as an X, and we could eventually see a scenario similar to Collin Johnson and Lil'Jordan Humphrey where you just have to get both guys on the field even though they profile to the same position. In this scenario I like Bru as the muscled up flex in place of LJH

— XWR isn't quite the same need in the 2020 class it was a day ago, but they'll still stay after Demond Demas and Troy Omeire. They're just playing with a little more house money now.

— I told you Texas would land one of McCoy, Elijah Higgins, and Garrett Wilson. Don’t stop believin’, imo

— It’s imperative that De’Gabriel Floyd and Bru McCoy love it at Texas. With an imploding USC, the two early enrollees would make great West Coast hosts for any spring visitors from out that way

The 'it was always going to be USC' crowd took a bad beat today, but I think they'll recover.

Edited by satyanash

3 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

I read throught them last night and I came away with the same observation. 

It would seem odd to have a rule restricting contact with a player that is currently on scholarship at your school even if he has a desire to leave. 

4 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

You are reading it correctly. Of course the school he is at can try to convince him to stay.