If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I don't keep up with it as not my practice area but it's pretty settled law.  Although I know the FTC proposed a rule earlier this year that would kill it but haven't followed where that went.  The concept is obviously extremely pro-employer/anti-worker. 

I’m just an armchair lawyer but this website says, per Metalico Pittsburgh Inc. v. Douglas Newman, Ray Medred and Allegheny Raw Materialsthat non-competes only apply after the term of employment ends if the employee continues to work as an “at will” employee.  someone who went to law school can correct me.

https://non-compete.law/2017/05/03/does-a-non-compete-expire-when-the-term-of-an-employment-contract-ends/

1 hour ago, futureman said:

I’m just an armchair lawyer but this website says, per Metalico Pittsburgh Inc. v. Douglas Newman, Ray Medred and Allegheny Raw Materialsthat non-competes only apply after the term of employment ends if the employee continues to work as an “at will” employee.  someone who went to law school can correct me.

https://non-compete.law/2017/05/03/does-a-non-compete-expire-when-the-term-of-an-employment-contract-ends/

As someone that went to law school, I can tell you I wouldn't count on a Pennsylvania court case giving you a definitive answer in Texas.  I also think it's somewhat worthless to speculate because none of us knows what their employment agreement says.  It also sounds like they might have worked a short period outside the terms of their contract to the extent that matters.  Again, none of us know the facts and I know enough to know that non-compete enforceability is very fact specific.  

I'll say this, I would be shocked if they were able to start at The Freak on Monday to the extent that actually was their plan (and it certainly doesn't sound like that is their plan as of now based on their video).

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 2

This shit really bums me out. I've listened to Bob and Dan since the beginning. I was cool with them breaking up because I wanted Jake to get his shot. And now it's all over, at least this version. Something just doesn't sit right with me on that video and how Jake was in it.

Feels appropriate.

https://www.theunticket.com/dfw-hurts-playoff-losses/

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This shit really bums me out. I've listened to Bob and Dan since the beginning. I was cool with them breaking up because I wanted Jake to get his shot. And now it's all over, at least this version. Something just doesn't sit right with me on that video and how Jake was in it.

Feels appropriate.

https://www.theunticket.com/dfw-hurts-playoff-losses/

Yea man it’s weird as hell to admit but even losing them from 12-3 kind of put me in an afternoon funk lol. Gonna miss them

• Hook 'Em 2

The Ticket is like a successful child who can't escape his loser family.  

On top of Gordo (well all of them) realizing that fact he is also probably sad because he lost two brothers in uncomfortable, sarcastic biting humor at the station.  Corby and George are goofball fun.  Donny and Craig are straight men (well maybe not Craig) and Bob is stick up his ass man.  Dave is in the same vein but that is it.  Dan and Jake went about it a different way as both are way drier and generally more subtle than the in-your-face antics of Gordon (Dan could go for antics of course here and there but that wasn't his day-to-day style), but it was all kind of in the same vein of "I'm gonna say or do something uncomfortable for laughs".     

Also I always really liked Jake, thought he was very good. But, even if you don't like him you have to acknowledge that dude persevered, worked hard, honed his craft, and finally got his opportunity.  In fact isn't he the first person since Corby to make it from some lower internal position to a full-time on-air host/personality?  Seeing all that flush away in three years can't be really motivating for the other lower-tier guys.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

Anyone got a video of Gordon’s twitch? Missed it. 

Lots of Dan haters changed their ways it seems. Love to see that. Dans got something. Hope he and Jake have a podcast ad on the ticket soon. 

other thought is they go to the freak in 6 months and dominate the 10-3 slot and the freak takes down the ticket one bite at a time.  

the ticket we all loved, lots will disagree, died when Mike left. Musers are getting old. Jub doesn’t want to wake up at 4 anymore. Junes for sure doesn’t. Jake was the leader of the young talent. Mino is fucking awesome. Wouldn’t be where he is without Jake paving the way for young guys getting a shot. Seems that they give his buddy and qualified host Monty the shaft a lot. 

there are a lot of talented on air hosts at the ticket. Ryan medillin and Sean bass aren’t them. Cirque at the ticket, now that was something. 

We are in the end days friends. Might last ten years until the musers slowly retire. But it’s over fellas. 

let’s close this thread. Start a new one. 

Dan is gone. Long live Dan. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It’s not a stretch. He’s the best thing about the station. Gordon does 3 segments.  All great. Dan did three hours of awesome every day. Find me a bad radio/hang zone segment that wasn’t at least the slightest bit interesting. 

Weird hill to die on. But I will. 

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

The Ticket is like a successful child who can't escape his loser family.  

On top of Gordo (well all of them) realizing that fact he is also probably sad because he lost two brothers in uncomfortable, sarcastic biting humor at the station.  Corby and George are goofball fun.  Donny and Craig are straight men (well maybe not Craig) and Bob is stick up his ass man.  Dave is in the same vein but that is it.  Dan and Jake went about it a different way as both are way drier and generally more subtle than the in-your-face antics of Gordon (Dan could go for antics of course here and there but that wasn't his day-to-day style), but it was all kind of in the same vein of "I'm gonna say or do something uncomfortable for laughs".     

Also I always really liked Jake, thought he was very good. But, even if you don't like him you have to acknowledge that dude persevered, worked hard, honed his craft, and finally got his opportunity.  In fact isn't he the first person since Corby to make it from some lower internal position to a full-time on-air host/personality?  Seeing all that flush away in three years can't be really motivating for the other lower-tier guys.  

Well put. 

13 hours ago, nolongerU2horn said:

almost all the hosts are going to be on, Musers + Corby and Bob. can't believe, honestly, that they are dumping Donovan like this and not including him.

edit: the hosts stance of "we are who we are and we trust management" is certainly an interesting one to take when you have 50% of your shows and 5 hours of airtime currently vacant. the last time they had to fill a slot outside of the ticket group was a looooooooooooooooong time ago.

some selected quotes:

• Jub: "they say they aren't going to come back and compete with us" or "compete with the ticket family"
  • Corby: "they were offered a lot of what they wanted"
  • damn, Bob legit crying :( "there was a term i never heard of 25 years ago and that's gutted" and he's "crushed"
  • Corby: "literally up until yesterday there was hope" and they worked super hard on trying to do all they could to keep them. said losing Jake is like "losing a little brother"
  • George: seems like they are losing a lot of people, "do you have any idea what is going on here?" Gordo - "we get spoiled by stability"
  • George is fired up about people laughing about it. "some of y'all thought we were dead in the water a year ago, we have had the highest ratings in the history of the station over the last year" - "we don't seek out your feedback, but we hear it and i don't forget it"
  • Junior: "this is an all sports station at it's heart and what happens to your favorite sports teams...they move on" someone said "players you love!"
  • Junior: "we are going to introduce 3 new hosts here sometime soon"
  • Gordo: "i hope everything works out for everybody. those guys swear this isn't about going out to compete with us...and we believe them"
  • Corby clearly thinks they are going to podcast. "they are good friends and thats why we fought for them so hard"
  • Bob: "the show will go on, the ticket will go on" and "the guys at this station are resolved that it will go on"

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So it really does seem like this came down to these guys wanting to do a podcast in addition to their show and Cumulus wouldn't budge.   Tough to know if Cumulus kind of let them walk without knowing the salary offer.  At the end of the day it really doesn't matter.  I still think people will listen to the Musers and the Hardline.  They will probably have a big drop off but still 'win' 10-3 based on brand recognition.  But I also still think that whenever the guys that were on the phone start thinking about retirement that The Ticket will die with them.  The reality is the best young talent that could have kept it going (Sirois and Jake) are both gone.  Of course, who knows if live radio is still even a thing 10-15 years from now.  I'm guessing Dan convinced Jake that would be the case and they are trying to get out in front of it.  

I'm hoping it's a podcast and not Spite FM. I think Dan had his foot out the door for a long time. He's done 30 years in radio and maybe the thrill is gone and he truly wants to do something non-sports or a mix but have it be on his terms. Maybe the Dragon Den showed him there was a different way to reach people and he was tired of going in over and over.  

They totally missed the opportunity to send Dan and Jake off with the respect they deserved and George had to make a stand.   So disappointing.
And even though I don't like Bob on the radio, I respect the fuck out of him for fighting through this.   Has to be so damn hard for him.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Jub was ready to throw hands in that segment. He was really getting worked up at the "critics". I don't know who he was referring to specifically, but even Gordo said he was "moving away" from him.

That was entertaining. 

I like George, but he was kinda being a dick about it.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

Really feels like Bob and Corby were really fighting for Dan and Jake. Courage Boys however, weren’t. That’s at least how that segment came off.

If Dan and Jake wanted to leave, there was nothing anyone could do to keep them. I don't get why people think the Musers could've affected that at all. Dan has probably had his fill of things and truly wants to do something new now that he doesn't have two kids at home. Jake's wife has a stable job. It's a pretty good time to strike out. 

6 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

Really feels like Bob and Corby were really fighting for Dan and Jake. Courage Boys however, weren’t. That’s at least how that segment came off.

If you listened to any of Gordo's twitch last night it was pretty clear he was fighting as well.  Not sure about Jub or Junior.   Something set George off but I agree it was probably unnecessary for that segment.

• Like 1

Radio is hard work when you have to be creative. I was blessed to be in radio in high school and interned at WHBQ doing production. For a bit of that time I was blessed to be there while Rick Dees was morning drive before they moved him to KHJ in LA. I learned how much work it takes to be really creative for four hours a day and make it all sound seamless.

The Ticket is an anomaly in having a dawn to dusk progression of shows that for the most part have been unchanged for decades. It doesn’t happen often. It takes a lot of work, and unfortunately the rewards both personally and corporately for terrestrial radio are diminishing fast. Cumulus has big $ three person payrolls on both drives; the middle of the day is the bridge. How much money can they continue to fund as their market cap shrinks?

It sounds like Dan is a bit butthurt, and wanted to seek something different. I’ve never seen him looking to do the same thing on a shitty station like 97.1. IHeart is going to pull the plug on that failed experiment at some point. I think Dan sees the wall and wanted to move to something else. Jake didn’t seem as enthused and sounded like he had been dragged into this.

And for all of you saying you’ll never listen again, the fact is tHe Ticket as a brand is very powerful and an ingrained habit. For the few that discuss this situation here there are many more thousands that will listen with no change. I don’t expect a catastrophic loss of share as Gordo will again dive in and save it if needed.

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

I thought pretty clearly he was referencing the folks at The Freak.  I haven't seen what was said on the socials but something set him off.

If the Freak guys were vocal in a competitive way on social media that makes me think they are either in negotiations or have come to an agreement to join when they can legally do so. Otherwise why would they give a shit? 

Unlike most on here I hope they do go to the Freak. For one the competition is great for the sports talk listeners of DFW. Then we get to listen to Dan and Jake in the same format instead of having to go to a podcast. I know for myself I'll never listen to sports talk or general talk in Podcast format. I only use podcasts for special interest stuff I'm passionate about that I can't get easily on regular radio. 

Also, if Cumulus is really cutting spending on talent and iheart is much more willing to pay for it then it's best for the P1 if there's a place for all the talent to go to locally after Cumulus low balls them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm sure Dan has lingering resentment since 12-3 has been stripped left and right to benefit the drive time shows. That's not the fault of the Musers or the HL. Mino deserved a promotion. I'm sure the issues with Julie and others getting furloughed and D&J having to supplement those people's incomes added to it. I think Dan and Jake might've stayed if it wasn't "a Cumulus station" and now's a good time to be their own bosses and not have to answer to anyone. I think going to the Freak would give them probably a greater leash but at the end of the day, you're still answering to a corporation. I guess I'm tired of the talent having anger tossed their way as it shouldn't be incumbent upon them to keep things the status quo. 

11 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I thought pretty clearly he was referencing the folks at The Freak.  I haven't seen what was said on the socials but something set him off.

Yes, he clearly was and good for him. It’s Rhyner and Julie who tweet underhanded shit constantly. Some Ticket radio personality needed to say it, and how they’ve fucking trounced those dorks. Ticket will be just fine here. Dan and Jake aren’t joining Freak. If they do, I’ll be surprised and it’ll be because their podcast failed and a complete change is needed. And that’d be only if The Fan negotiations fail. I don’t think they’re pro Freak at all. 

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Unlike most on here I hope they do go to the Freak. For one the competition is great for the sports talk listeners of DFW. Then we get to listen to Dan and Jake in the same format instead of having to go to a podcast. I know for myself I'll never listen to sports talk or general talk in Podcast format. I only use podcasts for special interest stuff I'm passionate about that I can't get easily on regular radio. 

This is where I'm at as well.  I've never listened to a podcast and I'm doubtful to start over this, especially if it's something I have to pay for.  I don't care if it's the freak or fan, but I'd like to get them back in midday slot somewhere.  

In the video Dan seemed very at peace while Jake was full of heavy sighs, etc.

I hope things work out for them.  I don't know the economics of podcasting or Patreon but it seems like there's a path there.  20k subscribers @$5/month probably puts them around $400-$500k each after production costs.  Now how likely they are to hit those numbers, I have no idea.

Maybe Dan will do a rollplay OnlyFans. ha ha

Sights from Super Bowl week: Sportsradio host dresses as young Andy Reid,  meets coach himself | FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF-TV | News, Weather, Sports

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Jub was ready to throw hands in that segment. He was really getting worked up at the "critics". I don't know who he was referring to specifically, but even Gordo said he was "moving away" from him.

That was entertaining. 

Simple going to simple.