2019 MLB thread

spystud13

He also can't block the plate without the ball, full stop.  Seeing as he never caught the ball...

Rule 7.13

1. A runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate). If, in the judgment of the Umpire, a runner attempting to score initiates contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate) in such a manner, the Umpire shall declare the runner out (even if the player covering home plate loses possession of the ball).
  2. Unless the catcher is in possession of the ball, the catcher cannot block the pathway of the runner as he is attempting to score. If, in the judgment of the Umpire, the catcher, without possession of the ball, blocks the pathway of the runner, the Umpire shall call or signal the runner safe. 

Edited by WBT

15 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

He was trying to avoid him on the inside and Lucroy moved right into his path. And paid for it. 

Avoid him on the inside path while Lucroy is on the inside path waiting for the throw and exposing the entire back path? Are you actually serious or is this another cloak room troll job? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

Avoid him on the inside path while Lucroy is on the inside path waiting for the throw and exposing the entire back path? Are you actually serious or is this another cloak room troll job? 

Lucroy wasn't inside until he moved into Jake to take the throw. He blocked him. 

Lol at these hot takes on Marisnick. He did nothing wrong. The fact the MLB overturned the safe ruling is a joke. I get player safety but you can’t eliminate 100% of collisions in baseball like the MLB is trying to do. Lucroy stepped into the path of Marisnick and he couldn’t avoid lucroy in time. Shit happens 

Lucroy was squarely in front of the plate in the middle of the baseline leaving Marisnick no path.  Marisnick had to choose inside, outside, or go through him.  He chose inside and then Lucroy moved inside...either to take the throw or to attempt to continue to block him.  You have to watch a replays/multiple angles to see how it played out and not rely on a couple of gotcha screencaps/gifs off of twitter.

Edited by WBT

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Lucroy wasn't inside until he moved into Jake to take the throw. He blocked him. 

The great aspect of slow mo gifs is that you can pause and restart and see each frame. If you actually watch the one gif posted that shows the entire play in slow mo you can’t possibly see what you’re describing.

Let’s break this down:

Jake heads down the line taking an inside position. 

Lucroy sets up for the throw in front of the plate with his left foot plated in front of the left corner of the plate. 

As the ball is about to arrive, Jake takes a euro step toward the back path and overcorrects putting him in a direct path to collide with Lucroy. 

Lucroy doesn’t look up at Jake until the ball has arrived, has held the same position for the duration of the play and isn’t blocking a viable path (any path other than the one Jake chose after the overcorrection which wasn’t even viable) to the plate. 

Jake collides with Lucroy so far in front of the plate that even with the subsequent tumble and roll toward the plate has to go back to touch the plate to (temporarily) score. 

You’re being intentionally obtuse.

Lucroy’s body is inside the foul line for the entirety of the play, then goes even more so when he tries to field the ball. 

I think marisnek assumed lucroy would get the ball and lunge across the plate, so he tried to cross him up and go inside of him but the throw didn’t allow for it. 

But I also don’t have much issue with the slides odor has made vs Houston that has that thread calling him dirty, so maybe I’m just ok with more physical plays occasionally. 

18 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

The great aspect of slow mo gifs is that you can pause and restart and see each frame. If you actually watch the one gif posted that shows the entire play in slow mo you can’t possibly see what you’re describing.

Let’s break this down:

Lucroy sets up for the throw in front of the plate with his left foot plated in front of the left corner of the plate. 

As the ball is about to arrive, Jake takes a euro step toward the back path and overcorrects putting him in a direct path to collide with Lucroy. 

Lucroy doesn’t look up at Jake until the ball has arrived, has held the same position for the duration of the play and isn’t blocking a viable path (any path other than the one Jake chose after the overcorrection which wasn’t even viable) to the plate. 

Jake collides with Lucroy so far in front of the plate that even with the subsequent tumble and roll toward the plate has to go back to touch the plate to (temporarily) score. 

You're being intentionally regarded. 

3 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

You're being intentionally regarded. 

Definitely not an Astros homer chiming in here. Jake messed up but he wasn’t out to hurt Lucroy...it was just a bad play with an unfortunate result. It’s ok to own it. You still won the game.

Edited by Henry Hill

26 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

Let’s break this down:

Lucroy did not hold his position for the duration of the play. He moved to catch the throw and in doing so got in front of the runner, a runner who was trying to avoid the catcher by moving to the inside. 

20 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Lucroy did not hold his position for the duration of the play. He moved to catch the throw and in doing so got in front of the runner, a runner who was trying to avoid the catcher by moving to the inside. 

You’re confusing holding a position with not moving at all. He is in front of the plate for the duration of the play and moves slightly to his left while still in front of the plate at the end of the play to attempt to make the catch. There isn’t a single frame in any replay that shows him moving backward to attempt to block the middle or back path. MLB reviewed every replay and angle and came to the same conclusion. Jake even stated himself after the game that he thought wrong and it resulted in a bad play.

So again, you’re wrong. Move on.

Edited by Henry Hill

44 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

You’re confusing holding a position with not moving at all. He is in front of the plate for the duration of the play and moves slightly to his left while still in front of the plate at the end of the play to attempt to make the catch. There isn’t a single frame in any replay that shows him moving backward to attempt to block the middle or back path. MLB reviewed every replay and angle and came to the same conclusion. Jake even stated himself after the game that he thought wrong and it resulted in a bad play.

So again, you’re wrong. Move on.

Yes. He guessed wrong.

The run should have counted.

16 hours ago, spystud13 said:

This is quite the shift on Joey. One IF. 

D-5wzRnWwAQ2vQT?format=jpg&name=large

So, when I see something like this, am I just being retarded when I think "bunt down the third base line?"  I mean, I must be, since it just to me looks like the obvious move.  I guess I'm missing something.

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

So, when I see something like this, am I just being retarded when I think "bunt down the third base line?"  I mean, I must be, since it just to me looks like the obvious move.  I guess I'm missing something.

I am not a big student of baseball, but I'd think the same and several smarter posters than me have made the same point. There's a few videos of players successfully bunting against a shift, it's not impossible.

Can we just talk about the Reds unis?

I assume this was throwing back to Big Klu?
Maybe he’s well known but I’d never heard of the guy until doing the GABP tour in June. Recruited off the Indiana football team after Reds groundskeeper saw him hitting bombs one spring training they held in Bloomington because of WWII travel restrictions. #themoreyouknow

Interesting stat on his Wikipedia page: he’s the only player to ever have 4 seasons of hitting 35+ home runs and having fewer K’s than HRs.

67a8217e907f94ea4eb94328fbca3f08.jpg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

He did earlier in the game, almost took 2. 

4 hours ago, GSU&UT said:

I am not a big student of baseball, but I'd think the same and several smarter posters than me have made the same point. There's a few videos of players successfully bunting against a shift, it's not impossible.

Gallo has done it 3 times since he has been back from his injury.  

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

So who does everyone have in the derby tonight?  

I know Vlady Jr will be a popular choice, but I think I am gonna go with Bell 

so hard to say because it's all about a)getting into a rhythm, and b)not tiring yourself out, and we don't exactly know who can do that. i'll go with alonso because he can just straight mash, but i'll be rooting for vladdy.

If the teams were reversed on that Marisnik play Astros fans would be the first ones calling for a lifetime ban on the runner. 
A hit like that is a one game suspension & hefty fine even in football.

God you’re a dumbass.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

If the teams were reversed on that Marisnik play Astros fans would be the first ones calling for a lifetime ban on the runner. 

A hit like that is a one game suspension & hefty fine even in football.

Yeah, no.  It was an unfortunate accident.  If you watch closely, Jake committed to going inside before Lucroy went inside.  He was forced to go around a catcher who was planted in the middle of the baseline without the ball.  Jake should have gone outside, knowing that catchers typically go inside to receive the throw then tag back.  But it's also true that Lucroy should've set up inside instead of blocking the baseline then moving inside.  The reality is that they each made a mistake and somebody got hurt.

They'll suspend Jake and he'll probably get beaned for it, but he didn't do anything wrong and I'd say that even he was a god damned Yankee.