Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

While I get the point, you absolutely go after Malone if he's interested, he's really fucking good.

100%. He's a take for anyone in the country. Even if baseball wasn't part of the equation, and it certainly is. He's an absolute freak. 

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

What is wrong with Burris, Ike, and Regis? Though it appears Burris is heading towards eating himself into a 2-3 year development track. What is the speculation why Jimbo seems infatuated with OOS recruiting?

Yeah, I mean even if Malone goes with baseball, you take him. He's great.

We are in on Burris and Regis, but I get the feeling they are guys we may just be keeping warm. I like both a lot, although I worry a little bit about Burris being ou scraps and the injury he had.

As far as national recruiting, I think it's a number of things. It's all Jimbo knows. He and the staff may be better connected elsewhere (Elijah Robinson in the NE, for example). They are confident in the evals (we'll see how those all play out). I also wonder if they don't think some Texas kids are maxxed out already, or there is no tread left on the tires. Ultimately, though, he's like any other coach in that he wants to find guys he thinks will help him win. He must think recruiting nationally does that.

31 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

Yeah, i mean if that is how he still looks, he's not an OT, which is what we need. I was pretty pissed when yall picked him up--I thought he had first round potential. I think if he got into (and actually followed) a good S&C program, he could get back to that level. Maybe wishful thinking, though.

His recruiting shenanigans told me his head wasn’t in football. He’s a piece of shit. So glad he’s not still wasting a scholarship here. People like him destroy programs. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

His recruiting shenanigans told me his head wasn’t in football. He’s a piece of shit. So glad he’s not still wasting a scholarship here. People like him destroy programs. 

What happened with him once he got on campus?

Just now, jordanaggie said:

What happened with him once he got on campus?

Seems that while coaches were coaching and players were working hard, he wasn’t. Things were different once the courtship was over and nobody was paying him special attention. He got distracted and started talking to people who convinced him he shouldn’t stay. And Texas certainly hasn’t been known for coddling players the last few years. 

His heart was never at Texas. 

26 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

Yeah, I mean even if Malone goes with baseball, you take him. He's great.

We are in on Burris and Regis, but I get the feeling they are guys we may just be keeping warm. I like both a lot, although I worry a little bit about Burris being ou scraps and the injury he had.

As far as national recruiting, I think it's a number of things. It's all Jimbo knows. He and the staff may be better connected elsewhere (Elijah Robinson in the NE, for example). They are confident in the evals (we'll see how those all play out). I also wonder if they don't think some Texas kids are maxxed out already, or there is no tread left on the tires. Ultimately, though, he's like any other coach in that he wants to find guys he thinks will help him win. He must think recruiting nationally does that.

Get the fuck out of here with this reasonable shit you fucking 2% aggy fuck. Burris isn’t going to OU because he knows the SECSEC is where the big boys play. And Jimbo recruits nationally because he can snap his fingers and have any five star he wants in the country, but he likes to take the hidden gems instead to give himself a challenge, that’s why he’s a champion in the prime of his career. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Seems that while coaches were coaching and players were working hard, he wasn’t. Things were different once the courtship was over and nobody was paying him special attention. He got distracted and started talking to people who convinced him he shouldn’t stay. And Texas certainly hasn’t been known for coddling players the last few years. 

His heart was never at Texas. 

It sounds like his heart is going to end up working at McDonald's. Makes you wonder how he lost all that weight. You'd think something must have changed.

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Get the fuck out of here with this reasonable shit you fucking 2% aggy fuck. Burris isn’t going to OU because he knows the SECSEC is where the big boys play. And Jimbo recruits nationally because he can snap his fingers and have any five star he wants in the country, but he likes to take the hidden gems instead to give himself a challenge, that’s why he’s a champion in the prime of his career. 

Lol. Come on, stop lying. He doesn't get those five stars without Karen's help.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I'm betting Malone doesn't make it to campus. This type raw power is something you don't find at players his age.

Some team will draft him high based on the trackman data. 

Have you checked out desmond watson? If he got down to the low 300lb range, he would be incredible. Great hands and feet.

Ok so [mention=5426]ALC[/mention], [mention=5422]DrPepper[/mention], and [mention=5424]jordanaggie[/mention], is Victory Vaka:
a) a tub of lard that no Pac12 school wanted
Or
b) a West Coast recruiting coup?
Discuss

Well when he committed he was a 4 star so obviously he was a coup. Now he’s a 3 star so....

Fuck Tarp

It’s been mentioned before, Jimbo recruits nationally because neither he or his coaches have strong Texas ties. It’s really that simple. They’re going to continue to get a handful of redass legacies and small town folk and pepper it in with dudes from NE, and leftovers from SE.

16 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I'm betting Malone doesn't make it to campus. This type raw power is something you don't find at players his age.

Some team will draft him high based on the trackman data. 

He doesn't have a baseball offer because HS guys with raw power like that don't play college baseball;  they get drafted early in the 1st round.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

He doesn't have a baseball offer because HS guys with raw power like that don't play college baseball;  they get drafted early in the 1st round.

I still have questions about Malone's long-term fit in baseball because of his size but that tweet was from January. Malone has plenty of schools that want him in baseball now. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Billy Liucci fields another round of subscriber questions about latest with Texas A&M football, including the Aggies’ best options up front and at defensive back, which pieces needed to be added along the trail and much, much more.

Billy Liucci: All right, welcome back. Another edition of Ask Liucci with Billy Liucci and Gabe Bock. We're here to answer you guys' questions this week. Gabe is going to fire them off one-by-one and what we don't get to hear in the next half hour, 40 minutes or so [or hour-plus] I'll be answering old school style. I'll always keep it where we do the written version too, so you guys can get both. 

Gabe Bock: Billy, if the season starts this fall, sometime, who are your starting four DBs and who is your starting five on the offensive line?

Billy: To start the season Gabe, I think you would look at moving from left to right. I think it'd be Dan Moore at left tackle. I think you'd actually see Kenyon Green moving to left guard. I think they may feel like they could really add, turn that into a very physical, powerful side of the line of scrimmage with those two over there. Center, I still think that's up for grabs between, there's a senior in Ryan McCollum and the newcomer at least to the rotation, if he wins a job and Luke Matthews. At right guard, I think Jared Hocker will start the season there and then Carson Green at right tackle.

Now the interesting ones... I really am a huge fan of Akinola. I really think it's just a tall order for him to get in there and beat out a senior at say right guard as a true freshman with a sort of shortened offseason, almost no offseason for him because he wasn't an early enrollee and getting in, but that's a guy I think, to keep an eye on. Then Chris Morris and Bankhead were here early. They've had a little more time in the weight room and stuff. I think that starting five is pretty highly likely to start the season.

In the secondary, it's a lot more difficult. It is a lot more difficult. You have a senior corner Myles Jones, you have a JUCO senior that flash looking really good at times last year, battling through injuries in Elijah Blades. You've got a kid in Brian George, who they're already starting to buzz about just his work ethic and attitude and just kind of got that mentality that you need on the island and a 6-2 rangy Corner that can really flip his hips and run, he's exceptionally talented.

Then the same thing with... Not the same thing, I think Jaylon Jones is one of the more talented guys on the roster frame, and the five-star corner out of Cibolo Steele who was here early. I think had there been spring ball, he'd be a starting corner right now or right there. Then even at safety, there's so many options. You could return to starters with Demani Richardson, essentially Leon O'Neal but also Keldrick Carper as a senior, very reliable player and Brian Williams, Antonio Johnson, there's a lot of options on the back end. Erick Young is one that I can't stop talking about, I think so.

I think you start off Demani and one of the two veterans Carper or Leon and probably Myles Jones. I could see it being miles and Jalen or miles and Elijah Blades to start off but I think there's so much movement as the year goes on in the secondary. I think that's the biggest... I think Jalen Jones and Erick Young, both by some point in the season, will crack that starting lineup and that's not even mentioning a guy like Brian George, who I think... You could start the season with two corners and end it with two other ones. It's good problems to have-

Gabe: Oh man.

Billy: ... If you're Mike Elko and TJ Rushing, you're finally starting to see that depth, but you've got a unique blend here in the secondary of experienced veterans and really exceptional young talent.

Gabe: Now we're starting to see it turned to where this is... This is what it feels like at LSU, Bama and Florida. 

Billy: Well, you're starting to turn in that direction and that's what you need to do.

Gabe: Could you fill out the remaining spots in the 2021 recruiting class with who you would like to see A&M sign?

Billy: These are good questions. They're harder to do verbally than just jot them down. Usually it's the other way around, but these are good ones but let me go through with it real quick. I'd like to see them land LJ Johnson, a runner back and either Amari Daniels or the running back that no one's talking about out of San Diego that I wrote about, I wanted to post this weekend. I think he's really good as well. I think the need is two there. At wide receiver, I would love to see them Brian Thomas, Louisiana or Yulkeith Brown out of Miami. I think Yulkeith is a really exceptional athlete. If you had a guy's like he and Shadrach Banks and Ainias Smith and Devon Achane, you've got so much versatility and flexibility with players like that because they're just pure football players, all of them.

Every one of those guys, I just mentioned Yulkeith is absolutely in that group. Up front goes without saying you'd love to see them add the five star A&M legacy in Bryce Foster. Big time player, SEC, West offensive lineman. If there ever was one, you'd hate to see, him in the Big 12 or the Pac-12, you lose him to one of those programs because this guy looks like an SEC road-grader. Again, if ever there was one. He's a guy... Two just, A&M to get Foster and Fatheree in the same class would be a monster one, two punch. I think they're going to do it again next year. I think they had that kind of talent at the top with Morris and Aki the year before.

You're really moving in the right direction on the line if you get him. For I think that last O-line spot, there's a lot of options. There's Kimo Makaneole. They're still going to continue to recruit Connor Tollison who shot up the rankings as he should have now. He's from... committed to Missouri. Give me Savion Byrd...longer shot, but a guy who has given A&M a look and A&M's reciprocating right now too. I would say, man, if you've got Foster and Byrd to go with Fatheree, Wycoff and Zuhn, call it a day and call it one of the better A&M O-line classes in a long time. That's offense.

Defensively, if they took a second linebacker, I'd love to see it be Terrence Cooks. I don't know if they're going to take a second linebacker. In the secondary, I would be ecstatic with the three commits plus the two Daniels, Kendal Daniels and MJ Daniels. If you sign those five, that's a damn near elite secondary hall. And then defensive line, There are a lot of options. D-line there's a lot of options. I would... Taleeq Robins, I think is grossly underrated. I'm really wanting to see A&M land him, and you're going to have to beat out Auburn and Georgia to get him by the way and Penn State. I would love see A&M get him.

Shemar Turner, one of my favorites on AM's board this year personally. I think he's right there to me with Foster and LJ Johnson in terms of just being right there on the cusp of the five star conversation should be any way. Give me Shemar, give me Landon Jackson, give me Taleeq Robbins and then I still say, I would love to see them land either Marcus Burris or Albert Regis. I think they're similar dudes, even though Burris tore his achilles. I know a lot of people haven't penciled into OU. Give me one of those two, Landon Jackson. I still think there's that need out there Shemar as a strong side in and Taleeq. I think that would be elite.

If you mixed... if you somehow had Twyone Malone in there, you got Twyone Malone and Shemar Turner, goodnight.

Shemar Turner, Bryce Foster, Reuben Fatheree, you're winning in the SEC trenches. I think A& M is building that O-line, D-line to be exceptional.

Gabe: Alright, a couple of running back questions: Assuming a relatively normal football season this year, how many all-purpose yards/TDs does Devon Achane end up with? I thought, Ainias played great in the bowl game last year at running back. How much does he cut into Spiller's caries in 2020?

Billy: It's not going to be a normal year, so I don't know. Let's say there was 12 games, I could see Achane reaching the end zone half dozen times, maybe with a... maybe a special teams return mixed in there, couple of runs, a couple catches maybe, he's special. But they've also got a lot of guys skill spots, handling the ball. I don't know all purpose yards. That's a real stretch, but to try to guess anyway... Here's the deal. I think Devon Achane as a true freshman makes an immediate impact on special teams and sees his impact in the offense grow as the season goes on much like we saw from Ainias last year, probably even a little bit more of an extent, because I think if they looked back and evaluated the job they did last year as coaches, they would probably be like, man, we should've got Ainias involved a little more during the season when, especially after that Arkansas game, when we went Auburn in the mop up time and then Arkansas back to back and then we just didn't see as much of them as we think. So I think you'll see it differently with Achane this year. 

As far as Ainias cutting into Spiller's caries, I think you'll see a mix similar to what you saw in the bowl game. I don't know what those numbers were Gabe, but if you go back and look though, I bet it'll be similar, like Ainias would get his touches. I also think what you'll see more of than you saw in the ball game is the two of them on the field at the same time.

Gabe: Which will be awesome. All right.

Billy: Jimbo's going to love - they're going to love having both of them lined up, motion Ainias out into the slot, get a match up or start them out there and then go with a little tempo, don't make substitutions, bring him back in the backfield. So you go from one back to two back with two guys that can go catch the ball, two guys that can run it, and a running quarterback and potentially two tight ends out. You can do so much. There's so much you can do that people are not going to be used to seeing.

Gabe: Spiller carried it 19 times, Mond 12, Ainias 7 but he also had two catches. He makes him into. This is an interesting question: If there was a short season and the Aggies won the national championship, would you feel cheated? Well, talk to some Spurs fans. Did they feel cheated by an asterisk? Probably not.

Billy: Well, they didn't feel cheated by a shortened season nor with A&M. The only thing that he does have a point, if there weren't fans in attendance, it would feel like, "We've waited since 1939 for this?"

There would be some of that. It wouldn't be... Look, who knows, who knows at this point? But it might be where you play the whole season, you start with no fans, you build up to 25%? And who knows? Maybe by the time championship play is played somewhere, there's a 50% capacity and a lot of Aggies could attend. Who knows, man? We're getting so far ahead on both fronts, but if there's a global pandemic in 2020 who's to say there can't be an A&M national championship?

Gabe: Billy, great interview with Andy Staples on the LiucciCast. Hypothetically speaking, if things do get cleared up, if a vaccine is available and we do have a Bowl season and it's open to fans, could this be the biggest Bowl season of all time with people traveling and wanting to go to these games and demand?

Billy: I don't think so. I think if, even if there's a vaccine by then, it's not like you're going to get... I don't see enough time for the vaccine, even if it is. It would be a miracle, modern science and medicine for them to have one and that quickly. It does seem like it's possible. But even if they did to get it and have it go around and we don't know where the numbers of the virus are going be at that time, I still don't think people are just going to be flocking and traveling to bowls everywhere across the country by January. Maybe if there's a spring season and, which is kind of a last resort, but if there's a spring season and those games are being played in March, late March or something then maybe that's different.

Gabe: [This question] simply just says, "Camp report..."

Billy: We talked about this on radio, Gabe. There's nothing to report yet. I think that was a little bit overblown in terms of what are we expecting? This is not camp. They've now gone to a level of normalcy of what the summer would be like in terms of supervised by Jerry Schmidt and the strength and conditioning staff, workouts and running and "mandatory team workouts" now where they can be supervised by strength coaches versus the weight room simply being open and those guys doing the program workouts.

Now, they're not team workouts because they're still broken up. But the only difference this week is that you've got a couple hours of actual meeting time a week now where the players can break up and meet with their coaches and they can have a position-specific or team football meetings.

Gabe: Billy, what is the biggest recruiting need you see when you analyze the current roster and where it needs to get even better?

Billy: Well, I think it was cornerback and O-line and I think they're doing just that. I think they did it last year. I think at DB they've done it the last two years and this year is year three so I think that's one year ahead. Outside of Kenyon Green... Look, Blake Trainor and Layden Robinson have not by any stretch been written off. In fact, there's some people I've talked to regularly who are pretty damn excited about their future even in the program. They just red shirted last year so they're just getting started.

But with Kenyon standing out, I still think that the last year's O-line class was a much closer what you need it to be year in and year out. This one's going to be there as well. And then I think '22 even better, I think... That one, I think you're where you're at need to be after '22. DBs, I think you're where you need to be after this year. If I'm looking at just a position that does look good but I still think needs to kind of upgrade into elite, I would love to see them go get a couple more... There's a lot to choose from at receiver, but you look at some of these teams like Bama and LSU and some of these other... Clemson, Ohio State, they have multiple guys that are rated like Demond was coming out or guys that have turned into that.

Whether you go and continue to upgrade and get elite playmakers at receiver, where you're going to have two or three of them on the field at once. I know that sounds greedy, but look, those are the teams you're trying to beat. So that's where they need to get. 

Whether that comes from guys on campus remains to be seen. If it's not, then you need to go out and I think continue to upgrade the speed and use raw play-making ability to change games at the wide receiver spot. There might be a couple of those on campus, cause there's a lot to choose from, there's a lot of talent. Don't forget, Jefferson was a two star coming out before he blossomed at LSU. They're not all five stars. Mike Evans was a low three or maybe even a two at one point. It doesn't have to be the highly recruited. 

I'm just saying, when you look at what those teams have put on the field that you're trying to be, they do need to get there at the skill spots as well. Guys like LJ Johnson, like I think Ainias has that juice, Demas, Wydermyer, Cupp when he starts playing, you've got to have guys that can change games even against high-end SEC defenses.

Gabe: Billy, what is the best habit and the worst habit that you've started over the last few months?

Billy: Worst habit is not doing anything. I need to start doing a little more just in terms of socially, it's like...ugh. Worst habit is actually, I'm sorry, the worst habit is not get my hair cut.

Gabe: Not once?

Billy: Does it look like it's been cut once?

Gabe: No, it doesn't. Wow.

Billy: That's the worst. This little hat hair is making it look a lot shorter than it is. If you see I've got like a Gumby thing going up. There you go. That's the worst. I looked like an eighties, like somebody from Erasure right there.

Gabe: That's right. Like new waver cut.

Billy: Look like I did in sixth grade, seventh grade in the mid-eighties. I would say...

Gabe: Just get you a bowl and start cutting around it.

Billy: Best habit has been cooking. I'm telling you right now become pretty damn good. The stir fry I made the other day was amazing. I might need to start posting recipes.

Gabe: Do you just Google recipes or you just make stuff up?

Billy: Well, both, but the stir fry I made the other day was phenomenal and the homemade enchiladas were... I couldn't believe how good they were. And then I'm doing Fish Fix. Chris Harrington and Melissa Gary, I'm getting fish sent to the house, crab cakes, shrimp, fish, redfish, halibut, salmon... cooking all that. That and I've mastered the art of cooking breakfast and smoothies. The cooking has been incredible and walking the dog. We've gotten to where, those are some days where we're walking like eight miles. It's been good for the weight loss. 

Bad, I would say lack of haircut. And then sometimes at night, I'll go into these deep dive rabbit holes of... when I'm not watching a show, I'll go on these deep dives into live concerts, just live performances of songs. I'll pick a song and just go, and it gets pretty crazy. Like I went the other night from the The Cranberries and "Zombie" to Dido, whatever your name, "White Flag" to some really old throwback Nirvana. I went back to Lollapalooza, I found actual footage from Houston Lollapalooza in the fall of '92 when I was there as a freshman at A&M, went over there.

Really dominated the mosh pit that day, believe it or not. 20 years later, 25 years later, I had somebody here in College Station say, "Hey, were you at Lollapalooza in '92?" I said... Well, I'll get him to come on and tell that story one day. It's pretty funny. I didn't have a goatee, I was 19 years old and some guy at a later date that saw me on TexAgs goes, "That was the guy in the mosh pit." It's absurd. That was crazy. Seeing those videos - if anybody listening was there, you would get pushed up against the stage by the mass of humanity. It was like Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Ice Cube. You get pushed up against the railing in the stage.

There were nothing but cops on the stage and security, and they would see people and grab you by the arm, pull you onto the stage and usher you off like stage right, and back down and then back into the crowd. They were hosing people down with water hoses, it was covered in mud. It was different time. It was crazy. Anyway, doing that, Creep -Radiohead, one of my favorite performances I've seen, and one of my favorite songs is on there. I've found some cool stuff, dude, I'm telling you. It's really cool. My favorite is when you find the covers that these really good bands or singers do of other people that you really like.

Good habits, bad habits, great question.

Gabe: If somehow the season was pushed to the spring, what would be the logistics/impact on the 2021 season? And which players do you think might potentially skip the spring season because of pro prospects?

Billy: That's a hard question. It's a great question and it's part of why they don't want to move that. There's two reasons why that's the last resort. Number one is because once you punt on the fall season, you're down to one and only one option. It's kind of like, okay, now this is it. Where you just took a giant step towards not playing college football in '21 and a lot of athletic departments being absolutely crushed and devastated. Look, A&M would take a very hard hit. I know it's popular right now on message boards and people saying, "Well, it's fine, I'm fed up with football and..." The long term damage is going to far outweigh, I think, what people think. And some people think they're good with that right now, and they won't be moving forward. And then there'll be the same ones complaining, "Why is A&M no longer one of the 'haves'?" because it's going to be, if they don't play, this great differentiation is going to happen.

It's going to be the "haves and haves-not" more so than it's ever been. A&M can be a "have". That's when everyone's over their feelings on both sides. The political climate we've got right now, not only in the country, but everywhere, it bleeds down into everything. But this is a time where if you don't play, A&M could easily be one of the "haves" and it's going to be a very short list. It's going to be like the Alabamas, Texas, Ohio State. There are going to be some teams that you think are powerhouses that can't touch what A&M would be able to do.

They're going to fall back into the pack a little more and people are going to wonder why, and it's going to be because they didn't play football in 2020, but A&M could easily fall back into that too. If these teams start having to take the loans and you're paying back 5,6, 7 million a year over the next 5, 10 years alone to keep your athletic department of float. Or A&M is in a position where they can sell fun. It would be if, if things worked out the right way, and if they got the support, it would be an absolute game changer. You talk about the biggest advantage, Texas A&M football and athletics has ever had. You can look at that, that potential is there. Or they could be more like Mississippi State, South Carolina, Arkansas, those type teams. This could be a turning point type of deal.

If they do play in the spring... I think you'd move the NFL Draft back. The NFL would be crazy not to because if they don't, it would encourage kids to not play their senior year and then the NFL would be making lesser evaluations than they otherwise could. That leads to bad draft picks, that leads to just careers being ruined on guys that are drafted too high and cut too soon. Jobs being lost, GMs, player personnel, scouts, whatever. 

I think the draft would absolutely move back, it would encourage more kids to play. Here's the advantage for A&M: There aren't many A&M players who would benefit at all from sitting out... In fact, there's probably not one Aggie football player that would benefit from sitting out a spring football season. It would only hurt. It would only hurt those seniors.

There's really, I think the only junior that could really play his way into being a high draft pick would be like a Bobby Brown. He'd have to make a big significant step over last season but it's doable because he is so talented. He's now going into the upper class portion of his career. But that's it, they don't have the juniors with the ability to come out early this year because most of those guys with that kind of talent were only true freshmen last year.

Gabe: Strong points, Billy. Bruce Feldman had said in the latest Audible podcast that all five first round picks for LSU, not one of them would have been better than a mid-round pick and Edwards-Helaire and Jefferson and Queen might not have gotten drafted had there not had they not played last season.

Billy: That's absolutely true. I saw somebody who was upset on our thread because, that was a recruit today at A&M who is a three star. And they said, "We've got too many three stars and LSU and Alabama, and you can't win with them." One of the guys A&M absolutely complained about Aggies offering last year out of Mississippi was an O-lineman and they ultimately lost to Alabama and nobody cared. He's not the only three. Christian Harris was a three star when A&M first started recruiting him and then everybody lost it when he went to Bama.

Your point about LSU is absolutely true. You even look at Clemson in these last few years and now they're recruiting, it feels like nothing but five stars, but some of those guys that were really good for them weren't that highly rated, including Travis Etienne, who was committed to A&M and not a lot of people spent a lot of time wringing their hands when he decommitted and open things up after a short commitment. 

I totally agree. The more five stars you recruit, it's a direct correlation to being a championship contender. The more guys you recruit that everybody in the country wanted. But you have to pay attention to some of these other guys, Gabe, and trust your evaluations this year more so than ever. But getting back to that question, yeah, it's absolutely right. I think A&M is one of those teams that would benefit even in a spring season.

Gabe: Any news on what kind of condition players are in when they report? And then how about freshmen that have surprised so far on workouts? I know this info may not yet be available.

Billy: It's not. Look, I go back to the spring with the freshmen and even some of the guys coming in. I know I've heard really good things about the way Edgerrin Cooper, Antonio Doyle and Brian George look. That's really what you're getting right now with these guys. Akinola is another one. Those are four guys that absolutely looked the part and they look really impressive. But the majority, almost half your class was here early. I've talked a lot about those guys that have stood out and were really turning heads early and there's a bunch of them.

I mentioned recently, both Haynes King and Antonio Johnson who were thinner guys coming in have added about 15 pounds of muscle since getting here already. That's a lot of good weight to add for two exceptional athletes that will easily carry that. That's a couple of interesting little tidbits from that group. But as far as how they look right now, I don't think there's going to be a team in college football that their respective strength coach is going to kick back and go, "Man, my guys all showed up from a mid-March to mid-July offseason where they weren't even allowed on campus until early June for just the weight room being open and non supervised workouts...man, this is a team that's really ready to go and start seasoning in shape."

I haven't bothered to ask because I get the feeling that there's no way in hell that you would look at your team and say, "Man, this is a team that's really in great shape right now." I'm sure every team in college football has a long, long way to go. Obviously there are individual exceptions, but as an 85- or 100-man football team, hell no, they need the time. To me, it's why I'm not sure that an October start wouldn't be perfect right now.

Gabe Bock: Billy, which assistant coaches over the years far outpaced your expectations when they were hired? How often have you questioned a hire made by a head coach?

Billy: It's hard to question at the time of the hire, unless it's somebody that they've just really fallen back on and really falling down or... I'll tell you, I sit there and kind of question things like... Well, I kind of questioned things like... I questioned the Gary Darnell hire. When you go and get...and it turned out really good. Remember when Mike Sherman hired a Kirk Doll... I question the ones that it's a guy that's been away from this level for a while and then there's all of a sudden thrust back into that level. Those are kind of the only one times I'll question it a little bit, unless it's a guy that you know, or that I know deep down, like, hey, this was their fifth option and they just ran out of time and had to go hire this guy.

That happens but it doesn't happen that often here Gabe, because there's so much money that you can offer here at A&M right now that these head coaches are generally getting their pick of the litter. I'm one that always wants to give the coach a shot. I always want to give the coach a shot and see how they do.

People were not high enough as I think should have been on Josh Henson early, and the line struggled last year and it became worse. But now you look at how he's recruiting, you look at his last, his only five commitments up front and you flipped Akinola from Georgia, you beat out Oklahoma, Tennessee and Alabama for Chris Morris. Trey Zuhn had offers from Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, Nebraska, OU, all over when you got him. Reuben Fatheree, he had offers from around the entire country at the time of his commitment. And Matthew Wycoff had a really impressive offer list. You essentially beat out Penn State, Auburn, Texas and USC for him. 

That's still a high end, high level, real recruiting being done by Josh Henson right now. I always said, give him some time, he's a quieter guy. He doesn't do a lot of craziness on social media and let him develop the relationships and there you have it. He's one of the examples.

I'll tell you my biggest surprise assistant coach that A&M has hired in a long, long time that I think has been incredible has been Elijah Robinson. I heard great things about him but remember he was in fact the second option because they hired Jerry Montgomery, the guy from the Packers that was formerly at OU, who I had actually met years ago, through Spav and Dana Holgerson. He had had a quick stint at U of H. He came down and left and went back to the pros after a month or two, whatever it was.

You ended up getting Elijah Robinson who came with rave reviews when they hired him and he has exceeded - I think there's no way he hasn't exceeded anyone's expectations. He's been incredible; he's a phenomenal recruiter. He's been a terrific position coach just ask Daylon Mack. You saw the progress he made. He is a nationally elite recruiter and he is an exceptional coach. A&M and Jimbo Fisher have fought to make sure they hold on to him already multiple times. He and Mike Elko, I think are really about to combine to put an elite defense on the field here at A&M.

And I would say Jeff Banks is one. He left for Alabama. Jimbo and those guys tried to keep Banks. But remember when Banks was hired, nobody gave a damn about a guy that was a punter at Washington State and was coming over from UTEP. But Kevin Sumlin believed in him. He did a nice job of recruiting, and he's doing a really good job of recruiting in Alabama. Now you and I and Dalton can go recruit at Alabama, but he still doesn't change the fact he's a really good recruiter. That's why Nick Saban hired a really good special teams coach.

My big three since they've joined the SEC are those two and David Beatty. David Beatty was Sumlin's first hire, I believe from Kansas. It was like, coach from Kansas, former high school coach. He ended up being the head coach at Kansas and did a really nice job of recruiting for Sumlin and his staff.

Gabe: What are the recruiting implications if all high schools in Texas canceled football? Do you see our recruiting approach changing if Texas high schools don't have a season but other states continue to have games?

Billy: No, I don't think it'll affect how you recruit Texas. It's not going to make you shy away and go more out of state because Gabe, if you look at all the offers A&M's extended in state, luckily it's such a deep, deep year that a lot of these guys you're comfortable offering and recruiting them off of their sophomore year. That's rare, but there might be 30-plus such guys in Texas this year. 

I was sitting there trying to do a list the other day. I was like, I'll put out a top 12. I go no, that's not enough. Let's make that a top 22 in '22. It's going to be very hard. When I finish 22 names, I'm going to have left out a lot of guys that may end up being in the top 15 when all said and done that will have offers from all over the country. A&M is very fortunate in that regard, if there's not a 2020 football season this year in state. They're going to recruit out of state regardless. That part's fine. But, yes, without it you'll be recruiting kids based off of how they played their sophomore season, so you better trust and be really good with your evils, which I believe this staff is.

Gabe: ...the general state of recruiting: Would you label it as going great, good or fair?

Billy: Very good. Very good. Great the last two years, very good this year. Very underrated with what they're doing, but if it goes a certain way, it has a chance to be great. If you look at this group and you say, okay, they're going to fill it out with guys that they really love that aren't rated quite as highly, and they're going to be thrilled if they get them, guys like recently, Tyreek Chappell, a guy like Taleeq Robbins, who I think is really damn good. You look at his offers and they don't match up with the ranking. But then they're also going after... or even Amari Daniels or guys like that. There are several still out there, Kimo Makaneole on the O-line.

But then you look at other guys that they're recruiting that are extremely highly rated, that if they get their fair share, LJ Johnson, Yulkeith Brown, Shemar Turner, Savion Byrd. You look at in the secondary, Kendal Daniels, the number one player in Oklahoma, national top 100 player. MJ Daniels, he probably a little underrated, but still, I think he's about at top 200 in the country. There are plenty of those guys out there as well. 

If you close out things the right way with that group... Twyone Malone, Shemar Turner, Bryce Foster, these guys are incredibly... LJ Johnson, those four or five dudes are incredibly highly ranked. They're going to continue to recruit Landon Jackson and Marcus Burris, so there are plenty of options out there for this to be great right now, I'd say very good.

Gabe: 2020 offensive line: I've seen it rated as the fifth best in the SEC and some of these arbitrary rankings. Give me your season prediction of where it sits among the SEC.

Billy: I think it's going to be, I think your baseline needs to be and I think where it's going to start out is a middle of the pack. Those seniors, I know that they - I don't know if individually, you'd say who stepped back from their sophomore season, I think a change in coaching and losing Eric McCoy, who might've been the best center in college football...Trayveon Williams was by far the best running back in the Southeastern Conference. He was Clyde Edwards-Helaire before there was Clyde Edwards-Helaire. The junior year Trayveon Williams had was incredible. Incredible, historic at A&M and I think sixth or eighth all time in SEC history, right up there with Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker, Gabe, in terms of rushing yards, just think about that. I know there's extra game or two, but it doesn't matter because that's been the case for a long time now. 

I think people really underestimate what losing those two did up front. I don't know which individuals you'd say, oh, they took a noticeable step back or maybe they just didn't really progress like you'd hope. But as seniors now, and if you have the chance to put four of them up there up front... It's not just about the experience, it's about confidence, it's about size and physicality, that long in a college weight room, it's about being a grown man, so you don't lose as much of it as these young players would with this crazy off season.

I think you start off with them saying, this could be a middle of the pack, five to eight O-line and the SEC. If they finish in that four to five range, then I think that's plenty good enough with Kellen and those skill guys and an improved defense along with that schedule. 

Remember in the last two years, Gabe, out of what, what are we at? 26 games last two years? You have faced, I don't know how many first round picks in the front seven. Okay? You can figure that out one day but countless first round picks in the front seven last two years. You faced Bama twice, you faced Clemson twice, you faced LSU twice, you faced Auburn twice, that's eight. You faced Mississippi State once when they were elite with three first-round draft picks, that's nine, and you faced Georgia once. In the last two years, they have played 10 out of 26 games. 40% of your games have come against what I would consider elite college football defenses. I think that's a wild amount of games against elite defensive fronts. 

That doesn't even count these lesser schools that have had really good players like Kentucky and Josh Allen. In fact, I might call that defense elite that year. As far as college football goes, that was a terrific defense. That was like those TCU defenses that are really good. I would say 11 out of 26 games, you face elite defenses. That's a wild, wildly high percentage. 

If you take that and combine it with this year, you might face 3 out of 13. 3 out of 13 and that's if LSU and Auburn can maintain that level after suffering heavy, heavy losses. All those things combined, I think the o-line should be significantly improved.

Gabe: Who is your projected 2021 quarterback? Do you have an update on the uniform release?

Billy: I do not have an update on the uniform release. You guys that know me know I don't try to steal their thunder. There are a lot of people that get really excited about the uniform release and leak and that stuff. It'd probably be something I can do one time over the years and then I wouldn't even be privy to it anymore. What I do is say, those wondering about the black shoes and arm bands and socks, that is actually what they're going to be wearing, that is part of it. That's not anything to throw you off or anything like that.

I'll say it's not the '98 throwbacks if anyone's wondering, but I think those that like those will like these. I'll leave it at that. I love them. 

Gabe: Alright. Projected 2021 starting quarterback.

Billy: '21. Man, I don't know, I think King or Calzada, I don't think it's Foster and I don't think... I think Stowers would have his work cut out to come in as a true freshman, but he will be, I believe he's an early enrollee, and that job will be open. It's pretty interesting to see.

I couldn’t read too far, but I did see that billy was in middle school in the mid 80s so he’s getting close to 50 now and doing this for a living and behaving such as he does. 
then he uses a fucking stir fry as an example of how great his cooking has become over the past few months. 
narcissism on the order of ctj. 

• Like 5

I love Looch updates when he talks about who Aggy will sign. If we sign these guys we’re not going to sign, we would have an elite class. So it’s these elite guys or these other lower rated guys we are more likely to sign. But you know, pretty much the same. We’re going to be awesome. 

44 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I love Looch updates when he talks about who Aggy will sign. If we sign these guys we’re not going to sign, we would have an elite class. So it’s these elite guys or these other lower rated guys we are more likely to sign. But you know, pretty much the same. We’re going to be awesome. 

Hi bailout Billy. Welcome. 

On 7/18/2020 at 4:50 AM, Enchubben said:

It’s been mentioned before, Jimbo recruits nationally because neither he or his coaches have strong Texas ties. It’s really that simple. They’re going to continue to get a handful of redass legacies and small town folk and pepper it in with dudes from NE, and leftovers from SE.

The decades long ties may not be there, but I wouldn't say Jimbo totally struck out in state. Leal, Jaylon Jones, Bobby Brown, Baylor Cupp, etc. Certainly missed out on guys we wanted, too, but it hasn't been that bad.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Lol. I was never part of texags for this very reason.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

It's going to be the "haves and haves-not" more so than it's ever been. A&M can be a "have". That's when everyone's over their feelings on both sides. The political climate we've got right now, not only in the country, but everywhere, it bleeds down into everything. But this is a time where if you don't play, A&M could easily be one of the "haves" and it's going to be a very short list. It's going to be like the Alabamas, Texas, Ohio State. There are going to be some teams that you think are powerhouses that can't touch what A&M would be able to do.

happy antonio banderas GIF

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

How does one OutLooch the Looch himself? Like this ...  Pooch = Looch? 

AggyOL.png

We're pretty pumped about Fatheree.  He's a little more of a project than some top-shelf guys, as he needs some time to get away from a basketball body and into a OT body, but a redshirt year should help.  He's got the tools to be very good, IMO.

17 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

We're pretty pumped about Fatheree.  He's a little more of a project than some top-shelf guys, as he needs some time to get away from a basketball body and into a OT body, but a redshirt year should help.  He's got the tools to be very good, IMO.

..or he's just one small growth spurt into becoming a PF

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

I get that, but even if you thought Fatheree was on par with Latham and Brockermeyer - they have 2 of them. Bama also has Ferguson at OG - who at 47 in the country is likely under-ranked. Their worst OL is James. He's their 4th guy rn, and if they take 5 or even 6, he will remain their worst OL. I expect William Parker to end up in their class, but I also expect him to climb in the rankings, whether he's ranked that way or not he's certainly a badass. This Alabama OL class is better than any of their previous classes and they've signed some INSANE OL classes. To think that the current aggy crop is on the same level is absurd. It's more than ok to be super excited about the aggy OL class but not heap the expectation on it that it will produce 4-5 first round NFL picks, which is likely what Bama will do.

That's the folly. This aggy class is FAR better than last year's class and I think you guys should be amped about that. More importantly about Wykoff and Zuhn not being cubes and the direction that they are taking. That should be more than enough to be excited about - if you go to compare it to this historic Bama class, well...    that's delusional. 

FWIW, I don't get it with Fatheree at all. I've seen him in person a couple of times and I just don't see it. He reaches, grabs, and lunges out of balance - but all that aside, he just doesn't seem like a guy that likes the sport at all. Fatheree just kind of exists. And yeah, I understand the boredom angle because he's bigger, stronger, and quicker than any DL he plays against so he doesn't have to put any effort into winning his matchup and sure that would get tedious if you don't love the sport. Which is exactly what I see. He just exists. On the other side of the coin you have Latham. Latham could beat even the competition he faces at IMG and on their schedule the same way - easily and without much effort but he delights in the humbling and subjugation.  It's the biggest reason why I think he's the best OT in the country and will push Tommy to RT. Not only does Latham have an incredible frame and ridiculous athleticism, he doesn't just stop at good enough. Subjugation. 

• Like 1

and to further illustrate what we are talking about here - it's an INSANE class... 

This begs the question – is Alabama on the verge of signing one of the best offensive line classes ever? 

Recent cycles have seen some of college football’s upper crust sign some epic position groups within one class. For instance the 2020 cycle yielded one of the best wide receiver (Ohio State) and defensive line (Clemson) classes we’ve seen. Unsurprisingly, Alabama has had some huge positional hauls under Nick Saban. The Crimson Tide’s 2017 wide receiver class could yield three first rounders in Henry Ruggs, Jerry Jeudy and DeVonta Smith, each of whom was rated as a five-star prospect by at least one network. Don’t forget Alabama’s 2013 running back class that included four signees in the top 66 prospects of the 247Sports Composite and included Derrick Henry and Alvin Kamara. 

We’ve certainly had some strong offensive line classes in the internet recruiting era (2001 to present) but this Alabama class has the potential to challenge as the best ever. 

First, let’s take a look at the best offensive line hauls prior to the 2021 cycle. Using 247Sports’ Class Calculator tool, we can isolate the offensive linemen within each class to paint a clear picture of the rankings value. 

USC’s 2008 class which included five-stars and future first-rounders Matt Kalil and Tyron Smith has the highest average rating of .9573 with five signees and a Class Calculator score of 124.56.  

Here’s the group of top classes after 2008 USC:

2019 Alabama- 5 signees, 123.14 score

2018 Georgia- 5 signees, 120.49 score

2017 Georgia- 5 signees, 117.04 score 

2013 Michigan- 6 signees, 137.36 score

2020 Georgia- 7 signees, 157.13 score 

2012 Stanford- 7 signees, 150.03 score

A few of these classes like 2017 Georgia (Andrew Thomas, Isaiah Wilson) and 2012 Stanford (Andrus Peat, Joshua Garnett) yielded multiple first-round picks. Texas A&M’s 2010 class (Luke Joeckel, Jake Matthews Cedric Ogbuehi) and Alabama’s 2009 class (DJ Fluker, Chance Warmack and James Carpenter) each produced three first-rounders, but neither of those offensive line classes ranked as high as recruits as the ones above. 

Alabama’s current four-man class accounts for a 106.45 score in the Class Calculator and the average rating of .9712 would be the best we’ve seen. That comparison isn’t an apples to apples comparison though, as most of the other top classes signed at least five offensive linemen. 

You would think adding a fifth name to Alabama’s offensive line class may bring the gaudy average rating down, but that’s not necessarily the case. 

Alabama remains in the mix for two five-star offensive tackles in Amarius Mims of Cochran (Ga.) Bleckley County and Tristan Leigh of Fairfax (Va.) Robinson. Mims, who ranks No. 13 overall in the 247Sports Composite,  is set to announce his commitment on August 15. His Crystal Ball is currently in favor of in-state Georgia but he previously named Alabama his leader in the spring and admittedly grew up watching the Crimson Tide. Leigh ranks one spot behind Mims and has a Crystal Ball that is primarily split between Clemson and LSU. 

Lexington (Ky.) Frederick Douglass Top247 guard Jager Burton remains a target along with three-star tackles William Parker of Nashville (Tenn.) Pearl-Cohn and Erick Cade of Denton (Texas) Braswell. 

Adding one of Mims, Leigh or Burton to Alabama’s class would give the Crimson Tide the best five-man offensive line class in the internet era, along with the highest average rating. The average rating with just a Mims or Leigh addition would average out to the equivalent of a top 50 overall prospect across the board. If Alabama were to sign Mims and Burton or Leigh and Burton, that would also be the highest six-man offensive line class in the internet era while also having the highest average rating across a class. 

Alabama’s 2021 offensive line class is already in rarified air, not only due to its all-time high average rating, but the fact it has a duo of five-star tackles in Tommy Brockermeyer (No. 5 overall in the 247Sports Composite) and JC Latham (No. 17 overall). Adding Mims (No. 13) or Leigh (No. 14) to the mix would make Alabama the first program to sign not just three five-star tackles, but three five-star offensive linemen in the same class. 

Here are the programs that have signed multiple five-star offensive linemen in one class (offensive tackles unless noted):

2019 Tennessee - Darnell Wright (No. 10), Wanya Morris (No. 28)

2018 Georgia - Jamaree Salyer (No. 10/guard), Cade Mays (No. 22)

2017 Stanford - Foster Sarell (No. 5), Walker Little (No. 9)

2012 Stanford - Kyle Murphy (No. 11), Andrus Peat (No. 31) ***Joshua Garnett was the highest four-star 

2008 USC - Matt Kalil (No. 20), Tyron Smith (No. 30)

2008 Ohio State - Mike Brewster (No. 15/center), Mike Adams (No. 21)

2005 Iowa - Dan Doering (No. 33), Dace Richardson (No. 36)

2004 USC - Jeff Byers (No. 9/center), Thomas Herring (No. 33) 

Projecting upward mobility in the rankings can prove tricky, but it’s worth noting that oddly enough Latham may have the most runway to continue moving up. This is due to Latham having the biggest single negative outlier ranking of the current Alabama offensive line commits, given he’s in the top 10 overall on two networks and No. 75 on a third. An upward move could vault him into the top 10 of the 247Sports Composite, giving Alabama two top-10 tackles. 

By now we know that ratings often prove to be predictive of future team success, but you’re probably wondering how this Alabama class would fit on the field. 

There doesn’t appear to be much redundancy within the group and the positional versatility of Tommy Brockermeyer and Terrence Ferguson would allow for the possibility of playing the entire class on the field at once regardless of the fifth signee. Latham provides a lengthy, functionally athletic tackle on the edge who is just scratching the surface of his potential with just one year of experience on the offensive line. Tommy Brockermeyer is a technical, nasty tackle who has the skill set to play anywhere on the offensive line, similar to former Alabama offensive linemen Jonah Williams or Barrett Jones. James Brockermeyer is likely a center in most of these scenarios and has experience snapping in addition to growing into a strong finisher over the past year. Terrence Ferguson is an ideal fit along the interior with his skill set as a punishing run blocker but has the length and athletic ability to play tackle if needed. 

There’s still a ways to go in what has become an odd, unique recruiting cycle. While Alabama’s surge to No. 2 in the class rankings is probably unsurprising to most, the Tide were outside the top 40 just a few months ago. Now Nick Saban and company find themselves as legitimate contenders for the No. 1 class behind a historic offensive line group that could get even better over the next few months.  

18 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

No, dude. Fatheree has some of the worst footwork and technique in his class. Truly awful. The only reason he plays football is because he isn't good enough at basketball, and probably doesn't want to control his weight. Mekhi Bekton is the exception, not the rule. That dude LOVES FOOTBALL and received superior development. 

Does Fatheree love football? Does he love it enough to reshape his body and commit to learning the position? Because, so far, the answer is no. Foster is not a shit program with underdeveloped prospects blowing up in college. He hasn't put in the work yet, why will he in college? 

Aggie 247 / Andrew Hattersley / Aggie War Room: A&M locked in battles for pair of 2021 targets

Spoiler

Aggie War Room: A&M locked in battles for pair of 2021 targets
ANDREW HATTERSLEY

While a dead period has prevented the Texas A&M staff being able to get out on the road and evaluate prospects in the class of 2022, the staff has been busy establishing some early relationships in that class while also focusing on closing out the 2021 cycle in strong fashion with some major targets left on the board.  

In this week’s addition of the Aggie War Room, we give you the latest on a pair of key 2021 targets, as well as where things stand with a handful of prospects in the class of 2022.

2021 NOTES

(Photo: Twitter/@KendalDaniels__)

-Beggs (OK) safety Kendal Daniels announced last week he will announce his decision on Aug. 1. With just under two weeks to go until the four-star safety announces his decision, A&M remains locked in a battle with Oklahoma and Clemson for the nation’s No. 140 overall prospect, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. As of Sunday, there is not a clear indication of which way he is leaning, but A&M certainly remains strongly in the mix.

It would not be surprising to see this recruitment continue to go back and forth between now and when he makes a decision with all three schools selling him on different roles.

(Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)
- The Aggies also remain locked in a battle for DeSoto four-star defensive end Shemar Turner. After talking with a source close to Turner’s recruitment on Sunday, A&M, Texas and Alabama are the three schools who sit in the best position right now with LSU and Georgia remaining in the picture as well. I was told defensive ends coach Terry Price has continued to do a good job in Turner’s recruitment connecting with not only Turner but members of his family.

Defensive line coach Elijah Robinson has been involved to some extent as well but with the relationship Turner has already established with Price, he has led the charge in this recruitment. With how close things are among his top schools, Turner still wants to wait to see if he will be able to take visits later this fall before making a decision.

2022 NOTES

(Photo: Nick Harris, 247Sports)
- A virtual visit with A&M earlier this month caught the eye of Houston Cy Park outside linebacker Harold Perkins. The Aggies are one of a few schools standing early on with Perkins, along with Baylor, Florida, Texas and LSU. Perkins’ recruitment continues to remain open as he waits to get out and take a few visits before making any sort of decision. In the meantime, he has also done virtual visits with LSU, Oregon, Florida and has a few more coming up.

(Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)
- A&M remains in frequent contact as well with a trio of 2022 lineman including Atascocita offensive tackle Kam Dewberry, Frisco offensive guard Cole Hutson and Deer Creek (OK) offensive tackle Jacob Sexton. Dewberry said Sunday he has been in frequent contact with A&M, Ohio State, Texas, Alabama, and Georgia. The four-star offensive tackle still has plenty of time to go in the recruiting process and is currently not close to making a decision.

A&M offensive line coach Josh Henson has also built a strong early relationship with Hutson, who added the two talk just about every week right now. Hutson maintained his recruitment is wide open with his focus primarily on trying to build relationships with all the schools that have extended an offer to him.

In addition to the schools that have extended an offer already, Hudson said he has also talked with Penn State and Missouri. Henson also remains in frequent contact with Sexton, who said he tries to call every school that has offered him at least every week or two. The four-star offensive tackle first met Henson in 2018 and the two have continued to build a good relationship since then. The Deer Creek offensive lineman is in no hurry to make a decision and said he does not plan to cut down his list until before his senior year with a decision coming sometime after that.

(Photo: Jesse Tovar)
- El Paso Burges running back Tavorus Jones saw his recruitment take off this spring with Texas becoming the first school to offer Jones on April 20. Texas A&M was among those to extend an offer in mid-May and he has begun to build a relationship with Tommie Robinson. Once the dead period is lifted, Jones said he would likely visit Texas first since the Longhorns were the first school to offer him but has a busy slate of trips ahead with other trips planned to Florida, Alabama, Baylor and potentially a few other spots as well including Aggieland.

(Photo: Gabe Brooks, 247Sports)
- Texas A&M extended an offer to Denton Ryan cornerback Austin Jordan earlier this spring and the top-100 prospect has built a good early relationship with defensive backs coach TJ Rushing. The Aggies coaching staff has been pushing for Jordan to take a visit to Aggieland once the dead period is lifted and that is something, he has interest in doing as well. In addition to the Aggies, Jordan has been in contact with Texas and Oklahoma.

(Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)
COMMENTS
-Texas A&M has extended a handful of offers in the class of 2022 and are keeping an eye on a pair of Aggie legacies as well in Austin Westlake Cade Klubnik and Flower Mound’s Nick Evers. A&M likes both prospects and will be keeping an eye on both heading into this year. Klubnik was part of a trio of quarterbacks that saw extensive playing time for Westlake in the regular season, but an injury caused him to miss the run to the state championship. He is back healthy and is a name to keep an eye on. It’s a similar situation for Evers, who has had a strong summer but is somewhat of an unknown at the moment without a lot of film for coaches to evaluate but that should change this year. The 6-foot-3, 185-pound quarterback should see his recruitment begin to pick up over the next couple of months.

55 minutes ago, golfclap said:

FWIW, I don't get it with Fatheree at all. I've seen him in person a couple of times and I just don't see it. He reaches, grabs, and lunges out of balance - but all that aside, he just doesn't seem like a guy that likes the sport at all. Fatheree just kind of exists. And yeah, I understand the boredom angle because he's bigger, stronger, and quicker than any DL he plays against so he doesn't have to put any effort into winning his matchup and sure that would get tedious if you don't love the sport. Which is exactly what I see. He just exists. 

51 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

No, dude. Fatheree has some of the worst footwork and technique in his class. Truly awful. The only reason he plays football is because he isn't good enough at basketball, and probably doesn't want to control his weight. Mekhi Bekton is the exception, not the rule. That dude LOVES FOOTBALL and received superior development. 

Does Fatheree love football? Does he love it enough to reshape his body and commit to learning the position? Because, so far, the answer is no. Foster is not a shit program with underdeveloped prospects blowing up in college. He hasn't put in the work yet, why will he in college? 

Sums up Fatheree well. He's a basketball player from a basketball family who likely won't get there in that sport. He's an OT because his size will get him a scholarship.

I just don't see him ever overcoming his feet of stone.

• Like 1