2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

30 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

anyone else feeling good about the team's future? because i sure as fuck am

In the short- to mid-term, sure, but I wouldn't feel comfortable predicting anything more than another four World Championships in the next five years.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Astros B team better than most other teams.  So use to it going the other way for so long that this is nectar of the Gods.

Hard to even call this the B team. The B team is mostly still in the minors due to salary and option games being played.  This is a C team lineup. 

It's still an A team pitching staff though. 

If White plays this series and doesn't homer then he needs to be shipped off to Alaska.  The M's suck big ol donkey dick and I think 3 putt could even homer off them,  

Or he can go jump in Puget Sound and let a whale swallow him up... except I’m not sure he’d fit

As much as i would LOVE a MadBum rental...

The Nats are in fourth (yay still barely in front of the Marlins). Max Scherzer does not have a no trade clause yet, but will after this season. He has salaries of $28m and $27m the two seasons after this.

Go get him. If you don't the Dodgers or Yankees will.

the no trade clause on madbum pretty much means nothing when it comes to him actually approving a trade. it's smart move of him and his agent more than anything. 

I would love to have scherzer, but would rather have cole at that cost for longer years and cole is 5-6 years younger. bringing scherzer here doesn't allow him and cole to stay. 

Edited by Mez2

16 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Id rather have Max replace Cole.

I personally dont like being hooked into pitchers for 5+ years at some crazy number

Unless that pitcher is Verlander because he is immortal.  I am still not sold on locking up Cole.  The strikeouts are always there, but the consistency isn't.  I do want to go in to the playoffs with Verlander, Scherzer and Cole though.  That needs to happen.

Edited by kevwun

37 minutes ago, APMP said:

As much as i would LOVE a MadBum rental...

The Nats are in fourth (yay still barely in front of the Marlins). Max Scherzer does not have a no trade clause yet, but will after this season. He has salaries of $28m and $27m the two seasons after this.

Go get him. If you don't the Dodgers or Yankees will.

Scherzer's contract is a weird one. It contains a $50M signing bonus that was split over the life of the contract, and he deferred $105M to start $15M payments from 2022-2028.

So while his base contact salaries are as you stated, you also need to factor in the signing bonus which puts his payroll salary at $35.9M and $34.5M over the next 2 seasons.

Scherzer's contract is a weird one. It contains a $50M signing bonus that was split over the life of the contract, and he deferred $105M to start $15M payments from 2022-2028.
So while his base contact salaries are as you stated, you also need to factor in the signing bonus which puts his payroll salary at $35.9M and $34.5M over the next 2 seasons.
Yeah noticed that on SportTrac. If we think JV is worth $33m the next two seasons, then yeah I have no problem paying that to Mad Max.

The Nationals could very well keep Scherzer. They aren't like the Giants with an aging, deteriorating roster; with Soto, Turner, Robles, Corbin, Strasburg, etc (Rendon is a FA after the season), they figure to remain competitive. Might make a lot of sense for them to trade Rendon this year, though, if they don't make a move in the standings soon.

But yeah, if they want to jump-start a restructuring of the roster, moving Scherzer and that salary makes sense. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

10 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

The Nationals could very well keep Scherzer. They aren't like the Giants with an aging, deteriorating roster; with Soto, Turner, Robles, Corbin, Strasburg, etc (Rendon is a FA after the season), they figure to remain competitive. Might make a lot of sense for them to trade Rendon this year, though, if they don't make a move in the standings soon.

But yeah, if they want to jump-start a restructuring of the roster, moving Scherzer and that salary makes sense. 

The Nationals problem is their bullpen is a fucking disaster, and Brian Dozier is done.

5.72 bullpen ERA with a 1.5 HR/9 and 7 blown saves.

i hope scherzer is on the block, but i don't think that's the move.

bum just seems so perfect - slot a lefty in there with jv and cole.  we won't have to give up much, and he's the type to elevate his game for the postseason - much like verlander's game changed (or reverted back to form) when he got to h.  put a deal together with fisher and a couple top 15 types.  idiots on sirius mlb radio are like, "i would ask for alvarez and then see where the conversation goes."  good luck with that.

miley is an ideal sp4, as he'll keep you in games, but you never need more than 5 innings from him, considering that rotation allows for mchugh/james/peacock to be in the pen, all as multiple inning guys.

i personally prefer cole to scherzer if we're investing that type of money in a guy for the next several years.  max will be 35 just after the asb.  i know we're a little spoiled growing up with nolan, then seeing clemens (cough, steroids), and now jv, but you can't depend on guys on the wrong side of 35 to stay that dominant.

cole is 28, and if he wants to win, i would think he'd like to stay.  i'm not saying he'll take a "hometown discount" but if we want him, we can make it happen.  give him 5 years, maybe overpay a little to avoid the 6-7 year deal (corbin got 6).  that extends our window, and keeps jv and cole together to welcome in the new blood.  sidenote - the al west is a shitshow and doesn't look to be getting any better anytime soon.  staying with the astros basically guarantees you an excellent shot at the 1-2 seed in the al.  avoiding the wild card seems appealing.

if we add an sp3, i'm not completely sure we need to add another rp (which is something i've been banging the drum for).  let smith come back, then see who's who between harris, devo, smith, rondon.  probably only 3 make the postseason roster, along with 2-3 of the "multi-inning" guys i referred to earlier (and obviously pressly and osuna).  we've come a long way since the gerg days.

i would say add a bat, but until i know what's going on with our injuries, it's tough to say where one would fit in.  forcibly remove tyler white from the building, and i like what i see.  a lot.

Monday just got a little better.

Boss: “I’m going to need you to travel to New York for this training course.”

Me: [shit] “what dates?”

Boss: “June 20-21”

Me: [checks Astros schedule] “I’m happy to be a team player and attend”

What section(s) are my fellow surly degenerates in?

• Like 3

do we think miley would stay in rotation once playoffs rolls around,  or would you move him to a bullpen role - francisco liriano was a starter for us in 2017 when we traded for him and ended up in the pen when playoffs rolled around. i can see maybe using miley as a multiple inning eater should the job call for it. assuming Joe Smith comes back strong and healthy, I can see us leaving Devo off the playoff roster. amazing to even think that could happen.

25 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

do we think miley would stay in rotation once playoffs rolls around,  or would you move him to a bullpen role - francisco liriano was a starter for us in 2017 when we traded for him and ended up in the pen when playoffs rolled around. i can see maybe using miley as a multiple inning eater should the job call for it. assuming Joe Smith comes back strong and healthy, I can see us leaving Devo off the playoff roster. amazing to even think that could happen.

Can't answer this one until August 1...

26 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Miley has been grinding / showing a lot if you ask me

same with peacock 

keep them both, add a SP3 (madbum) and then you have peacock/miley able to tandem start a playoff game, or keep one or the other for multiple innings. 

good problems to have

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

Ftr, Liriano was a starter when they traded for him, but he never started a game in Houston. It was a pretty novel move, since Sipp was struggling and they couldn’t pick up another lefty reliever they liked-they basically attempted to turn a starter into a LOOGY (20 appearances, 14.1 IP).

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

The winning team section.

MLB draft starts at 6pm tonight. Astros have pick #32. A lot of mocks have us taking JJ Goss, RHP, from Cy Ranch. Certainly fits the profile

Funky, athletic righty with arm strength and feel for spin. Likely a target of teams who weight Trackman data heavily due to pitch plane, extension and spin

An added bonus is that he's an aggy signee. Always nice to piss in their Cheerios

Edited by TonyTexas

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i hope scherzer is on the block, but i don't think that's the move.

bum just seems so perfect - slot a lefty in there with jv and cole.  we won't have to give up much, and he's the type to elevate his game for the postseason - much like verlander's game changed (or reverted back to form) when he got to h.  put a deal together with fisher and a couple top 15 types.  idiots on sirius mlb radio are like, "i would ask for alvarez and then see where the conversation goes."  good luck with that.

miley is an ideal sp4, as he'll keep you in games, but you never need more than 5 innings from him, considering that rotation allows for mchugh/james/peacock to be in the pen, all as multiple inning guys.

i personally prefer cole to scherzer if we're investing that type of money in a guy for the next several years.  max will be 35 just after the asb.  i know we're a little spoiled growing up with nolan, then seeing clemens (cough, steroids), and now jv, but you can't depend on guys on the wrong side of 35 to stay that dominant.

cole is 28, and if he wants to win, i would think he'd like to stay.  i'm not saying he'll take a "hometown discount" but if we want him, we can make it happen.  give him 5 years, maybe overpay a little to avoid the 6-7 year deal (corbin got 6).  that extends our window, and keeps jv and cole together to welcome in the new blood.  sidenote - the al west is a shitshow and doesn't look to be getting any better anytime soon.  staying with the astros basically guarantees you an excellent shot at the 1-2 seed in the al.  avoiding the wild card seems appealing.

if we add an sp3, i'm not completely sure we need to add another rp (which is something i've been banging the drum for).  let smith come back, then see who's who between harris, devo, smith, rondon.  probably only 3 make the postseason roster, along with 2-3 of the "multi-inning" guys i referred to earlier (and obviously pressly and osuna).  we've come a long way since the gerg days.

i would say add a bat, but until i know what's going on with our injuries, it's tough to say where one would fit in.  forcibly remove tyler white from the building, and i like what i see.  a lot.

Plus MadBum is an asset for the games in the NL park come Oct ...

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Straw could be replacing Kemp on this roster. Kemp’s advantage is he has much more experience at 2nd 

but damn straw brings a lot to the roster 

considering our inability to ever throw anybody out on the bases, it's really nice to see someone on our team that nobody can throw out.

he's an invaluable pinch-runner, and i don't see how kemp could be chosen over him for a playoff spot, assuming everyone is healthy.

Plus MadBum is an asset for the games in the NL park come Oct ...

This is minor but very valid...
and as the holder of the best record in baseball, Houston’s first WS game on the road (game 3) would slot well with his presumed spot in the rotation.
2.56 lifetime ERA vs the Dodgers will play as well.

Not to mention his 4 HRs in 73 ABs against them
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Sec 203....bring your left hook and right uppercut 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleacher_Creatures

8 hours ago, Scraps said:

If White plays this series and doesn't homer then he needs to be shipped off to Alaska.  The M's suck big ol donkey dick and I think 3 putt could even homer off them,  

tx 3 putt could probably steal 3 bases in one game against the Mariners.

• Like 1