2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

On 3/31/2019 at 4:44 PM, WBT said:

Going to Arlington seems like a good way to get the bats going

I didn't say it would happen tonight.

Considering we've scored 11 runs in 5 games, 2-3 isn't that bad.  On the bright side, after one turn through the rotation the starters have been excellent.

On 3/28/2019 at 7:02 PM, Cooder said:

Lol I took and posted that picture in I think early 2016. I don’t post much anymore but I’m glad I left a legacy!

If by your "legacy" you mean having taught your son the manly art of foreplay, then good on you my man.

starters have been great.

relievers have been great.

k/bb is fucking ridiculous.

fielding has been fine, besides diaz (which helped cost us a game).

power has been fine.

situational hitting (any non-homer hitting) has been dogshit.

we have a great chance to come home 4-3 or 3-4 which is fine all things considered.

3 home vs oakland and 3 home vs the (banged up) yankees with favorable pitching matchups.  i like it.

maybe we'll hit at home this year?

• Like 1

George has hit some fucking lasers so far and Jake's mechanic change has shown itself in the few games thus far. Next few weeks will be interesting with he and Kemp and seeing who stays.

Guys will settle in and we'll go in dry in short order on the league. 

I love that we can have a shitty offensive night and beat the Rangers in a pitchers' duel.
Tomorrow we should blow them out.  For variety.

Agreed with this.

And I know it’s not necessary to look at what the rest of the league is doing but the Red Sox finally had a starter go 6 innings tonight (Price) but still don’t have a quality start (we’ve had 4 out of 5, with McHugh being the outlier, going 5 IP and 2 ERs).

Tuve's gonna need to clear a mental barrier about coming back from injury, first time i can recall something like this affecting him,  so i would imagine some hesitancy on his part coming back. power-wise, seems fine, already hit one and another almost got out. i think he just needs some more ABs to get better acclimated and sense of security his knee is going to hold up. he seems fine but how he feels is something different. 

espn: realistic goals for each team in 2019

Houston Astros

hou.png&w=110&h=110How to find pleasure: Win 104 or more games.

Once you accomplish a lofty goal, it is healthy to set another lofty goal and also to take the time to be proud of yourself, to memorialize your accomplishment and to appreciate that we are not meant to live our lives on an endless, unsatisfying treadmill of desire. The Red Sox, for instance, won the World Series last year and can reasonably relax. The Cubs won a World Series not long ago and, truthfully, probably don't have that much to care deeply about this year. But I'm not sure the Astros' goal was ever to win the World Series. I think it was to go down as the smartest baseball team that ever was. The Astros don't want to have a book written about them. They want books -- plural -- textbooks, history books, self-help books, religious tracts. They want to be the first baseball team on Mars. The Astros have a sort of perfectionism about the way they run their operation that won't be satisfied by one season (anybody can get lucky in a season) or even a run of seasons. It will be satisfied only by maintaining a level of dominance so sustained that the rest of the league eventually must submit and try to copy them. The Astros want to be invincible; they want every team to try to do baseball exactly like they do -- and fail.

Basically, they want to be the Golden State Warriors. We all have goals, and I'm not here to judge theirs. But the World Series was merely a mile marker along the way, as was the Astros' exceptional regular season last year: 103 wins (after winning 102 in 2017) and a 109-win run differential. Now they need 104, which is a lot. Only four teams have done it since the turn of this century. But anything short of 104 will mark them as a team in decline, and a rocket ship in decline is ... not on its way to Mars.

How to avoid pain: Win the World Series.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

Houston Astros

Once you accomplish a lofty goal, it is healthy to set another lofty goal and also to take the time to be proud of yourself, to memorialize your accomplishment and to appreciate that we are not meant to live our lives on an endless, unsatisfying treadmill of desire. The Red Sox, for instance, won the World Series last year and can reasonably relax. The Cubs won a World Series not long ago and, truthfully, probably don't have that much to care deeply about this year. But I'm not sure the Astros' goal was ever to win the World Series. I think it was to go down as the smartest baseball team that ever was. The Astros don't want to have a book written about them. They want books -- plural -- textbooks, history books, self-help books, religious tracts. They want to be the first baseball team on Mars. The Astros have a sort of perfectionism about the way they run their operation that won't be satisfied by one season (anybody can get lucky in a season) or even a run of seasons. It will be satisfied only by maintaining a level of dominance so sustained that the rest of the league eventually must submit and try to copy them. The Astros want to be invincible; they want every team to try to do baseball exactly like they do -- and fail.

Basically, they want to be the Golden State Warriors. We all have goals, and I'm not here to judge theirs. But the World Series was merely a mile marker along the way, as was the Astros' exceptional regular season last year: 103 wins (after winning 102 in 2017) and a 109-win run differential. Now they need 104, which is a lot. Only four teams have done it since the turn of this century. But anything short of 104 will mark them as a team in decline, and a rocket ship in decline is ... not on its way to Mars.

Sounds pretty reasonable

41 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

Houston Astros

I mean I get the guy's gist, but to say a World Series is just a mile marker?  That's bullshit.

Even using their GSW analogy, look at how much those guys celebrated their NBA Championship last year.  You know why they celebrated so much?  Because winning championships in professional sports is fucking hard.  Same with guys like Jordan, Kobe, LeBron and Shaq after winning multiple titles.  No matter how good your system is, it's still hard as hell to win it all no matter the sport.

I hope our guys don't consider 2017 just a mile marker.  Baseball Gods like to smite that kind of shit - see 1990's Atlanta Braves.

• Like 1