2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

if we like urquidy over miley as potential sp4 (and i can't see how we couldn't) then i don't think miley should be on the roster for the alds.  i just can't imagine a scenario where it makes sense to bring him in.  if it's "long relief" and we're losing 8-1 then who gives a shit.  bring in peacock or james or whomever isn't in the grouping of relievers that come in when we're winning (which i assume is osuna, pressly, harris, and one more). 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

if we like urquidy over miley as potential sp4 (and i can't see how we couldn't) then i don't think miley should be on the roster for the alds.  i just can't imagine a scenario where it makes sense to bring him in.  if it's "long relief" and we're losing 8-1 then who gives a shit.  bring in peacock or james or whomever isn't in the grouping of relievers that come in when we're winning (which i assume is osuna, pressly, harris, and one more). 

If Urquidy is the #4 I think the last spot would be down to Miley vs Rondon. If that's the choice I'd rather have Miley.

also i'm assuming devo will make the postseason roster.  i had noticed after a brutal august that he had settled in some in sept (10ip, 2er, whip under 1.00).  both those er were during an outing vs oak.

in fact, his last 4 outings vs oak/tb = 4.1ip, 9er (all in aug/sept).  if it comes down to miley vs devo, then maybe call mez.

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

also i'm assuming devo will make the postseason roster.  i had noticed after a brutal august that he had settled in some in sept (10ip, 2er, whip under 1.00).  both those er were during an outing vs oak.

in fact, his last 4 outings vs oak/tb = 4.1ip, 9er (all in aug/sept).  if it comes down to miley vs devo, then maybe call mez.

in response to the rondon option - i just did a similar look at his numbers vs oak/tb.  in his last 7.1ip vs oak/tb (mostly oak) he's gone scoreless.  he hasn't given up a run vs one of them since april 7th.

44 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Can we talk ALDS roster?

I'm curious how many pitchers we carry and who gets the last couple spots. Will the #4 spot in the rotation be Miley or Urquidy, and do they both make the roster regardless? With Miley's disastrous September I'm kind of leaning Urquidy as the #4 to start the postseason with Miley as a long relief option.

As far as position players, I'm thinking Straw makes it and Toro doesn't.

Don’t forget Stubbs as the 3rd catcher since we carried three catchers the last two years. And before anyone loses their shit, yes I’m totally being sarcastic.

But I think Toro makes it unless Glass Pussy is currently pulling a John Madden and busing it back from Anaheim. We are going to have to win it without him. 

42 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

I'm ready

I think you have to have Toro as insurance for Correa. That will probably cost Tucker his spot.
Rondon is making it.
Toro doesn't need to be on the roster. He can be added if Correa gets hurt with only penalty being Correa cannot play in that current series or the following one

Do you want the A's or Rays in the ALDS? Why?

I’ve posted the following thoughts before, but A’s.
-I’m confident we’ll win either series but Rays I see going 4 or 5 games and A’s only 3 or 4…that’s especially true if Manaea starts the WC game.

-Would you rather: Glasnow, Snell, CFM, Chirinos or Fiers, Anderson, Manaea, Bailey?

-Also, I think the Rays bullpen is better (A’s are way overworked…Petit (80), Diekman (76), Hendriks (75) are the top 3 in appearances in the AL this year).

-Tropicana Field seems to be our little house of horrors over the years

-Rays are one of three AL teams that won the season series over us (Twins, White Sox are the other two. All three were 4-3)…and yes, this comes with a HUGE grain of salt as we’ve played the Rays a whopping 3 times in the final 158 games of the year.

C -> Chirinos

1B -> Gurriel

2B -> Altuve

3B -> Bregman

SS -> Correa

LF -> Brantley

CF -> Springer

RF -> Reddick

DH -> Alvarez

Bench -> Maldonado, Diaz, Straw, Marisnick

SP -> Verlander, Cole, Greinke

CL -> Osuna

SU -> Pressly, Harris, Smith, Abreu

LR -> Peacock, James

That leaves 3 spots for Tucker, Toro, Miley, Urquidy, Rondon, and Devenski.

Kaplan on the roster
Pretty much what has already been said. I don’t see the need to carry Miley if his only role is to eat innings a blowout but ILWT. (And presumably a blowout deficit... even if up 8, do you really go to Miley and let him turn it in to a 4 run game in an inning?

How do Correa’s back issues and (Wade) Miley’s continued struggles impact Houston’s ALDS roster, if at all? Do they keep (Abraham) Toro over (Myles) Straw or (Kyle) Tucker so that they have another infielder? (Bryan) Abreu or (Héctor) Rondón over Miley? What is the likelihood they use an opener in Game 4 and try to bring Miley or (Jose) Urquidy in for the middle innings? — Brian H.

Lots to unpack here. At least for now, I’m going to stick with my last ALDS roster projection, which we published on the day the Astros clinched the AL West.

Starting pitchers (4)
RHP Justin Verlander
RHP Gerrit Cole
RHP Zack Greinke
RHP Jose Urquidy

Relief pitchers (7)
RHP Roberto Osuna
RHP Ryan Pressly
RHP Will Harris
RHP Joe Smith
RHP Brad Peacock
RHP Josh James
LHP Wade Miley

Lineup
CF George Springer
2B José Altuve
LF Michael Brantley (L)
3B Alex Bregman
DH Yordan Alvarez (L)
1B Yuli Gurriel
SS Carlos Correa
C Robinson Chirinos
RF Josh Reddick (L)

Bench
3B/1B Aledmys Díaz
C Martín Maldonado
LF/RF Kyle Tucker (L)
CF Jake Marisnick
OF/SS Myles Straw

I probably would’ve left Miley off in favor of Rondón had general manager Jeff Luhnow not made it sound like the Astros will carry Urquidy and Miley to ensure they are protected on long-relief options during his Sunday pregame hit on the team’s radio broadcast.

Miley pitched so poorly down the stretch that he can’t be trusted to start a playoff game, and outside of eating innings in a blowout, I’m not sure he will have much of an actual role in the bullpen for a short series against the A’s or the Rays. The A’s Matt Olson is the only dangerous left-handed hitter between the two teams. And if Olson came up in a big situation late in a game, the Astros would surely turn to Pressly or Harris.

I still have Toro off the roster, though the Astros have to seriously consider him as infielder insurance, be it at the expense of Straw, Tucker or even Marisnick. Whether Toro is included will tell us a lot about how the Astros really feel about Correa’s status and their confidence in him contributing this October.

As for a potential Game 4 starter, I wrote more in depth about this situation last week, but the Astros’ three options are to (1) start Urquidy, (2) bring back Verlander on three days’ rest or (3) go with a bullpen game. Starting Urquidy is the most likely scenario. But if they were to go with a bullpen game, it wouldn’t necessarily have to be an opener to a long reliever. They could piece things together with their best relievers throwing an inning or two at a time and keep Verlander available on short rest to fill in the rest like in Game 4 of the 2017 ALDS in Boston.

If CC cant man up for the postseason, then its time to say bye.

...after 2021.

You rake him over the coals in arbitration. Pay him ~$10M next year and hope this back nonsense is a thing of the past by February.

That is unless someone comes knocking with a trade offer you can’t turn down.

Completely off the wall but would the Mets be willing to work a deal involving Thor?

Honestly, what will the Astros arbitration offer be for Correa, postseason results excluded?

From the same Kaplan Q&A referenced above...

He suspects $8-9M. I have no idea if that is realistic or not. Correa got $5M this year.

I wish I could not show up for work 54% of the time and double my salary next year

What do you make of Carlos Correa and his injury history? When he is NOT injured he has shown flashes of brilliance, especially defensively. What do the Astros do in the future with him? — Richard M.

It’s obviously a concerning trend for a former Rookie of the Year Award winner and All-Star Game starting shortstop who’s viewed as a generational talent. It’s reached the point where even when he is playing regularly and producing at an elite level, you just never know when the next thing is going to crop up with him. Even if he had played these final few regular-season games in Anaheim, I think there would have been skepticism about his ability to stay healthy throughout the playoffs.

If Correa gets through Wednesday’s and Thursday’s workouts at Minute Maid Park without issue, he should start at shortstop and bat seventh in Game 1 of the ALDS on Friday. If not, they have to at least consider omitting him from the roster completely. But for the Astros, the potential value Correa could add is worth exhausting every chance he’s available for any part of the five-game series.

If he’s active and his back issue flares up again during the series, they could probably afford to stash him on their bench, which is likely to have five players on it in the ALDS as opposed to four in the best-of-seven ALCS or World Series. Players who are injured during a postseason series can be replaced on the roster, but they are then also ruled out of participating in the following series. The Astros obviously don’t want that outcome.

The future beyond October is a different conversation. Will Correa’s persistent injury issues lead the Astros to move on in the offseason? I doubt it, though I don’t think anyone would be surprised if they at least explored the market. But do the Astros want to risk being the team that traded Correa and saw him put it all together for two full seasons elsewhere? I think it would be difficult for them to get back full value in such a blockbuster.

It’s natural to fixate on the future — the playoffs begin this week, and many of the questions submitted for this mailbag pertain to the offseason and beyond — but the reality is Correa isn’t making a huge dent in the team’s payroll. By missing so much time these last two seasons, he has cost himself a lot of money through the arbitration process. The Astros have relievers who make more than Correa right now. He made $5 million this season and could come in around $8 or $9 million next year.

All that is to say I’m not sure the Astros really have to do anything with Correa other than try to extract as much as they can from him in ’20 and ’21. Their best chance to win in the next two seasons will come with him as their shortstop. If he continues on this trajectory of playing 110 games or fewer on an annual basis, it would make a post-2021 free-agency decision pretty obvious for their front office. But Correa still has two seasons left before he hits the open market. That’s a long time for his career arc to change again.

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Cole wins the AL Pitcher of the Month for the 3rd time this season.

Also, Correa deservedly catches a lot of grief but we can all concede that he is a good community guy.

I know some people that have dealt with CC when he visits local hospitals. They all say that he is over the top friendly and will give everyone a picture or autograph even when he could easily slip away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I know some people that have dealt with CC when he visits local hospitals. They all say that he is over the top friendly and will give everyone a picture or autograph even when he could easily slip away.

He has a big drive every year to donate mattresses to needy families