2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Give Atlanta the early slot, Astros the mid afternoon, Yankees early evening and LA the late game.
But I can see Fox wanting to alternate start times to eliminate the chance that the Astros game bleeds into the start of the Yankee game

We’ll be on MLBN at 3. I’d bet a lot of money on that

Twins at Yankees will be ~6:30 Central on FS1

The NLDS games will be ~1pm and 8:30 Central on TBS

That’s my guess

36 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

That’s amazing

I’d be livid if I was was an A’s fan (if they win Wed)

As a west-coaster, I’m good with it.   Friday afternoon is usually light anyway.   Easy to take a half day if I really want to, but I’ll keep my powder dry for bigger games as needed.  I can listen or follow gamecast live and then watch the DVR recording later.  

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

EFu8dn0XYAAIQpS.jpg:large

The Astro ALDS projected roster has a 75 WAR and the next best team is at 52?  I will give props to LAD for drafting much of their WAR even more than the Astros.

Sure looks like Hinch really boffed the regular season to have 20+ WAR better than the next comer but to have only finsihed with a few games better overall.

44 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

She wasn’t very good at her job. She needed to be in a bikini or lingerie to stick around 

No way she left the job to "support her partner".  That's a once in a lifetime gig for a communications or journalism grad. She wasn't renewed.

• Like 1

“What about Greinke?” Crane asked. Luhnow and his staff were surprised. They loved Zack Greinke, the 35-year-old Diamondbacks ace and former Cy Young winner who was at the time 10–4 with a 2.90 ERA. Everyone loved Zack Greinke. According to the Astros’ internal metrics, there was only one other realistically available player they might acquire who would boost the club’s chances of winning its second World Series in three years as much as Greinke. But Greinke also had two-and-a-half years left on the six-year, $206.5 million deal he’d signed with Arizona, and was one of the most expensive players in the game. Over the past half-dozen years, Crane had already sextupled his payroll, lifting it from the league’s lowest ($26.1 million in 2013) into the top 10 ($158 million on Opening Day). Could they afford Zack Greinke?

Crane smiled. “If we think the package of players we’d be giving up is reasonable,” he said, “we can get the money right.”

I love literally love Jim Crane.  Best owner in Houston history, and I will find a way to have his babies if he wants me to even though it will require major surgery.

• Like 1

I love how the local media is praising Mattress Mac for his $3.5 million dollar bet on the Astros. Such a great guy for betting so much on the home team. No mention about what he’s actually doing. 

It’s a genius promotion. His cost on those mattress sales is, at most, 50% of the sales price so that’s how much he needs to hedge. Let’s say he sold $20 million in mattresses. He bets $5 million on the Astros at 2 to 1. So if the Astros win, he covers his cost and doesn’t lose any money. But if they lose, he still makes $5 million. Either way he gets a ton of free publicity and goodwill.

• Like 2

It’s a genius promotion. His cost on those mattress sales is, at most, 50% of the sales price so that’s how much he needs to hedge. Let’s say he sold $20 million in mattresses. He bets $5 million on the Astros at 2 to 1. So if the Astros win, he covers his cost and doesn’t lose any money. But if they lose, he still makes $5 million. Either way he gets a ton of free publicity and goodwill.

I can make a 50% profit margin selling mattresses?

I’m in the wrong line of business

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

doesn't he have some sort of "prize" insurance or some such?  i wouldn't think he'd have to turn to vegas to hedge it out, but it definitely presents an opportunity.  the tax implication on either is probably fairly messy.

also i was in vegas about 3 weeks ago and the astros were 5/4 to win the world series.  that's stupid.