2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

yikes.
guessing the irs agent just meets him at the window?
also wtf is the scarlet pearl?
Some book in Mississippi sponsored by draft Kings.

ESPN article says he's got a lot of other vets placed as well, none this big

https://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/27745071/mattress-mack-places-35-million-bet-astros-win-world-series

Why the hell aren't they announcing the game times for Mon and Tues?  I've got clients asking for afternoon appointments and I don't know if I'm available or not.

Don’t know where the game will be played. @Oakland or @TB. Big time zone difference. Regardless, Monday will either be early or late evening as there are only 2 games

42 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

I think rosters are due Thursday, not sure what time pacificlly

When I looked it up I saw something that said they have until the morning of game day to set it. I assume they can set it anytime prior to the deadline, but reading that it made me curious as to what that actual rule regarding the deadline is for teams.

2 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Does anyone give a flying rats ass what that douche thinks? Tim Purpura bitch now go jack your Baylor ass off to sleep.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Don’t know where the game will be played. @Oakland or @TB. Big time zone difference. Regardless, Monday will either be early or late evening as there are only 2 games

True.

40 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

And there will be no need for a Tuesday game.

True.

Fuck you Drayton. Great timing on that headline you dumbass
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Monday game is scheduled for 8 am.  They don't want the Astros-WC game to interfere with the 8 hours of scheduled Yankees pregame programming.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pasken said:

Drayton McLane charges Jim Crane, Astros tanked in 2012-13 to harm network

What about the tanking that went on during McLane's watch?

2011 was the first time in team history to lose 100 games and it still pisses me off.

What are you doing today to be a champion, Drayton you big fraudulent piece of shit?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pasken said:

lol. Crane, Lunhow and company identified the most efficient and effective way to un-fuck the franchise that Drayton ran into the ground by failing to sign draft picks and allowing the farm system to rot, throwing huge dollars at mediocre players, etc. 

Crane/Lunhow told everyone what they were going to do. They weren't trying to hide any of it. They did it, and they did it pretty fucking well. 

Go fuck yourself, Drayton. 

• Like 1

Drayton McLane did two things right as owner. He kept Biggio & Bagwell as career Astros and he got the deal for the new stadium done and kept the team in Houston rather than getting relocated to Northern Virginia. Pretty much everything thing else was either meh or a complete cluster fuck.

• Like 2

Just now, UTPhil2006 said:

So Morton goes tonight.  Who is gonna start game 1 for them if they win?  At what game would Morton come back?

Snell as a guess and Morton would be back in Game 3 because there is an off day before the NLDS starts and a travel day between Games 2 & 3

Snell sucks
Glasnow

It’ll be:
Game 1: Glasnow/Snell
Game 2: Snell/Glasnow
Game 3: Morton
Game 4: Chirinos
Game 5: all hands on deck

A’s:
Game 1: Fiers
Game 2: Anderson
Game 3: Manaea
Game 4: bailey/all hands on deck
Game 5: Fiers/all hands on deck

You tell me what staff you’d rather face.

I’m pulling hard for the A’s tonight

19 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Snell sucks
Glasnow

It’ll be:
Game 1: Glasnow/Snell
Game 2: Snell/Glasnow
Game 3: Morton
Game 4: Chirinos
Game 5: all hands on deck

A’s:
Game 1: Fiers
Game 2: Anderson
Game 3: Manaea
Game 4: bailey/all hands on deck
Game 5: Fiers/all hands on deck

You tell me what staff you’d rather face.

I’m pulling hard for the A’s tonight

I mean, I get that. If it was only about pitching staffs, I like the chances against the A’s rotation. But the A’s lineup is stout.  And they are very familiar with Astro pitching.  

I’m not rooting either way.  

• Like 1

Nothing encouraging.

Astros owner Jim Crane said on Monday the team "may make a run" at re-signing Gerrit Cole, but intimated he would rather stay below baseball's competitive balance tax.

In his final year before free agency, Cole won the American League ERA title and set a franchise-record with 330 strikeouts. He is guaranteed a top-two finish in the AL Cy Young voting and, at 29 years old, will command a massive salary on the open market.

According to Spotrac, the Astros already have $148,358,333 committed to their 2020 payroll. Justin Verlander's offseason extension — at $33 million per season — kicks in, as does the one Jose Altuve signed in the 2018 offseason. Altuve will make $29 million. Zack Greinke, the team's ballyhooed deadline acquisition, will make nearly $25 million, too. In all, six Astros players are set to make more than $12 million during the 2020 season.

Asked if the team has financial flexibility to make a "legitimate run" at Cole, Crane said "we don't know yet."

"We'll see where we end up after the year. We may make a run at it. We're not sure yet," Crane said. "We're going to wait and see what else unfolds and who else is going to stay on the team.

"There's a lot of moves that Jeff (Luhnow) will probably make in the offseason. We're going to keep a very close eye on it, communicate and see where that ends up. He's had a great year. He's young and he's likely going to command a big salary."

Sounds like they would have to get rid of a couple of contracts before they do it, which makes sense.  Reddick, Greinke and someone else or would those 2 be enough? Greinke has been fine, but I don't know if he's worth 50 million over the next 2 seasons.

Edited by kevwun

Let him go to the NL or the Angels

Hope he stays away from the Yankees or other AL contenders

Angels (and intradivision) might mean he costs us homefield advantage a year or two (by handing us a few losses) but I feel that’s about it...the Angels are still a few years away from being a legit competitor for the West, IMO, even with him and/or Maddon.

As long as he doesn't end up a Yankee, I can live with letting him go.  It will suck, but that is long commitment for a starter and there aren't many longterm deals for one that have worked out.  It is very rare for elite power pitchers to hold on to their velocity well in to their 30's.  I was curious about Greinke and it looks like is started to drop significantly when he was 31 or 32.  Granted Cole is like Verlander in that he can lose 3 or 4 mph and still be in mid 90's.  If he can adapt when it happens is the thing you can't know.

Edited by kevwun

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Has a pitcher ever put themselves in a better position than Cole? Is there any reason to not expect someone to pay him the largest pitching contract in history? I assume it will be 6-7 years >200m.

In the pre-internet days Kevin Brown's tea-bagging of us in the playoffs changed him from very good pitcher to unbelievable badass worth a fortune.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

lol. Crane, Lunhow and company identified the most efficient and effective way to un-fuck the franchise that Drayton ran into the ground by failing to sign draft picks and allowing the farm system to rot, throwing huge dollars at mediocre players, etc. 

Crane/Lunhow told everyone what they were going to do. They weren't trying to hide any of it. They did it, and they did it pretty fucking well. 

Go fuck yourself, Drayton. 

They did it so well, that they caused a major market correction in baseball. Teams are no longer willing to pay mediocre players large sums of money to lose.

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

I really don't want to be locked into Cole for 7 years 

Agree. The last 2-3 years of that deal (when he's in his mid-30s) have a chance to be really bad. 

I don't think the Astros will really be players in his free agency. I think that's one of the reasons they acquired Greinke. They seem much more comfortable with shorter deals for pitchers. 

And Springer is still unsigned beyond next season...

They can try to move Reddick, but who is taking him at $13 million for a year when most clubs could get comparable production for a lot less?