2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

12 minutes ago, WBT said:

107-55.  What a great season.  Very likely the best Astros season I will ever see.

Yep. Just discussing that on my Stros group text. This was the best regular season in Astros history by leaps and bounds. And it goes so far beyond W/L record.

Only team ever to lead league in strikeouts issued vs. strikeouts taken. 2nd in MLB in BB issued.

Lead all of majors in OPS, AVG and BB. Top 3 in almost every other category (HR, Runs, RBI, 2B)+

Obliterated prior HR mark by 40.

2 No-Hitters.

Legit chance at sweeping awards season. Guaranteed that an Astro will win Cy Young and ROTY, and a strong contender for MVP.

• Like 1

I didn't say it was b/c of him. It was more a reference to him [presumably thinking "boy did I bet on the right horse!"

Ha
This got me to thinking...
Imagine being Altuve.
At the end of his rookie year, 2011: “man, that was rough...but trust the process.”
At the end of 2012: “man that was rough. What’s this “process” I’m supposed to be trusting in again?”
At the end of 2013: “holy hell. WTF didnt I listen and stay at home the 2nd day of that tryout.”
  • Like 1

CFM starting for the Rays Wed

A’s will announce Tues afternoon. Will be Fiers or Manaea.

If CFM vs Fiers, that’s fun.

CFM starting Wed virtually guarantees we’ll only see him in Game 3 in the LDS if he wins

Given a perfect world, I’d like to see Manaea start and the A’s win.

Fiers would start game 1 and 4/5 if it came to that. I like our chances

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingkoopa6 said:

B0-CBADED-7718-4-DB7-BE99-B1-EBC0-A844-C
C971-F7-BF-678-D-47-F7-9477-6-D8-A6-DB48
A4064-AB7-1-CB8-43-C2-974-A-1-D4-CC86-C6

I enjoy a middle-aged lady with a rotund buttocks in the rotunda.  Perfect irony /jpederman.  

Anyway, congrats to the Astros.  Happy for all the Houston fans i know here in Texas.  Cubs fan by upbringing, but as a purist fan of the game...enjoyed y'all kicking ass this year and the way in which you did it.  It's as close to well-rounded baseball as I've seen in a long time.  Go take the flag!  

Oakland has to be thinking WTF. Win 194 games over last 2 seasons but are 16 back of the Astros. Timing is everything.

While I hear ya, this is 2019.
Of the total 100 win seasons in the past 128 history of MLB, 9% have happened in the past 3 years.

There have been 10 100 win seasons from 2017-2019.
There were a total of 16 from 2000-2016.

4 hours ago, WBT said:

107-55.  What a great season.  Very likely the best Astros season I will ever see.

Next year is probably better should they resign Cole. With hopefully healthy seasons from Altuve and Springer, as well as 150 games from Tucker and Alvarez. You also have the return of McCullers.

But this team still have 11 more wins to get before next year. Though I just can't see how this team isn't better on paper next year with the additions to the everyday lineup and health of 3 of the top 5 hitters.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Oakland has to be thinking WTF. Win 194 games over last 2 seasons but are 16 back of the Astros. Timing is everything.

Oakland is probably thinking they have a shot at us in the ALDS because they beat us 6 of the last 8. Nevermind that Greinke beat them twice and they didn't have to face Cole. They did win two Verlander starts though the bullpen blew three leads in one of those games and the other was Homer Bailey pitching the game of his season.

Edited by HtownHorn

Congrats to the Astros on the league’s best record.  The Dodgers did everything they could to chase them down, sweeping the Giants and Bochy, and winning at near a .700 clip over the last month, but damn if the Astros didn’t just keep winning and winning.

Our L10 ended the season where it seemed like it was every time I looked throughout the season: 8-2.

Oh look, the Astros won at a .760 clip over the month of September.

Best of the luck the next few weeks to the Dodgers.

I’m ready to party like it’s 2017 come the fourth week of October.

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

I am glad they won 107 with all of the injuries and whatnot. There are so many compelling stories on the individual players on this team.  They make it feel like they are part of your family. 

All that being said, ELEVEN is all that fucking matters. 

Fucking this.  

Stay healthy.  Win the next game.

I'm telling y'all right now: Minny is going to give the Yankees some headaches.  I don't see any way it's a sweep with the Yankees staff against a team with over 300 homers and over 300 doubles.  And Berrios has the stuff to beat them twice if he's on.

I don't think the Yankees could be called more than a 60/40 favorite.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I'm telling y'all right now: Minny is going to give the Yankees some headaches.  I don't see any way it's a sweep with the Yankees staff against a team with over 300 homers and over 300 doubles.  And Berrios has the stuff to beat them twice if he's on.

I don't think the Yankees could be called more than a 60/40 favorite.

Reminder:We sucked a whole lot of Twins dick when we played them this year.

12 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Ha
This got me to thinking...
Imagine being Altuve.
At the end of his rookie year, 2011: “man, that was rough...but trust the process.”
At the end of 2012: “man that was rough. What’s this “process” I’m supposed to be trusting in again?”
At the end of 2013: “holy hell. WTF didnt I listen and stay at home the 2nd day of that tryout.”

I don’t even know if there was a process in 2011.  The only process was the struggle for crane to buy the Astros while McLane refused to put money into them.  

11 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Oakland is probably thinking they have a shot at us in the ALDS because they beat us 6 of the last 8. Nevermind that Greinke beat them twice and they didn't have to face Cole. They did win two Verlander starts though the bullpen blew three leads in one of those games and the other was Homer Bailey pitching the game of his season.

This. Nervous about possibly facing Oakland. They're such a damn disciplined team at the plate agains the Astros during that streak.

@thetruth

CFM starting for the Rays Wed
A’s will announce Tues afternoon. Will be Fiers or Manaea.

If CFM vs Fiers, that’s fun.

CFM starting Wed virtually guarantees we’ll only see him in Game 3 in the LDS if he wins

Given a perfect world, I’d like to see Manaea start and the A’s win.
Fiers would start game 1 and 4/5 if it came to that. I like our chances

• Like 1

Can we talk ALDS roster?

I'm curious how many pitchers we carry and who gets the last couple spots. Will the #4 spot in the rotation be Miley or Urquidy, and do they both make the roster regardless? With Miley's disastrous September I'm kind of leaning Urquidy as the #4 to start the postseason with Miley as a long relief option.

As far as position players, I'm thinking Straw makes it and Toro doesn't.