SC girl is murdered after getting in wrong car

ajax

41 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Great, so Ben Abbott got you $2MM in a settlement and you think you’re rich. Bless your heart. 

Ben Abott?

Try not to take it so hard when your lottery ticket doesn’t win. Your life will get better someday, just not as good as others.

Disabled child locks?   I know, not an easy solution.
Not saying she wasn’t an idiot but she didn’t deserve to die.  If you’ve ever driven after a few drinks, you’ve done worse.  
Nobody said she deserved to die but don't let that stop you from getting on your high horse. I just don't see the point in making Uber/Lyft change anything because of this. Would a regulation requiring Uber/Lyft drivers to disable child locks have stopped this person who was not affiliated with either company from doing what he did?
  • Like 1

I always think about that first 48 episode in Memphis where the lady had a handgun in her purse (can’t remember if she had a chl) and pulled it on some guy trying to attack her walking home. The guy just took it from her and killed her with it. Having a gun is not enough, you better know how & be able to use it. That’s why the taser/pepper spray option is better for public self-defense for most people imo.

39 minutes ago, Continental Op said:
4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:
Disabled child locks?   I know, not an easy solution.
Not saying she wasn’t an idiot but she didn’t deserve to die.  If you’ve ever driven after a few drinks, you’ve done worse.  

Nobody said she deserved to die but don't let that stop you from getting on your high horse. I just don't see the point in making Uber/Lyft change anything because of this. Would a regulation requiring Uber/Lyft drivers to disable child locks have stopped this person who was not affiliated with either company from doing what he did?

Lol. Ok. Calling her a dumbass is cool.  I’m a real bleeding heart around here too.  Always up on my high horse.  Yep, that’s me.  

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Calling a dead girl a dipshit for doing something dumb when drunk is terrible. Smart people do stupid shit all the time. Particularly women, as it pertains to being aware of their surroundings. Add alcohol and women together, I can see this happening to my wife and daughters.  Anyone critical of this dead gal can go fuck themselves. 

‘Get off your high horse.’

-Continental OP

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Please let me know when I've advocated in this thread anything other than situational awareness?

I studied Criminology and worked in that general field as do/have family and friends.

As I noted in my original post if you go back, I know I'm not swaying anyone.

The irony is you see paranoia in my post, which I also noted would be the case in my original post.

I likely know far more about crime deviance and stats than you. 

If the dead could talk, the girl that is the subject of this very thread might think my advice is valuable.

You don't, won't and never will. 

I used to care about trying to help others outside my family.

I don't anymore.

You are the one who mentioned that you are called paranoid by your closer associates.   You are talking about situational awareness as if you stumbled on to something few people are aware.   It is not ironic that I think you are paranoid.  Just as if I claimed that I am Jesus Incarnate and there will be non-believers would not be ironic or particularly insightful when people didn't believe me. 

You probably know more about crime than I do.  I just referenced the FBI's stats, which report a decrease in crime.   Your advice is what exactly?  Be aware?  Be prepared?  Carry a gun?  Carry 2 guns?  Hire a personal security detail?  Don't make mistakes?   What is the actual advice?      

Edited by Nivek

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Nothing. 

Exactly. Companies can't prevent every careless event that can arise. This was careless of the woman to get into a vehicle without verifying it was indeed her actual ride. Uber/Lyft provide you with all the information you need after you order your ride.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. Companies can't prevent every careless event that can arise. This was careless of the woman to get into a vehicle without verifying it was indeed her actual ride. Uber/Lyft provide you with all the information you need after you order your ride.

All I know is that the olds who have never and will never use Uber/Lyft are now 110% convinced that anyone who uses said ride share services is just begging to get murdered. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Lulz, okay. 

I was kidding, but if you’re going to proceed, then  in all seriousness, you seem to be a total dipshit and associate with total dipshits. 

Don’t take it personal when your mother wished the hanger would’ve worked.

Lulz, okay.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

What is the magical age that makes someone "the olds" ?

I was thinking of my elderly parents, who are convinced that anyone who uses Uber or Lyft is begging to get murdered.

Basically once your total observation of the world switches from a majority of real interactions to a majority of tv news coverage. In my mind, that makes you a card carrying member of the olds.

I don't think it's a clear-cut answer; I put the responsibility about 2/3 of the way over towards the rideshare companies on this spectrum.  They've offered this "new" (relatively speaking) means of getting around, and they profit from this means.  But this business model also opens up new risks (like this) that wouldn't necessarily exist if not for this service.  They need to work to be sure that they have a hand in compensating for this type of thing. I mean, one example to a degree is that they fairly overtly offer themselves up as a viable alternative to DWI, so yeah, they're going to be marketing to, and expect business from, a lot of stupid, drunk shits who can't make rational decisions.  Since that is part of the market they want, they need to have more safeguards to ensure that people who have the momentary capacity of a 5 year old are provided for.  What those measures should be are not easy to pinpoint, but perhaps one thing might be a kind of software sensor that's built into the system so that when the "real" Uber driver gets there, your phone tells you and says that's legit.  Or some other "software handshake" such that when the real driver gets there, your phone confirms with his phone, etc.  Of course everything can be hacked/sabotaged, but 1) some of that would have to be able to do so fast, on the fly, and/or 2) require a fairly decent level of technical know-how to hack (my guess is that this dude wouldn't exactly be in that camp).

Clearly the passenger is responsible to ensure their own safety to a point, but if you're offering this service, if you just go with "don't be a dumbass" and "oops, sorry yout got kilt but hey, it's your fault," they'll find themselves losing business to someone who can do that eventually.

Facebook, these rideshares, etc. are not ultimately responsible for deaths like this - they can't control the existence of loony/evil fucks.  But they certainly can do more than shrug their shoulders and say, gee hope it works out.  I do actually believe that they can be negligent to a degree, like the bartender that doesn't stop serving drinks to a sot.  In this case, I think they could do more since their business revolves around offering ride services that open people up to risks they otherwise wouldn't have.

Not to go all male privilege on your collective asses but this is example #3,247,898 of shit most of y'all don't have to worry about that some of us do.  I mean, God forbid we females should be able to go out drinking and having a good time without having to be hypervigilant about being raped and murdered just because we were distracted or drunk and mistook the wrong car for our ride.  I mean, I have seen some of you fuckers BRAG about doing shit a lot more infantile and idiotic than that, and give high fives all around. "Oh, hahaha, we were so fucking smashed, hahahaha!  Oh, too bad I wasn't there, sounds like it would have been a riot!"  Yeah, 99.99% of the time it turns out fine for everyone.  Until it doesn't.  Is it so much of a goddam burden to talk about things that Uber and Lyft might be able to do to mitigate the possibility of something like this happening again? Or to create additional visibility around the issue so that people know that, you know, it's an issue?  Or is it just so much easier to just call the girl a dumbass and the father a whiny bitch and move on?  Jesus H. in a sidecar.   

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, M12BH said:

Not to go all male privilege on your collective asses but this is example #3,247,898 of shit most of y'all don't have to worry about that some of us do.  I mean, God forbid we females should be able to go out drinking and having a good time without having to be hypervigilant about being raped and murdered just because we were distracted or drunk and mistook the wrong car for our ride.  I mean, I have seen some of you fuckers BRAG about doing shit a lot more infantile and idiotic than that, and give high fives all around. "Oh, hahaha, we were so fucking smashed, hahahaha!  Oh, too bad I wasn't there, sounds like it would have been a riot!"  Yeah, 99.99% of the time it turns out fine for everyone.  Until it doesn't.  Is it so much of a goddam burden to talk about things that Uber and Lyft might be able to do to mitigate the possibility of something like this happening again? Or to create additional visibility around the issue so that people know that, you know, it's an issue?  Or is it just so much easier to just call the girl a dumbass and the father a whiny bitch and move on?  Jesus H. in a sidecar.   

Well.......... it's good to be a guy.....

Sorry, but it's just part and parcel of being a girl. You have to be more aware. I have a daughter and ask her constantly I she's paying attention to her surroundings at all times, to not be alone when she's out at night if at all possible, pay attention to her surroundings and the people when she's out shopping during the day. 

Stupidity and awareness isn't confined to one sex, unfortunately it has larger consequences for one of the sexes .

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, M12BH said:

1s7t3p.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, M12BH said:

Maybe we should teach men not to kidnap and murder.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ajax said:

Maybe we should teach men not to kidnap and murder.

I'm not sure I ever got lessons in that. I think you just kinda know that's wrong as you grow up with all the other rules and regs that get laid down (for most folks at least).  The person that kidnaps and murders has issues that go beyond just right and wrong IMO.

29 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I don't think it's a clear-cut answer; I put the responsibility about 2/3 of the way over towards the rideshare companies on this spectrum.  They've offered this "new" (relatively speaking) means of getting around, and they profit from this means.  But this business model also opens up new risks (like this) that wouldn't necessarily exist if not for this service.  They need to work to be sure that they have a hand in compensating for this type of thing. I mean, one example to a degree is that they fairly overtly offer themselves up as a viable alternative to DWI, so yeah, they're going to be marketing to, and expect business from, a lot of stupid, drunk shits who can't make rational decisions.  Since that is part of the market they want, they need to have more safeguards to ensure that people who have the momentary capacity of a 5 year old are provided for.  What those measures should be are not easy to pinpoint, but perhaps one thing might be a kind of software sensor that's built into the system so that when the "real" Uber driver gets there, your phone tells you and says that's legit.  Or some other "software handshake" such that when the real driver gets there, your phone confirms with his phone, etc.  Of course everything can be hacked/sabotaged, but 1) some of that would have to be able to do so fast, on the fly, and/or 2) require a fairly decent level of technical know-how to hack (my guess is that this dude wouldn't exactly be in that camp).

Clearly the passenger is responsible to ensure their own safety to a point, but if you're offering this service, if you just go with "don't be a dumbass" and "oops, sorry yout got kilt but hey, it's your fault," they'll find themselves losing business to someone who can do that eventually.

Facebook, these rideshares, etc. are not ultimately responsible for deaths like this - they can't control the existence of loony/evil fucks.  But they certainly can do more than shrug their shoulders and say, gee hope it works out.  I do actually believe that they can be negligent to a degree, like the bartender that doesn't stop serving drinks to a sot.  In this case, I think they could do more since their business revolves around offering ride services that open people up to risks they otherwise wouldn't have.

Serious question. Have you ever used Uber or Lyft before?  Uber literally sends you a realtime notification when your car is arriving. And the app tells you the car make and model, the license plate number, the picture of the driver, and the name of the driver. 

It feels like what you're describing is what has been offered by this service since the beginning. 

Yes, perhaps there is not a digital handshake, but that seems like an excessive amount of software engineering to protect the .01% of people who can't do a visual ID check on a license plate and make sure they're getting in the right car. And even then, telling people "don't get in car unless phone says to" doesn't feel very different from "don't get in car unless license plate matches"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Continental Op said:
2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:
Lol. Ok. Calling her a dumbass is cool.  I’m a real bleeding heart around here too.  Always up on my high horse.  Yep, that’s me.  

Ok...so what could Uber and Lyft have done to prevent this?

They could require that anyone who impersonates a driver have fingerprints on file

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Serious question. Have you ever used Uber or Lyft before?  Uber literally sends you a realtime notification when your car is arriving. And the app tells you the car make and model, the license plate number, the picture of the driver, and the name of the driver. 

It feels like what you're describing is what has been offered by this service since the beginning. 

Yes, perhaps there is not a digital handshake, but that seems like an excessive amount of software engineering to protect the .01% of people who can't do a visual ID check on a license plate and make sure they're getting in the right car. And even then, telling people "don't get in car unless phone says to" doesn't feel very different from "don't get in car unless license plate matches"

This.  Uber/Lyft (whichever service it was) have zero responsibility here.  I don't care how drunk/careless/unaware you aware, it's your responsibility to simply match up the license plate on your app to the license plate on the car you are getting into--and that's after you can, in real time, watch the car make it's way toward your location.  It's not hard.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Wut? Uber sends every possible thing you need to make sure you get in the correct ride and are safe. They are not responsible for 2/3 of this. They are responsible for none of this. This woman was careless. If you are so blackout drunk you can't perform simple tasks like this, maybe you should have someone you know personally take you home. I mean she was functioning enough to maneuver through her phone to order the ride initially. She should be good enough to keep up with the rest. Uber sends you a notification that your ride has gotten there. You have every ounce of information you could need to make sure you don't get in a wrong vehicle. 

Uber and Lyft are not going to go out of their way to add these extra features because of less than 1% of people get in a wrong vehicle. Then where does it stop? What if happens again after those safe measures? Are you going to push for the driver getting out of his car and exchanging IDs with the rider?

It's the same concept as wanting to blame a car manufacturer for a drunk person getting behind the wheel and doing serious damage. Sounds like you would be for mandatory breathalyzer devices placed in every car and you are required to blow a legal or safe number before the car turns on. Same concept.

Uber/Lyft work perfectly fine for people who drink too much. A handful of instances out of how many rides they give total is not going to cause any change in their business model.

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Like 2

You get to live longer and fuck anytime you want. Oh, and if you want quiet you can stop talking. Male privilege my ass.

Her friends and family are not dumbasses. They are hurt by this senseless crime. I am not sure that there is an actual Uber problem here (there are identifying markers supplied to riders) and there are alternative programs like cabs and public transportation.
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, M12BH said:

Blaming Uber/Lyft for this is idiotic. And makes zero sense. They have all the necessary steps in place to make sure you get in the correct ride. What more do you want from them?

And no, this is not an issue. An issue is something glaring that needs attention. What percentage of people get into wrong vehicles from the total amount of ride shares given every day? Less than .01%. Yeah, that is an issue of a few careless people, not some Uber/Lyft issue here. I am pretty sure it is common sense to make sure you get the ride you ordered.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Yes, but it was awhile back, and they did have that feature, but it was based on where the driver was, and honestly people didn't really even look at it as they were more directed toward the arriving car.  Plus it would be easy to say the software's down but here I am.

And it's a good amt. of engineering, but I still think they should work more towards a secure acknowledgement on both sides, or something.  I think they probably are, and when stuff like this happens, you know they double their efforts, because even if it's not their fault, they'll lose business to a critical degree if it's decided by the public that the risk is too great.  No they're nowhere near that now, and this won't harm their rep (well much more than the already ongoing problems with some drivers) but I think it's still mostly their responsibility to compensate for passenger idiocy/shortcomings to a degree.  Legally? Perhaps not.  But practically, absolutely.

35 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I disagree.  Uber and Lyft offer a service.  If you get sidetracked or lost on the way to the point of delivery, where did they fall short?

if I want whataburger but I’m drunk and walk into McDonald’s instead ...  I’m harmed in some way...what does whataburger owe me and why?

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

I was thinking of my elderly parents, who are convinced that anyone who uses Uber or Lyft is begging to get murdered.

My dad still refuses to use an ATM. He said my sister lost money one time while using one, she had no clue what he's talking about. He used to refuse to use a restaurant drive-thru, not sure if that's still a thing with him. He's 71 FWIW.

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I don’t at all. That’s a tired, generic joke. You however are accident prone to the extent that you are not very bright or prone to hang out with idiots/thugs. Possibly both. Go get something else stolen and catalog it here. 

Wittle beeper boy is mad. It’s good to see you’re still taking it personally. 

I stole your mom’s virginity. Does that count?

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Blaming Uber/Lyft for this is idiotic. And makes zero sense. They have all the necessary steps in place to make sure you get in the correct ride. What more do you want from them?

And no, this is not an issue. An issue is something glaring that needs attention. What percentage of people get into wrong vehicles from the total amount of ride shares given every day? Less than .01%. Yeah, that is an issue of a few careless people, not some Uber/Lyft issue here. I am pretty sure it is common sense to make sure you get the ride you ordered.

You're not wrong in this, but I bet after this incident that Uber/Lyft/etc. will come out with some security update/announcement within 6 months that's an "enhancement' to existing security.  Because while you compare this to car manufacturers, I think of airlines - they already do way more than you'd think to lower the bar to accommodate imbeciles.  Becuase if they get even a breath that the public is going against them, they will panic.  Look at the 737 MAX thing.  I mean it's 2 flights (maybe a third or fourth) out of over 100,000 yet Boeing has gone apoplectic (as has some of the airlines which use them) to inform the public about huge efforts to "improve" the software.  Yes in this case a buncha people are killed at once, not just one, but still the percentages are probably miniscule.  Yet there's the PR.

I think these companies have opened up a new set of security risks with this type of service, and it's up to them to keep addressing them.. even if they serve idiots that can't shit in the toilet without help.  Because that's the business/culture they've chosen.  Is it their fault this girl was killed?  I think maybe a tiny bit.  Legally, again no but this type of thing will make them scour their software/business practices pretty heavily, and if it wasn't at all a worry for them, they probably wouldn't - or would say what's said here by some - "we ain't responsible for this, get a fucking brain and use it."  Fine here, but that'll get you broke in this business eventually.  They're no doubt tyring to figure out how to improve this process even more, else they would feel that this is 100% not really their problem - and I really doubt they do.

11 minutes ago, Sandman said:

My dad still refuses to use an ATM. He said my sister lost money one time while using one, she had no clue what he's talking about. He used to refuse to use a restaurant drive-thru, not sure if that's still a thing with him. He's 71 FWIW.

Well I rarely use a drive-thru, too, but that's to get more exercise, save gas, and usually save time by going inside.  Plus I glare at the cook the whole time to let him know to not even think about spitting in my food...lots of benefits for skipping the drive-trhu.

I also grab the first spot at the edge of the big box parking lot for similar reasons, plus getting to feel smugly superior to the lazy lemmings that circle around and waste time hunting for the social prize of that closest to the door space.  Enjoy Diabetes, you vain silly hens!

Edited by clapclapclap
Not 71, but I'll make it 101 (unless I'm a Jim Fixx)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, M12BH said:

How you doin'?

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

30 minutes ago, Sandman said:

My mother-in-law was once trying to call a restaurant or something, and she got a busy signal.

She hung up the phone for a couple of minutes, and then asked someone for the phone number again.

"Just hit redial," I said.

She says, "I don't trust redial."

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Well I rarely use a drive-thru, too, but that's to get more exercise, save gas, and usually save time by going inside.  Plus I glare at the cook the whole time to let him know to not even think about spitting in my food...lots of benefits for skipping the drive-trhu.

I also grab the first spot at the edge of the big box parking lot for similar reasons, plus getting to feel smugly superior to the lazy lemmings that circle around and waste time hunting for the social prize of that closest to the door space.  Enjoy Diabetes, you vain silly hens!

All of this.  My God. I will happily get that extra 400 steps each way to go get my 10-15 items at the grocery just to laugh at that lazy fuck who waits 8 minutes for that one person to unload their groceries into the car, back out, then leave.  It's absolutely maddening.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

My mother-in-law was once trying to call a restaurant or something, and she got a busy signal.

She hung up the phone for a couple of minutes, and then asked someone for the phone number again.

"Just hit redial," I said.

She says, "I don't trust redial."

Do we have a "Stupid Shit my In-laws Say/Do" thread yet on LULZ?  That'd be a good thread starter.  

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Even if I did provide advice, which I'm not and don't, you'd only tell me I was paranoid so why bother. I suggested the notion only that situational awareness can be helpful.

I never stated my closer associates call me paranoid. I stated:

To convince anyone of this is extremely difficult and they accuse you of being paranoid or of living in fear.

Which is EXACTLY what you did.

You've done great in life so keep doing what you have been. It clearly works, so fuck any suggestions or actions I might make/point out. They are worthless and I'm obviously paranoid according to you.

Oh and stop putting words in my mouth.

We're forced to put words in your mouth because everything else you're saying is extremely vague. You obviously want to tell us your story, and you're waiting for us to ask. So tell us your story already.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, phdhorn said:

3 hours ago, M12BH said:

I must have missed the part of the story where the murderer was an up-to-that-point credible Uber driver and not some deranged psycho trolling around in his own car trying to murder people.

The more I think about it, actually, the more I'm wondering what Uber/Lyft has to do with it at all. 

Is it so much of a goddam burden to talk about things that Uber and Lyft might be able to do to mitigate the possibility of something like this happening again?

In your opinion, what could Uber or Lyft have done to save this girl's life? In my opinion, the answer is nothing. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 2

Part of the problem is we can't have an incident like this without someone (typically a corporation) to blame.

We can't simply say, she was careless and a tragedy resulted, and leave at that while we hunt down the murderer and put him in front of a firing squad that deliberately hits parts of the body that result in a slow, painful death.

Uber/Lyft certainly can't afford not to take action for fear of losing riders.  Because, we can't just see this for what it was.

8 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Part of the problem is we can't have an incident like this without someone (typically a corporation) to blame.

We can't simply say, she was careless and a tragedy resulted, and leave at that while we hunt down the murderer and put him in front of a firing squad that deliberately hits parts of the body that result in a slow, painful death.

Uber/Lyft certainly can't afford not to take action for fear of losing riders.  Because, we can't just see this for what it was.

Uber/Lyft are not losing any customers over this incident. They had zero to do with this. Unless it can be proven they did not give this woman the correct details on her upcoming rideshare driver and all those needed details. But they did. She just assumed that vehicle was her ride without verifying one piece of information. This driver had no connections to the company. At all. So placing any blame on them is ignorant. I get getting caught up in the emotions of it at all but it was simply a careless act by the victim and a murderous asshole on the other side. Uber/Lyft have no involvement. Unless of course we can start going after car manufacturers when some drunk driver kills or injures a family member?

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Like 2

Yeah, I'm holding back. That's what is going on. 
Net:
Dumb drunk and oblivious is no way to go through life.
Unless you are Nivek, of course.

You are kind of a cunt. But I will defer to you. You know what no one else does. We are all oblivious to the boogeyman hiding around the corner.

Sad that she died from a moment of stupidity. At least they caught the piece of shit.

I’m annoyed as fuck that there are bitch made adults, who even have two brain cells processing that the ride share is responsible/needs to do more. Da fuck is wrong with you? Do you know how they even work? Guess they should provide escort service before the ride shows up to escort the rider.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Well I rarely use a drive-thru, too, but that's to get more exercise, save gas, and usually save time by going inside.  Plus I glare at the cook the whole time to let him know to not even think about spitting in my food...lots of benefits for skipping the drive thru

Me too. Also relevant:

7 hours ago, Continental Op said:
8 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Ok...so what could Uber and Lyft have done to prevent this?

Give each driver a magnetic sign that says "Uber" or "Lyft" to attach to the top of their car while they're working, just like a lot of delivery drivers use. It makes it extra hard for anyone to get in some rando's car and it's free advertising.