What Was Your First...

SHOOTER12

First that my parents took me with them was either Ray Price or Wayne Newton...although possibly there was a HLSR concert before that. Of course this doesn't include the bands my grandfather and father played in on the SA dance hall circuit back when I was just a toddler.

The first I ever paid my own money to see was Foreigner with Cheap Trick opening for them - 1978 at The Summit.  Not surprisingly Cheap Trick was the better of the two bands.

d2bb1e8d275ef41ff84a99ddc90d2e92.jpg
Even kept my ticket stub. Yeah, it was fun.

As Dylan's first full-fledged tour since 1966, it received an enormous amount of coverage from the music press, and it would prove to be very profitable. Top-dollar tickets were $9.50 (roughly $50 in 2017), an extravagant sum in 1974. The tour received 5.5 million pieces of mail applying for up to four tickets each. Sold by mail-order only, promoter Bill Graham claimed there were mail-order requests for more than twelve million tickets for the approximately half-million seats available for the shows[citation needed]. According to Clinton Heylin, it was estimated that $92 million worth of checks and money orders were sent in by close to 4% of the American population.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Went to the Houston Rodeo a lot when I was younger....in the 80s...so I can't remember which person/group was actually the first I saw.  

It is really between George Strait, Reba, Rodney Crowell, Restless Heart, Alabama, or Clint Black for my first one.  Can't really figure it out because I have seen all of them, but not sure which years.  

from Michigan so for me it was kid rock.  it was right before he got big and it was in a 1800 person venue. stain'd opening for him.  the band came out and were handing out demos before they opened. Aaron Lewis gave me a copy but I lost it that night (csb).

My grandparents used to own a dancehall in Victoria, so I have some vague recollections of seeing Jerry Jeff Walker and Doug Stone, among others, there when I was little. I have a picture with Jerry Jeff and my dad when I was 4.

First real concert was Toadies and Everclear at Sunken Gardens in San Antonio. It was in either '95 or '96.

John Denver in Tulsa - had to be 1976 or 1977 because Starland Vocal Band opened and their one song, Afternoon Delight came out in '76. I was around 10.

The first concert I remember going to as an adult was Stevie Ray Vaughan out at Manor Downs in '84 or '85. Delbert McClinton opened. Also saw Leon Russell and Randy Newman (separately) at around the same time. These were in Austin.

Edited by po elvis

1978 Willie Nelson and Family at the Summit 

Same but at Tarrant County Convention Center (first with Parents - their choice)

Couple years later - convinced them to take me to see April Wine with Point Blank and Frankie and the Knockouts - DCCC

First on my own - Texas Jam - Cotton Bowl. 83. Styx, Sammy Hagar, Triumph, Ted Nugent, Uriah Heep. Now that was a day.

First concert w/ Parents:  Jacksons Victory Tour/Michael Jackson (second half of the show). 1985 in the Astrodome

First concert w/ Friends:  The Rolling Stones Steel Wheels (Living Colour opened).  1989 in the Astrodome.  Friend who knew someone got us 11th Row Center for $32 at the last minute.

On 4/22/2019 at 10:33 PM, tbone_ said:

Same but at Tarrant County Convention Center (first with Parents - their choice)

Couple years later - convinced them to take me to see April Wine with Point Blank and Frankie and the Knockouts - DCCC

First on my own - Texas Jam **Cotton Bowl. 83. Styx, Sammy Hagar, Triumph, Ted Nugent, Uriah Heep. Now that was a day.

**Texxas

• Like 1

First one I can recall was Genesis’ Invisible Touch tour RFK Stadjum 1986. Me and my brother had nosebleeds. Lots of reefer in the vicinity. And a support post right in front of us. My only real memory was some kickass dueling drum solos between Phil Collins and the other guy.

On 4/22/2019 at 10:33 PM, tbone_ said:

First on my own - Texas Jam - Cotton Bowl. 83. Styx, Sammy Hagar, Triumph, Ted Nugent, Uriah Heep. Now that was a day.

My first big rock concert was SuperJam at Busch Stadium:  Styx, Blue Oyster Cult, Angel, Eddie Money & Bob Welch.  

James Taylor with the folks, as a kid. First one I bought my own tickets too, and went with friends was Van Halen 1984 at the Cotton Bowl. Went to every Texxas Jam there ever was, and the Freedomfest after that.

CHIEF

Pearl Jam, NOLA, 1993

1.    Release

2.    Go

3.    Animal

4.    Why Go

5.    Deep

6.    Jeremy

7.    Dissident

8.    Even Flow

9.    Glorified G

10. Daughter

11. Blood

12. Alive

13. State of Love and Trust

14. Porch

15. Encore:

16. The Kids Are Alright

17. Rearviewmirror

18. Last Exit

19. Sonic Reducer

• Like 1

Greg Giufria was in that band. Somehow in hs I ended up backstage at Reunion Arena at some show where his solo band, creatively named Giufria, opened. During the headline show he was standing around with this girl in a tight white dress in tow. I remember thinking that she was the hottest girl I’d ever seen or ever would see. Just insanely hot, to my 17yo brain. Hair metal had its advantages back the day.

<!--url%7B0%7D-->

15 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Greg Giufria was in that band. Somehow in hs I ended up backstage at Reunion Arena at some show where his solo band, creatively named Giufria, opened. During the headline show he was standing around with this girl in a tight white dress in tow. I remember thinking that she was the hottest girl I’d ever seen or ever would see. Just insanely hot, to my 17yo brain. Hair metal had its advantages back the day.

In HS I was editor of the paper and a buddy wrote "reviews".  We scored press passes to see Shooting Star (Last Chance) so we could interview the band.  We ended up hitting it off with them and they would let us hang when they were in the area.  One time my buddy got a call from Van McClain (lead guitar, RIP and fuck you West Nile Virus) and he said they were opening an arena show for Molly Hatchett, so would we like to come hang out?  Hell yes!  So we end up backstage at this giant party full of hard rock bands, nasty roadies and dozens upon dozens of groupies.  I'm not sure either of us was 20 yet.  To say it was eye-opening would be to put it mildly.  "Almost Famous", but far more debauched in real life.  Thanks, Van.

On 4/9/2019 at 8:52 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

Rush with Golden Earring opening on the Signals tour at Lakewood, I mean The Summit , March 1983 so I was 14 and in 8th grade. A friend of mine got stabbed at the Scorpions show there earlier which I neglected to tell my parents. (He was ok, pretty much a flesh wound. But tons of street cred).

About all i remember of Golden Earring is that they played Twilight Zone for about 20 minutes and Radar Love for almost as long. 

Rush comes on and was really good, sounded like they were in the studio. In hindsight that was kinda strange because obviously not many other bands are like that. I bought a shirt and stuffed it down my pants. Made it out of there without incident.  

Been to many many shows since. But not another Rush show

I fell asleep at a Rush concert in the '80s at the Summit so this hits close to home.

On 4/26/2019 at 6:48 PM, Sbbruin said:

1979.  12 years old.  Dodger Stadium.  One of the biggest bands in the world at the time.  The Brothers Gibb.  I was sitting approximately in the circle.

c936c906967a928d769b5531ae91ecf2.jpg

the Jews looked happier on the way to Auschwitz

• Haha 1

Growing up in Houston, like others have mentioned, the Livestock Show and Rodeo were probably some of my first concerts.  Alabama, Oak Ridge Boys etc.

Would go in high school as well...Clint Black, Garth, Alan Jackson and those types.

The first concert I bought tickets for...like waited in line at Sound Warehouse...was Lollapalooza 1992 at the Fort Bend County Fairgrounds.  

Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Ice Cube, Ministry, Red Hot Chili Peppers

Joe Paul Nichols & His Five Pennies opening for Sheb Wooley/ Ben Colder at the Dallas Sportatorium.  Had to be the late 70s or early 80s.  Somewhere I have an autographed cassette from Sheb Wooley.

My first "real" concert was The Fabulous Thunderbirds, SRV and The Who at the Cotton Bowl in 1989.  

large_Concert_1989_09_03_Who_Cotton_Bowl

I was at a new order show around that time at Palmer or City or something where the new order guy just walked off the stage 3-4 songs in. Panties all in a wad about something. Never came back. Kind of sucked actually.

Was that your show?

James Brown at an old church turned club called The Bowery in Oklahoma City around 1985. I was about 13/14 at the time. Was really into the Godfather of Soul at the time and asked my parents to take me. They thought I was nuts but, to their credit, they did take me.

Can still see the turquoise tuxedos.

On 5/8/2019 at 2:25 PM, tbone_ said:

I was at a new order show around that time at Palmer or City or something where the new order guy just walked off the stage 3-4 songs in. Panties all in a wad about something. Never came back. Kind of sucked actually.

Was that your show?

I don't remember that, then again I was drinking Miller High Life'd bought from the Diamond Shamrock on Airport Blvd across from Highland Mall. I was 16 or 17 at the time. I was also probably on E.