Game of Thrones Season 8 (Bookfags unite)

Michael Knight

We're supposed to be pissed... at Danaerys.  Instead we're pissed at the writers (a distinction Derka made well a couple of episodes ago).   I don't actually feel much emotionally about Dany's descent into madness.  Just like I don't have much emotional feeling about Cersei's death.   That's a sure sign of botched writing. 

That said, I'm using "upset" and "pissed" very loosely.  I had a fun time watching the episode.  I've also had a fun time watching some Michael Bay movies, like Armageddon.  It's just disappointing that the show isn't rewarding in the same way it used to be, and when the reasons why are so obvious and easily fixable. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

We're supposed to be pissed... at Danaerys.  Instead we're pissed at the writers (a distinction Derka made well a couple of episodes ago).   I don't actually feel much emotionally about Dany's descent into madness.  Just like I don't have much emotional feeling about Cersei's death.   That's a sure sign of botched writing. 

That said, I'm using "upset" and "pissed" very loosely.  I had a fun time watching the episode.  I've also had a fun time watching some Michael Bay movies, like Armageddon.  It's just disappointing that the show isn't rewarding in the same way it used to be, and when the reasons why are so obvious and easily fixable. 

It's like you're me.

Last season, I was in the camp of giving D&D all sorts of leeway and excuses because I knew that had a whole lot to wrap up tons of storylines quickly. Prior to the start of this season, I was incredibly excited. Giddy as a little boy on Xmas morning prior to the first episode. Excited to see the battle before the third. Mildly interested prior to each of the following. Now, I'm just ready for some closure - no matter how it ends.

10 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

There is some shitty writing but how they are approaching the main characters has been pretty good IMO.  S8:E4 has a lot of bullshit filler scenes but it also has some great foreshadowing and dialogue when it comes to the main characters.  

Everyone is so quick to bash the show this season but we have no idea how it’s going to end. That’s a pretty good indication it doesn’t suck. 

We’re on the last leg of this roller coaster but it seems most have already made up their mind. Sad! 

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

There is some shitty writing but how they are approaching the main characters has been pretty good IMO.  S8:E4 has a lot of bullshit filler scenes but it also has some great foreshadowing and dialogue when it comes to the main characters.  

Everyone is so quick to bash the show this season but we have no idea how it’s going to end. That’s a pretty good indication it doesn’t suck. 

We’re on the last leg of this roller coaster but it seems most have already made up their mind. Sad! 

Having no idea how it's going to end is not a good indication that it doesn't suck.   It's at best a neutral fact.   It could mean that the writers have cleverly kept the audience on their toes.  Or it could mean that they've so poorly written the story that the coming developments could be totally random.   Nobody knew how Dexter was going to end, and it was for the latter reason, resulting in one of the worst endings of any formerly good show.  

Edited by Mojo Hand

48 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s pretty clear Jon Snow is the protagonist and Dany is the villain now.  How that conflict is reconciled should be good television.  Who doesn’t want to see that? 

I don't agree with many of your opinions stated above, but I certainly agree with this.  Despite any critique I have of the writing in recent episodes, I still thoroughly enjoy the show and am looking forward to Sunday's series finale.  It's going to be hard to let this one go, similar to the way I felt about Mad Men.

Finally got to see the latest episode. Like most, I feel this season is a shit show and have resigned myself to embracing the shittiness and just accepting it for what it is, but good lord, some of the plot armor is so bad. So, the scorpions are super accurate in one episode, then the next they couldn't hit shit? The Golden Company is something to wring our hands over but not one of those assholes swings a sword? What 17 year old did they yank off of the internet to write this fan fiction?

Finally got to see the latest episode. Like most, I feel this season is a shit show and have resigned myself to embracing the shittiness and just accepting it for what it is, but good lord, some of the plot armor is so bad. So, the scorpions are super accurate in one episode, then the next they couldn't hit shit? The Golden Company is something to wring our hands over but not one of those assholes swings a sword? What 17 year old did they yank off of the internet to write this fan fiction?
Adam Friedberg? He's got to be about 21 now, right?

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We have lots of ideas how it’s going to end. And we also have a 99.99% chance that we’re all going to be pissed about it, whether it’s because the surprise was rushed, out of character for everyone involved, or just “Jon ends up on the throne” which would be the most predictable conclusion ever.

I don’t think GRRM wrote this story full of surprises where the good guys always die with an ending where the most predictable thing happens and the good guy wins.

I think a key character to watch is Davos.  He’s hitched his wagon to the wrong horse before and it will be interesting to see where the dialogue goes with Jon Snow.

Well Davos isn’t a psychopath, so there’s only way one for it to go.

Your takes are bad, and you should feel bad.

On 5/15/2019 at 6:47 AM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You’re supposed to be pissed.  Dany seduced the audience (you) to the point no one saw it coming except the guy that pulled an Obi-wan Kenobi in front of Luke Skywalker to get him to resist the dark side.

53BEC9F8-4753-4C9F-B699-7EDD75B5C098_zps

If you bros have been expecting predictability while watching this show, that's on you.

For some reason I’m reminded of this as I read over everyone’s quibbles.

Writing in Time magazine when it first came out, Frank Rich derided the film as "not so much an epic account of a gruelling war as an incongruous, extravagant monument to artistic self-defeat".

"Years and years from now," Ebert wrote, "when Coppola's budget and his problems have long been forgotten, Apocalypse will still stand, I think, as a grand and grave and insanely inspired gesture of filmmaking."

https://www.theweek.co.uk/entertainment/5191/apocalypse-now-original-1979-reviews

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

If you bros have been expecting predictability while watching this show, that's on you.

Do you really think people who have been super into this show for years now just generally hate all plot points that don’t go how they expect?

Subversion for subversion’s sake is just shitty writing, just like GRRM says in the video above. 

On 5/15/2019 at 12:15 PM, Eastwood said:

As far as the scorpions, my assumption was they were a new introduction in the last episode and now she knew how to deal with it. She primarily came from the side/back after the first run and they were too heavy to swing quickly.

The best way to end it in line with the show history is she goes mad and kills Jon, Sansa, et al. just like Ned at the beginning. The Mad Queen takes over for the legacy of the Mad King and no one gets a happy ending.

2 hours ago, Brew said:

As far as the scorpions, my assumption was they were a new introduction in the last episode and now she knew how to deal with it. She primarily came from the side/back after the first run and they were too heavy to swing quickly.

The best way to end it in line with the show history is she goes mad and kills Jon, Sansa, et al. just like Ned at the beginning. The Mad Queen takes over for the legacy of the Mad King and no one gets a happy ending.

Then Arya kills her becoming the kingslayer, which sets off a new war. Michael then becomes Omar and Dookie becomes Bubbles. Time is a flat circle. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Brew said:

They weren't new.   Last season:

I guess Dany "forgot" that too. 

Do you really think people who have been super into this show for years now just generally hate all plot points that don’t go how they expect? Subversion for subversion’s sake is just shitty writing, just like GRRM says in the video above.  

This. I was a book reader who appreciated how the TV show got rid of a lot of the superfluous side plots and go-nowhere arcs and condensed them. All while still maintaining amazing character development, dialogue and intrigue. I actually preferred the show to the books. I wasn't offended by the liberties they took with travel time, magic, or the other things that the reddit nerd types get upset about. But the last two seasons, especially this one, are off the rails. Characters acting completely out of character. Confusing and misleading scenes everywhere. Terrible inconsistency.

I thought last episode, as a stand alone, was great. The problem is that you have to ignore everything from the prior 4 episodes for it to make sense. The dragon crossbows going from heat seeking to worthless. Tyrion and Varys turning stupid. The Winterfell war appearing to wipe out like 95% of the army, then next episode having huge numbers still. None of that shit makes sense. And all of those were unforced errors that could have been corrected with better, more thoughtful writing.

And the heel turn. I saw it coming, and I think it was the right direction, story wise. But it was horribly executed. Just terrible. I'm ready to end it mercifully at this point.

• Like 3

All whining about the writing aside, can we agree that the original music has been exceptional?

The themes throughout the series and having recognizable melodies (Rains of Castamere) presented in many different styles has really contributed to the richness of the story.

[derka] I'd give it a 4.2104367 [/derka]

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

All whining about the writing aside, can we agree that the original music has been exceptional?

The themes throughout the series and having recognizable melodies (Rains of Castamere) presented in many different styles has really contributed to the richness of the story.

[derka] I'd give it a 4.2104367 [/derka]

Yeah. It really is a shame the writing sucks. The music, choreography, special effects, etc. have been some of the best ever.

• Like 1

Music is great, cinematography is great, special effects are great.  It's still a really good TV show.

I also agree with Brad that the TV show was able to clean up some of Martin's weird and unnecessary side plots.  Like, everything that happened in Dorne.  And Quentyn Martell's entirely useless and stupid misadventures.

1 hour ago, RamjetFDO said:

see, while this is funny, it does illustrate how the writers this season are employing a shit ton of red herrings. did this matter, ever, this season? it gave tyrion one line with 0 effect on anything. it didn't even make euron throw a tantrum and abandon king's landing. cersei never showed a baby bump, despite people going back and forth from winterfell with reckless abandon. this shit DID NOT MATTER. 

The one character that TV missed out on was Lady Stoneheart. One if the saving graces in A Feast for Crows. Imagine the shock of the TV viewers when out of nowhere she appears with the Brotherhood. They could have had a few hints over the course of several episodes of a “Silent Sister” leading a band of outlaws killing Lannister’s etc before the big reveal.

Missed opportunity imo...

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

The one character that TV missed out on was Lady Stoneheart. One if the saving graces in A Feast for Crows. Imagine the shock of the TV viewers when out of nowhere she appears with the Brotherhood. They could have had a few hints over the course of several episodes of a “Silent Sister” leading a band of outlaws killing Lannister’s etc before the big reveal.

I'll not have you besmirch Strong Belwas

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mileslong said:

One of my favorite part of the books is all the tells leading up to Catelyn's return as a vengeful zombie. 

When she visits Renly to treat with him for Robb, he lets her have his pavilion since he's staying in the castle there where the army is camped.  She enters his tent and sees his armor hanging on a rack.  It's deep green polished to such a sheen that she can see her reflection in it.  She comments on how she looks like a drowned woman and asks herself if a woman can drown in grief. 

Then there are the numerous references to her injured hands and how they've been cut to the bone.  Clear foreshadowing to the bone deep scratches she leaves on her face at the Red Wedding and her future skeletal aspect. 

As an aside, I think AFFC and ADWD get a bit of a bad rap.  Yeah, they have some filler like Brienne/Pod going on a snipe hunt with that weird dude and Quentyn's pointless adventure.  Though I imagine Quentyn's failure will have some serious repercussions down the road.  Maybe with pushing Doran into the arms of fAegon or some such.  However, those two books have a lot of great shit in them.  Jaime's growth into something better than a self-obsessed, sister fucking asshole.  Jon's leadership of, and eventual assassination by, the Night's Watch.  Tyrion's descent into madness and becoming "Tywin writ small."  All the shit to do with the Faceless Men.  All the great stuff with the Ironborn, specifically Victarion and his molten fist of doom. 

If you feel like AFFC and ADWD are weak, fillerish books, don't ever fucking read the middle of A Wheel of Time.  If you do, you'll realize Martin, while meandering at times, is nowhere near as bad as he could be. 

Edited by SpiralOut
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

One of my favorite part of the books is all the tells leading up to Catelyn's return as a vengeful zombie. 

When she visits Renly to treat with him for Robb, he lets her have his pavilion since he's staying in the castle there where the army is camped.  She enters his tent and sees his armor hanging on a rack.  It's deep green polished to such a sheen that she can see her reflection in it.  She comments on how she looks like a drowned woman and asks herself if a woman can drown in grief. 

Then there are the numerous references to her injured hands and how they've been cut to the bone.  Clear foreshadowing to the bone deep scratches she leaves on her face at the Red Wedding and her future skeletal aspect. 

As an aside, I think AFFC and ADWD get a bit of a bad rap.  Yeah, they have some filler like Brienne/Pod going on a snipe hunt with that weird dude and Quentyn's pointless adventure.  Though I imagine Quentyn's failure will have some serious repercussions down the road.  Maybe with pushing Doran into the arms of fAegon or some such.  However, those two books have a lot of great shit in them.  Jaime's growth into something better than a self-obsessed, sister fucking asshole.  Jon's leadership of, and eventual assassination by, the Night's Watch.  Tyrion's descent into madness and becoming "Tywin writ small."  All the shit to do with the Faceless Men.  All the great stuff with the Ironborn, specifically Victarion and his molten fist of doom. 

If you feel like AFFC and ADWD are weak, fillerish books, don't ever fucking read the middle of A Wheel of Time.  If you do, you'll realize Martin, while meandering at times, is nowhere near as bad as he could be. 

Agree with a lot of this, aside from the fact that I hate any and every single word written about the Ironborn.  God they suck.  I understand the need or desire to get a fleet for Dany, but other than that, every single interaction among them sucks the life out of my very bones.

And now I'll tell you how I really feel... :)

33 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Agree with a lot of this, aside from the fact that I hate any and every single word written about the Ironborn.  God they suck.  I understand the need or desire to get a fleet for Dany, but other than that, every single interaction among them sucks the life out of my very bones.

I've been working my way through the books on audible and feast starting out with an hour long damphair chapter killed my desire to continue just 20 minutes into the book. That was a few months ago. I'll eventually get back to it, but ugh. 

And now I'll tell you how I really feel...
Nuncle
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, utee94 said:

Eh, maybe part of my enjoyment of the Ironborn is anticipation of their future part in the books.  Euron is trying to turn himself into Cthulu.  Victarion has been touched by the LoL and is headed for a show-down w/ Euron/TheDrownedGod. 

The Kingsmoot was solid shit, though.  Was really disappointed when the show completely neutered it and gave us Knock-off Jack Sparrow. 

• Like 1

And now I'll tell you how I really feel...

Victarion and Euron are awesome