Game of Thrones Season 8 (Bookfags unite)

Michael Knight

2 hours ago, austingirl said:

Regardless of the story itself, the acting was phenomenal. We've never seen Cersei cry, or see Tyrion slack-jawed in shock. The Hound's whole demeanor as he fought his brother was fantastic. I'm at least grateful that the actors were able to get everything they could out of the script.

This is such a great point. The acting has been top fucking notch, even through the questionable writing decisions. I cannot think of a single mailed in performance. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

If “anybody” could write this story, there wouldn’t be a separate thread for BFs and illiterati. I’ve voiced plenty of concerns about D&D, but they’ve probably done as good a job as anybody could have...other than not even knowing how to pronounce the names of central characters.

No, they haven't. Not knowing how to pronounce major character names after working on this project for more than a decade is inexcusable, but is also emblematic of how little effort they've put into this and lack of care for details and constancy. They don't understand the story, they don't understand the characters. They try to create shock and only create ridiculous "Danny kind of forgot about Euron" moments. Their MO is to put every character in extreme crisis, preferably with lots of big explodey things, then Deus Ex Machina their way out of it. Add in a few dick jokes from Tyrion and that's a wrap. 

Halfway decent show runners could have made the whole thing epic, D&D only got in the way.

Edited by Pods
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

I think we’ve all forgotten that there wasn’t a single one of us that expected this show to have a happy ending. And the majority of us assumed the show would outpace GRRM, which we knew would inevitably lead to an even shittier wrap up. We got great seasons while there was source material from the books, and we got something far less than that without them. There’s a reason so many of us are passionate about this - GRRM is arguably the best storyteller of our lifetimes (at least in this genre). If “anybody” could write this story, there wouldn’t be a separate thread for BFs and illiterati. I’ve voiced plenty of concerns about D&D, but they’ve probably done as good a job as anybody could have...other than not even knowing how to pronounce the names of central characters.

With one episode left, I’ve given up on being pissed. Watched this last episode again with that mindset, and it was pretty enjoyable. I assume most illiterati are OK with how everything has gone. They don’t know how to read, so it’s not like their attention span is good enough to recognize gaping plot holes and character swings.  Looking forward to doing the same next week, and hopefully we’ll get books some day to salve the wounds. 

Nope.  Illeterati thread has more anger than this one.  

A long buildup to her going crazy wouldn’t have been entertaining.  And it would have made this episode too expected.  

One scene, from this episode, that I go back and forth with in terms of believing, are the scenes of the peasants running to towards KL to get inside the walls. I understand the protection concept but the dragon makes the city the worst place to be.  And in Danys eyes, it means the peasants are basically the opposite of the slaves that revolted to support her in her previous conquest (meera?)

these haven’t been my favorite episodes of GoT but I don’t understand the hate.  

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

A long buildup to her going crazy wouldn’t have been entertaining.  And it would have made this episode too expected.  

One scene, from this episode, that I go back and forth with in terms of believing, are the scenes of the peasants running to towards KL to get inside the walls. I understand the protection concept but the dragon makes the city the worst place to be.  And in Danys eyes, it means the peasants are basically the opposite of the slaves that revolted to support her in her previous conquest (meera?)

these haven’t been my favorite episodes of GoT but I don’t understand the hate.  

I still love the show.  As for peasants, they were most frightened by the fire, so they thought they could hide in the buildings.   But, they didn't know homeboy's tail can wreck shit too.

I'm not sure if it's okay to post on both threads, but here goes.

I don't think she's crazy. She's angry. Westeros is a horrible place filled with horrible people as far as she's concerned. She sacrifice greatly to protect Westeros from the army of the dead and gets no love. The 'innocents' in the Red Keep flocked to the woman who betrayed Dany and who cold-bloodedly killed a close friend and adviser.

King's Landing embodies what she despises about Westeros. I'm not sure that she wants to rule this shithole.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I don't think she's crazy. She's angry. Westeros is a horrible place filled with horrible people as far as she's concerned. She sacrifice greatly to protect Westeros from the army of the dead and gets no love. The 'innocents' in the Red Keep flocked to the woman who betrayed Dany and who cold-bloodedly killed a close friend and adviser.

King's Landing embodies what she despises about Westeros. I'm not sure that she wants to rule this shithole.

Eh.

I mean, that's certainly one explanation for what she did.  But given her character's previous love and care for the oppressed and innocent in the world, I don't think it's a particularly believable one.

She embraces and even celebrates many of the Dothraki ways, and yet she hated their practice of raping and pillaging conquered lands so much, that she basically created a civil war within her own tribe in an effort to end it.  And also, you know, breaking the chains and all.

Even if this is the intent of the showrunners, I'm not buying it.  It was a weird and hurried rush toward a plot point without anywhere near enough development to get there in a believable way.  Just my opinion of course, and we all gave our own views.

Overall though I still really enjoyed this episode and still enjoy the show.  My quibbles are minor.  I'll be watching again on Sunday, and I'll be sad to see it all end.

4 hours ago, Bookman said:

Next episode;

Dany takes the Iron Throne, Jon Snow kills Dany, but trips when approaching the Iron Throne and gets impaled, leaving Tyrion to be king. Since he's still technically married to Sansa, she becomes Queen.

Why do people say this? They never consummated the marriage, and she was married to Ramsay in between (on the show). She's not married to Tyrion anymore. Not saying that they can't get remarried, but they ain't husband and wife.

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

This is me.  I would have burned it to the ground as well.

As others have pointed out:  It was very well done from an SFX, technical, and acting perspective. As 80 minutes of TV go, I enjoyed myself.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Eh.

I mean, that's certainly one explanation for what she did.  But given her character's previous love and care for the oppressed and innocent in the world, I don't think it's a particularly believable one.

She embraces and even celebrates many of the Dothraki ways, and yet she hated their practice of raping and pillaging conquered lands so much, that she basically created a civil war within her own tribe in an effort to end it.  And also, you know, breaking the chains and all.

Even if this is the intent of the showrunners, I'm not buying it.  It was a weird and hurried rush toward a plot point without anywhere near enough development to get there in a believable way.  Just my opinion of course, and we all gave our own views.

Overall though I still really enjoyed this episode and still enjoy the show.  My quibbles are minor.  I'll be watching again on Sunday, and I'll be sad to see it all end.

Why can't we just accept that losing her dragons (basically her kids), and two long term friends, and her advisors betraying her, Jon betraying her, and nobody accepting her as queen, has basically changed her?  That certainly happens in real life.  Who gives a crap about your ideals 10 years ago when your life was great.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Why can't we just accept that losing her dragons (basically her kids), and two long term friends, and her advisors betraying her, Jon betraying her, and nobody accepting her as queen, has basically changed her?  That certainly happens in real life.  Who gives a crap about your ideals 10 years ago when your life was great.

Again, that's certainly what the show is attempting to force us to believe.  But the attempt to force us anywhere is the issue.  I'm not sure those events would change a person in that way, so much to the point that they pursue genocide.

But I'm not a zany Targaryen, so who knows?

My opinion is, that I'm not buying it.  It's a problem for me, and I don't accept it.

It still doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the episode and won't enjoy the next one.

14 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

With one episode left, I’ve given up on being pissed. Watched this last episode again with that mindset, and it was pretty enjoyable. I assume most illiterati are OK with how everything has gone. They don’t know how to read, so it’s not like their attention span is good enough to recognize gaping plot holes and character swings.  Looking forward to doing the same next week, and hopefully we’ll get books some day to salve the wounds. 

lol imagine slamming people for failing to read thousands of pages of what amounts to a more adult themed Harry Potter.  

• Like 1

Paralleling to real life very few people have an opportunity to commit genocide, so it doesn't happen often, but lots of people have opportunities to commit mass violence on innocent, and that happens all the time.  If you gave those people a dragon, they'd probably use it.  Even if their 10 year younger self wouldn't.

Edited by Gene Parmesan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Paralleling to real life very few people have an opportunity to commit genocide, so it doesn't happen often, but lots of people have opportunities to commit mass violence on innocent, and that happens all the time.  If you gave those people a dragon, they'd probably use it.  Even if their 10 year younger self wouldn't.

I'd be surprised if their ten-year younger self had ever fought multiple wars to free slaves, or caused a civil war within their own nation to attempt to prevent the raping of innocent women in conquered lands.  So your parallel really isn't much of one.  But it's ok, you and I can have differing opinions. 

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I'd be surprised if their ten-year younger self had ever fought multiple wars to free slaves, or caused a civil war within their own nation to attempt to prevent the raping of innocent women in conquered lands.  So your parallel really isn't much of one.  But it's ok, you and I can have differing opinions. 

Your opinion sucks, and you don't know how analogies work.

How you Surly:

23 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Your opinion sucks, and you don't know how analogies work.

18 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

maybe go fuck yourself mark wahlberg GIF

Not how you Surly:

30 minutes ago, utee94 said:

But it's ok, you and I can have differing opinions. 

22 minutes ago, utee94 said:

You take internet message boards, and television shows, way too seriously.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hornian said:

Why do people say this? They never consummated the marriage, and she was married to Ramsay in between (on the show). She's not married to Tyrion anymore. Not saying that they can't get remarried, but they ain't husband and wife.

yeah.  if the maester didnt see the P go in the V, it doesnt count

When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. 

Dany thought the people would love her and welcome her as a liberator. They did not. They rejected her and do not like her. 

But she still has to win the game, or she dies. 

Since there is no love, there is only fear. She has to do something that will resonate throughout Westeros that she cannot be fucked with. The people of King's Landing could have risen up against Cersei and let her walk into the city with no bloodshed. They chose not to do so. They crowded into the city to be protected from her, choosing sides. They are the example that will secure the throne for Dany.

Win, or die. In the absence of love, there is only fear. And surrender time was yesterday. 

She didn't give the people in King's Landing a moment to do anything before she burned them. They didn't crowd into the city to protect Cersei. They crowded in hoping they wouldn't die trying to flee with a foreign army outside their walls. As Tyrion said, the people don't give a shit which asshole sits on the Iron Throne. They just want to feed their kids and live their lives. It wasn't fear for the people in King's Landing. It was mass extinction. If it was a warning to the rest of Westeros then that makes more sense. It was handled poorly. 

• Like 3

Do the people of Kings Landing even know of the white walkers?  Even if some heard, how many believe?  They're living regular lives.  Nothing is wrong.  Out of the blue this bitch shows up with dragons and armies.  How the fuck Dany thinks she would be perceived as anything other than an invader is preposterous.   Even if they were starving in a siege, the siege is because of Dany, not Cersei.  Of course the people don't love her, they don't even know who the fuck she is.  

It was pretty fucking dumb.  Does Dany really think some popular insurrection is a greater threat (like the plebs have any agency in this universe) than being done in by her closest advisers, people who have the access required to kill her and do not share any kind of deep, familial bonds that would prevent them from doing so?

I don't hate the way they turned Dany into the Mad Queen and it's understandable to me with her character arch and recent betrayals/losing Rhaegal. I just think with a bit better writing it could have been a very meaningful emotional moment in the show. They could have set it up so the audience is horrified by her downfall yet somewhat empathetic based on a traumatic trigger event in the heat of battle.

Another moment from the last couple seasons that was just good when it could have been outstanding. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

She didn't give the people in King's Landing a moment to do anything before she burned them. They didn't crowd into the city to protect Cersei. They crowded in hoping they wouldn't die trying to flee with a foreign army outside their walls. As Tyrion said, the people don't give a shit which asshole sits on the Iron Throne. They just want to feed their kids and live their lives. It wasn't fear for the people in King's Landing. It was mass extinction. If it was a warning to the rest of Westeros then that makes more sense. It was handled poorly. 

Pretty much.  She could have delivered the same message to the rest of Westeros by slaughtering the surviving enemy armies that surrendered and publicly executing Cersei and her advisers.  The townsfolk would have eaten that shit up the same way they enjoyed Ned's beheading.

9 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Do the people of Kings Landing even know of the white walkers?  Even if some heard, how many believe?  They're living regular lives.  Nothing is wrong.  Out of the blue this bitch shows up with dragons and armies.  How the fuck Dany thinks she would be perceived as anything other than an invader is preposterous.   Even if they were starving in a siege, the siege is because of Dany, not Cersei.  Of course the people don't love her, they don't even know who the fuck she is.  

I agree completely. It was naive of her and her advisers to ever think it would have been different. She's not the savior she perceived herself to be.

Plus, she rides a DRAGON. She brought a dragon into a battle. The results were totally predictable.

Skipped a few posts so don't know if it's been mentioned, but there was another huge continuity error last episode. Heard they showed Jaime Lannister's missing hand suddenly regrown as he's holding Cersi. Will have to go rewatch and look for it, but if so c'mon! That's just sloppy.

11 minutes ago, RPM said:

Skipped a few posts so don't know if it's been mentioned, but there was another huge continuity error last episode. Heard they showed Jaime Lannister's missing hand suddenly regrown as he's holding Cersi. Will have to go rewatch and look for it, but if so c'mon! That's just sloppy.

Hey, man.  If you're just running out the clock, run out the clock. 

I'd argue they've been doing that since Season 5, but they've gotten extremely good at it the past two seasons.  Ain't nobody got time for making sure coffee cups and hands are where they're supposed to be.  We've gotta wrap this shit up and get on to further ruining another franchise! 

Again, that's certainly what the show is attempting to force us to believe.  But the attempt to force us anywhere is the issue.  I'm not sure those events would change a person in that way, so much to the point that they pursue genocide.
But I'm not a zany Targaryen, so who knows?
My opinion is, that I'm not buying it.  It's a problem for me, and I don't accept it.
It still doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the episode and won't enjoy the next one.

You’re not a zany Targaryen but I understand that you have had some inbreeding within your family tree...

Yes, for all the bitching about the writing, there is no doubt that the writing this season, and the last few, does not equal the writing when the shows were based on the books.

But, bitching about the writing and this season is like those people on the football board who bitch about all of the college football bowl games. It's still college football. And it signifies that the long 9 month hiatus with no college football is about to begin. At least it's football.

At least its Game of Thrones. After Sunday night, it is no more. Fuck it. Imma gonna enjoy it.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Forgot about that. Don’t remember which scene, but there was a point where I noticed his gold fist was on the wrong side. Must’ve flipped the video image, because I’m sure they don’t have a full set of gold hands laying around, and even if they did he certainly wouldn’t have accidentally put the wrong one on

9 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Must’ve flipped the video image, because I’m sure they don’t have a full set of gold hands laying around, and even if they did he certainly wouldn’t have accidentally put the wrong one on

That makes sense. But nope.

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

What are the main prophecies again? 

One of them was about Cersie dying by the hands of her younger brother, which would explain why Jaime got his hand back.

Or maybe that was a play on words, because Tyrion enabled Dany and he is Hand of the Queen?

Or does the show even care about prophecies? I still don't know what the point of Bran's story arc was. 

20 hours ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

You mean this is a fantasy?  What are you going to tell me next, that this doesn't take place on earth.  I think we can allow for some creative liberty, haven't said that D and D are perfect, but Dany going crazy isn't a stretch imo.

yes, but Rhaegar didn't seem crazy right?

You are the one who brought blame into this whole discussion. I don't care where you want to place the blame for any of it. What I said is she'd crazy and that no I didn't think the things she's experienced in the books/show would excuse what she did. Rhaegar isn't written as being crazy. He's written as being the opposite.

57 minutes ago, Surlybastard said:

You are the one who brought blame into this whole discussion. I don't care where you want to place the blame for any of it. What I said is she'd crazy and that no I didn't think the things she's experienced in the books/show would excuse what she did. Rhaegar isn't written as being crazy. He's written as being the opposite.

Sorry, I think I was trying to agree with you.  Naija was basically saying why isn't Jon crazy.  My point is just because a lot of people in your family is crazy doesn't mean you are.

29 minutes ago, Haphap said:

I rewatched that part of the episode and nowhere I found this. Must have been photoshopped for funsies 

You're right. I just rewatched it frame by frame through that whole scene. That shot was done much tighter. You couldn't see his hand if it was there. In all other shots he has the metal hand. Unless there's a different version out there or somebody got hold of a still taken on set, it's a fake.

19 hours ago, hornian said:

I'm not going to pretend to know the marriage laws of Westeros, but I assume they'd need a divorce. But perhaps a second marriage is ipso facto a divorce of the unconsummated prior marriage.

Edited by Bookman

6 hours ago, RPM said:

You're right. I just rewatched it frame by frame through that whole scene. That shot was done much tighter. You couldn't see his hand if it was there. In all other shots he has the metal hand. Unless there's a different version out there or somebody got hold of a still taken on set, it's a fake.

Saw a post somewhere stating that HBO edited the scene after it first aired. So if you watch it on HBO Go or whatever, it’s a tight shot. If you had it DVRd then it’s a wider shot. No idea if true though since I didn’t DVR it

1 minute ago, NorthLoop said:

I readthat that pic is from a promo and not pulled from the show. 

this is also what I heard. The re-air vs dvr thing should be easy to prove or disprove though. There's got to be millions with it still on their dvr.

On 5/13/2019 at 11:02 PM, SquishMitten said:

Gotdamn, people. Are we upset that there wasn’t any build up for mad-queen in previous episodes? Or are we upset that all the build up didn’t occur in this episode? 

We're upset that the build-up in previous episodes plus the trigger for her transition to mad queen in this episode doesn't add up.  That could have been solved by changing either the build up in previous episodes or by making the trigger in this episode more believable. 

• Like 1