Breaking news - Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on fire

Armybrat

AP:

A French judicial police official said investigators think an electrical short-circuit most likely caused Notre Dame Cathedral fire.

The official, who spoke anonymously about the ongoing investigation, said investigators still don't have the green light to work in the cathedral and search in the rubble for safety reasons.

He told The Associated Press the monument is still being consolidated with wooden planks to support some fragilize parts of the walls.

34 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The internet will be the end to humanity as we know it.

/csb time... It was '98 or so and I was living in Ft Worth. I was talking to the chick who lived next door and she said she wanted a computer, she just had to have one. I took her to Best Buy (might have had some coupons) and got her a desktop, took it to her house and got her all set up on AOL. The very next day as I'm coming home from work she meets me in the street grinning from ear to ear "I had sex last night! On the internet!"

Yeah, that ship has sailed.

Not sure how any of this is thread topic related.

2 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

/csb time... It was '98 or so and I was living in Ft Worth. I was talking to the chick who lived next door and she said she wanted a computer, she just had to have one. I took her to Best Buy (might have had some coupons) and got her a desktop, took it to her house and got her all set up on AOL. The very next day as I'm coming home from work she meets me in the street grinning from ear to ear "I had sex last night! On the internet!"

Still a good story. So when are you uploaded the pictures? 

3 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Well without pics it's a hell of a lot more boring. That's for damn sure....

9 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

You needed more affirmation you were in the friend zone??? 

17 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Inevitable... First Official "I See Jeeezusssss In The Fire!!!11!" pic.  Lady claims to see Our Lord and Savior hanging around the conflagration, twit-ters blowz up "Yes YES I SEE HIM!!!"  The Second Person of the Triune God in the red circle:

aW1hZ2VfdXJpPWh0dHBzJTNBJTJGJTJGcy55aW1n

Maybe, but he seems like His head is 21 sizes too small for that NBA Shawn Bradley corpus.

I see Freddie Mercury in the wood.

freddie-mercury-1.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/17/2019 at 10:17 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

In most residential historical districts they discourage and sometime flat out reject slavishly carried out additions and renovations to older homes that make it impossible to tell old from new

Why?

17 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I actually did have a few pics of her, taken on a Mavica that used floppy discs for storage. No idea now. And just to keep it topic related, she was no Quasimodo. Cute Jersey gal in her mid 30's, worked at Tandy Corp.

Into leather, was she?

7 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

So you can tell what was original, and what has been added/altered.The same technique is used with historical artifacts exhibited/curated.  

I'm not a historic preservationist but I do work with many professionals, and this is the correct take. There is a belief among them that old buildings are like a menagerie of museum collectibles that can't be replicated. "Authenticity" and "character" are the name of the game and determining which time in the past is an accurate reflection of its historic fabric should be considered for restoration will be the puzzle for Notre Dame de Paris.

Should every element of the previous structure be "slavishly" restored using the same materials and techniques that had been previously used - even on the spire which was a fanciful invention of the 1800s? Should they take it back to what they think is the original incarnation with a more modest one that blew over due to neglect in previous centuries? Or should they create an entirely new one that perhaps provides a generous nod to the past?

I'm really eager to see what comes as a result of these difficult decisions.

11 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'm not a historic preservationist but I do work with many professionals, and this is the correct take. There is a belief among them that old buildings are like a menagerie of museum collectibles that can't be replicated. "Authenticity" and "character" are the name of the game and determining which time in the past is an accurate reflection of its historic fabric should be considered for restoration will be the puzzle for Notre Dame de Paris.

Should every element of the previous structure be "slavishly" restored using the same materials and techniques that had been previously used - even on the spire which was a fanciful invention of the 1800s? Should they take it back to what they think is the original incarnation with a more modest one that blew over due to neglect in previous centuries? Or should they create an entirely new one that perhaps provides a generous nod to the past?

I'm really eager to see what comes as a result of these difficult decisions.

Yep, I think modern technology, and materials should be reflected somehow.  Making it clear that this is new, and this is old is what should be happening. It maintains historical place, and context of the building and it's many revisions over the centuries. 

It's not a time capsule, but a very much used living and breathing building that's been altered since its original structure was erected over a pagan temple.  Making changes, that do not re photo copy what was pre fire to are fine, and very appropriate in my opinion.

I've had an argument/discussion on this very topic with preservation agencies, I've submitted projects for tax abatement consideration.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm tellin' ya, a spire of a lit Gauloises is the frenchiest french thing I can imagine, they pretty much hafta do it....

238487ebf85cf0e0feaaf583c5d3ef8851d22348

I'm going to have to disagree. There's a famed nude photo of French model Laetitia Casta, which I'd love to post but can't here, with her arms raised that I think would be perfect for topping the new spire. You're free to google the search terms "Laetitia Casta nude" on your own to see what I'm referring to.

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'm going to have to disagree. There's a famed nude photo of French model Laetitia Casta, which I'd love to post but can't here, with her arms raised that I think would be perfect for topping the new spire. You're free to google the search terms "Laetitia Casta nude" on your own to see what I'm referring to.

Well huh. She seems to have no problem taking her clothes off. I like the cut of her jibs.

3 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Well huh. She seems to have no problem taking her clothes off. I like the cut of her jibs.

Imagine the photo with her arms and right leg raised at the top of the spire. She'd make for a wonderous Lady Liberty. 

300px-Eug%C3%A8ne_Delacroix_-_Le_28_Juil

Ain't nothing more French than that.

On 4/18/2019 at 11:58 AM, bigup2dahorns said:

He told The Associated Press the monument is still being consolidated with wooden planks to support some fragilize parts of the walls.

The walls were brought in from Italy?
BabyishPleasedAustrianpinscher-size_rest

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

I heard one French “official” state that the fire may have been a result of a “computer glitch”. More speculation no doubt, but the thought of an ancient building that has endured so much succumbing to high tech is a trip.

Irony = the fire alarm system shorted out and started the fire.

Edited by TexasEd

On 4/16/2019 at 5:16 PM, thrillhammer said:

but yet you don't think it should be rebuilt?

By the way, how much $$$ has the Catholic Church donated to this this renovation? I know they have millions of dollars in their pockets.

I haven't looked up the number, but I guess it isn't even close to what others have invested.

Edited by mycox