North Austin Restaurant Suggestion

gsoda3

Fellas, need some help.  

I do some volunteer work with an organization here in town.  I need to hold a weeknight dinner meeting at a restaurant that's an orientation for new volunteers (between 6-10 people).  The organization is paying for dinner and the budget's $10 / person.  It has to be quiet enough to go over a 45 minute presentation with handouts.  

Every place I can think of or that I've used for work is closer to $20-$25 per person.  I'm somewhat at a loss.  Any ideas?  I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, thanks.

That's a pretty tiny budget.  Maybe a pizza joint?  Conan's on Burnet has an elevated section that's pretty small, maybe you could reserve that.  Or La Madeline on Research, don't they have a couple of more isolated section?  Also, Galaxy Cafe on Mesa is somewhat divided up.  They have sammiches & burgers, among other things.

I don't know that you'll find a place with a small enough room to reserve for privacy at that price.

that is a tiny budget.  and hopefully that does not include tip, or you're looking at $8.50 per person.  Good luck with that.  You might could find a Mexican restaurant that would let you do something like pre-order for everyone and they all get two soft flour tacos with rice and beans.  that would probably not please a lot of your folks, and the restaurant ain't making out too well either, so lots of disgruntlement in that plan.

This will prompt laughter, but it might just work out:  there is a TexMex joint called "El Nuevo Mexico" near Anderson Lane and North Lamar, and you can link a debit card via Groupon for 30% off your first bill.  That could make a big difference.  They have daily dinner specials that range from $7.25 to $10 on weeknights, plus a la carte offerings. 

Somebody (gsoda3) is likely going to have to kick in a few bucks, regardless.

• Like 1

There is only one right answer here and it's Baby Acapulco.  Take a trip in their time machine back to the early 90's and listen to the happy hour playlist of Bon Jovi and Chaka Khan's greatest hits. 

Did you ever watch Office Space and think "Hey, I'd like to live in this movie?"  Baby A's is the solution. 

$8.50 should be enough for two purple margaritas, guaranteeing a compliant audience until they pass out. 

Do they serve food you ask?  They do!  Do you like cheese?  That's great, because everything on the menu is guaranteed to be slathered in the gooiest queso Sodexho has in their expired inventory.  

Need parking?  Come to Baby's A's where the parking lot is certain to be empty and signs warning "Don't leave items visible in car. Ownership has no liability for vehicle theft" are plentiful. 

Baby A's!  Not just a front for money laundering, but your best option for a weeknight destination on a tiny budget!

Edited by LCHorn

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

This will prompt laughter, but it might just work out:  there is a TexMex joint called "El Nuevo Mexico" near Anderson Lane and North Lamar, and you can link a debit card via Groupon for 30% off your first bill.  That could make a big difference.  They have daily dinner specials that range from $7.25 to $10 on weeknights, plus a la carte offerings. 

Somebody (gsoda3) is likely going to have to kick in a few bucks, regardless.

El Nuevo is actually has pretty damned good food, to boot.

Rudy's BBQ doesn't take tips.  A "family pack" allegedly feeds 5-7 people and includes 3 meats, 3 sides, and a gallon of tea, and is $69 out the door (including tax).  That's right at the budget if it's actually enough food for 7 people.  I'd talk to the manager about bumping the size a bit if more show up.

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

What about the Jason's Deli near the Arboretum? It has a good variety of food and it should hit your budget (or close to it). The only problem is that there is no seating area that could be sectioned off, but for dinner on a weeknight, I don't think it would be too crowded.

The new Jason's Deli  next to Conan's Pizza on Anderson is never packed since no one really knows it's open yet. 

50 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The new Jason's Deli  next to Conan's Pizza on Anderson is never packed since no one really knows it's open yet. 

That's actually not a bad suggestion.  You can do Jason's for the price, and you really will have pretty decent privacy.

$10 a head.  Shit.  You can hardly find a takeout "lunch box" type deal for that.

On 4/17/2019 at 8:05 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Rudy's BBQ doesn't take tips.  A "family pack" allegedly feeds 5-7 people and includes 3 meats, 3 sides, and a gallon of tea, and is $69 out the door (including tax).  That's right at the budget if it's actually enough food for 7 people.  I'd talk to the manager about bumping the size a bit if more show up.

Pok-E-Jo's has their Big Deal which serves 10-12 for $106. 5 lbs of meat, 4 quarts of sides, and all the fixin's.

I like Asia Cafe on Spicewood at that price point. They have a bunch of quieter side rooms for you to have your meeting. You can order 9-10 different dishes and serve them family style. The rooms have big circular tables with a center lazy susan to make sharing easy. Mix in cheaper stuff like chicken fried rice with more expensive dishes like spicy fish (amazing).