Lieutenant gov. Dan Patrick

Voldemort86

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Wowza, that'll move the needle.  

You being sarcastic or is my meter off? I'm pretty cynical about any Democrat running statewide and I think he actually could, as long as he doesn't run the usual statewide loser playbook. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

No sarcasm, I think he's a viable option.  He'd move my needle and I'm exactly the kind of voter he should be targeting (not a registered Democrat-although I pull D primary ballots a lot, but tired of GOP sociopaths running my beloved state into the fucking ground).  

He's a pretty moderate Democrat.  He's very juiced in with UT and has lots of friends in our alumni base except Patty (meaning campaign $$$). 

Few times I've interacted with him, he seemed kinda dorky.  But then again so is the soft spoken, Dan "I got it at Ross!" Patrick. 

He was the one that beat Huffhines in a "swing" district.  Only negative I can think about him is he's pretty far left on environmental issues/energy/climate, but after the ERCOT disaster, independents and even some moderate Republicans no longer think of that as a taboo subject.   Otherwise, he's just a jobs, health care, education vanilla Democrat which is a good thing.   I've heard plenty of credible shit on half the Senate, but this guy is often spoken of highly, or not really spoken about at all.  Again, a good thing is this particular election cycle. 

So long as no far left candidates come out of the woodwork to---as you say---run the usual statewide loser playbook...and force him to run a far left primary which will be used against him by Patrick in the general; I think he's a great candidate. 

If you hear of anything happening here in Austin for him (early fundraiser/exploration/sounding boards/informal stuff), lemme know.  I'd contribute to this guy to knock off Dan Patrick in a heartbeat.  

Edited by Lobo

31 minutes ago, Lobo said:

If you hear of anything happening here in Austin for him (early fundraiser/exploration/sounding boards/informal stuff), lemme know.  I'd contribute to this guy to knock off Dan Patrick in a heartbeat.  

There's been talk in the past of a shaggy Surly PAC. This would be a good purpose of such a thing. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

what a fucking dumb ass, he's telling people to be afraid of unborn / unmade babies, that MIGHT vote in 18 years ? bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha

the blue wave can't happen soon enough 

But we have to protect those unborn once they reach Texas shores, right?  I mean, otherwise...what was it all for Governor?  

No sarcasm, I think he's a viable option.  He'd move my needle and I'm exactly the kind of voter he should be targeting (not a registered Democrat-although I pull D primary ballots a lot, but tired of GOP sociopaths running my beloved state into the fucking ground).  
 He's a pretty moderate Democrat.  He's very juiced in with UT and has lots of friends in our alumni base except Patty (meaning campaign $$$). 
Few times I've interacted with him, he seemed kinda dorky.  But then again so is the soft spoken, Dan "I got it at Ross!" Patrick. 
He was the one that beat Huffhines in a "swing" district.  Only negative I can think about him is he's pretty far left on environmental issues/energy/climate, but after the ERCOT disaster, independents and even some moderate Republicans no longer think of that as a taboo subject.   Otherwise, he's just a jobs, health care, education vanilla Democrat which is a good thing.   I've heard plenty of credible shit on half the Senate, but this guy is often spoken of highly, or not really spoken about at all.  Again, a good thing is this particular election cycle. 
So long as no far left candidates come out of the woodwork to---as you say---run the usual statewide loser playbook...and force him to run a far left primary which will be used against him by Patrick in the general; I think he's a great candidate. 

I know Nathan and his family very well. They are fine people. He’s incredibly smart, and truly motivated by and dedicated to serving the people of Texas. He’s honest, and decent, and 100X smarter than Patrick. I will campaign for him and give him money.

And he doesn’t have a chance. Because this is the dumbest fucking state in the dumbest fucking timeline.
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I know Nathan and his family very well. They are fine people. He’s incredibly smart, and truly motivated by and dedicated to serving the people of Texas. He’s honest, and decent, and 100X smarter than Patrick. I will campaign for him and give him money.

And he doesn’t have a chance. Because this is the dumbest fucking state in the dumbest fucking timeline.

Agree. I’ll get in for like a grand tho

30 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I can't speak for RGV Mexicans but the second/third generational Mexicans I know are 100% in dotard's pocket.   I mean ALL in. 

They are drawn to “I got mine, fuck everyone else.” It’s a pretty consistent theme in the Republican Party. And Mexican immigrants identify with that machismo law and order shit. 

On 10/29/2020 at 4:53 PM, atomheartbevo said:

"Patrick" was his wife's middle brother's name. 

Late reply I know but I just browsed through this thread and saw this post.

This reminded of the time I had an unusual interaction with an old guy at work. This was in the late 1990's and the guy was in his early 60's and was clearly a closeted homosexual. The dude would go out of his way to talk about how hot the female coworkers were and would talk shit about some of the gay employees that were out. It was weird but I just assumed it was a generational thing.

So one day I was helping him with a bug he was working on where the password masking on an app was borked. I am not sure what he did but he dropped the wrong password in and it appeared unmasked. "Alejandro1940!" His name was Ralph and he was not Hispanic.

His immediate response was "Alejandro is my wife's brother's name, it's easy to remember." I just nodded but I already knew that Alejandro was his husband because I saw them shopping for groceries together all the time at HEB.

Just thought it was weird to say that it was his wife's brother's name. Then I see that Dan is using the same explanation. Hmmm...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, he actually went through with it.  I thought he'd hang on the sidelines but Matthew Dowd has entered the race.  As a Democrat this time.  GOP is already worried and scrambling to defame him as a former conservative who sold out to the liberals.  Which is weird, because that doesn't really help you in a general.  Matt was a Republican operator in Texas years before Dan Patrick got fitted for his first pants suit and moved to Texas. 

Obviously an uphill battle but Matt can grab some disaffected Republicans better than anyone.  He's got the middle/independent/moderate are down cold, which is why the GOP woke up in a cold sweat this morning.  Only thing that'll bring him down is you far-left Democrats won't be able to shut the fuck up about him bringing Bush to power 20 years ago.  Sorry to act like a fucking asshole but I love this guy and he's got a fucking lane to victory. It's narrow, but we can all see it.  But some of your hardcore brothers and sisters on the far left of the D party are gonna fuck this up.  Mark my words.  And maybe you think he doesn't deserve your nomination.  But honestly, at this point in history...I don't give a flying fuck.  I voted for Biden, I bundled $175,000 for BIden in Texas.  You can get the fuck over yourselves.  This is your one and only shot to take down Dan Patrick.  Get it through your fucking heads. You have nobody else that can win this seat.  Not even Beto.  Neg rep me all you want.  You know I'm right.  

And this board is gonna help Matt Dowd or you can wring your hands on the sidelines in defeat.  But you want in, you lemme know.  Just please don't fuck this up.  This is our state's best shot. Please.  You can play fantasyland next cycle.

Edited by Lobo

50 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Well, he actually went through with it.  I thought he'd hang on the sidelines but Matthew Dowd has entered the race.  As a Democrat this time.  GOP is already worried and scrambling to defame him as a former conservative who sold out to the liberals.  Which is weird, because that doesn't really help you in a general.  Matt was a Republican operator in Texas years before Dan Patrick got fitted for his first pants suit and moved to Texas. 

Obviously an uphill battle but Matt can grab some disaffected Republicans better than anyone.  He's got the middle/independent/moderate are down cold, which is why the GOP woke up in a cold sweat this morning.  Only thing that'll bring him down is you far-left Democrats won't be able to shut the fuck up about him bringing Bush to power 20 years ago.  Sorry to act like a fucking asshole but I love this guy and he's got a fucking lane to victory. It's narrow, but we can all see it.  But some of your hardcore brothers and sisters on the far left of the D party are gonna fuck this up.  Mark my words.  And maybe you think he doesn't deserve your nomination.  But honestly, at this point in history...I don't give a flying fuck.  I voted for Biden, I bundled $175,000 for BIden in Texas.  You can get the fuck over yourselves.  This is your one and only shot to take down Dan Patrick.  Get it through your fucking heads. You have nobody else that can win this seat.  Not even Beto.  Neg rep me all you want.  You know I'm right.  

And this board is gonna help Matt Dowd or you can wring your hands on the sidelines in defeat.  But you want in, you lemme know.  Just please don't fuck this up.  This is our state's best shot. Please.  You can play fantasyland next cycle.

Uh ok man. You get the good powder this morning?

Let me help you out? Does he have a -D next to his name? Sounds good, got my vote. 

• Hook 'Em 3

You know damn well your party will find a way to fuck this up.  I'm not saying he's got a great chance, but he has the best chance of anyone else out there.  Particularly since he can bring in moderate/sensible R's and independents.  Crack wise all you want about "there's no sensible Republicans in Texas anymore, they're all fascists in a race to the bottom" or whatever.  But nobody is winning without clearing 1/2-1mm Republicans as a Democrat.  And nobody is doing that except Dowd.  Only thing that'll fuck him is some unusual mid-term hardcore-MAGA turnout or a bunch of Democrats just skipping over his toxic name to move on to their Congressional and Mayoral races of choice in the urban/suburban areas.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You know damn well your party will find a way to fuck this up.  I'm not saying he's got a great chance, but he has the best chance of anyone else out there.  Particularly since he can bring in moderate/sensible R's and independents.  Crack wise all you want about "there's no sensible Republicans in Texas anymore, they're all fascists in a race to the bottom" or whatever.  But nobody is winning without clearing 1/2-1mm Republicans as a Democrat.  And nobody is doing that except Dowd.  Only thing that'll fuck him is some unusual mid-term hardcore-MAGA turnout or a bunch of Democrats just skipping over his toxic name to move on to their Congressional and Mayoral races of choice in the urban/suburban areas.  

Listen Rain Main, why don't you stop ranting for one second like a lunatic carrying on 3 conversations with himself. For starters, "my party" is...registered Republican until 2016. So if you're going to project and make blanket statements, maybe stop making it sound so poster specific. Try "The democratic party" instead. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I may be a glass half full kinda guy, but I think Democratic leaning voters of all stripes are so win starved, they’ll be much more pragmatic this time around. Dowd can very cause the tectonic shift needed in Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

As a benchmark, Mike Collier lost by almost exactly 400K votes. If he can pull the last 1/2 million "Moderate R's" he can get home. I'm not sure there are 500,000 of them left, but I'll vote for him if he's the nominee. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If Collier is half-smart, he'll step aside for Dowd.  Mike can easily galvanize the Democratic party.  I just donated money to him myself a few months back.  But nobody will bring mid-term independents and cranky Republicans into the fold like Dowd.  Nobody.  Dowd can pickup 250-500k GOP'ers and 500k independents in his fucking sleep.  

Call me whatever you want.  Nature has opened up a pathway to defeat Dan Patrick with a good and decent human being.  I'm getting to work.  

Mark my words.  The only way this gets fucked up is either too many nutjobs on the hard right come out of the woodwork even though their messiah isn't on the ballot.  Or hardcore establishment Democrats crush Dowd in the primary.  I know this guy a long time, he can fucking do this.  Let's help him.

15 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Will he make decisions as a Democrat? Or is he going to whittle down public education to fund vouchers?

We’ll see, but I was surprised to learn that most of his work in Texas, prior to signing on with GWB, was with Democrats. His first job after moving to Texas, was with the AFL-CIO. 

15 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Will he make decisions as a Democrat? Or is he going to whittle down public education to fund vouchers?

I'd heard his name but couldn't exactly place him so went to Wikipedia (of course) for answers. Dowd was a Democrat until 1999 and even worked for Bob Bullock. Switched to the GOP and was chief strategist for Bush's 2004 campaign but became disenchanted with the Iraq War and Katrina going to shit and helped to elect Schwarzenegger in 2006 in California. He also is apparently on record as hating Trump.

Sounds like he's your old-fashioned Blue Dog Democrat of the variety that ran this state for decades. While I'm a progressive, I'm also pragmatic. If that's the best we can do, then I'm all for it at this point.

10 minutes ago, bolverk said:

While I'm a progressive, I'm also pragmatic. If that's the best we can do, then I'm all for it at this point.

On one hand, I want to agree, but OTOH, public education might well top my list of concerns. There is value, IMO, in having the pro-voucher position anchored to bat shit crazy. The screw is going to turn.

Edited to add that I will probably vote R in the primary, anyway. Any R candidate that speaks out against the Lie will get my vote. (Assuming such exists). And I’ll vote D in the general. If Dowd’s the guy, he’ll get my vote and I’ll continue to do what I can to advance my personal beliefs.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Explained

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

I'd heard his name but couldn't exactly place him so went to Wikipedia (of course) for answers. Dowd was a Democrat until 1999 and even worked for Bob Bullock. Switched to the GOP and was chief strategist for Bush's 2004 campaign but became disenchanted with the Iraq War and Katrina going to shit and helped to elect Schwarzenegger in 2006 in California. He also is apparently on record as hating Trump.

Sounds like he's your old-fashioned Blue Dog Democrat of the variety that ran this state for decades. While I'm a progressive, I'm also pragmatic. If that's the best we can do, then I'm all for it at this point.

Yea, I think electing a moderate is the best we can hope for for the next few cycles. We need to do something...anything to break up this triumvirate of buffoonery. 

8 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

On one hand, I want to agree, but OTOH, public education might well top my list of concerns. There is value, IMO, in having the pro-voucher position anchored to bat shit crazy. The screw is going to turn.

Edited to add that I will probably vote R in the primary, anyway. Any R candidate that speaks out against the Lie will get my vote. (Assuming such exists). And I’ll vote D in the general. If Dowd’s the guy, he’ll get my vote and I’ll continue to do what I can to advance my personal beliefs.

Education is probably the biggest issue for me at the state level. As the son of two public school teachers, I'm 100% opposed to public dollars going to private schools. I'll reassess my shoulder shrugging support if he supports them. Since he's running as a Democrat, there's no way he'd be dumb enough to voice support for vouchers in his campaign at the risk of raising the ire of teachers from across the state.

• Hook 'Em 4

Not that it should matter but he does send his daughter to private school so go ahead and get the blowback out y'all's system if that's an issue for you.  But there's a good reason he sends her there.  Even Dan Patrick hasn't gone to the mattresses on vouchers much during his 7 years in terms of actual legislation, so I doubt Dowd tries to slip in a trojan horse to upend public education as we know it.  

Although it'd be pretty fucking weird to see since Huffhines is about to abolish the state property tax/recapture program apparently.  

FWIW-I can't conceive of a world where he'd make that anything approaching a priority to mess with lessening the funding of public schools.  I was just bringing up the private school part because the guy has done well for himself since leaving politics and sent his youngest to private school.  Y'all are too pragmatic but we know he's gonna get shit about it.  Just trying to lay out the chips.  

1 minute ago, Willfully Horn said:

We have a crossed wire. I respect private schools. My concern is funding public schools.

Same.

Private schools are private. They should only be funded by private dollars.

Public schools are public and are funded accordingly.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

FWIW-I can't conceive of a world where he'd make that anything approaching a priority to mess with lessening the funding of public schools.  I was just bringing up the private school part because the guy has done well for himself since leaving politics and sent his youngest to private school.  Y'all are too pragmatic but we know he's gonna get shit about it.  Just trying to lay out the chips.  

Highly doubtful.

Did Obama catch shit for sending his kids to private school? No.

Do you want to know why? He didn't try to gut federal education funding.

• Hook 'Em 1