Getting old sucks

Hate

8 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Actually, Mrs. Brat needed a wheelchair twice; first when she broke her ankle 15 years ago at a Texas football game, then in 2018 after she fell down some stairs at St. Paul’s in London. (Broken arm, nose, and severely bruised & swollen shins).

Kinda tough on a lady in her 70s

56E62C62-3EEB-4AE5-A1FA-FDE67923F7F7.jpeg

Ouch!!!

About the broken ankle at a Texas game....she was kicking some okie or aggy ass ill bet.

1 minute ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Ouch!!!

About the broken ankle at a Texas game....she was kicking some okie or aggy ass ill bet.

No, I fell on her when I tripped forward stepping up on the curb outside the stadium on San Jacinto.

• Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Reading glasses.
I have considered the ones that hang around your neck ... but I don't want all of that "chain hanging around your neck" business. I'm thinking that's more of an "I'm over 70" thing.

Only particular problem with the "chain around the neck" thing? If you're as messy an eater as I am, the glasses need to be cleaned every time you have a little snack.

EDIT: I don't wear readers. No point in it - ingredients and stuff like that, I just use the phone camera, no sweat. Regular stuff on tablet or laptop I can read up close - say 16" or thereabouts; full screen 60" monitor, I sit about ten feet away and see it pretty well. I've got an old pair of glasses that work for left eye and help with distance, assuming I haven't dripped anything on them since the last time I cleaned them. My office screen is a 42" monitor, and I have it blown way the fuck up, so it's at least readable. I could be more pissed about it, but the other day when I went to the Opthalmo for my monthly needle in the eyeball, an old reffing and general kids' sports buddy was there... he has a big black blind spot covering his focusing area, so he's functionally blind - can "see" things, but no details, needs a stick to feel curbs and stuff... Makes me feel pretty lucky.

But at least I don't have shingles.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 8:07 PM, dcbc said:

So far, so good.  Anybody who has had the vaccine and side-effects: How long did it take for those to appear?

I never had any side effects, other than a sore injection site. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Hate said:

Just suck it up and get progressives. You look stupid with those readers on your nose.

Bought a pair yesterday. Supposed to be here in a few days. Had Lasik in 09 and had to pick far vision. Readers were fine until a year or so ago and now I have big problems reading computer screen 4-5 ft away and up close. Progressives it is.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/2/2024 at 8:18 AM, RPM said:

Bought a pair yesterday. Supposed to be here in a few days. Had Lasik in 09 and had to pick far vision. Readers were fine until a year or so ago and now I have big problems reading computer screen 4-5 ft away and up close. Progressives it is.

Progressives are fine for driving, going to a game or concert, watching TV, etc.  But for computer use, reading, shaving, anything like that, they're awful.  You're constantly tilting your head up and down to focus on different things.  A dedicated pair of blue-light filtered readers for your computer use is the way to go.  One pair for your work computer, one for home, and constantly order new ones.

The half readers are also the best for me.  Despite @Hate's disdain.  Haters gonna hate. 

I've stabilized at 2.5 magnification (I had Lasix in 2004, went about 6 years with no glasses, then the steady decline).  I've found a pair of half glasses on Amazon that come in a 3-pack.  I always have several extras around.  They work out to about $5 apiece, so if I leave one somewhere, no sweat. One by my bed, one by my reading chair, one on my home office desk, one in my truck, one on my desk in my office at work (with a couple of spares in the desk), two in my suitcase, two in my backpack/briefcase. 

I only use my progressives for driving, etc.  Any close-up work that's going to last more than a couple of minutes, I shift to the readers.

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, nnm said:

Progressives are fine for driving, going to a game or concert, watching TV, etc.  But for computer use, reading, shaving, anythink like that, they're awful.  You're constantly tilting your head up and down to focus on something on different things.  A dedicated pair of blue-light filtered readers for your computer use is the way to go.  One pair for your work computer, one for home, and constantly order new ones.

Yeah, my situation is different. I have to read a video wall 12 ft away, computer screens 3 ft away and handheld devices all at my desk. I need nothing for driving. Even bifocals wont work. I need 3 different focus. Thinking about lens replacement, but not sure if it will work after Lasik.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I've had progressives for years and have zero issues. They have blue light, so good for computer work. 

I've had progressives for over 30 years and they are great. I don't have to tilt my head to focus at different distances and it doesn't feel like I am wearing bifocals at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Kilgorehorn said:

I've had progressives for over 30 years and they are great. I don't have to tilt my head to focus at different distances and it doesn't feel like I am wearing bifocals at all.

Similar, I've had progressive lenses for 10 years or so and have never experienced what nnm is describing. 

I wear contacts most of the time because I want to use impact resistant glasses for work stuff (Milwaukee sunglasses).

That's why I use readers.

My regular glasses are progressives.
When the contacts are out & I'm reading stuff via the phone, close stuff like my computer, I just take the glasses off because I don't like that "tilt your head" thing as noted .

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 5:25 PM, Dish Boggett said:

My philosophy is that you can’t have too many of them.  Stash multiple pairs in lots of different places. Night stand , truck, toilet room, office, garage, kitchen.  You will notice they always collect in the same places and you have to redistribute them once a week or so.  We buy them by the 6 pack from the Jeff Besos every couple of months.  

Usually buy the big pack at the wholesale store( BJs), find for some reason one strength is good for phone but not tablet or desktop and another is good for tablet but not for phone or desktop and so forth and so forth. I have several pairs scattered all over the house. 

12 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

What are these blue light glasses? Never heard of such.

I read my tablets & books at least 6 hours a day using 3x readers.

They're just regular readers that have a blue light filter on them.  Although there's a little bit of conflicting information about whether blue light is harmful, it's pretty well accepted that devices such as smartphones, tablets, and computers emit a lot of blue light, and that disturbs sleep cycles, leads to eye strain, etc., etc.  https://www.healthline.com/health/what-is-blue-light.  However, don't believe the hype that it accelerates macular degeneration (relevant for you, IIRC):  https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/will-blue-light-from-electronic-devices-increase-my-risk-of-macular-degeneration-and-blindness-2019040816365

They're not any more expensive on Amazon with blue light blocking.  Here are a bunch:  https://www.amazon.com/blue-light-filter-reading-glasses/s?k=blue+light+filter+reading+glasses.

They also have them in Sam's Club (https://www.samsclub.com/p/members-mark-rectangular-blue-light-reading-glasses-2-pack/P03021843?xid=plp_product_1), Costco (https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?dept=All&keyword=blue+light+reading+glasses), etc., etc.  

If you're going to get a new set of prescription glasses (bifocals or progressives), just have them add a blue light blocker to the glasses.  It'll cost a few bucks, but worth it.  

I'm seriously considering going for an evaluation for hearing aids.  Picking up conversation in a noisy environment just keeps getting harder and harder, but the memories of old farts with ringing feedback that I can hear but they couldn't from my youth gives me pause.  Can anyone speak to the progression in technology in recent years?  If so, please speak up nice and loud!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Woke up at 5:30 thinking I was giving birth, my bladder hurt something fierce. I've been pissing blood intermittently for a little over a year, docs can't figure it out.

CT scan showed a very small kidney stone a few months back. I think it's passing, I've only had stones once 13 years ago but damn this is uncomfortable.

Bright side, if it is a stone, then we are close to passing this SOB.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 2/4/2024 at 9:11 AM, SurlyGator said:

I'm seriously considering going for an evaluation for hearing aids.  Picking up conversation in a noisy environment just keeps getting harder and harder, but the memories of old farts with ringing feedback that I can hear but they couldn't from my youth gives me pause.  Can anyone speak to the progression in technology in recent years?  If so, please speak up nice and loud!

I took my wife to an outdoor shooting range a few months ago, and we had the handgun station to ourselves. She was behind me, over my left shoulder. I had my hearing protection in the entire time, but she lifted her right earmuff to adjust it just as I shot. She has had trouble hearing ever since (including ringing in her right ear), so she went to the audiologist. Sure enough, her hearing is impaired in that ear enough to warrant a hearing aid.

She realizes it was her fault, but every time she tells the story, it sounds like I’m to blame.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Rage+1 2

I have only hair metal rock and grunge to blame...
Same, but different .
Managed a band for 5+ years & was on stage (& in nightclubs for over 10), never using any protection... it was the 80's / 90's.

Wasn't a thing for even foamies.

I have been to an audiologist for testing & they said minor in 1 frequency but overall NBD.

Wife doesn't believe me & refuses to acknowledge that maybe sometimes she shouldn't be facing the other direction & in a different room.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 2/2/2024 at 8:18 AM, RPM said:

Forgot to mention I went to Stanton Optical (2 pair for $79). The optometrist wasn't at the location. It was all done by remote. I have no idea where she was at (DFW/Denver/Taiwan). I walked out with 1 progressive for $499.

I’m misplacing / losing a lot of things lately…

My umbrella a few weeks ago. It seems like I’m looking for my AirPods every other day. I’ve lost 2 small pocket knives, and I’ve been looking for my car key since yesterday…

Some of it is just carelessness, but something something Alzheimer’s.

9 hours ago, Superhero said:

I’m misplacing / losing a lot of things lately…

My umbrella a few weeks ago. It seems like I’m looking for my AirPods every other day. I’ve lost 2 small pocket knives, and I’ve been looking for my car key since yesterday…

Some of it is just carelessness, but something something Alzheimer’s.

Oh, it’s not Alzheimer’s if you misplace your car key; OTOH, if you can’t remember what a car key is for………………..

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 1:25 PM, ROFL BOX said:

Same, but different emoji445.png.
Managed a band for 5+ years & was on stage (& in nightclubs for over 10), never using any protection... it was the 80's / 90's.

Wasn't a thing for even foamies.

I have been to an audiologist for testing & they said minor in 1 frequency but overall NBD.

Wife doesn't believe me & refuses to acknowledge that maybe sometimes she shouldn't be facing the other direction & in a different room.

I have permanent hearing damage in my left ear from a Stones concert about 15 or so years ago at Toyota Center.  Seemed like the speakers were 30 feet to my left and my ear hurt the entire time.  I thought my hearing would return to normal after a few days but it never did.  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

31 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Tip: Never say "what??", say "Babe, say that again, wouldja? Can't hear ya through three doors." 

EDIT: Alternatively, "Sweetheart, don't talk at me if you can't see my face."

Or just don't respond at all, eventually, she will come to you.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I guess it's time for my contribution to this topic.

Having my first ever surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff suffered about 3 weeks ago. Got to 65 without ever needing cut on but my luck finally ran out.

No golf until at least mid-summer depending on rehab.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, Antidean said:

I guess it's time for my contribution to this topic.

Having my first ever surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff suffered about 3 weeks ago. Got to 65 without ever needing cut on but my luck finally ran out.

No golf until at least mid-summer depending on rehab.

Had my right shoulder done the week before Thanksgiving.  The immobilizing sling is a pain, as is having to sleep in a recliner.  Started rehab in December, still going.  Work the PT rehab hard; it hurts like a sonofabitch when you first start it but you will get results.  I have full pain free mobility and am mainly just doing strengthening exercises in PT now.  

I don't know if it is on your dominant arm as mine was.  I bought a portable bidet from Amazon and it was worth every cent.  Wiping your butt with your non-dominant hand is a messy proposition.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, baboso said:

Had my right shoulder done the week before Thanksgiving.  The immobilizing sling is a pain, as is having to sleep in a recliner.  Started rehab in December, still going.  Work the PT rehab hard; it hurts like a sonofabitch when you first start it but you will get results.  I have full pain free mobility and am mainly just doing strengthening exercises in PT now.  

I don't know if it is on your dominant arm as mine was.  I bought a portable bidet from Amazon and it was worth every cent.  Wiping your butt with your non-dominant hand is a messy proposition.

I had my surgery in October. Before I had the surgery I told my wife we were buying a split king adjustable bed. I wasn't going to sleep on the couch this time. It was well worth the money. I never missed a nights sleep and was able to slowly adjust the bed down in as my shoulder relaxed. And in the long term, sleep is so much better.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 10:25 AM, nnm said:

IMG_2448.thumb.jpeg.00bcf8c8bb7e8e18961e601c3efb5f0d.jpeg

My college roommate quit ACC because he couldn’t find a parking spot. Because he lived at home, he drove away from the house every morning so his mom wouldn’t find out. He passed away several years ago. We finally told his mom last year when it came up during a conversation. 

• Haha 1

One hip bothers me a lot - especially when I'm sleeping on my left side (which is most of the time that I'm asleep, so I'm also sleeping like crap). I think I sat too much over the last two years. I damn sure haven't exercised. 

Ringing in the ears is not even a ring, just a constant high pitched sound that I thought was me drinking too much (I was, but that isn't it). 

I need to go for an annual and do all the 45+ shit that I haven't done yet at soon to be 53.

I'm probably dead at the moment. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Crapinon said:

I had my surgery in October. Before I had the surgery I told my wife we were buying a split king adjustable bed. I wasn't going to sleep on the couch this time. It was well worth the money. I never missed a nights sleep and was able to slowly adjust the bed down in as my shoulder relaxed. And in the long term, sleep is so much better.

We have split king adjustable beds as well so I'm not really worried about having to sleep in a recliner.

The surgery is on my dominant shoulder so off to the bidet thread for reqs....

• Like 1